PDA

View Full Version : Daily Reprieve - August

bluidkiti
08-08-2013, 10:46 AM
August 1

THE YEARNING

“But He has come to all who have honestly sought Him.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 57

“He has planted eternity in the human heart, but even so, people cannot see the whole scope of God's work from
beginning to end.” Ecclesiastes 3:11

For what it's worth: Even on the darkest days of my drinking there was an unidentified yearning deep in my being. My despair was in the belief I would never satisfy this longing. And I would not if I kept drinking. That is why my sobriety is such a wonderful gift, especially in Alcoholics Anonymous. Here are the tools I needed to identify what I sought and begin my search. I am on an exciting, wondrous journey filled with deep, treacherous waters and peaceful streams. And I need not understand the depths; merely accept they are a place with purpose along the way. Most meaningful is the One I seek took my hand at my first step on this journey, walks with me along the streams, and carries me through the deep waters.

God bless you.
Joe W.

bluidkiti
08-08-2013, 10:47 AM
August 2

MOTIVATION TO BELIEVE

“Faced with alcoholic destruction, we soon became as open minded on spiritual matters as we had tried to be on other questions.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 48

"Your faith has healed you." Matthew 9:22

For what it’s worth: My closed mind and hardened heart stubbornly resisted any thing spiritual. I nearly died all alone and with out a God. However, the agony of advanced alcoholism forced me to listen to people in Alcoholics Anonymous who often spoke of the love of a Higher Power. Moreover, while I was listening, I was drying out and starting to feel the emptiness in my soul. It became so painful that I had to do something. That is what motivated me to open my mind and my heart to the possibility that I was loved by this Higher Power. Living the Steps of AA over a period of sober time, I was able to advance to even trusting this God. Then, with more sober time, I grew to know from my own experience that I was loved by my Heavenly Father.

God bless you!
Joe W.

bluidkiti
08-08-2013, 10:48 AM
August 3

LIFE TODAY - A PRECIOUS TREASURE

“The old pleasures were gone. They were but memories.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 151

“God keeps such people so busy enjoying life that they take no time to brood over the past.” Ecclesiastes 5:20

For what it’s worth: The old pleasures? I am hard pressed to remember any. Moreover, the memories haunt me still. Therefore, when I am enjoying the present, I am overwhelmed with gratitude. Every loss I have ever experienced has been replaced a hundredfold. Every agony I ever suffered has been rewarded with a blessing. The God that I found through Alcoholics Anonymous - totally different from the punishing Judge of my yesteryear - has become my loving Heavenly Father. When I get my past out of His way, trust Him with my future, and just be with Him today, life is, indeed, a precious treasure.

God bless you!
Joe W.

bluidkiti
08-08-2013, 10:49 AM
August 4

RESCUED IN HIS ARMS

“He had stepped from bridge to shore.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 56:4

"But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him.” Luke 15:20

For what it’s worth: A sinking feeling lived in me for years, and I could not see shore or any sign of rescue. As it turned out, I was looking in the wrong direction, depending upon myself. Once I looked to Alcoholics Anonymous, a miraculous rescue occurred, but I was too spiritually sick to recognize it. Later in sobriety I saw clearly that a Power greater than myself was ashore waiting for me, even yelling to me, trying to get my attention. And, as soon as I stepped ashore in AA, my God rushed to me and threw His loving arms around me, and held me close to His heart. Even sober in AA, I have had that sinking feeling return. When it has, as soon as I jump up into my Heavenly Father’s arms, He kisses me and I am safe. It works every time.

