PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Spiritual Meditations - 1/23

bluidkiti
01-22-2014, 12:04 PM
Today, help me God, to let go of my resistance to change. Help me to be open to the process. Help me believe that the place I will be dropped off will be better than the place I was picked up. Help me to surrender, trust and accepts even if I don't understand. --Melody Beattie

God is as near as our breath.

When your words fail, pray the Lord's Prayer.

Don't be afraid of tomorrow, for God has already been there.

By knowing God, we can face the future with joy.

"I may not be where I want to be, but I'm not where I used to be, I'm heading where I'm meant to be
and God is watching over me." --Terri McPherson

No matter how tough life gets, if you can see the shore [of heaven] and draw your strength from Christ, you’ll make it.
--Randy Alcorn

Each time we discover God's comfort in our own suffering, our capacity to help others is increased.

As we seek God, He makes Himself known to us.

"Security is not the absence of danger, but the presence of God."

Remember, whatever trials we may be going through, with God we can get through them, just as Jesus did when He was on earth.

God is our pilot and He will fly us through no matter what the obstacles are!

A New Beginning by Parise Arakelian
Proverbs 16:3 – Depend on the Lord in whatever you do, and your plans will succeed. (NCV)
The table is set in the dining room of the seniors' assisted care facility where I reside. Three of us ladies share this table each day. After the meal one day, we got into a conversation noting that there were several in our community who present themselves with a downcast countenance. "I could see where they could be depressed, especially if they were limited in what they can do," one of the ladies offered. "Maybe they might even want to die," was another response.
As I considered these comments, the realization came to me that seniors need to be encouraged to lead productive lives. Why not take advantage of the clean slate the new year provides and set some goals to work toward?
* Physical: Start a walking routine. Add a brisk walk to encourage the function of the brain. Decrease eating tasty morsels which can add pounds.
* Mental: Increase activities like word search, word play, and crossword puzzles.
* Spiritual: Draw strength by reading the Scriptures and/or study with others in a structured setting. Pray — it is a source of power. Take time to relax.
* Emotional/relationship: Decide to give the gift of forgiveness for an old hurt. Practice patience where historically we have been impatient.
Each of us can live a life of fulfillment. Look at the life of Job. When the book opens, he was probably seventy years old. The book ends on a note of contentment and peace:
Job 42:16-17 – Job lived on another 140 years, living to see his children and grandchildren — four generations of them! Then he died — an old man, a full life. (MSG)
How do we plan to live out our days?
Lord, thank You for this new year. We depend on and trust You as You guide and strengthen us each day. Thank You for the many blessings You will give us as we lead meaningful lives for You. This we ask in Jesus' name. Amen.

Truth Handlers by John Stuart
Acts 7:54-59 – 54 When they heard these things they were cut to the heart, and they gnashed at him with their teeth. 55 But he, being full of the Holy Spirit, gazed into heaven and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing at the right hand of God, 56 and said, “Look! I see the heavens opened and the Son of Man standing at the right hand of God!” 57 Then they cried out with a loud voice, stopped their ears, and ran at him with one accord; 58 and they cast him out of the city and stoned him. And the witnesses laid down their clothes at the feet of a young man named Saul. 59 And they stoned Stephen as he was calling on God and saying, “Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.” 60 Then he knelt down and cried out with a loud voice, “Lord, do not charge them with this sin.” And when he had said this, he fell asleep.
Sometimes people can't handle the truth. I know that I hate being criticized, especially when it's true. I get all defensive and begin to fluster. I get angry inside, and I want to go on the offensive, beating down my opponent with strong words and half-truths, which only make things worse. And if those mechanisms don't work, then I turn to the old tried-but-true tradition of blocking out what people say or write. If I can't hear them, if I don't see them, then I can get on and do what I want to do.
Does it sound familiar? It's a human failing, and sadly, it's one that we all are guilty of. In the context of today's Scripture passage, a whole host of religious people are being told the truth by Stephen, and they can't handle it. He's telling them that they've murdered the Messiah and that they are guilty of resisting the Holy Spirit. He's letting them know what they have done is wrong, and they just can't stand it.
They screech and yell and cover their ears, so that they don't have to listen to Stephen. And when he doesn't shut up or go away, they resort to violence — the grand human solution to all our persistent problems. When we can't handle the truth, we bash the truth-sayer, by killing him — in our hearts, our minds, or even with our hands.
To accept the truth is to accept responsibility. To accept responsibility is to recognize that we have failed. To know that we have failed is to put ourselves into a position of humility. And to be humiliated means that we need to go to God to confess our sins and look to Him for mercy, before we can find peace for our agitated souls.
Today, we may find ourselves in unfavourable situations, amongst people who will tell us that what we are doing is wrong. The question we face is this: will we continue to justify our actions and ignore the criticism, or will we choose to change our ways in the light of the truth?
Lord Jesus, You know us completely, and we cannot hide the truth from You. We are far from perfect, and we make many mistakes. In Your mercy, forgive our faults, and by Your grace, restore us to Your favour. In Your holy name, we pray. Amen.

