PDA

View Full Version : Reflections for Every Day - March

yukonm
03-01-2014, 07:25 AM
March 1

Gabby P. Says:

When I get really frustrated and I think I'm not "getting well" fast enough I remember what I heard when I first came around, "You didn't get sick in a day and you won't get well in a day either." It helps me remember that recovery is a process, despite the fact that I hate that word! Anything worth keeping needs to be earned and I think that is true with sobriety. I feel that if my higher power led me on this path and saved my life as long as I continue on it I will recover one day at a time.

yukonm
03-02-2014, 06:09 AM
March 2

Beverly Says:

I have been clean and sober for over a year. What an experience. Life is good. I still chose to continue in my out patient rehab. Recovery is a day to day process and on my mind constantly throughout my day. When life's situations become uncertain or complicated, I just remember the phrase "Keep it Simple." Sounds too easy and of course, it is not. This small phrase with such powerful meaning has helped me through many obstacles of everyday life.

yukonm
03-03-2014, 07:31 AM
March 3

Fagan Says:

Reading these Thoughts of the Day everyday has made a real impact on my life. I didn't know anything about alcoholism and its destructive nature. The ramifications have carved and scarred a major highway through our lives. Understanding what is really going on with my ex-husband and his addictions has made all the difference.

yukonm
03-04-2014, 07:15 AM
March 4

Herbert Says:

As long as I follow those who have come before me, I have a little more insurance not to slip.

yukonm
03-05-2014, 06:41 AM
March 5

Jennifer A. Says:

Making my sobriety the most important thing in my life has changed everything for me. It has brought about a change in attitude that is noticed by all who know me. AA has truly helped me be happy, joyous, and free.

yukonm
03-06-2014, 07:10 AM
March 6

David G. Says:

I have been receiving your emails for a little over 2 yrs. That's how I choose to start my day. I go online every day before work, and on my day off, and read your Thoughts of the Day. It helps me to stay grateful for my life now, by reminding me of the gruesome reality of my previous life.

yukonm
03-07-2014, 07:26 AM
March 7

Shaun Says:

To me being an alcoholic is like being in an empty silo with no way to grip the sides. Then when I finally admitted to my self that I had a problem I found that I could hold onto the sides and edge my way out of this great abyss. Once out of the silo I climbed down to the ground, and started one day at a time moving away from this prison, and gradually it disappeared into the distance. Every day I know that I am getting further and further away from that silo. I have been sober now for 14 years.

yukonm
03-08-2014, 07:32 AM
March 8

Ron C. Says:

Before AA I judged everything and everyone. Now I am learning to not even judge myself. I was harder on myself than anyone else. Now I simply look at my behavior, and if it is not recovery behavior, I modify it.

yukonm
03-09-2014, 07:58 AM
March 9

Jean F. Says:

Something I hear a lot in meetings that helps me with patience during my growing is first, "I came... then I came to... then I came to believe."

mzimmer
03-09-2014, 08:03 AM
Took a while to come to. Was fantastic when I came to believe. God bless

MajestyJo
03-09-2014, 09:39 AM
Welcome to the site mzimmer, thank you for signing in and sharing.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTEYZ2oE8jTO4BK_bFeKsPclX4IycWBi ZV3At0q5xZ1jkWBPp9s

yukonm
03-10-2014, 07:55 AM
March 10

Rebecca J. Says:

With the start of a new year, I am excited knowing I am starting out clean and sober. I am new in the program with right under 6 months of sober time, and I am so very thankful for every day of it, I look forward to the new strength I am building each and every day.

yukonm
03-11-2014, 08:06 AM
March 11

Clarice P. Says:

I'm a very grateful member of Al-Anon. I am most grateful for AA and Al-Anon! My son, an addict-alcoholic, will celebrate 12 years straight and sober this year. This is a miracle!

yukonm
03-12-2014, 06:12 AM
March 12

Elissa G. Says:

When I first came into the rooms, some said I would be brainwashed. It was suggested that at that point in time my brain needed a good washing. My way got me there. It was time to listen, take direction, and try a way that helped countless others like me.

yukonm
03-13-2014, 07:02 AM
March 13

Jack P. Says:

Our book, "Alcoholics Anonymous," says not everyone who drinks alcoholically is an alcoholic. If you can successfully control your drinking, the chances are you're probably not an alcoholic. If however, you find that your drinking is uncontrollable, then you might just be an alcoholic. Only you can decide.

yukonm
03-14-2014, 07:23 AM
March 14

Betty Ann Says:

Willingness seems to come and go for me some days, and it seems that once I know of the proper action to take, God then increases my pain until I become willing to take it. Once I begin to work the steps on a particular issue, the follow through is very important. If I make my way through four and five, and then balk I find myself back at powerlessness pretty quickly. That's why they're in order for a reason.

yukonm
03-15-2014, 08:15 AM
March 15

Trish Says:

Thinking clearly and being able to make good decisions is easier when you take care of yourself, but also takes some adapting when you've abused your body for so long. Plus it feels much better to be in control of myself and emotions rather than letting people and other substances control me. You can't trust other people to always treat you well, but you can always trust yourself to be good to you.

yukonm
03-16-2014, 06:48 AM
March 16

Shawila Says:

I came into AA with many expectations, and those thoughts failed me. I had one day of being clean and I wanted 10 years like some others I knew. I thought time (quantity) clean from alcohol and drugs was a award or something. How much I had discovered in time the true meaning of time in sobriety. It probably wasn't until I was close to 12 years sober in this program did I really know how much time had been a gift to me. Time is time and nothing more.

yukonm
03-17-2014, 07:30 AM
March 17

Tom N. Says:

All I ever thought about was drinking. I became an expert at budgeting my money so that I always had enough to get through the month without going without alcohol. It was at this point that I realized I was out of control and alcohol was ruling my life every minute, whether I was drinking then or planning my next drink. I made a decision to take control and stop. It has been a year now and everyone I know has told me how much I have grown, and become more pleasant to be around.

yukonm
03-18-2014, 07:51 AM
March 18

Jack Says:

Spirituality is the key to unlocking fears of Sobriety. LIFE - Living It For Eternity! When you can grasp this, you can begin to live again.

yukonm
03-19-2014, 08:00 AM
March 19

Walt B. Says:

Through the gifts of Alcoholic's Anonymous (The steps, literature, fellowship and service) I am able to see who I was, the horrors I put myself and my family through and the miracle of what can be, as long as I insist on keeping the "plug in the jug." Once I choose to pick up, all bets are off on my ability to live a respectful, decent, social and moral existence.

yukonm
03-20-2014, 07:56 AM
March 20

Debra Says:

In the almost six years I have been sober, I have found for me that gratitude is the "drink" of AA. Whenever I am in confusion, fear or ego, if I go to gratitude, I have that warm feeling going down to my heart -- that which alcohol used to achieve.

yukonm
03-21-2014, 07:49 AM
March 21

Cheryl H. Says:

My husband stayed in total denial for 5 years. In and out of rehab, but never with the mindset to succeed. I will never forget his last hospitalization when I told him he was dying. He had a look of total amazement on his face - like "are you talking to me?" Al-Anon helped me retain my sanity in spite of his problem.

yukonm
03-22-2014, 07:29 AM
March 22

BooBoo Says:

I am thankful to my Higher Power to be starting a new year clean and sober. Lots of tests have come my way lately, but something tells me things are going to be okay.

yukonm
03-23-2014, 07:28 AM
March 23

Harry Says:

The book entitled, "Living Sober," says that the road to sobriety starts with one sober hour. Those hours can multiply into one sober day, but if you don't complete the first day, the next day beckons. Each day stands alone and can be filled with joy or misery as you wish. In the days of my 41 years as a member of the fellowship, I've managed to remember that each day is one unto itself, so I live it to the best of my ability in happiness and sobriety.

