PDA

View Full Version : More Recovery Thoughts and Quotes - August

yukonm
08-05-2013, 06:43 AM
August 5

AA 'Big Book' - Quote

Much to our relief, we discovered we did not need to consider another's conception of God. Our own conception, however inadequate, was sufficient to make the approach and to effect a contact with Him. As soon as we admitted the possible existence of a Creative Intelligence, a Spirit of the Universe underlying the totality of things, we began to be possessed of a new sense of power and direction, provided we took other simple steps. We found that God does not make too hard terms with those who seek Him. To us, the Realm of Spirit is broad, roomy, all inclusive; never exclusive or forbidding to those who earnestly seek. It is open, we believe, to all men. - Pg. 46 - We Agnostics

Hour To Hour - Book - Quote

Occasionally we get a glimpse of how others have truly seen us. It is a dreadful experience and if it weren't for the loving attitude of our fellowship, we sometimes could not bear it. But the growth process is worth the pain as we slowly transform into the people we have always pretended to be.

Thank You, for the love of the fellowship to see me through my painful growth forward.

Always Here

Today I recover the spirit that has always been there, vibrating just beneath the surface of my being, the membrane of my life. I am whole and in tact. I call to that part of me that has been waiting patiently for me to come to my senses and claim it. That part of me that is eternal, that never dies. Spirit has been with me even in my darkest hours. I turn and look, I quiet my mind and see, I rest in awareness and experience. Spirit has never been far, but I have been asleep. Today I wake up to spirit.

I am alive to life

- Tian Dayton PhD

Pocket Sponsor - Book - Quote

When egos collide, use kind words, do what you have control over, and do what you think is right. Surrender what you don't have control over, even if you think what others are doing is wrong. Others have the right to be wrong.

I define myself by what I do and how I do it, not by who wins.

"Walk Softly and Carry a Big Book" - Book

Sober and Serving.

Time for Joy - Book - Quote

In quiet meditation I listen to my own Higher Power. I connect with my personal spirituality in my own time and place.

Alkiespeak - Book - Quote

If I share my pain and shame I cut in half. If I don't, I double it. - Anon.

yukonm
08-06-2013, 06:44 AM
August 6

AA 'Big Book' - Quote

THE A.A. TRADITION

To those now in its fold, Alcoholics Anonymous has made the difference between misery and sobriety, and often the difference between life and death. A.A. can, of course, mean just as much to uncounted alcoholics not yet reached.
Therefore, no society of men and women every had a more urgent NEED for continuous effectiveness and permanent unity. We alcoholics see that we must work together and hang together, else most of us will finally die alone. - Pg. 561 - 4th. Edition - Appendices - I - The A.A. Tradition

Learning to let go does not mean to stop caring. It means that you cannot do it for someone else. Nor can they do it for you. Only you can listen, go to meetings, follow steps--your parents, friends, or partner can't do it for you.

Help me understand that for those I love to let go of me, means they are giving me a chance to get well.

Inner Hearing, Inner Sight

Today, I will trust my own heart. The clear message that whispers within me has more to tell me than a thousand voices. I have a guide within me who knows what is best for me. There is a part of me that sees the whole picture and knows how it all fits together. My inner voice may come in the form of a strong sense, a pull from within, a gut feeling or a quiet knowing. However my inner voice comes to me, I will learn to pay attention. In my heart I know what is going on. Though I am conditioned by the world to look constantly outside myself for meaning, today I recognize that it is deeply important for me to hear what I am saying from within. I give myself the gift of listening.

I will trust my inner voice.

- Tian Dayton PhD

Before our recovery we used people and loved things and given recovery we learn to love people and use things. Things are not important, people are.

I treat others the way I would be treated.

You can work the Steps to get out of trouble or you can work the Steps to stay out of trouble.

Today I do not need to say the first thing that comes into my head, or react to what others say about me. Today I can practice restraint of tongue and pen. I will think before I speak and say kind things or nothing at all.

Non alcoholic beer is for non alcoholics. - Anon.

yukonm
08-07-2013, 07:23 AM
August 7

AA 'Big Book' - Quote

Although these reparations take innumerable forms, there are some general principles which we find guiding. Reminding ourselves that we have decided to go to any lengths to find a spiritual experience, we ask that we be given strength and direction to do the right thing, no matter what the personal consequences may be. We may lose our position or reputation or face jail, but we are willing. We have to be. We must not shrink at anything.
Usually, however, other people are involved. Therefore, we are not to be the hasty and foolish martyr who would needlessly sacrifice others to save himself from the alcoholic pit. - Pg. 79 - Into Action

There are no magic wands or burning bushes in our program. Just footwork and faith.

My footwork right now is to not use any mind-affecting chemical and go to a meeting today.

The Treasures Within

Within me is the perfect life waiting to awaken. The gifts I seek are already within me. A deep pool of awareness and aliveness is present all of the time but I am too distracted to know it. I get so lost in the superficial details and tasks of my life that I forget to live it, to drop down and contact the spirit that God has planted within me. It is the best kept secret that spirit lives within me, that the way in which I come in touch with my inner light is through letting the constant preoccupations of my mind float by, not taking them so seriously, not trying to control them. Today I realize that the gold is not in my ability to control my mind, the gold is in what lies beneath. What emerges when my mind, for a precious moment, is stilled.

Spirit is with me always

- Tian Dayton PhD

Who knows why they are chemically dependent? The answer will not change the fact, and yet many continue to question, why? Indeed, they need an answer, but they are asking the wrong question. The real question is, 'How can I become free?' Free of the fear. Free of the pain. Free of the bondage.

I do not receive the right answer when I ask the wrong question.

Make the solution so big, the problem does not exist.

Today I will do all that I am capable of doing at this time of my life to free myself of past mistakes. And then I will let go and live in my now fully enjoying today.

I had these two things in my 4th Step I really didn't want to share. So I thought; 'Well she doesn't know they're in there, I'll just skip them.' So I'm all ready to go when she said; 'Before we start lets say a little prayer.' and she said something like; 'Dear God let Pat be honest tonight.' I couldn't believe it! So I read the whole thing. It took me longer to read those two things than all the rest of the pages - I just sobbed hysterically. But I did it - What I felt after that, was committed to AA. I knew I had done something that night that I couldn't do. - Pat Y.

yukonm
08-08-2013, 07:49 AM
August 8

AA 'Big Book' - Quote

It was only a matter of being willing to believe in a Power greater than myself. Nothing more was required of me to make my beginning. I saw that growth could start from that point. Upon a foundation of complete willingness I might build what I saw in my friend. - Pg. 12 - Bill's Story

Now is the time for action with our welcoming. As people come to their first meetings, shaking, scared, and confused, we give them our phone numbers, take them to meetings, and teach them what we have already learned. We use each day at the end of our first month as a forum to help others, not just with words now but with action.

Higher Power, as I understand You, show me on my 28th day how to help one other person in their recovery.

