PDA

View Full Version : Sponsor Quotes

bluidkiti
11-06-2013, 12:34 PM
Get a sponsor
Use your sponsor
Be a sponsor

Get a sponsor who makes meetings and uses their sponsor.

Get a sponsor who is louder than you head

Get a sponsor who is a good listener.

MajestyJo
12-21-2013, 07:54 PM
Sponsors are lighthouses, not foghorns. We look to them to see how they do it, not depend on them to tell us what not to do. We already know.

I cannot improve if I only have myself as a model.

- Pocket Sponsor

This reminded me of what my sponsor/spiritual advisor said to me, "You are not responsible for their recovery or their relapse."

Sponsors have been a vital part of my recovery. I don't think it is possible to have true sobriety unless you have one. It is a we program, I needed that one on one sharing. When I found myself in difficult patches, my sponsor's words would come to mind. They are gifts from God.

I have always said, "Look for someone who has been there done it. Someone who has something you want."

They are a vital tool to recovery. Me alone with me is not good company. I need that other person to bounce things off of and to let me know when my perception is off.

http://www.animated-gifs.eu/christmas-wreaths/0039.gif

janbear
12-22-2013, 07:01 AM
Seeing this thread this morning reminds me of the biggest thing I have looked for in a sponsor is one who has what I want. It has taken a lot of trial and error to realize that for myself. My current NA sponsor who i have had for close to 4 years now actually has less clean time than i do. When i asked her i was looking at the quality of her recovery not the quantity. I am grateful for her.

MajestyJo
12-22-2013, 09:10 AM
Thanks for sharing Jan. Not sure if I posted this elsewhere or not. I had the thought to call my sponsor yesterday, but ended up doing my laundry instead. This is something I shared on another site.

Yesterday when I was out, I met three people I knew. I look on these people as guardian angels or spiritual connections, especially when I am going through emotions or situations that are stressful in the moment and it is an indicator that my God is with me. A gentle reminder that I am not alone.

I don't have any sponsee any more because of my health. I don't feel that I can give them what they need. I can't always be there for them and it is important for me to be on call. I will always lend an ear but not able to sit down with someone and work the Steps with them and go to meetings which is important to me as a sponsor.

Sponsorship is a real gift. It helps the sponsor as much as it helps the sponsee.

At the moment, I don't have an active sponsor. I need to get out to meetings and connect with more people as my support group has moved or is moving away. My AA sponsor didn't physically move but mentally and emotionally detached and is dealing with her own issues. I have called her a couple of times in the last month. I don't need one as much as I did at the beginning, but sharing with others is important. That is why I am so grateful for the boards of ***.

I need someone who is open and honest. Someone who will call me on my stuff and yet do it in a manner that I know she cares. With my fibromyalgia, I get what is called the Fibro fog and I seem to get lost, lose concentration and mentally detach from the moment. I use to think it was just old age and I was getting senile. When you share with another, someone who has been there, you know you are not alone. Posted 2009

MajestyJo
12-15-2014, 12:50 PM
My sponsor left for the sunny south, so need to reach out to others and ask for help. She won't be back until next April.

https://sp.yimg.com/ib/th?id=HN.608010805067451589&pid=15.1&P=0