God bless you!
Joe W.

bluidkiti
08-08-2013, 10:50 AM
August 5

TRUSTING THROUGH TORMENTED MOMENTS

“…There is no doubt in my mind that you were 100% hopeless, apart from divine help.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 43:2

“I trust in your unfailing love.” Psalm 13:5

For what it’s worth: My disease produced years of torment, relieved only by the grace of God working through Alcoholics Anonymous and professional therapy. Even in sobriety, I have experienced torment, but maintained abstinence from alcohol with divine help. Each ordeal proved to me that I could trust my Heavenly Father’s love. He and I got through the agony one moment at a time. Some time He would put someone or something in my life at just the right moment to divert my attention from my suffering. At other times He would help me get to just the right meeting where the topic would be just what I needed to hear. And, for those moments I was unable to take action, He would hold me close to His heart. I believe that each tormented moment brought me closer to my Heavenly Father.

God bless you!
Joe W.

bluidkiti
08-08-2013, 10:52 AM
August 6

THE THERAPY OF AA

“You fellows are somebody. I was once, but I'm a nobody now.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 157

“Even if I were innocent, my mouth would condemn me; if I were blameless, it would pronounce me guilty.” Job 9:20

For what it’s worth: Spitting at my self in the mirror was not a sign of good mental health. I was loaded with self-hate by the time I finally arrived at the doors of Alcoholics Anonymous. But the people treated me with respect and acceptance, and I grew to realize that, contrary to my previous beliefs, even God must think well of me. After all, Something had guided me to AA and kept me sober long enough to begin to see the changes that were happening to me. And Something was helping me take actions I did not believe I could ever do, like turn my will and my life over to God’s care. Ever so slowly the therapy of AA has rebuilt me from the inside out. Now I smile at myself in the mirror and even do a little jig, if no body is watching.

God bless you!
Joe W.

bluidkiti
08-08-2013, 10:53 AM
August 7

FROM CLOUDED TO CLEAR CONSCIENCE

“Being convinced that self, manifested in various ways, was what had defeated us, we considered its common manifestations.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 64;2

“My conscience will not reproach me as long as I live. Job 27:6

For what it’s worth: Alcohol clouded my conscience. But, once the alcohol was removed, I began to see clearly the destruction left by my self-centered disease. It was only a miracle that I did not drink again to blind me from the sight of that devastation. Instead, a Power greater than me guided me to Twelve Steps where I was blessed to climb out of self-condemnation up to a level of acceptance of my humanness and weaknesses. Fortunately, along the way, this weak human being found a Heavenly Father’s unconditional love. And together we prefer to “continue to set right any new mistakes as we go along” instead of wallowing in shame and self-reproach ever again.

God bless you!
Joe W.

bluidkiti
08-08-2013, 10:54 AM
August 8

WILLINGNESS

“Much has been written pro and con, but among physicians, the general opinion seems to be that most chronic alcoholics are doomed.” Alcoholics Anonymous, The Doctor’s Opinion

“Lift up your hand, O God. Do not forget the helpless.” Psalm 10:12

For what it’s worth: I believed I was a doomed drunk. I would not admit it back then, but I certainly felt helpless. I covered it up well with many masks that fooled people. That is, until I arrived in Alcoholics Anonymous. Those wise folks saw right through my fronts. They had been doomed, but found a Power greater than themselves Who lifted up His hand to free them from the claws of alcoholism. And, despite my resistance, their example proved to me that He would do the same for me. All I needed was willingness. And, in those instances when I did not even have the willingness, they taught me how to get it: go to God and ask Him for it. That has worked every time.

God bless you!
Joe W.

bluidkiti
08-08-2013, 10:55 AM
August 9

WHO AM I TO JUDGE?

“We do talk about each other a great deal, but we almost invariably temper such talk by a spirit of love and tolerance.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 125

“I urge you, brothers, to watch out for those who cause divisions and put obstacles in your way that are contrary to the teaching you have learned. Keep away from them.” Romans 16:17

For what it’s worth: Who am I to judge anyone or anything? Everything in me was sick by the time I came to Alcoholics Anonymous. The good AA folks accepted me for the mess I was. Then they gave me a set of principles that would make me well, the Twelve Steps. They even taught me how to treat them and the rest of the world, using the Prayer of St. Francis, practicing principles before personalities, and applying our code of love and tolerance. And they helped me find a God of my understanding who loves me unconditionally. So, today, I ask my Heavenly Father to help me not judge anyone, not talk about anyone unless my message is positive, and keep away from those “who cause divisions and put obstacles” in my path.