Being with Life

Today, I allow myself just to be with life. Somehow it doesn't have to prove anything to me or give me any more than I already have to be okay. The lessons I have learned through sincere dedication to my own inner growth, have taught me that I can face my most difficult feelings and still come home to a place of love and acceptance. Life is always renewing itself; nothing lasts, good or bad, and that is just the way it is. It is enough today to enjoy my coffee, to take a walk, to appreciate the people in my life. I can rest in a quiet sort of understanding that this is what it's all about; all the searching turned up such an ordinary but beautiful thing.

I am enraptured with the ordinary

- Tian Dayton PhD

Our lives become very different once we learn to magnify our blessings the way we have our troubles.

What I think about enlarges. Am I enlarging my blessings or my troubles?

Practice these principles in all your affairs'or change your affairs.

The peace that I feel in my life is growing richer every day. As I continue to walk on my spiritual path to recovery, I let myself be guided by truth and love. Conflict is leaving, making more and more room for charity, serenity and usefulness.

I argued with my sponsor about God. He wrote on a piece of paper: 'God as I understand God is...' and said, 'Go home and finish this sentence. So, I thought about this for a long time, then wrote pages and pages about what I thought was the quintessential distillation of every theory, every religious notion about God. And here I had created the perfect one. I took it back to him, he didn't even look at it, he just crumpled it up and said: 'Good, now go home and pray to it.' - John L.

yukonm
08-09-2013, 07:51 AM
August 9

AA 'Big Book' - Quote

As we discovered the principles by which the individual alcoholic could live, so we had to evolve principles by which A.A. groups and A.A. as a whole could survive and function effectively. It was thought that no alcoholic man or woman could be excluded from our Society; that our leaders might serve but never govern; that each group was to be autonomous and there was to be no professional class of therapy. - Pg. xix - 4th Editon - Foreward To The Second Edition

When our minds clear (as the drugs of alcohol, cocaine, pot, crystal, and heroin work out of our system), our betrayals become clear. It is painful knowing we betrayed the trust of our parents, our lovers, our children, our employers and our friends. Most of all we betrayed ourselves. Our steps are the steps out of the betrayal.

Higher Power, as I understand You, help me face my betrayals with courage, knowing that each step will contribute to healing the betrayals.

Appreciating What I Have

Today I won't let my desire for more, blind me to what's already here. My life is full of blessings that I look right past when all I see is what's missing rather than what is there. Desire is natural and good, I need to feel it to grow and reach beyond myself. But today, I will appreciate what I already have before I ask for more. Appreciation is like water on a plant, it causes good to grow in my life. What I appreciate expands. It grows before my eyes, it deepens and widens. The mere act of appreciation somehow creates more of what I am already giving thanks for. It opens doors to the coffers of this generous world and invites the its bounty to come in. Appreciation lets the creative universe know that I am grateful for what is being so freely given to me.

Today I will appreciate what I have knowing that it opens a doorway to increase

- Tian Dayton PhD

'Forgiveness is not an occasional act; it is a permanent attitude.' ~Martin Luther King. Undoubtedly, there are many on your list to forgive. There is only one whom you must forgive--that is yourself.'

Because my Higher Power forgives me, I forgive myself.

It's the twelve steps, not the twelve standstills.

Today I will take the time and quiet I need to find that place of peace and happiness within me. Whatever happens outside of me will never replace that which I can find within me wherever I am.

Divine aid was AA's greatest asset. - Bill W.

yukonm
08-10-2013, 07:43 AM
August 10

AA 'Big Book' - Quote

Alcoholics who have derided religious people will be helped by such contacts. Being possessed of a spiritual experience, the alcoholic will find he has much in common with these people, though he may differ with them on many matters. If he does not argue about religion, he will make new friends and is sure to find new avenues of usefulness and pleasure. He and his family can be a bright spot in such congregations. He may bring new hope and new courage to many a priest, minister, or rabbi, who gives his all to minister to our troubled world. We intend the foregoing as a helpful suggestion only. So far as we are concerned, there is nothing obligatory about it. As non-denominational people, we cannot make up others' mind for them. Each individual should consult his own conscience. - Pgs. 131-132 - The Family Afterward

When people stop and find excuses for not going to 90 meetings in 90 days, 'I can't find enough time.', then they really aren't ready to let go of their disease. Is it more important of us to watch TV, talk on the phone, and complain then take that hour for our sobriety?

My Spiritual Source helps me value what will save my life and sanity.

Self Importance

I will get my mind off of the treadmill. There is more to life than my worries and obsessions. Just for today I won't give every little thing more importance than it deserves. In the scheme of things, all of my petty annoyances aren't all that important. I don't have to take them so seriously that they disturb my inner peace. When I am constantly preoccupies with all that's wrong, I forget to remember all that's right. Self importance is different from valuing myself. Self importance gets me tied up in mental knots, valuing myself is nourishing and loving.

I will get out of my own way today

- Tian Dayton PhD

We find that the smallest deed is better than the grandest intention.

My actions speak louder than words. What are my actions saying now?

Keeping their secret keeps you sick.

Today I know my Higher Power is guiding me through the changes I choose to make in my life.

I have all the energy I need today to make these changes as easily and effortless as I wish.

No big shots in AA; One shot and we're all shot. - Unknown origin. ( Aussie Version ); No seniority here. One drink and back to the vomit, - Campsie Mick.

yukonm
08-11-2013, 07:49 AM
August 11

AA 'Big Book' - Quote

So we think cheerfulness and laughter make for usefulness. Outsiders are sometimes shocked when we burst into merriment over a seemingly tragic experience out of our past. But why shouldn't we laugh? We have recovered, and have been given the power to help others. - Pg. 132 - The Family Afterwards

Recovery is an attribute of two personalities which bear a relationship one to the other. This is our self and our higher self or God-self. There are two of us: self and God-self. We do not walk this path alone. It used to be self and drug-self. Now it is self and God-self.

Let me know that I do not walk this road alone but I am always with my higher self who holds my best interests in mind.

Body Memories

Understanding and thought are distributed throughout all the cells in my body. Who I am is stored in my physical self. My body carries memory and knowledge about how I have responded to the circumstances of my life, about what I brought into this world to begin with.. Today when I think positively, I will allow and invite my entire body to carry a positive thought. I will instruct each cell within me to be active, healthy and vibrant. Each time that I feel I am getting low on reserves, I will open all of my body to receiving uplifting light and energy from the universe. I am not a talking head. I am a body, mind and spirit, alive in all of me.

I ask my body to wake up and live.

- Tian Dayton PhD

If you have never experienced the results of working the Twelve Steps, no explanation is sufficient. If you have experienced the results of working the Twelve Steps, then no explanation is necessary.

I am the poster child for the miracles I cannot explain.

Slow and sure.

I will take time today to stop and give a gift to someone needy, smile at a stranger or help a small child.

I will take the time to do at least one thing that I usually find myself too busy to do, and I will inwardly smile at myself, taking the time to experience the feelings of my own kindness.

