PDA

View Full Version : Your Brain On Alcohol

MajestyJo
08-09-2013, 10:26 AM
Sent a notice to a long time friend who lives in Texas and he forwarded the following to post on the site. He sent an e-mail to his friends that read as follows:

I sent your email to a great many friends.

Hope some of you will check it out and support the site, by just letting us know you are there.

From EVERYDAY HEALTH

Your Brain on Alcohol: Too Rewarding for Some

Alcoholics release abnormally high levels of the reward chemical dopamine in their brains when they drink.

http://www.everydayhealth.com/addiction/your-brain-on-alcohol-too-rewarding-for-some.aspx?xid=aol_eh-news_2_20130805_&aolcat=HLT&icid=maing-grid7%7Chtmlws-main-bb%7Cdl16%7Csec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D353684

The link is good but very explicit. If the pictures bother you, turn it off!

MajestyJo
04-28-2014, 01:46 PM
Thanks for sharing. I found I lost a lot of me along the way to recovery. Every time I picked up, I lost some principles, some manners, some good thoughts and starting to do things that I would never dream of if I was sober. Alcohol and drugs give us false courage.

MajestyJo
07-11-2014, 03:30 PM
No matter what happens in today is worth picking up a mind altering substance. Substitution did NOT work, I ended up using both and more.

No such thing as just a little bit alcoholic. I can not drink safely. If I have or think a couple of drinks, I am thinking of two bottles.

Does not matter what you drink, some could not drink what they called the hard stuff, I could not handle beer, did NOT like the smell or the taste. Someone once told me that after three it gets better, I could never get by the first one. A good reason to convince me I was NOT an alcoholic.

It did not matter that I could match my ex-husband drink for drink with him drinking beer and me drinking rye and coca-cola, and it was me who drove home, walked a straight line, and his friend said that he had never seen me drunk. You can not walk into the Legion at noon and close it at night and be sober, even if you went home for dinner and came back.

My mind could talk me into anything. Justify my behaviour and rationalize why I did it. One of the reasons that I was one of the really sick ones.

http://www.animated-gifs.eu/mammals-cats-42/0014.gif

MajestyJo
08-08-2014, 02:35 AM
We could use a little clarification in the differences between the following as applied to the Fourth Step:-

1. Selfish

2. Self - Centered

3. Self - Seeking

Any and all input is welcome. Thanks for your help.

Arlene

From a Big Book Dictionary:

Selfishness=(noun) stinginess resulting from a concern for your own welfare and a disregard of others

Self-centeredness=(adj) limited to or caring only about yourself and your own needs

Self-seeking=(noun) taking advantage of opportunities without regard for the consequences for others.

"First, we searched out the flaws in our make-up which caused our failure. Being convinced that self, manifested in various ways, was what had defeated us, we considered its common manifestations."

"Referring to our list again. Putting out of our minds the wrong others had done, we resolutely look for our own mistakes. Where had we been selfish, dishonest, self-seeking and frightened? Though a situation had not been entirely our fault, we tried to disregard the other person involved entirely. Where were we to blame? The inventory was ours, not the other man's. When we saw our faults we listed them. We placed them before us in black and white. We admitted our wrongs honestly and were willing to set these matters straight."

"We reviewed our own conduct over the years past. Where had we been selfish, dishonest, or inconsiderate? Whom had we hurt? Did we unjustifiably arouse jealousy, suspicion and bitterness? Where were we at fault, what should we have done instead? We got this all down on paper and looked at it. .........We subjected each relation to this test--was it selfish or not? We asked God to mold our ideals and help us to live up to them. We remembered always that our sex powers were God-given and therfore good, neither to be used lightly or selfishly nor to be despised and loathed."

You'll note that self-centered isn't used in relation to the fourth step(in the Big Book), though selfishness and self-seeking are. All three are manifestations of the 'self' that page 62 readily defines as the root of my problems as an alcoholic.

Selfishness is stinginess..........'MINE'!
Self-centeredness is 'the world revolves around me and what I want, think, and AM..........ain't I special'
Self-seeking is 'I'll take that opportunity at your cost, you moron!'

Been known to engage in those manifestations once or twice myself........LOL

~~~True ambition is the deep desire to live usefully and walk humbly under the grace of G-d.~~~

Graced

Posted on another site in 2004

At the moment, can't think of putting it any better than what was said above.

All I know is that they are part of my disease and I needed a spiritual healing on my attitude and change the stinking thinking to healthy thoughts.

http://angelwinks.net/images/iq/qcmonkeywredlips1.jpg