PDA

View Full Version : How I finally became sober

MariaMria
04-29-2014, 11:33 AM
Just wanted to share my story really quick. I signed up for this forum in January, desperate to finally quit drinking. It was ruining my life and I was struggling to find a way to stop.

I tried AA. Didn't work for me. I tried cold turkey. Couldn't do it. Then one day I read an article online about one guy who was hypnotized in a rehab center. I must have fell into a internet hole or something because soon I found out that hypnosis is a real chance for me. I had never heard that hypnosis can be a part of addiction treatment before so I looked it up.

I found an information about it and went to the center. I was like " huh... yeah sure..." but that was my hook I was excited.

My curiosity helped me. I succeed and want to tell everyone - don't be afraid of another chance. If last treatment didn't work for you - don't give up, find your way of treatment, find your motivation. Keep trying, keep searching.

Thank you all,
Maria

LookingOut
04-29-2014, 12:43 PM
I'm glad that hypnosis worked for you. I found the "New Wine" class at settingcaptivesfree.com helped me break out of the relapse cycle.

MajestyJo
04-29-2014, 12:59 PM
Had a guy in my group used hypnosis to quit smoking. It worked for me. I saw it as a mind altering substance, and tried Zyban, but it was another pill, I took one and waited for the quick fix.

For me recovery was a process. It isn't a quick fix. I need to heal from my past and move on. It was about change. Not putting down the pill, not picking up the drink, not using food, relationships, work, etc., the void had to be filled with spiritual things. I found the pill and pot maintenance didn't work, it ALL blocks me from my God. I had to build a relationship with my God, be open to new ways, and the 12 Steps worked for me. I went to AA, NA, Al-Anon, ACoA, and CA, even though I never used crack/cocaine, they say all mood altering substances, and that worked for me.

I always had my religious beliefs, never lost them. It was the spiritual aspect that I needed to stop and stay stopped. I had to fill the void with spiritual things, not momentary fixes. I had to go to the roots, look at why I drank and used, it didn't really matter, as long as I don't use in today. I block myself from my God when I do. I even got addicted to service, some things are good, but in moderation. That does mean they won't grow into an addiction. My mind says more, I have an obsession of the mind and had to pray to have it removed.

I can't, my God can, just for today, I choose to let Him. Hope this continues to work for you. Not everyone, is willing to work the steps. I found I had to change me in order to recovery. Didn't wanted anything that left the old me in attendance. ;)

Johnd
04-29-2014, 05:06 PM
screaming shouting cursing and swearing that if there was a god atall would you help me stop drinking
the miracle happened i have not drank since that day

:85:

MajestyJo
04-30-2014, 08:07 AM
Mine wasn't vocalized but internalized. It was do or die. I chose life. I reached out and asked for help August 8, started getting support from the social worker at the Y.W.C.A. who got me into a recovery house. A friend went back to Hawaii to live and we went out for a steak dinner, and I had a glass of wine, my last drink on the 20th. I felt like the 8th was the day I should celebrate, but chose August 21, 1991, because I had that one drink. The pills I was on, my doctor was my supplier, took a while to come off them because of side affects. I had to go to the drug store daily, to pick up my meds. I no longer abused them or me. I didn't go into the treatment center until November 2, 1991.

I was very angry, resentful, and just plain mad at they system. I knew if I went downtown, I would drink. I went into KFC, inhaled a piece of chicken, chips and coleslaw, wrapped up the other piece and headed for the bus. Two things happened, I didn't drink (later went to the recovery house, called my sponsor, and went to a meeting that night.) and I didn't eat that second piece of chicken.