I picked up this little pamphlet and on the back page it said 'Are you concerned about your drinking? If so call this number collect. 'So I called and I talked to this woman, and I told her some lies. I told her that a lot of people with whom I'd been working had drinking problems and could she help me to help them? And she said yes, there was literature and places that people could go, and she gave me lots of information and said she'd send me some books. We had a wonderful conversation and I just knew if I could just read this whole thing correctly I'd know how to control and enjoy my drinking.. And just as I was about to hang up she said: Sister, would you like to tell me a little bit about your own drinking?' She just knew. She said: 'I don't think you'd be making a long distance call at midnight if you were concerned about other people's drinking. And that was a moment of grace for me because I was able to break down and cry into the telephone to this strange voice to whom I'd never spoken before. I said: 'I don't know what to do, I don't know who to tell, I don't know where to go for help.' I'd become a public figure and I didn't want anybody to know and I was very afraid. And she said: 'Well why don't you start going to some AA meetings and listen to the feelings.' - Sr. Bea M.

yukonm
08-12-2013, 06:33 AM
August 12

AA 'Big Book' - Quote

Your prospect may belong to a religious denomination. His religious education and training may be far superior to yours. In that case he is going to wonder how you can add anything to what he already knows. But he will be curious to learn why his own convictions have not worked and why yours seem to work so well. He may be an example of the truth that faith alone is insufficient. To be vital, faith must be accompanied by self sacrifice and unselfish, constructive action. - Pg. 93 - Working With Others

The slogans may sometimes annoy us in their simplicity. But repetition is an important learning tool. Think of the repetition that alcohol, cocaine, marijuana and depressants bring. Now you can understand the necessity of slogans to counteract the repetition of addiction.

As I go into this next hour of a clean and sober day, may I welcome the repetitions of recovery.

Life is a Spiritual Journey

No one can learn the alphabet for me. And no one can develop wisdom, appreciation or inner strength for me. These are things I have to do for myself. What is life but growth and expansion, increasing my understanding so that I can deepen my experience of feeling alive? There are gifts in healing if I am willing to see them, lessons I can learn, awareness's that I need in order to appreciate what I already have. Sickness can be my teacher if I let it. Even as I wait for strength to return to my body, still my spirit and my character can grow stronger and better and more refined. I am not doing nothing as I lie here, I am growing on the inside. Today I will use this moment that puts me into a deeper part of myself to come in contact with an openness to grow. I am in touch with a part of life that I normally don't get in touch with.

I am understanding and expanding my inner world.

- Tian Dayton PhD

When you continually don't like the way people treat you, it is usually because you are cooperating with the treatments.

The difference between me being a victor or a victim is ability. Response ability.

Success means getting your 'but' out of the way.

Today I am letting go of all judgments.

I am releasing all negative emotions.
I am quietly going within and trusting my inner spirit and I will know what is right for me.

A lot of doctors believed that alcoholism was caused by a Valium deficiency. - Trip S.

MajestyJo
08-12-2013, 07:37 AM
Chuckles, I think it is suppose to be "butt" out of the way, but no matter how you say it, spell it, or think it, for the most part it is true. Getting out of our own way and not sabotaging ourselves, we often can't stand success any more than we can stand failure. When things fail it is other people or God's fault. When we succeed, we can take the credit and forget that our power comes from our God and He deserves the accolade.

Love the last quote, my doctor was my dealer for years and had to change doctors in recovery. The key was me getting honest with my new doctor.

http://www.angelwinks.net/images/love11.jpg

yukonm
08-13-2013, 07:15 AM
Jo, you do make a point. It can read true whether spelled 'but' or 'butt'. In this case, I can remember making suggestions to my sponsee and she had a lot of 'buts'. I know I should pray in the morning 'but'....I know I should pick up the phone, 'but'......I know I should go to a meeting, 'but'

August 13

AA 'Big Book' - Quote

His alcoholic problem was so complex, and his depression so great, that we felt his only hope would be through what we then called 'moral psychology,' and we doubted if even that would have any effect.
However, he did become 'sold' on the ideas contained in this book. He has not had a drink for a great many years. I see him now and then and he is as fine a specimen of manhood as one could wish to meet. - Pgs. xxxi-xxxii - 4th. Edition - The Doctor's Opinion

Just for Today. Day by Day. 24-hour program. Don't use today, forget about yesterday and tomorrow. Only 24 hours at a time. One day at a time. Take a daily inventory. All of these sayings are trying to enforce the idea that our program is a NOW program. The sooner you live in the now, the sooner you will find freedom.

Grant me the patience to live in this hour by the principles that are growing in my heart.

I Will Live in My Body as Well as My Head

I cannot hold onto life any more than I can hold onto a rain storm, a cloud or a sun set. I will not know how to be, what to do or how to act if I am ever living in my head. I have to live in my body, too, in the present, spontaneously part of the moment with head and heart in balance so I can sense where I am and where the current of life is taking me. So that we can be free of what is in the way of manifesting our own good. So that we can live in the present unencumbered with unresolved pain from the past. So that we can stop repeating the same old dysfunctional patterns from our past in our relationships in the present.
Emotional balance allows us to live in this alive and ever changing present so that we can respond spontaneously to any given moment or any given situation. So that we have the inner balance to be responsive, flexible and alive. So that we can live in the present.

Living in my head limits my spontaneity.

- Tian Dayton PhD

People in our society stress that we ought to be happy. If you're not happy something is wrong, we are lead to believe. Yet, unhappiness is not a symptom of sickness, it is an expression of life, a natural reaction to situations we don't like. When **** happens, you don't have to like it.

I will not be unhappy about being unhappy.

If you live on the edge of the program, you might fall off.

Today is a day of opportunities.

I am open and ready to find them all, knowing that I am receiving all the guidance I need to be forward and be happy.

Seven days without a meeting makes one weak. - Anon.

yukonm
08-14-2013, 06:47 AM
August 14

AA 'Big Book' - Quote

To be gravely affected, one does not necessarily have to drink a long time nor take the quantities some of us have. This is particularly true of women. Potential female alcoholics often turn into the real thing and are gone beyond recall in a few years. Certain drinkers, who would be greatly insulted if called alcoholics, are astonished at their inability to stop. We, who are familiar with these symptoms, see large numbers of potential alcoholics among young people everywhere. But try and get them to see it! - Pgs. 33-34 - More About Alcoholism

Our new life-style calls for a new self-responsibility. Is there something we are committed to do this afternoon? Go to a group, go to a meeting, call a friend, pray? We begin the process of being responsible by being on time, keeping promises, doing what our sponsor says.

Give me the persistence to meet my obligations this afternoon.

The Mystery

Today, I accept that part of myself that will never be satisfied, and I comfort and tame it. There is a place in me that knows it will never necessarily solve the eternal questions of life: Who am I and where do I come from, and where do I go when I die? At times, I can get depressed about that and feel that there's no real point to life. But I am beginning to feel that to accept and love this side of myself is what also gives life beauty and meaning. Perhaps meaning is not knowing and understanding, but an acceptance of mystery, an embracing of the unknown. After all, it is that mystery that gives even the most ordinary circumstance an eternal sort of glow - a sense of depth, a feeling that there is more.

