PDA

View Full Version : Acceptance

MajestyJo
02-17-2014, 01:22 AM
Monday, February 17, 2014

You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go

Acceptance

Our basic recovery concept that never loses its power to work miracles is the concept called acceptance.

We do not achieve acceptance in a moment. We often have to work through a mirage of feelings - sometimes anger, outrage, shame, self-pity, or sadness. But if acceptance is our goal, we will achieve it.

What is more freeing than to laugh at our weaknesses and to be grateful for our strengths? To know the entire package called "us" - with all our feelings, thoughts, tendencies, and history - is worthy of acceptance and brings healing feelings.

To accept our circumstances is another miraculous cure. For anything to change or anyone to change, we must first accept others, the circumstance, and ourselves exactly as they are. Then, we need to take it one step further. We need to become grateful for our circumstances or ourselves. We add a touch of faith by saying, "I know this is exactly the way it's supposed to be for the moment."

No matter how complicated we get, the basics never lose their power to restore us to sanity.

Today, God, help me practice the concept of acceptance in my life. Help me accept others, my circumstances, and myself. Take me one step further, and help me feel grateful.

MajestyJo
07-15-2015, 04:08 AM
Honesty and acceptance are two things that I need to take with me today. The world doesn't revolve around me and my thoughts and actions. I am part of the whole and as much as I would like my own way, I am not going to get it!!!

Each day is about acceptance, I think it is the #1 tool of recovery. Without it I can not have serenity. I can be sober, but fall far short of sobriety (soundness of mind).

Lack of acceptance is me playing 'god' with my life. It also means that I have expectations that are often not attainable or I have projected them onto others who are unable to fulfill them and I am putting my life on hold, waiting for them to do what I think and feel they SHOULD do. Lack of acceptance is attached to a whole lot of stinking thinking and takes a whole lot of prayer to change.

The best prayer that I have found is the prayer of willingness. Praying for the willingness to be willing to accept. Sometimes, it is just the willingness to be willing. I am so grateful for a loving and forgiving God.

http://www.animated-gifs.eu/mammals-cats-female/0031.gif

MajestyJo
06-19-2016, 10:43 PM
This is something I posted on another site in 2003

ACCEPTING

Samuel Thadeus Short

“God speaks to all individuals through what happens to them moment by moment.” — J. P. DECAUSSADE

What if we were to open ourselves peacefully and trustingly to accepting good rather than pugnaciously trying to coerce life into responding to us? What if we came to life with our palms out and raised upward rather than greeting it with a double fist? We would develop a consciousness of acceptance of good which is immense and would unfold into every area of our existence.

Such a consciousness of this sort invites the natural wholeness of God to enrich us at every turn. We discover that the atom of God is always flowing through our thoughts and through our deeds.

We can come to know and trust this action to support our good at all times. As we accept only good for ourselves we do the same for all other life forms as well. The perfect manifestation of God comes through us.

The Antesian Road To Enlightenment
antesianroadtoenlightenment-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

EXPANDING CONSCIOUSNESS

THOUGHT FOR TODAY:

When I read this, one thought came to mind. When I get out of the way, God works through me. When I am willing to be a channel of His Blessing, I live my life in today, that when I surrender that direction is there and it is my acceptance and acknowledgement of that good orderly direction, which determines how smoothly my day goes, how well equipped I am to hand today on life's terms, and accepting that God knows what is good for me, more so than my own narrow minded concepts and outlook at myself and others.

So many times I have been grateful that God doesn't think like I do, but I am sure He has thought that He is very grateful His thinking isn't based on my thoughts.

Today He is companion and friend. I have been known to question His actions, yet I have found that He has much more acceptance of me than I have had of Him over the years.

Was talking to my friend today about this. She is trying to quit smoking. I have been there and done it. I still want a cigarette, even though it has been 18 years. They are a good suppressant when you don't want to feel. I may want a cigarette, but each time I get the feeling I say, "Just for today, I choose not to use."

That is when I hang in there with my Higher Power.

http://www.animatedgif.net/animals/cats/cathanging_e0.gif

dwmoeller
06-20-2016, 02:20 PM
"Just for today, I chose not to use."

Now that's a slogan to live by!