PDA

View Full Version : The Importance Of Your Sponsor

bluidkiti
11-06-2013, 12:37 PM
The Importance Of Your Sponsor

"Our minds can play tricks. We need someone who can help us see things the way they really are. A sponsor is an ideal person to do this. Sponsors usually do not have the biases or personal involvement that distort our thinking, and can be more objective. Sometimes people have difficulties because their sponsors say things they do not want to hear. That is the best indication you have the right person as sponsor. Hearing nice things about yourself does nothing to make you get better. If you feel upset and angry because your sponsor has chastised you, call him or her and say thank you.

Dr. Twerski's Sober Thought

MajestyJo
05-13-2016, 02:35 PM
I have had many sponsors over the years, many I outgrew or they chose to travel a path that wasn't compatible with my recovery journey. I have had Native women as a co-sponsor since I came into recovery. I had a service sponsor and an Al-Anon sponsor, who I ended up sponsoring prior to her passing away. It was so important for me to have a strong support group. I needed someone I could relate to. I needed someone who had something I wanted and couldn't find within myself. I saw them walking their talk and when they stopped or chose to use other substance and substituted them for their drug of choice, I saw them as still using and not clean. A drug is a drug, no matter what form it takes.