I accept that I will never fully understand - I embrace the mystery.
- Tian Dayton Phd

'The soul is restless and furious; it wants to tear itself apart and cure itself of being human.'- Ugo Betti

Going to a lot of meetings is important, supportive, and full of fellowship. However, our program is not about meetings but what happens in between meetings.

Do I align my actions with the picture I paint of myself in meetings?

If you have two addictions, throw two bucks in the basket.

Today I trust what I feel and I listen to my inner voice.

It does not matter if it is logical or if others agree. My feelings and emotions guide me on a path that is right for me.

Rome wasn't built in a day - That's because and alcoholic didn't get the contract. - Broken Hill Jack.

yukonm
08-15-2013, 07:22 AM
August 15

AA 'Big Book' - Quote

There are those too, who suffer from grave emotional and mental disorders, but many of them do recover if they have the capacity to be honest. - Pg. 58 - How It Works

You never have to be alone again. Where ever you are, the Fellowship is close by and always, always where ever you are, your Higher Power is too!

Hi God!
I may not have a clear conception of You -- I may not truly believe. However, I've come this far and right now I just want to say 'Hi.'

My Only Job

My only job is to work my own recovery. I cannot work anyone else's recovery for them, I can barely keep up with my own. When I get my head stuck in other people's issues and become preoccupied with how they are doing, I lose my own grounding. Today I will ask myself the questions that are important for me to answer. HALT. Am I too hungry, angry, lonely or tired? If the answer is yes to any of these, I will attend to myself so that I don't act out, get down or pick up. I will ask myself if I have gotten enough exercise and rest. I will eat nutritious foods that give me the energy I need for my recovery and stay away from those foods that cause my blood sugar to spike then fall, leaving me depleted. I will seek out companionship and connection. I will make sure that I have kept time in my day for reflection and meditation.

I can take charge of my own experience.

- Tian Dayton Phd

Today I will spend more time putting my own needs aside to help someone.

It is good that I can be filled with such good feelings and I get so much when I give of myself.

Sanskrit saying 'God sleeps in the mineral, awakens in the plants, walks in the animals, and thinks in you.' The Universal Source of life actually thinks in you. Use this well.

Every bad choice I ever made began with a single thought. Every good choice I ever made began with a single thought. I choose my thoughts carefully.

Don't romance the drug.

We left the meeting, I was really angry. I said: 'I'm never going to that meeting again. And I'm never sharing again!' Mick said: 'Oh, you've got to share Greg.. you never know when you might tell the truth. - Greg.

yukonm
08-16-2013, 06:51 AM
August 16

AA 'Big Book' - Quote

Here is the fellow who has been puzzling you, especially in his lack of control. He does absurd, incredible, tragic things while drinking. He is a real Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. He is seldom mildly intoxicated. He is always more or less insanely drunk. His disposition while drinking resembles his normal nature but little. He may be one of the finest fellows in the world. Yet let him drink for a day, and he frequently becomes disgustingly, and even dangerously anti-social. He has a positive genius for getting tight at exactly the wrong moment, particularly when some important decision must be made or engagement kept. He is often perfectly sensible and well balanced concerning everything except liquor, but in that respect he is incredibly dishonest and selfish. He often possesses special abilities, skills, and aptitudes, and has a promising career ahead of him. He uses his gifts to build up a bright outlook for his family and himself, and then pulls the structure down on his head by a senseless series of sprees. - Pg. 21 - There Is A Solution

Complete involvement in this new way of life will keep you from falling through the cracks. If you stay in the middle of us, you won't fall off the edge.

As I follow those before me, newcomers will follow behind me and I will always be in the middle of the path of progress.

First Things First

I will not forget that this disease is more powerful than me. When I try to fix others, I will remember that all of my good intentions can easily be out powered by the intention of the disease to remain in place. When I get frustrated because others don't seem to 'get it' the way I am getting it, I will remember that one day I stood in their shoes and that by the grace of God I am no longer there. When I want them to hear what I am saying, I will remember that I can only really teach by example, that I will allow them to see the changes in me and my life and I will remind myself that I lead and share by who I am not by what I say. Others will heal in God's time not mine. Others will see in God's time not mine. Just for today, the only recovery I am truly responsible for, is my own.

- Tian Dayton PhD

Another day of recovery begins and we start this day with surrender. 'From that point, each of us is reminded that a day clean is a day won.' (P 86, NA Basic Text)

When I surrender; I win.

The best approach to any angle is the 'try' angle.

It feels so good to know that I'm capable of making my own decisions and following my own path.

My Higher Power is my guide and my inner voice is my teacher and friend.

Drinking doesn't wash my troubles away
it irrigates them. Anon.

yukonm
08-17-2013, 07:30 AM
August 17

AA 'Big Book' - Quote

A co-founder of Alcoholics Anonymous. The birth of our Society dates from his first day of permanent sobriety. June 10, 1935.
To 1950, the year of his death, he carried the A.A. message to more than 5,000 alcoholic men and women, and to all these he gave his medical services without thought of charge.
In this prodigy of service, he was well assisted by Sister Ignatia at St. Thomas Hospital in Akron, Ohio, one of the greatest friends our Fellowship will ever know. - Pg. 171 - DOCTOR BOB'S NIGHTMARE

Compulsive behavior is characterized by the need to be better than, sooner than, bigger then, more than. This creates pressure which creates stress, which for us creates danger! That is why we take the slogan 'Easy Does It,' seriously.

Help me to enjoy the journey, slow down and not expect five years of recovery in five weeks.

Hesitation

Today, I will walk the walk and talk the talk. It will not be good for me, ultimately, to half commit myself. In a way, the particular path that I take is less significant than that I take a path. I can second-guess myself and my experience. Commitment to a path is really commitment to myself. I am allowing myself to take a clear direction, one in which I can actualize my talents on a day-to-day basis, one that will allow me to build a foundation and a structure in which I can live. I will have a passion in life, a passion that takes me beyond myself, a passion to love, nourish, be led and challenged by. I will follow it, and it will follow me.

- Tian Dayton PhD

How to share what it was like, what happened, and what it is like now. Be sincere. Be brief. Be seated.

When I share, I share to draw attention to the message, not the messenger.

Controlling life isn't the answer, it's the problem.

Today I know that whatever is in my life I have put there and therefore I can let it go as well.

Today I have faith and trust that I can take an honest look at what needs to be changed in my life.