God bless you!
Joe W.

bluidkiti
08-09-2013, 10:29 AM
August 10

STANDING TALL

“As God's people we stand on our feet; we don't crawl before anyone.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 83

“For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline.” 2 Timothy 1:7

For what it's worth: Alcohol forced me to crawl. And still can. All throughout my years of recovery in Alcoholics Anonymous, the Slavedriver lurked in the shadows, waiting to beat me to my knees again. And I have no power to resist other than maintaining a daily spiritual condition that keeps me in God's strong arms. Alcohol can not reach me there. And any time I sense it creeping up, I go to my knees before my Heavenly Father. There I stand tall in the face of alcohol and any other demon attempting to bring me down.

God bless you.

Joe W.

bluidkiti
08-10-2013, 11:31 AM
August 11

HE HOLDS ME CLOSER

“I will never fail you. I will never forsake you." Hebrews 13:5

“At heart we had all been abnormally fearful.” 12 &12 p.123, Step Twelve

For what it's worth: Fear dominated by life. It controlled my behaviors, influenced my thinking, and drove me away from God. Alcohol became my support in life. After years of drinking and driving everyone away from me, I went to Alcoholics Anonymous and begged for help. I felt humbled and empty. Some of the members, specifically that tricky bunch, persuaded me to attend many Alcoholics Anonymous meetings, got me involved in service work, and took me with them on Twelve Step calls. Hanging with the winners, I learned to practice the Twelve Steps, and this was my way to God. He teaches me through the right people and personal experiences. Some days are rough, so He holds me closer.

God bless you.
Joe W.

bluidkiti
08-11-2013, 11:12 AM
August 12

DOING FOR OTHERS

“Ask Him in your morning meditation what you can do each day for the man who is still sick.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 164

"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'” Matthew 25:40

For what it's worth: My self-centered disease dictated what I did for others; nothing. My only interest was to manipulate them to get what I wanted, or to resent them to have motive to drink. That kind of stinking thinking was my pattern for years, so change comes slow, but sure, if I do not take that first drink today and live the Twelve Steps of Alcoholic Anonymous. I use the spot-check and daily inventory of Step Ten, and, on those days I see no progress, I go to my Heavenly Father for guidance. Now-a-days, when I ask Him what I can do for others, He reminds me I am doing it for Him, and then He shows me the Prayer of St. Francis.

God bless you.
Joe W.

bluidkiti
08-12-2013, 10:44 AM
August 13

THE BEST GUIDES

“For the word of God is alive and powerful. It is sharper than the sharpest two-edged sword, cutting between soul and spirit, between joint and marrow. It exposes our innermost thoughts and desires.” Hebrews 4:12 (NLT)

“The persistent use of meditation and prayer, we found, did open the channel so that where there had been a trickle, there now was a river which led to sure power and safe guidance from God as we were increasingly better able to understand Him.” Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, page 109

For what its worth: Stumbling through life drunk destroyed my dreams and left me empty and near dead. I insanely blamed God, not the alcohol. So I looked everywhere – except to God - for meaning and purpose. None was found until I was finally sober and active in Alcoholics Anonymous for years. The persistent example of the members and their sharing about the love of God resulted in my feeble attempt to reach up to God. I reached too far. He was already right there beside me and went to work on me immediately, transforming me into a totally different human being. I had hoped to be an angel of some kind, but, obviously, God wanted me to be simply human – the best I could be. He knew I needed His help, so He offered me two guides: the Bible and the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous. I follow both daily. They have led me on a fantastic spiritual journey, over mountains of beauty, dry deserts, and valleys of death.