When The Wind Blows Author Unknown
Years ago a farmer owned land along the Atlantic seacoast. He constantly advertised for hired hands. Most people were reluctant to work on farms along the Atlantic. They dreaded the awful storms that raged across the Atlantic, wreaking havoc on the buildings and crops. As the farmer interviewed applicants for the job, he received a steady stream of refusals. Finally, a short, thin man, well past middle age, approached the farmer.
"Are you a good farm hand?" the farmer asked him.
"Well, I can sleep when the wind blows," answered the little man.
Although puzzled by this answer, the farmer, desperate for help, hired him. The little man worked well around the farm, busy from dawn to dusk, and the farmer felt satisfied with the man's work.
Then one night the wind howled loudly in from offshore. Jumping out of bed, the farmer grabbed a lantern and rushed next door to the hired hand's sleeping quarters. He shook the little man and yelled, "Get up! A storm is coming! Tie things down before they blow away!" The little man rolled over in bed and said firmly, "No sir. I told you, I can sleep when the wind blows."
Enraged by the old man's response, the farmer was tempted to fire him on the spot. Instead, he hurried outside to prepare for the storm. To his amazement, he discovered that all of the haystacks had been covered with tarpaulins. The cows were in the barn, the chickens were in the coops, and the doors were barred. The shutters were tightly secured. Everything was tied down. Nothing could blow away. The farmer then understood what his hired hand meant, and he returned to bed to also sleep while the wind blew.
Can you sleep when the wind blows through your life? The hired hand in the story was able to sleep because he had secured the farm against the storm. We secure ourselves against the storms of life by accepting Jesus Christ as our Savior and by grounding ourselves firmly in the Word of God.

Living For God's Purposes by Dan Elliott
"Be strong and steady . . . for you know that nothing you do for the Lord is ever useless." (1 Corinthians 15:58 NLT)
We sometimes encounter conflicts in our daily lives and tasks that cause us to waver in our focus or purpose. However, when we live each day in obedience to what God has called us to do, things are different. When we accept where God has planted us and engage our tasks for His glory rather than our own, then every day becomes a day of joyous ministry for Jesus Christ. Accept this day's tasks as those God has called you to and see how purposeful it can be for you.
Prayer: Dear Lord, I want to live for You today. Please let my actions and attitudes reflect well on You, my Lord. Thank You. In Jesus name, Amen.

The Goodness Of God Author Unknown
There's a Dennis the Menace cartoon in which Dennis and his friend Joey are walking away from the Wilson's house with their hands full of cookies. Joey asks, "I wonder what we did to deserve this?"
Dennis tells his friend, "Joey, Mrs. Wilson gives us cookies not because we're nice, but because she's nice."
The same can be said of our Heavenly Father. He gives, not because we're good, but because He's good. He does not treat us as our sins deserve or repay us for our iniquities. Instead, he is the one "...who redeems your life from the pit and crowns you with love and compassion, who satisfies your desires with good things so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's." (Psalm 103:4-5)

No Name Tags by Sally I. Kennedy
I will not forget you! See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands. Isaiah 49:15-16
Saturday morning, and I decided to try and beat the crowd to the market. I was in line to pay and overheard a customer telling the cashier that she had just gotten back from a trip to her class reunion. She bubbled, explaining how much fun it was to see people from "'way back then". As she continued on about how much everyone had changed, etc., she said, "In fact, it's a good thing we had name tags, or we might not have known each other!"
Time does have a way of doing that. Isn't it good to know that there's someone who will always know us, even without name tags....no matter how life, or aging, may have changed our appearances?
We are told, in Jeremiah 1:5, that our wonderful heavenly Father has known us since before "'way back when". He always recognizes us. And, He is filled with delight every time He looks at us! That's good news.
Thank you, Lord, that you always have my name written on the palm of your hand. Thank you that I am continually on your mind, and that you will never ever forget me, ever. In Jesus' name, Amen