Resentments come in the back door - wearing sunglasses. Anon.

yukonm
08-18-2013, 07:03 AM
August 18

AA 'Big Book' - Quote

THIS WAS STEP FOUR: A business which takes no regular inventory usually goes broke. Taking a commercial inventory is a fact-finding and fact-facing process. It is an effort to discover the truth about the stock-in-trade. One object is to disclose damaged or unsalable goods, to get rid of them promptly and without regret. If the owner of the business is to be successful, he cannot fool himself about values.
We did exactly the same thing with our lives. We took stock honestly. First, we searched out the flaws in our make-up which caused our failure. Being convinced that self, manifested in various ways, was what had defeated us, we considered its common manifestations. - Pg. 64 - How It Works

Do you feel like you are compelled to do everything perfectly now that you're sober? Impatient for everything to be normal? Take three deep breaths and relax. You are right where you are supposed to be and all will unfold in it own good time.

The world ran in spite of the fact that I was 'out of it' in the past. Help me accept that the world will chug along without me while I recover, too.

Out of My Pores Please

I do not want this disease in my life any more. For as long as I remember, this illness of addiction surrounds me. It is everywhere in my family. The distorted and stinkin' thinking, the grandiosity, living on the edge, the inability to face reality and the unwillingness to be humbled by our own powerlessness in front of the disease tears at my heart and sickens my stomach. I see its poison enveloping generation after generation. I am disgusted, horrified and deeply saddened by witnessing the wreckage of this illness.

- Tian Dayton PhD

'Resentment' is when you didn't get your way yesterday. 'Anger' is when you don't get your way today. 'Fear' is that you won't get your way tomorrow.

There are no good reasons for resentment, anger, and fear-- just good excuses.

Progression: The bottom will start falling out faster than you can lower your standards.

I have all the time in the world to do God's Will for me today.

I trust that my Higher Power is filling me with all the energy that I need for this 24 hours.

Trying not so much to think of myself less, as less of myself. - Brian.

yukonm
08-19-2013, 07:18 AM
August 19

AA 'Big Book' - Quote

We realize some men are thoroughly bad-intentioned, that no amount of patience will make any difference. An alcoholic of this temperament may be quick to use this chapter as a club over your head. Don't let him get away with it. If you are positive he is one of this type you may feel you had better leave. Is it right to let him ruin your life and the lives of your children? Especially when he has before him a way to stop his drinking and abuse if he really wants to pay the price. - Pg. 108 - To Wives

Some addicts have returned to using mind-affecting chemicals because they tried to 'cope forever' and couldn't face never, ever using anything again. But you can maintain abstinence by just not picking up that first dose of anything NOW. Forget forever.

Give me the understanding that what I cannot do for a lifetime, I may easily do right now.

Denial

Denying this disease does not make it go away. I have watched this disease wrap its tentacles around three generations now. I have watched each generation pretend that it wasn't all that bad, that it didn't do all that much damage, that they didn't really need help. But they did. I have seen my family not drink or drug and imagine that that meant they we were not sick. They couldn't see that the relationship issues that we all suffer from are related to this disease. This disease takes many form because addiction is traumatizing to all concerned, and trauma creates emotional and psychological problems that do not necessarily get better by themselves.

- Tian Dayton PhD

Resistance is only a waste of strength.

I value myself today.
I value everything about me.

I am finding people who value me as much as I value myself. I am attracting people who treat with me with love and respect.

If you catch the disease of alcoholism you stay alive. If you don't you die. - Scott R.

yukonm
08-20-2013, 05:56 AM
August 20

AA 'Big Book' - Quote

Everybody knows that those in bad health, and those who seldom play, do not laugh much. So let each family play together or separately, as much as their circumstances warrant. We are sure God wants us to be happy, joyous, and free. We cannot subscribe to the belief that this life is a vale of tears, though it once was just that for many of us. - Pgs. 132-133 - The Family Afterward

All our past 'good intentions' were fragmentary at best, facades at worse. Some of us didn't mean to mess things up, some of us did mean to, always justifying our inadequacies by blaming parents, spouses, society, or God. This hour we must accept who we are, and stop looking around for the culprit--he is us!

May I recognize, as this program teaches, that I am at the root of my own problems and this hour, I can be at the root of my recovery.

Past Anger and Resentment

I need to find a way to experience my old anger and resentment without living in it. When I live in it, I ruin my own day. When I deny it, I create a dark spot on my emotional lungs that keeps me from being able to breathe deeply and fully. When I get lost in anger and resentment, I spend all my time justifying why I have a right to be angry and making all of my painful or negative feelings about someone else and not me. When I pretend that I don't have anger that I do have, I keep myself from feeling and processing it, I hold myself back from learning and growing from what I will learn about myself and the disease. Today, I will allow myself to feel my own anger and see what it has to tell me before I dump it, act it out, make it about someone or something else or medicate it. I will sit with it and let it sit with me. I will witness my feelings without trying to control them.

- Tian Dayton PhD

God didn't do it!

God doesn't do anything to me, but always through me.

If you're not working with others, then others will be working with you.

Today I am beginning to experience all that I am, a unique and interdependent human being.

I feel unique and alive and unlimited.

I am free to experience love and joy.

He asked how she could tell if her husband was lying. She said; 'Watch his lips. If they move, he's lying. - Anon.

yukonm
08-21-2013, 07:48 AM
August 21

AA 'Big Book' - Quote

When we decide who is to hear our inventory and we are prepared for a long talk. We explain to our partner what we are about to do and why we have to do it. He should realize that we are engaged upon a life-and-death errand. Most people approached in this way will be glad to help; they will be honored by our confidence.
We pocket our pride and go to it, illuminating every twist of character, every dark cranny of the past. Once we have taken this step, withholding nothing, we are delighted. We can look the world in the eye. We can be alone at perfect peace and ease. Our fears fall from us. We begin to feel the nearness or our Creator. We may have had certain spiritual beliefs, but now we begin to have a spiritual experience. The feeling that the drink problem has disappeared will often come strongly. We feel we are on the Broad Highway, walking hand in hand with the Spirit of the Universe. - Pg. 75 - Into Action

When we feel that fate has dealt us a bad hand with chemical dependency, we simply remember that many people have MS, or cancer, or diabetes, or lupus, or heart disease, or. There are many diseases that people have for a lifetime. We simply do what we have to in order to obtain and maintain remission.

When I tend to pity myself, let me count my blessings. I have a chronic disease that is easily put in remission with abstinence. Others are not so lucky.

Alone

I will not try to get better all by myself. Trauma and depression are diseases of isolation, they make you want to withdraw, recoil and isolate. I will reach out and ask for help. I will go to meetings and let the program wash over me. I will accept 'the kindness of strangers.' I am not bigger than my disease; my disease is huge, pervasive and powerful. But I don 't have to face it alone nor should I.

- Tian Dayton PhD

Do it right the first time. If you don't have the time to do something right, when will you have the time to do it over?

It takes less time for me to do something right, than to explain to my sponsor why I did it wrong.

Keep an open mind, something may fall in.

God is guiding me in all my thoughts and plans and actions.

I have given up all my struggling and self-defeating messages and have turned over all my thoughts to the power and energy of goodness and love.