LittleWing7
03-23-2014, 10:28 AM
If I run the show today, things won't go my way- what I paradox! Pg 45, Big Book of AA:"Lack of Power, that was our dilemma. We had to find a Power by which we could live, and it had to be a Power Greater Than Ourselves. Obviously, but where and how to find this Power?" ( Chapter:We Agnostics)

Chapter : How it Works: Pg:68
Third step:"Perhaps there is a better way-we think so. For now we are on a different basis; the basis of trusting and relying upon God. We trust infinite God rather than our finite selves. We are in the world to play the role He assigns. Just to the extent that we do as we think He would have us, and humbly rely on Him, does He enable us to match calamity with serenity."
I thought I would start this day with those reminders for myself, and share them with others. This is because I pray the third step prayer every morning and then arise to once again try to run my own show. Every tiny instant that I remember to give it over to my Higher Power and am then calmed by His Presence my faith is increased, my fear is diminished. Thank you for maintaining this website.

yukonm
03-24-2014, 08:22 AM
March 24

Radar Says:

I have come to believe that what is true for me, that my mother is an alcoholic, does not have to be true for everyone else -- my mother, father, siblings -- who in varying degrees deny that there is any problem. My reality that my mother is an alcoholic and that this has drastically affected my life in the past is mine alone for me to learn about and deal with for myself and no one else and certainly not the alcoholic.

yukonm
03-25-2014, 06:22 AM
March 25

Colleen Says:

If I keep God first, practice the steps on a daily basis, my life is good. It is only when I get in the driver's seat and do it my way, I start heading back to the old me and old way of life. I have to renew myself on a daily basis. I have done this successfully for 23 years.

yukonm
03-26-2014, 08:04 AM
March 26

Maryann Says:

I am absolutely convinced when I try it on my own, HP shows me I can't. My moods become darker, I become miserable and snap at anyone. HP has shown me I need a face-to-face meeting. Until I get to a meeting I need to read my literature. It's is if I were a boat stranded on a reef and I won't get off until I sit patiently for the tide to gently lift me off and set my sail in the proper direction.

yukonm
03-27-2014, 08:14 AM
March 27

Mark Says:

By re-examining my life as I knew it, I had forgot about God. I have brought him back into my life and he lets me know when I start running my own way. He now is and will always be my Higher Power. My life is now making sense and getting better, day by day. Thank you for 14 months of sobriety.

yukonm
03-28-2014, 07:42 AM
March 28

Tina Says:

The longer I live, the more I realize that in a negative situation or circumstance, 30 percent of my pain comes from the situation, and 70 percent of my pain comes from my own thoughts and attitudes I have in my head. If I can clear out the 70 percent of my own stinking thinking, may the actual 30 percent won't seem so bad anymore.

yukonm
03-29-2014, 06:08 AM
March 29

Lynn D. Says:

My drug of choice is alcohol and being able to have a place to go to admit out loud to a room full of people who and what I am is such a relief. I am a fully active member of AA and will be eternally grateful to the members of the fellowship.

yukonm
03-30-2014, 07:15 AM
Jill A. Says:

When I came to AA five months ago, I thought my only problem was alcohol abuse. Through AA meetings and reading the Big Book, I realize, what most AA members have, my fears were eased by alcohol at the beginning. Then, came the addiction that made the fears worse and changed my personality to someone I did not like. I am very grateful for AA, without it I could not change the unmanageable patterns. It works!

yukonm
03-31-2014, 07:35 AM
March 31

Tina Says:

I thank my higher power everyday for my friends in AA and Al-Anon. They fill the areas of my life that my biological family is not capable of filling. There is no rule that all the things we have been deprived as a child has to be fulfilled by our family of origin. They can be fulfilled by our family of choice just the same. Let's stop going to the hardware store to buy bread.