God bless you.
Joe W.

bluidkiti
08-13-2013, 09:40 AM
August 14

UNDER OR ABOVE

“Pay careful attention to your own work, for then you will get the satisfaction of a job well done, and you won’t need to compare yourself to anyone else.” Galatians 6:4 (New Living Translation)

“…He goes on to explain that any person capable of enough willingness and honesty to try repeatedly Step Six on all his faults -- without any reservations whatever -- has indeed come a long way spiritually, and is therefore entitled to be called a man who is sincerely trying to grow in the image and likeness of his own Creator.” Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, page 63

For what it’s worth: Alcoholic behavior and resentful thinking had me believing I was the lowest, most hateful and harmful cockroach crawling the earth. And I was, maybe not beneath the heap, but close. I had developed the defects and disgrace to prove it - until the day I joined Alcoholics Anonymous. There, after years of sobriety, with support from the members, and the power of the Twelve Steps, I was lifted out of the slime and started to climb up into my Heavenly Father’s lap. He provides me the willingness to change and helps me remove the filth and shame with Steps Six and Seven. I use those gifts daily, but still need to work hard every day not to compare myself with others. Besides, making comparisons, I am either under or above – always wrong. I am no longer a cockroach, not even close to sainthood, but just as my Heavenly Father wishes me to be right now – a sober, struggling, and simple human example of His merciful love.

God bless you.
Joe W.

bluidkiti
08-14-2013, 12:33 PM
August 15

WHERE I NEEDED TO BE

“A person standing alone can be attacked and defeated, but two can stand back-to-back and conquer. Three are even better, for a triple-braided cord is not easily broken.” Ecclesiastes 4:12 (New Living Translation)

“We alcoholics see that we must work together and hang together, else most of us will finally die alone.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 561 (563), Appendix I, The A.A. Tradition

For what it’s worth: Alcoholism nearly forced me to die alone. There was no one to care, no understanding, no support, and I belied there never would be. This deep despair and horrible aloneness drove me to Alcoholics Anonymous - only to stop the agony, not to get sober, and certainly not to grow close to God. But the Force in Alcoholics Anonymous turned out to be a Power far greater than alcohol, if only I did not take the first drink no matter what. God and I knew this was a task too heavy for me alone, so He mercifully directed me to Alcoholics Anonymous. He knew His sober, loving and tricky drunks would provide fellowship, support, empathy, strength in numbers, just enough shenanigans, and powerful example leading me to His loving arms: right where He always wanted me and exactly where I needed to be.

God bless you.
Joe W.

bluidkiti
08-15-2013, 08:18 AM
August 16

EVEN ME

“No one has ever seen God. But if we love each other, God lives in us, and his love is brought to full expression in us.” 1 John 4:12 (New Living Translation)

“They do not drive by mandate; they lead by example.”
Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, page 135

For what it’s worth: While enslaved in the bottle, I certainly was not a good example of anything other than the progressive horror of alcoholism. Its terror and despair drove me to Alcoholics Anonymous. There, finally and fortunately, I found hope and sobriety. The members did not judge me, nor did they dictate a God to me. They led me to God by their example and their sharing about His love in their lives. After many sober years with these godly people, I have seen God in the expressions of their love for each other, even me.

God bless you.
Joe W.

bluidkiti
08-16-2013, 11:16 AM
August 17

RETIRE THE SWORD

“We relax and take it easy.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 86

“Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the Lord’s purpose that prevails.” Proverbs 19:21

For what it's worth: Control was the answer to life’s trials, but it never worked, and that was always reason for another drink. As with everything else, in sobriety I found the opposite; “letting go”, however, required years of practice in Alcoholics Anonymous. My experience during those years included many hard lessons and convinced this hard-headed drunk that shaking my little, rubber sword at the Powerful Almighty does absolutely no good. I am convinced “the Lord’s purpose” is always for my good, so why not “relax and take it easy”. After all, He is my Heavenly Father; I am His child; He holds me close to His Heart; and, He gives me lollipops every day. Still, occasionally, I shake my little, rubber sword and the Almighty just smiles, but one day soon I will retire my sword and join that serene bunch of drunks who go around smiling all the time.