If everything is coming your way...you're in the wrong lane. - Anon.

yukonm
08-22-2013, 07:21 AM
August 22

AA 'Big Book' - Quote

They said to me, 'Do you want to quit drinking? It's none of our business about your drinking. We're not up here trying to take any of your rights or privileges away from you, but we have a program whereby we think we can stay sober. Part of the program is that we take it to someone else who needs it and wants it. Now is you don't want it, we'll not take up your time, and we'll be going and looking for someone else. - Pg. 186 - Alcoholic Anonymous Number Three

Right now you are safe. Whatever is troubling you is not so bad that your sponsor or another group member cannot help. Call them as soon as you find a phone.

Grant me the humbleness to call for help whenever I feel threatened, lonely, angry, or in any way separated from my spiritual health.

Arrogance and Grandiosity

I will not get lost in the arrogance and grandiosity that dog this disease 's trail. These are compensations for pain and fear. I won 't buy myself off with grandiose fantasies as a way of feeling big inside. I will go to meetings and experience my smallness, face it with courage and let myself slowly become right sized. Grandiosity and arrogance are part and parcel of this disease, defenses against feelings of helplessness. Today I can tolerate my own inner world.

- Tian Dayton PhD

Embrace all of your emotions for they are what make you, you. 'Hold them in an embrace of total acceptance and in that embrace you will not be agonized any more. Do you think the Christ never cried? Do you think the Buddha never ached? You are not going to be less human, you are going to be wholly human.' ~Bartholomew, I Come as a Brother

I become one with myself by embracing all of me, because I am all of me and I won't be less!

Life is fragile; handle with prayer.

Today I accept all responsibilities of my life.

It feels good to know that I am in charge of my life and can accept the outcome of my decisions.

I'm not much, but I'm all I think about. - Anon.

yukonm
08-23-2013, 07:44 AM
August 23

AA 'Big Book' - Quote

We reviewed our fears thoroughly. We put them on paper, even though we had no resentment in connection with them. We asked ourselves why we had them. Wasn't it because self-reliance failed us? Self-reliance was good as far as it went, but it didn't go far enough. Some of us once had great self-confidence, but it didn't fully solve the fear problem, or any other. When it made us cocky, it was worse. - Pg. 68 - How It Works

If someone on the program talks rather harshly to you, it is because they too have been where you are. They will not pity you because pity leads to self-pity which leads to mind-affecting chemicals. Sometimes reality is harsh, and we won't hide that from you in our program.

When another in the program is harsh with me, help me to see the love behind the harshness, the reality behind my pain.

Shifting Helplessness to Powerlessness

Today I will allow my feelings of helplessness that I cannot help to shift to a powerlessness that I choose. Powerlessness leaves room for spiritual awakening. Helplessness is part of trauma. When I allow myself to shift into powerlessness, I make a profound move inward and upward. The helplessness that I carry from the disease, that feeling that nothing I can do will make a difference, transforms into a spiritual recognition and I can let go and let God in. I can stop being Cysifus pushing the same rock up the same mountain. I can step out from under the disease.

- Tian Dayton PhD

The birth of resentment is blame. Often from the center of your bad feelings you seek someone to blame and yet if you 'find' this someone, it can only serve to increase your misery. Blame increases misery because it gives you something to focus on again and again. 'Resentment' is from Latin, meaning to 'feel again.'

By eliminating blame, I don't allow 'them' to live rent free in my head.

What would my Higher Power do?

Everywhere I turn I know that I am being supported by a powerful, positive energy.
I am finding love and support wherever I go.

He said 'If you'll repeat sober what you said last night, I'll leave you and never bother you again. I said I'd do that on one condition: That he tell me what I said last night. - Anon.

yukonm
08-24-2013, 06:34 AM
August 24

AA 'Big Book' - Quote

Each individual, in the personal stories, describes in his own language and from his own point of view the way he established his relationship with God. These give a fair cross section of our membership and a clear-cut idea of what has actually happened in their lives. - Pg. 29 - There Is A Solution

Our recovery is not just 'not using.' It is not just a program of 'not doing' something but is an action program where we must 'do' certain things to maintain our abstinence and grow. We learn what to do by reading our literature, attending meetings, and listening to our sponsor.

Help me to live clean and sober by DOING and not just 'not doing.'

Healed, Whole and Handling Life

I will get out of my own way today. When I get tied up in my head my life becomes one giant rationalization. I cannot move in any direction, I cannot access what I feel, I cannot find my own hope and healing. Today I will surrender, I will 'let go and let God.'
I will place my hand in the hand of my Higher Power and trust that I will be led. I will stop trying to outsmart this disease and release my life and will into the loving hands that can guide and sooth me, that can save my spirit. I do not have to do this alone.

- Tian Dayton PhD

Sporadically, even with a strong program, you may feel spiritually dead or emotionally empty. We're addicts, it happens! No matter how dead or empty you sometimes feel, this too shall pass.

It came to pass- it didn't come to stay.

Egotism is the drug that soothes the pain of stupidity.

I no longer want to repeat the same mistakes over and over again

Today I take the time to slow down and examine the source of my difficulties so that I can move on a clear path with freedom.

Habit is habit. And not to be flung out the window by man, but coaxed downstairs, a step at a time. - Mark Twain.

yukonm
08-25-2013, 06:43 AM
August 25

AA 'Big Book' - Quote

...it was Dr. Bob's afternoon off - he had me to the office and we spent three or four hours formally going through the Six-Step program as it was at that time. The six steps were:
1. Complete deflation.
2. Dependence and guidance from a Higher Power.
3. Moral inventory.
4. Confession.
5. Restitution.
6. Continued work with other alcoholics.

Dr. Bob led me through all of these steps. At the moral inventory, he brought up several of my bad personality traits or character defects, such as selfishness, conceit, jealousy, carelessness, intolerance, ill-temper, sarcasm, and resentments. We went over these at great length, and then he finally asked me if I wanted these defects of character removed. When I said yes, we both knelt at his desk and prayed, each of us asking to have these defects taken away. - Pg. 263 - 4th. Edition - He Sold Himself Short

How are you feeling right now? Do you have flash reactions to everybody and everything? If we give ourselves a few minuets by counting to 10, we will give ourselves the gift of time so we can stop helping others control us by triggering negative behavior reactions.

Higher Power, may I have the presence of mind to count to 10 slowly before reacting to negative triggers from others?

Helplessness and Rage

When I feel I can do nothing to correct the situation I am in, to cure the disease that has taken so much from me I can collapse into a place of helplessness and rage. And when I get into that place I am an emotional, quivering heap, an accident waiting to happen, a powder keg waiting to explode when ignited by just about anything. This disease hurts so much. It makes me feel crazy. It makes me want to scream at people and call them idiots. But I have been down that road before, many times, and it gets me nowhere and does no one else any good. Today, I will humble myself before the power of this disease to destroy lives. I will recognize my own powerlessness. I will invite God and time and prayer in.

- Tian Dayton PhD

We hug a lot. This can make newcomers uncomfortable because they are not used to being given love and attention without serious strings attached. By your example, you can teach them there are no strings to this love.