CAN YOU REALLY CHANGE YOUR ATTITUDE? by Russ Lawson
"Grumble, grumble…if I ever… I'll never… did you hear what he/she said or did? I'll never forgive… I'll never speak… They will never get invited to my….." You've probably met folks with a bad case of the "Grumbles". It seems that no matter what happens they are never happy and sometimes they seem to take delight in making others unhappy. There has to be an answer for this… doesn't there?
Is it possible to change your attitude, I mean really change it? I've had some folks with fairly nasty dispositions tell me, "That's just the way I am and I can't change it." Is that true? A reader of my writings, "Reg," shared Job 9:27 with me, where Job says: "I changed my expression and smiled" (NIV) How can this be true? I believe it's because no matter what happens God is still in control, and if I can remember that, I CAN change my expression and smile!
Granted I never said it would be an easy thing to do, but I believe it is possible. You remember the old saying, "Garbage in, garbage out". In other words, what you put into your life, your heart, will most likely be the same sort of thing that comes out of your life and heart. It affects relationships to friends; it affects families; it affects our relationship to God.
David voices a conscious decision in Psalms 118:24 "This is the day the LORD has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it." The question for each of us, to consider is, "What are you putting into your life and heart?
I don't know about you, but I really want to have a good attitude. I really want to have good relationships with my friends, family and my God. Because of that, I try really hard to put only the best stuff into my life. I control what television programs I watch, I control what movies I go to, I control what books I read, I control the type of music to which I listen, I control who I associate with. You see, each of us is in control of our lives; it's just that sometimes we hand control of it over to others. Those who program our television, movies, music, etc. really don't care about you, your attitude or your soul. They won't watch out for you, you have to take charge of your own life and decide whether or not you will rejoice in the day or not. Whether you will change you’re attitude and smile or not.
You see, I know what kind of person I want to be and what kind of life I want to live. I'm not always successful, but I'm more successful than if I had never tried. How about it, are you willing to begin to fight the "good" fight that changes your life and relationships? Why not join me in the fight?

Small Straws In A Soft Wind by Marsha Burns
Let the cleansing power of My Spirit wash away the defilement of past regrets and disappointments. Declare this day to be a new beginning with renewed hope and faith that I am the strength of your salvation. I take great delight in leading you on the path of righteousness and great reward, says the Lord. But, you must let go of everything that hinders your forward progression. Proverbs 2:20 So you may walk in the way of goodness, And keep to the paths of righteousness.

Find yourself in Me, says the Lord. I speak to many of you who seem to have lost your true spiritual identity. You have been assaulted by too many distractions from the world and too much external noise. You must quiet your soul, re-establish eternal focus, and rediscover who you really are. Come to Me in the secret place of the Spirit. Find strength and the peace that goes beyond your natural understanding. Come! Philippians 4:6-7 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

Get ready to break out of the confines of the past. It is time to expand beyond old boundaries and borders, says the Lord. You will find that places of old resistance will disappear like the morning fog, and opportunities will present themselves for growth in many areas of your life. Prepare your heart by adjusting your faith to take advantage of all that I provide. Isaiah 54:2 "Enlarge the place of your tent, and let them stretch out the curtains of your dwellings; do not spare; lengthen your cords, and strengthen your stakes."

I see My sheep scattered and unable to focus. Too many things to consider and circumstances to deal with will spread you too thin and wear you out. Gather yourself up, prioritize, and get focused on what really matters. Guard your personal boundaries so that other people don't exploit or take advantage of your time or energy. But you will also have to separate the legitimate draw on your resources from the frivolous and unnecessary, says the Lord. Set a watch. Nahum 2:1 He who scatters has come up before your face. Man the fort! Watch the road! Strengthen your flanks! Fortify your power mightily.

The Trumpet by Bill Burns
"Set the trumpet to your mouth!" Hosea 8:1
Fight the good fight, and you shall surely win. For, this is your season of victory. All of the things that you have looked at and established as weapons that are formed against you will not prosper. This is the day of deliverance. This is the day of the habitation of My Spirit, Who has risen up within you as a warrior going into combat for you. Now, you go with Him. Go! Run the race. Fight the good fight. Press forward into a place of victory for it is your destiny, says the Lord.

Only What I need by --Michael Dubina
"Go sow the seeds", He seems to say,
And love will grow for you,
And health will be the wealth you need
To share the loves you grew."
And when I pray for worldly goods
And comforts of a king,
He fills my heart with little joys,
For simple, common things;
And when I beg for things I see-
Of envy to my mind-
He guides my steps to happy souls
Who are completely blind.
So, now, I just come unto Him
In simple, humble prayer
And only ask He keep me safe
>From harm and life's despair.
For He has shown that He will not
Reward my prayers of greed.
And will not give me what I want-
But only what I need.