God bless you!
Joe W.

bluidkiti
08-17-2013, 10:17 AM
August 18

“be strong and courageous”

“This is my command—be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:9

“We need not be discouraged when we fall into the error of our old ways, for these disciplines are not easy.” Twelve and Twelve, page 91

For what it's worth: My alcoholism bred discouragement and fear. Every attempt to find even a small piece of happiness was drowned in alcohol. Despair became intolerable, and relief was sought in Alcoholics Anonymous. In the beginning of A.A., the disciplines certainly were not easy. Often I wanted to give up, but encouragement and support were always available…when humble enough to ask. Trusting God was with me, and the example of A.A. members, carried me through many days of just hanging in there and not drinking. Although, I must admit, God seemed awfully far away on some days.

God bless you.
Joe W.

bluidkiti
08-18-2013, 12:20 PM
August 19

A SIMPLE PURPOSE

“Then comes the acid test: can we stay sober, keep in emotional balance, and live to good purpose under all conditions?” 12&12 p.88

“And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.” Romans 8:28

For what it's worth: Day after day, I wandered around in a haze, lost, with no purpose except to get drunk. I had no life until I was sober in Alcoholics Anonymous; and it was there I found purpose for my life. Fulfilling that purpose each day is vital; it is my life. I may travel the world, discuss the latest scientific findings, understand the deepest philosophies, and expound about the beliefs of every religion, but if I do not keep it simple and maintain my purpose in life, I will have no life. Above all else, no matter what, today I will not drink!

God bless you!
Joe W.

bluidkiti
08-19-2013, 10:47 AM
August 20

The Daily Reprieve

DOUBTS

“We have shared his honest doubt and prejudice.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 45:3
"I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. Mark 11:23

For what it's worth: There was no faith left in me by the time I arrived at the doors of Alcoholics Anonymous. Fortunately, years of witnessing the miracles in AA have birthed faith and trust in me. I can still doubt. However, my experience proves it is always a waste because God always comes through for me. I can hear Him asking me: “Joe, how often do I have to prove that I love you and will never let you down?” I tell Him I am sorry that I still doubt, and beg Him to keep showing me. I do not doubt that He will.

God bless you!
Joe W.

bluidkiti
08-19-2013, 10:48 AM
August 21

The Daily Reprieve

HOPE FOR THE HOPELESS

“The remorse, horror and hopelessness of the next morning are unforgettable.” - Alcoholics Anonymous, page 6

“I have seen his ways, but I will heal him; I will guide him and restore comfort to him…” - Isaiah 57:18

For what it’s worth: The daily worship of my idol, alcohol, led to the “remorse, horror and hopeless of the next morning.” Yet, I returned to my bottled god over and over, drowning out all that had ever been sacred to me, rushing into the dread and despair of an empty soul. I was convinced that God wanted nothing to do with me. By the time I finally walked into a meeting of Alcoholics Anonymous, my spirit was dark and near death. But that single, simple act was the beginning of my resurrection. I was too sick to see it then, but it is clear now. I believe that my Heavenly Father had been waiting for me there in AA. He had seen my ways and knew He had to guide me to a place of
empathy where my lost, empty soul would find comfort and healing, with people who knew how to bring hope to the hopeless: Alcoholics Anonymous.

God bless you!
Joe W.

bluidkiti
08-19-2013, 10:50 AM
August 22

THE DAILY REPRIEVE

BLESSINGS FROM CURSES

“It is a most wonderful blessing to be relieved of the terrible curse with which I was afflicted.” - Alcoholics Anonymous, page 180

“... (By faith) weakness was turned to strength…” – Hebrews 11:34

FOR WHAT IT’S WORTH: Everyday was doomsday during my diseased years. When I walked into my first AA meeting, seeking only relief from agony, I had no faith, no trust, and no hope of finding anything worthwhile. I was too sick to realize it back then, but I did find hope there. That’s why I kept coming back long enough to start understanding that Something was involved in my life, keeping me sober, helping me heal. And, eventually, my sober, healing experiences taught me that I could trust that I was going to be OK. My doomsday attitude gave way to hope and faith. I was getting to know a loving God. More and more experiences proved to me over and over again that my Heavenly Father changes curses into blessings and weakness into strength.