A hug is a great gift. One size fits all.

People who seek a sponsor without faults, will be without a sponsor.

I am so pleased with all the growth that I am experiencing.

It is OK to feel good about myself; and I do.

The counselor said: 'You're full of denial.' I said; 'No I'm not.' - Tony.

MemphisMike
08-25-2013, 02:07 PM
I can really identify with the words of Dr. Dayton. I let my temper get the better of me last week. I tried my best to count to ten.

I DID make it to 9.5 which is better than usual.

yukonm
08-26-2013, 07:04 AM
August 26

AA 'Big Book' - Quote

It may seem incredible that these men are to become happy, respected, and useful once more. How can they rise out of such misery, bad repute and hopelessness? The practical answer is that since these things have happened among us, they can happen with you. Should you wish them above all else, and be willing to make use of our experience, we are sure they will come. - Pg. 153 - A Vision For You

It is important to stay away from 'trigger' people and places. These old influences can 'trigger' an overwhelming desire to use: bars, pot smoking, using friends, drug parties, cocktail parties, dealers, angry relatives, liquor stores, concerts, etc. We each need to determine our personal 'triggers' and stay away from them.

Divine Intelligence helps me honestly identify and stay away from my 'triggers.'

The Three C's

I didn't cause it, I can't control it and I can't cure it. I didn't cause it, I can't control it and I can't cure it. I didn't cause it, I can't control it and I can't cure it. I need to repeat and repeat this to myself in order to deal with my powerful disease of codependency that actually makes me feel that I did cause this disease, I can control it and I can cure it. When I get into this trap I lose myself all over again. I get into fights that cannot be won, I alienate others, I give away my power and I wind up feeling terrible about myself. Today I will not try to do the impossible. I will remember that my only job is to get better myself.

- Tian Dayton PhD

In light of your recovery, when dealing with family and friends, you may have to make some unpopular decisions and enforce them. Be open to moving toward the middle of issues that don't com-promise your principles and going to any length for those that do.

My recovery is Twelve Steps past any lengths.

Some people are so successful in AA they turn out almost as good as they used to think they were when they were drinking.

Today I am open to be touched by love, by joy, by nature.

Today I put aside all the happiness that I seek so that I can be free to experience the joy of this very moment . . . right now.

A definition of an alcoholic: A drunk with a conscience. - Keith D

MajestyJo
08-26-2013, 11:56 AM
Walk Softly and Carry a Big Book" - Book

Some people are so successful in AA they turn out almost as good as they used to think they were when they were drinking.

That is like the words I use to say to husband #2, if you were as half as smart as you think you are, you would be brilliant. :( The tongue can be a terrible weapon, it cuts deep, and often the scar is invisible, and it festers inside eroding body, mind, and soul. Even words spoken in retaliation and anger, and you have a two-way warfare.

bluidkiti
08-27-2013, 11:39 AM
August 27

AA 'Big Book' - Quote

The alcoholic may say to himself in the most casual way, 'It won't burn me this time, so here's how!' Or perhaps he doesn't think at all. How often have some of us begun to drink in this nonchalant way, and after the third or fourth, pounded on the bar and said to ourselves, 'For God's sake, how did I ever get started again?' Only to have that thought supplanted by 'Well, I'll stop with the sixth drink.' Or 'What's the use anyhow?'
When this sort of thinking is fully established in an individual with alcoholic tendencies, he has probably placed himself beyond human aid, and unless locked up, may die or go permanently insane. These stark and ugly facts have been confirmed by legions of alcoholics throughout history. But for the grace of God, there would have been thousands more convincing demonstrations. So many want to stop but cannot. - Pgs. 24-25 - There Is A Solution

Many times in beginning sobriety, we have absolutely insane thoughts and feelings! But remember that transformation and insanity often intersect. The process of change is fraught with ambiguity--as long as you don't use, you're OK.

As long as God is running my life, my insanities will be used for the highest good of all and are nothing to be afraid of.

Trauma

This disease is traumatizing. It is shocking. It takes away my sense of normal. It makes people I love unpredictable and scary. It undermines my trust and faith in an orderly and predictable world and in my primary relationships. The earth beneath me feels unsolid, shaky and unreliable. And when I feel like this, I want to hold on tighter, to control, to fix and pin things down so I won't have to feel this way any more. Today I will accept these feelings as natural and I will breath through them and give them space to move through me knowing that there is a new kind of solidity growing daily within me. The power of presence.

- Tian Dayton PhD

Harold Kushner, author of When Bad Things Happen To Good People said that pain is the price we pay for being alive. So instead of wondering why we feel pain, more correctly we should ask, 'What can I do to make my pain mean something more than suffering?'

A No Pain; No Gain/Know Pain; Know Gain

If you're not getting mad at meetings, you're not going to enough meetings.

Today I am discovering who I am. Today I am becoming my person, worthy of developing all of me. Today I am beginning to know that I am okay just the way I am.

I never went to bed with an ugly woman/man, but I sure woke up with a few.- Bobby Bare song.

yukonm
08-28-2013, 07:38 AM
August 28

AA 'Big Book' - Quote

A man of thirty was doing a great deal of spree drinking. He was very nervous in the morning after these bouts and quieted himself with more liquor. He was ambitious to succeed in business, but saw that he would get nowhere if he drank at all. Once he started, he had no control whatever. He made up his mind that until he had been successful in business and had retired, he would not touch another drop. An exceptional man, he remained bone dry for twenty-five years and retired at the age of fifty-five, after a successful and happy business career. Then he fell victim to a belief which practically every alcoholic has - that his long period of sobriety and self-discipline had qualified him to drink as other men. Out came his carpet slippers and a bottle. In two months he was in a hospital, puzzled and humiliated. He tried to regulate his drinking for a little while, making several trips to the hospital meantime. Then, gathering all his forces, he attempted to stop altogether and found he could not. Every means of solving his problem which money could buy was at his disposal. Every attempt failed. Though a robust man at retirement, he went to pieces quickly and was dead within four years. - Pgs. 32-33 - More About Alcoholism

Positive clean thoughts of ourselves are a must. It is important to 'picture' ourselves speaking at meetings, 12th stepping newcomers, laughing, cleaned up and well groomed, and holding our heads high. These clean and sober thoughts help counter years of drunk and dirty thoughts.

I see myself laughing and sharing with others.

Loving My Family and Hating the Disease

I can love my family and hate the disease. I can love myself and hate the disease. This disease is more powerful than the human body's and psyche 's ability to fight it off sometimes. It enters the human body and makes it tense, hyper-vigilant and addictive. It floods our minds and makes our thinking distorted, depressed and disturbed It wraps itself around our hearts and makes us feel hopeless. It infiltrates relationships with mistrust, resentment and paranoia. This disease has invaded and degraded my family system. But I can do little to change that unless each family member seeks out recovery and works a vigorous program. Dabbling in a little 'help' only scratches the surface of the problem. This disease is powerful and needs to be treated as aggressively as a spreading cancer. Today I know that the only person I can heal is myself. If anyone else chooses recovery, it will be through the power of example and their own free will.