Great Floods of adversity,
Are beating at my door:
And all my joy and peace,
Seem gone forever more
Then quietly comes the Master,
With His dear arms open wide:
He whispers gently to my heart,
"Come, my child. Come quickly inside."
He is the Master of my storm,
I trust Him with my very soul.
Once more I know His comfort,
As He heals, and makes me whole.
May Young 2005

Open my eyes, that I may behold Wonderful things from Thy law. Psalm 119:18

Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and He shall lift you up. James 4:10

Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your labor is not in vain in the Lord. 1 Corinthians 15:58

I will praise you, O LORD, with all my heart; before the "gods" I will sing your praise. I will bow down toward your holy temple and will praise your name for your love and your faithfulness, for you have exalted above all things your name and your word. When I called, you answered me; you made me bold and stouthearted. Psalm 138:1-3

Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a workman who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth. 2 Timothy 2:15

Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me. Psalm 51:12

Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one who loves is born of God, and knows God. He who does not love does not know God; for God is love. John 1:7

Jesus said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12

The New Language by Lynne Phipps
Deuteronomy 4:29 – But if from there you seek the Lord your God, you will find him if you look for him with all your heart and with all your soul. (NIV)
Midge, my fourteen-year-old miniature long-haired dachshund, went through a long period of depression and sorrow a few years ago after she lost her hearing. She could no longer hear my voice. She didn't know what I wanted. She was missing out on so much of what was happening around her. Day by day, she began to withdraw more and more. My heart went out to her. I didn't know what to do, until one day, I decided to try to teach her a new language: sign language. This wasn't easy, though, as her eyesight was also beginning to deteriorate. Still, I kept at it. One year and then another, but still she didn't respond. And then, one day, it all paid off. The light came on, and she suddenly realized that she could hear my voice with her eyes. Her joy and excitement were palpable, and since then, there have been big changes, for Midge watches me diligently through every waking moment and is thus able once again to hear.
I have discovered that hearing the Lord's voice also requires a whole new language, different from the language of this world.
1 Kings 19:11-12 – The Lord said [to Elijah], "Go out and stand on the mountain in the presence of the Lord, for the Lord is about to pass by." Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountain apart and shattered the rocks before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake. After the earthquake came a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper. (NIV)
The world speaks to us in one way, but God speaks to us in another. I like to call it "heart language", for it is that still, quiet voice within. It is the one that I have had to learn to listen for, not with my ears, but with all my heart and all my soul. It is that whisper that speaks louder than a shout when I am in tune with it, and it brings big changes, brightening up my world in a whole new way. It leads me from darkness into light, chaos into order, anxiety into peace. It is most definitely a language well worth learning for all those who truly want to hear.
Father God, thank You that we can hear Your voice amidst the deafening sounds of the world, which seeks our constant attention. We ask, in Christ's name, that You would still the activity of our ever-active minds this day, that we might look for You with all our heart and with all our soul, and hear Your voice. In Christ's name, we pray. Amen.

Lord, You are mighty! Remind me today and everyday that I am strong because of You. Strengthen me when I am weak. Hold me up when I feel like fainting. Because all that I am depends upon You. Thank you, Lord!