God bless you!
Joe W.

bluidkiti
08-19-2013, 10:52 AM
August 23

THE DAILY REPRIEVE

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

“To some extent we have become God-conscious.” - Alcoholics Anonymous, page 85

“If your sinful nature controls your mind, there is death. But if the Holy Spirit controls your mind, there is life and peace.” – Romans 8: 6

FOR WHAT IT’S WORTH: Spirits certainly controlled my mind. But they were not holy. I never thought about God except with fear and shame. No wonder my spiritual recovery was slow. Looking back, it is miraculous that I even started. Only AA and God could have put this hopeless drunk on a path to spiritual well being. Over the years, thanks to climbing the Steps, I have come to be somewhat “God-conscious.” My problem today is that I have trouble staying focused. I am so easily distracted. My “sinful nature” takes control and before I know it, I’m way off somewhere instead of staying right there with my Heavenly Father. For me, I guess it will always be “spiritual progress rather than spiritual perfection.” But I don’t want to let myself off too easy on this matter, because it is vital to my daily reprieve to have the Holy Spirit be in control. I want the “life and peace” part of that Bible verse above.

God bless you!
Joe W.

bluidkiti
08-23-2013, 11:30 AM
August 24

READY FOR SOME HEAT

“Step Four is our vigorous and painstaking effort to discover what these liabilities in each of us have been, and are.” 12&12 p. 42

“It has frustrated all efforts; its heavy deposit has not been removed, not even by fire.” Ezekiel 24:12

For what it's worth: Denial was not only a part of my alcoholism, it was deeply implanted in the other areas of my character. I would never have recognized this reality had God not granted be sobriety in Alcoholics Anonymous where the Twelve Steps opened the windows of my soul and I could see myself clearly. Some of what I saw had to be corrected immediately or I would have relapsed. But I resisted or even denied other defects until they caused enough pain to demand attention and removal. Still, some are like old cooking pot deposits that refuse to be removed no matter how hard you scrub. Only intense heat can melt them away. These are the defects of my character that I must carry to my Heavenly Father in my daily Seventh Step prayer, begging for the willingness and the strength needed to be rid of any dirt and grime that may remain in my soul. I need to persevere in prayer and be ready for some heat.

God bless you.
Joe W.

bluidkiti
08-24-2013, 12:00 PM
August 25

ACTS OF CHARITY

“You will learn the full meaning of ‘Love thy neighbor as thyself’”. Alcoholics Anonymous, page 153

“Be generous: Invest in acts of charity. Charity yields high returns.” Ecclesiastes 11:1 (The Message)

For what it's worth: Doing for others was not what I did when I was drinking. Once sober, that changed. The people in Alcoholics Anonymous showed me how to do for others by the way they cared for me and by their unselfish acts of charity. Actually, doing for others, carrying the message is part of Alcoholics Anonymous primary purpose. And what an honor it is to be blessed by the grace of God to be one who carries the message! An additional blessing is the plan of action I have been given for coping with many of life’s rough spots. When I hit one and it starts to gather me in, if I do a charitable act for some one, I am free. It works every time I work it.

God bless you!
Joe W.

BW1
08-24-2013, 12:23 PM
And what an honor it is to be blessed by the grace of God to be one who carries the message!

:) hearing the 11th step prayer here... Open channel ...." Work & Speak thru me..."