- Tian Dayton PhD

When you are having trouble doing one day at a time and it feels as though several days have attacked you at once, realize that nothing except your own thoughts can really attack. In fact, it is only your own thoughts that can prove to you that you have not been attacked or singled out unfairly.

I counter thoughts of 'unfairness' with the realization that I am very lucky the world has not paid me back for all the wrongs I've caused.

Thank God for what you have. TRUST GOD for what you need.

Today I am worthy of being gentle with myself.
I am worthy of it and I am going to give myself gentleness and softness.

I am developing a new habit of being softer with myself today . . . of not driving myself so hard.

Today I will drive myself less and know that my Higher Power gives me the energy I need to do what needs to be done in this day.

I will stop pushing myself as hard as I do.

I will stop for a moment and get renewed by the energy that I receive when I know that my Higher Power is holding my hand.

Selfishness, self-seeking and self-centeredness sound the same but I learned they're different: Selfishness is 'It's all for me.' - Self-centeredness is 'It's all about me' - Self-seeking is 'What's in it for me?' - Scott R.

yukonm
08-29-2013, 06:19 AM
August 29

AA 'Big Book' - Quote

We used to amuse ourselves by cynically dissecting spiritual beliefs and practices when we might have observed that many spiritually-minded persons of all races, colors, and creeds were demonstrating a degree of stability, happiness and usefulness which we should have sought ourselves. - Pg. 49 - We Agnostics

Whether we have lost our family, friends, or our dignity through this devastating affliction, the greatest loss of all was our relationship to our Higher Power.

Higher Power, as I understand You, I give thanks for my return to You.

A Spiritual Awakening

Today I am open. I understand that a spiritual awakening is my path to healing. My life looks different. I am learning to allow it to unfold a day at a time. I am becoming aware of the deeper experience of being alive. The morning and I meet and greet each other like old friends. I am alive and in this world for another day by the grace of God. I am in charge of my body, mind and soul and it feels right and good. I belong to this world and this world belongs to me, I am meant to be here. I am learning to let life work out rather than forcing it into place. I am living simply and enjoying simple pleasures. I am awake and alive for one more day.

- Tian Dayton PhD

There may be a great temptation to believe that some sort of sacrifice is being asked of you when you are told you must accept reality. After all, isn't it reality that keeps messing up your fantasies? Do reality; it is the easier softer way.

Reality check: I am here 'X'

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Book" - Book

Self-will cannot be overcome by Self-will.

Everywhere I turn I find positive and loving people.

My heart is full of peace and love.

I'm the type who, if he has to shift a refrigerator up 15 flights of stairs, and sees a guy with a refrigerator mover's uniform on, who says; 'Can I help you bring that up the stairs? I'll do it for free.' I'm the type who say: 'Nah, I think I've got it.' - Charlie C.

yukonm
08-30-2013, 07:17 AM
August 30

AA 'Big Book' - Quote

Many doctors and psychiatrists agree with our conclusions. One of these men, staff member of a world renowned hospital, recently made this statement to some of us: 'What you say about the general hopelessness of the average alcoholic's plight is, in my opinion, correct. As to two of you men, whose stories I have heard, there is no doubt in my mind that you were 100% hopeless, apart from divine help. Had you offered yourselves as patients at this hospital, I would not have taken you, if I had been able to avoid it. People like you are too heartbreaking. Though not a religious person, I have profound respect for the spiritual approach in such cases as yours. For most cases, there is virtually no other solution.' - Pg. 43 - More About Alcoholism

Many of us have not gone this long without some kind of chemical for many years. We feel awkward, uncomfortable and in physical pain. It seems like too much is being asked of us. Sometimes we romanticize the 'good times' when we were using. But we must now trust that thousands of addicts have lived through this hour and go on to a better one.

God, as I understand You, show me that I can go to a better hour, day, and life!

The Next Right Action

My only job today is to take the next right action. I cannot solve my life in a day. I cannot erase my past in a day nor do I even want to. All I need to do is the task at hand as well and sincerely as I can. When I do that sincerely and daily, the rest takes care of itself. When I don 't I get overwhelmed with my own fears and pain and I eventually feel immobilized and stuck. I will not oneness about tomorrow because the only day I am in is today and the only moment I can do anything about is now.

- Tian Dayton PhD

Did you know that the word 'share' derives from the Old English word for 'shear' which means to cut or divide? To share with others means to divide your burden. Each time you share, you leave another little piece of the weight of your burden with them.

By sharing, I divide; by dividing, I lighten my load.

Chapter Five is called 'How It Works,' not 'Why Me?'

It feels so good to be alive and to be part of this universe.

No matter where I am in my life today, no matter what it is that I am doing, I know that I am growing richer and richer with love and with life.

NUTS = Not Using The Steps. Mickey B.

yukonm
08-31-2013, 09:30 AM
August 31

AA 'Big Book' - Quote

We found that as soon as we were able to lay aside prejudice and express even a willingness to believe in a Power greater than ourselves, we commenced to get results, even though it was impossible for any of us to fully define or comprehend that Power, which is God. - Pg. 46 - We Agnostics

Are you angry or about to get angry? We have learned that only one thing causes anger: not getting what we think we want, need, or deserve. Whether it is attention, money, respect, sex, admiration, things, or security, it means not getting what we think is our just deserts.

As I do what I know is right in any given situation, anger will be replaced with a reliance on my Spiritual Source and that source will provide what I need.

Keeping My Soles in the Room

I will get myself to a meeting today. I won 't go to hear anything life altering or to say anything brilliant. I will just go to keep my soles in the room knowing that my soul will somehow follow, even if I cannot fully see it. I will go to gather my senses, to hear what I hear, to get them emotional or limbic balance that comes when I sit with others like me in a room that is dedicated to telling the truth in a calm way. My limbic or emotional system is balanced by other humans 'read mammals' like me through a phenomenon called limbic resonance. When I sit with a room of calm people my nervous system calms, too. I actually repattern my neurological wiring in this way, I develop pathways for experiencing my emotions calmly by being around others who are doing that.

- Tian Dayton PhD

Relapse is part of recovery: NOT! What the fellowships say is keep coming back SOBER. Members warn of the very real danger of that last relapse: stepping in front of a car or bus, overdosing, being institutionalized, and death! The truth is, any relapse can be your last. Never kid yourself, relapse is part of the disease process, not part of our recovery process.

I do not help people work on their recovery by OKing working on their disease. OK

It's not what you get from a meeting, it's what you take to a meeting.

Today I respect my body, mind and spirit and am taking care of all three.

I am gentle and nurturing, putting my needs first. Only then can I be well enough to help others with their needs.

I've had some lousy days sober. Some-down-in-the-dirt, drooling-on-myself, miserable low-life ugly days sober - But I've had fifteen and a half wonderful years. - Earl H.