Read Through The Bible
2 Chronicles 6
1 Then Solomon spoke: “The Lord said He would dwell in the dark cloud. 2 I have surely built You an exalted house, And a place for You to dwell in forever.”
Solomon’s Speech upon Completion of the Work
3 Then the king turned around and blessed the whole assembly of Israel, while all the assembly of Israel was standing. 4 And he said: “Blessed be the Lord God of Israel, who has fulfilled with His hands what He spoke with His mouth to my father David, saying, 5 ‘Since the day that I brought My people out of the land of Egypt, I have chosen no city from any tribe of Israel in which to build a house, that My name might be there, nor did I choose any man to be a ruler over My people Israel. 6 Yet I have chosen Jerusalem, that My name may be there, and I have chosen David to be over My people Israel.’ 7 Now it was in the heart of my father David to build a temple for the name of the Lord God of Israel. 8 But the Lord said to my father David, ‘Whereas it was in your heart to build a temple for My name, you did well in that it was in your heart. 9 Nevertheless you shall not build the temple, but your son who will come from your body, he shall build the temple for My name.’ 10 So the Lord has fulfilled His word which He spoke, and I have filled the position of my father David, and sit on the throne of Israel, as the Lord promised; and I have built the temple for the name of the Lord God of Israel. 11 And there I have put the ark, in which is the covenant of the Lord which He made with the children of Israel.”
Solomon’s Prayer of Dedication
12 Then Solomon stood before the altar of the Lord in the presence of all the assembly of Israel, and spread out his hands 13 (for Solomon had made a bronze platform five cubits long, five cubits wide, and three cubits high, and had set it in the midst of the court; and he stood on it, knelt down on his knees before all the assembly of Israel, and spread out his hands toward heaven); 14 and he said: “Lord God of Israel, there is no God in heaven or on earth like You, who keep Your covenant and mercy with Your servants who walk before You with all their hearts. 15 You have kept what You promised Your servant David my father; You have both spoken with Your mouth and fulfilled it with Your hand, as it is this day. 16 Therefore, Lord God of Israel, now keep what You promised Your servant David my father, saying, ‘You shall not fail to have a man sit before Me on the throne of Israel, only if your sons take heed to their way, that they walk in My law as you have walked before Me.’ 17 And now, O Lord God of Israel, let Your word come true, which You have spoken to Your servant David. 18 “But will God indeed dwell with men on the earth? Behold, heaven and the heaven of heavens cannot contain You. How much less this temple which I have built! 19 Yet regard the prayer of Your servant and his supplication, O Lord my God, and listen to the cry and the prayer which Your servant is praying before You: 20 that Your eyes may be open toward this temple day and night, toward the place where You said You would put Your name, that You may hear the prayer which Your servant makes toward this place. 21 And may You hear the supplications of Your servant and of Your people Israel, when they pray toward this place. Hear from heaven Your dwelling place, and when You hear, forgive. 22 “If anyone sins against his neighbor, and is forced to take an oath, and comes and takes an oath before Your altar in this temple, 23 then hear from heaven, and act, and judge Your servants, bringing retribution on the wicked by bringing his way on his own head, and justifying the righteous by giving him according to his righteousness. 24 “Or if Your people Israel are defeated before an enemy because they have sinned against You, and return and confess Your name, and pray and make supplication before You in this temple, 25 then hear from heaven and forgive the sin of Your people Israel, and bring them back to the land which You gave to them and their fathers. 26 “When the heavens are shut up and there is no rain because they have sinned against You, when they pray toward this place and confess Your name, and turn from their sin because You afflict them, 27 then hear in heaven, and forgive the sin of Your servants, Your people Israel, that You may teach them the good way in which they should walk; and send rain on Your land which You have given to Your people as an inheritance. 28 “When there is famine in the land, pestilence or blight or mildew, locusts or grasshoppers; when their enemies besiege them in the land of their cities; whatever plague or whatever sickness there is; 29 whatever prayer, whatever supplication is made by anyone, or by all Your people Israel, when each one knows his own burden and his own grief, and spreads out his hands to this temple: 30 then hear from heaven Your dwelling place, and forgive, and give to everyone according to all his ways, whose heart You know (for You alone know the hearts of the sons of men), 31 that they may fear You, to walk in Your ways as long as they live in the land which You gave to our fathers. 32 “Moreover, concerning a foreigner, who is not of Your people Israel, but has come from a far country for the sake of Your great name and Your mighty hand and Your outstretched arm, when they come and pray in this temple; 33 then hear from heaven Your dwelling place, and do according to all for which the foreigner calls to You, that all peoples of the earth may know Your name and fear You, as do Your people Israel, and that they may know that this temple which I have built is called by Your name. 34 “When Your people go out to battle against their enemies, wherever You send them, and when they pray to You toward this city which You have chosen and the temple which I have built for Your name, 35 then hear from heaven their prayer and their supplication, and maintain their cause. 36 “When they sin against You (for there is no one who does not sin), and You become angry with them and deliver them to the enemy, and they take them captive to a land far or near; 37 yet when they come to themselves in the land where they were carried captive, and repent, and make supplication to You in the land of their captivity, saying, ‘We have sinned, we have done wrong, and have committed wickedness’; 38 and when they return to You with all their heart and with all their soul in the land of their captivity, where they have been carried captive, and pray toward their land which You gave to their fathers, the city which You have chosen, and toward the temple which I have built for Your name: 39 then hear from heaven Your dwelling place their prayer and their supplications, and maintain their cause, and forgive Your people who have sinned against You. 40 Now, my God, I pray, let Your eyes be open and let Your ears be attentive to the prayer made in this place. 41 “Now therefore, Arise, O Lord God, to Your resting place, You and the ark of Your strength. Let Your priests, O Lord God, be clothed with salvation, And let Your saints rejoice in goodness. 42 “O Lord God, do not turn away the face of Your Anointed;
Remember the mercies of Your servant David.”

O God, thank you for going before us and walking beside us. Grant us your peace when we experience frightening times. Amen.

Wherever you are in life, whatever you've done, you can begin again. If you do not have Jesus in your life and wish to ask Jesus into your life please go to this link now to do so: http://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130 .
Jesus is calling you to live a life that matters.