Then I learn to I put my gratitude into ACTION for Him

bluidkiti
08-25-2013, 11:40 AM
August 26

EXPECT A MIRACLE

“That is the miracle of it.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 85

“So I turned to the Lord God and pleaded with him in prayer and petition, in fasting, and in sackcloth and ashes.” Daniel 9:3

For what it's worth: Life was miserable and I was a slave to alcoholism; so much for my best efforts……..alone. I no longer work alone, and the results are miraculously different. What happened? The misery of my alcohol addiction drove me to Alcoholics Anonymous, where I found the Twelve Steps and a Higher Power. Many sober years were required, but those Steps and God’s grace created me a new man. The power of that fact and my experiences during that time prove to me that, when I turn to God and confidently ask His help, I am no longer working alone, and I need to expect a miracle. It may not look like one and it may be a little one, but it will be a miracle.

God bless you!
Joe W.

BW1
08-25-2013, 12:04 PM
I no longer work alone, and the results are miraculously different. What happened?

First word of step one ...WE WE ;)

bluidkiti
08-26-2013, 09:53 AM
August 27

IMAGINE THAT!

"For our present troubles are small and won’t last very long.

Yet they produce for us a glory that vastly outweighs them and will last forever!" 2 Corinthians 4:17 (New Living Translation)

"Our basic troubles are the same as everyone else's, but when an honest effort is made "to practice these principles in all our affairs," well-grounded A.A.'s seem to have the ability, by God's grace, to take these troubles in stride and turn them into demonstrations of faith." Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, page 114

For what it's worth: All trouble was gigantic during my active alcoholism, until I drank to oblivion. Then I did not notice them until I arrived back in reality and saw they had grown even larger. So, alcoholic oblivion again as soon as possible. Only after years of sobriety, living the Twelve Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous as best I could day by day, did I learn to trust God's love. Being the mistrusting drunk I was, I had to ask God to teach me to trust His love. He did so through some difficult experiences I did not appreciate at the time. Now, however, I see His wisdom. Every suffering, heavy or light, He turned into a blessing He used to build me spiritually or help someone else using me and my experience. Imagine God using this once worthless drunk as His instrument of peace and hope to others!

God bless you.
Joe W.

bluidkiti
08-27-2013, 10:50 AM
August 28

PLANS FOR MY LIFE

"…Our Creator has entered into our hearts and lives in a way which is indeed miraculous.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 25

"The Lord will work out his plans for my life -- for your faithful love, O Lord, endures forever." Psalm 138: 8

For what it's worth: For years I wandered through life in a drunken haze with no plan other than to drink for oblivion to escape the sad reality of what my life had become. In futile attempts to change, I would make notes on a tablet about altering my life. Of course, I was drinking. I could not read it the next morning. Change did occur, though, I got worse. Despair drove me to seek help. Professionals and Church failed. In desperation I finally attended an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting, expecting failure, and finding hope and strength. I was too sick to realize it back then, but today I know that was when my Creator entered into my heart and life. Since then untold miracles have happened. My Heavenly Father is working out "His plans for my life." He works better when I get out of the way. It is like the mechanic’s work shop sign reads: "Labor $50.00 an hour. If you watch $100. If you help $500."

God bless you.
Joe W.

bluidkiti
08-28-2013, 12:41 PM
August 29

“A FLAME OF FIRE”

"Are we now ready to let God remove from us all the things which we have admitted are objectionable? Can He now take them all -- every one? If we still cling to something we will not let go, we ask God to help us be willing." Alcoholics Anonymous, page 76

"The tongue is a flame of fire. It is full of wickedness that can ruin your whole life. It can turn the entire course of your life into a blazing flame of destruction, for it is set on fire by hell itself." James 3: 6

For what it's worth: My tongue destroyed many precious relationships during my drinking years, and it can do the same in sobriety. My own experiences prove to me “this flame of fire” has horrible power to hurt both me and those I love; but it is tragically weak at healing the wounds. I am deeply grateful for Alcoholics Anonymous Steps 6 and 7. I can beg my Heavenly Father for the willingness to be rid of this defect before it sparks a "blazing flame of destruction”. He and I know my tongue has created enough anguish for me and those I have harmed.

God bless you.
Joe W.

bluidkiti
08-28-2013, 12:43 PM
August 30

"I AM HERE"

"Time after time, this apparent calamity has been a boon to us, for it opened up a path which led to the discovery of God." Alcoholics Anonymous, page 116

"I am being found by people who were not looking for me. To them I have said, 'I am here!'" Isaiah 65:1

For what it's worth: Years and years ago, God boarded a train to somewhere far, far from me, leaving me alone and desperate. I believe He was fed up with all of my betrayals. And I knew nothing would bring Him back into my life. Alcohol relieved the loneliness and the fear, but not for long. After years of despair, I attended an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting. There I was introduced to caring people and Twelve Steps that miraculously returned God into my life. His train was right on time, and I can still hear Him say, “I am here, Joe” as He stepped off the train back into my life. The emptiness in my soul is filled, the aloneness is gone, the rage is quieted, and despair is replaced with hope and fear with faith. I hear Him right now: “I am here”.

God bless you.
Joe W.

BW1
08-28-2013, 01:56 PM
August 29

“A FLAME OF FIRE”

"Are we now ready to let God remove from us all the things which we have admitted are objectionable? Can He now take them all -- every one? If we still cling to something we will not let go, we ask God to help us be willing." Alcoholics Anonymous, page 76

"The tongue is a flame of fire. It is full of wickedness that can ruin your whole life. It can turn the entire course of your life into a blazing flame of destruction, for it is set on fire by hell itself." James 3: 6

For what it's worth: My tongue destroyed many precious relationships during my drinking years, and it can do the same in sobriety. My own experiences prove to me “this flame of fire” has horrible power to hurt both me and those I love; but it is tragically weak at healing the wounds. I am deeply grateful for Alcoholics Anonymous Steps 6 and 7. I can beg my Heavenly Father for the willingness to be rid of this defect before it sparks a "blazing flame of destruction”. He and I know my tongue has created enough anguish for me and those I have harmed.

God bless you.
Joe W.

:lipsrsealed: So many great reminders in these readings for me today....

Thank you!!!!!!

bluidkiti
08-30-2013, 11:43 AM
August 31

REACH THE UNREACHABLE

"Afterward, we found ourselves accepting many things which then seemed entirely out of reach." Alcoholics Anonymous, page 47

"The Kingdom of Heaven is like a mustard seed planted in a field. It is the smallest of all seeds, but it ... grows into a tree where birds can come and find shelter in its branches." Matthew 13: 31-32

For what it's worth: Alcoholism reduced me to waste, so how could I ever be anything of value? And, since God was against me, there would be no miracles. That is what I believed when I started in Alcoholics Anonymous. It was confirmed when I heard the Twelve Steps; I could never do most of them. So, for me, sobriety and anything of value was unreachable. In desperation, I began doing what Alcoholics Anonymous people did to stay sober. That was the key. Gradually, doors opened that had been locked. I started listening to the “God stuff”. I even saw God at work in my life, so I stopped fighting Him. And, low and behold, I started progressing in ways I thought impossible. God, in His loving mercy, and working through Alcoholics Anonymous, planted in this once worthless drunk a small seed of hope that I might be able to reach what I believed unreachable. Someday, I might truly believe I am something of value to God and Alcoholics Anonymous.

God bless you.
Joe W.

willbe275
08-24-2018, 06:47 PM
The seventh step prayer.
I pray that you now remove from me every single defect of character which
stands in the way of my usefulness to you and my fellows. Grant me strength, as I go out from here, to do your bidding. Amen.

willbe275
08-30-2018, 11:31 PM
Thank you Joe for that wonderful share from the 29th, I have been sober for over 30 years, and a lot of thing I've said and done during a big chunk of that time was not Pleasant to a lot of people who I was close with especially my wife. but since I've been re-examining and practicing the 6th and 7th step my life has done a complete 360 degree turn, there a saying in NA about staying clean but living dirty applied to me at one time, but not today. I thank God for putting people in my life that help me turn around and be a blessing to others. I have made my amends, and I do a tremendous amount of service on a regular basis.