PDA

View Full Version : Reflections for Every Day - July

yukonm
07-01-2014, 07:20 AM
July 1

Candy Says:

I have so much to be thankful for today, and it is because of my higher power, whom I choose to call God, and my wonderful sponsor, and the of course the fellowship of AA. I had never known the true meaning of friendships, or the the true meaning of living, until I came into AA. I have a life today that I never thought possible, all I needed to do was surrender, and realize that I was not alone.

MajestyJo
07-01-2014, 01:50 PM
As I often say, surrender doesn't mean to give up, it means give over.

Just being clean and sober in today, is a reason to be grateful.

yukonm
07-02-2014, 07:53 AM
July 2

Amy L Says:

It never ceases to amaze me how God works through my group. No matter how much we disagree, we always find the love of a forgiving higher power that brings us back into unison. Today I know that God's purpose for me is to live, love, share with others the gift of sobriety I have found through the grace of God.

bluidkiti
07-03-2014, 10:28 AM
July 3

Ted Says:

God has done for me what I could not do for myself. A year ago, I would have said that "peace" is only something that hippies wish upon each other. Today I understand that, if I ask God for another day of sobriety, true peace and happiness will follow.

yukonm
07-04-2014, 06:57 AM
July 4

Radar Says:

By attending Al-Anon for the last two years I have found a serenity that I never thought possible. With the strength of my Al-Anon fellowship behind me, I was able to confront both of my parents with what I believe to be true and explain to them how this has affected me. I have learned to focus on what my responsibility is regarding my character defects. I continue to learn tools that I can use to move on from experiences and have the peace I've sought for so long.

yukonm
07-05-2014, 07:20 AM
July 5

Betty Ann Says:

There came a time in my recovery when (through good sponsorship) that I was informed that all resentments are dishonest, because I had either done it, thought about doing it, or was in the process of doing it. The term spot it you got it is how I gauge the quality of my recovery in the moment. My attitude, actions and reactions are the only thing in this life that I have any say in, and what other people do or don't do is really not my concern, it's God's.

yukonm
07-06-2014, 06:56 AM
July 6

Carol Says:

I'm the wife of an alcoholic and I watch as he deteriorates from this cruel disease. Today he is in much emotional and physical pain as his health is slipping away. But denial keeps him from the reality of his disease. Because of the years I have spent in Al-Anon, I can remove myself from his suffering. I can only hope he will notice what recovery has given me and the spring in my step these days, and want this for himself.

yukonm
07-07-2014, 07:52 AM
July 7

Lori Says:

All I have to do is practice the principles I've learned to the best of my ability, and take the recommended suggestions of my sponsor and those with whom I've built relationships with in the program. Unity, service and recovery will come to you if you go to meetings, work the steps with a good sponsor, reach out to others, avail yourself to service and practice return to conscious contact continually. It can happen for anyone!

yukonm
07-08-2014, 07:22 AM
July 8

Betty Ann Says:

When life on life's terms seems to overwhelm me it's back to basics for me. Making time for prayer and meditation, meetings, and working with others get me back on track. These simple actions keep me grounded in the reality that I am an alcoholic, and that I can choose to live with an awareness of this spiritual malady, or without the proper maintenance that I can die from it.

Note:

The "Thoughts of the Day" are from members of various 12 step programs. Some are A.A., some Al-Anon, and some Adult Children of Alcoholics. Take what you need and leave the rest!

yukonm
07-09-2014, 08:02 AM
July 9

Tim Says:

There were times when I could actually stop for a drink and actually have ONE. There were, however, those other times when I stopped for one and had five, six, ten, or more. The problem was I couldn't predict what it was going to be once I had that ONE. If you can successfully control your drinking, the chances are you're probably not an alcoholic. If however, you find that your drinking is uncontrollable, then you might just be an alcoholic. Only you can decide.

yukonm
07-10-2014, 07:07 AM
July 10

Cee Says:

I joined Al-Anon because I knew my potential for happiness was great. I just wasn't very happy because I was insane always thinking about the alcoholic in my life. Well, now I think about me. I do things for me now. I go to meetings, I make phone calls, I read lots and lots of Al-Anon literature, and of late, I've gone on-line. I also take pleasure in my children, my husband, my dog, my surroundings, and I thank my higher power every day for everything I do have.

yukonm
07-11-2014, 06:40 AM
July 11

Rock Says:

I think we get hung up on terminology sometimes: "Am I an alcoholic? Am I not an alcoholic?" To me, the bottom line was that alcohol was causing me so much pain in my life that I had to stop. Whether or not I'm an alcoholic (and I accept the fact that I am), the simple fact was that I had to stop drinking to maintain my marriage and my sanity. If you're questioning the role alcohol plays in your life, then maybe it is time to make some strong changes.

MajestyJo
07-12-2014, 02:18 AM
I finally figured out, ¨If I am not an alocholic, what am I?¨ I did not want to think of the alternative.

I always knew I was an addict. Some is good, more is better. I never knew what more would take me and how far, I could not use safely.

http://www.animated-gifs.eu/mammals-cats-42/0015.gif

yukonm
07-12-2014, 08:47 AM
July 12

Roselle Says:

One of the affirmations I've often used when overwhelmed with 'whatever' is: "I'm a beloved child of the universe." I'd repeat it to myself, silently or out loud, until any feelings of anxiety would disappear. Sometimes this affirmation brought up strong feelings, sometimes tears.

yukonm
07-13-2014, 07:53 AM
July 13

Carol D. Says:

I read a book "Under The Influence" by Milam and Ketcham that proved to my satisfaction that I suffer from a deadly progressive disease. That information... coupled with a new resolve to follow the tenets of AA has been my salvation. Each day without alcohol is a victory. My depression left quickly once I cleared my mind and body of booze. My life is full of purpose and joy.

yukonm
07-14-2014, 07:15 AM
July 14

Cee Says:

Well, for me, what was driving me crazy (him too) was the nagging, worrying, arguing over the finances. He did the spending while I did the saving, scrimping, and *****ing. My life changed dramatically when I decided to get my own bank account, my own credit margin, and my own responsibilities. Yeehaw! I achieved so much serenity in changing what I could.

yukonm
07-15-2014, 07:19 AM
July 15

Val Says:

What made me start thinking about quitting was reading an article about a woman dying of cirrhosis of the liver. The article was written by the woman's daughter who was taking care of her sick mother. She said she never saw her mother actually drunk, but her mother drank secretly and constantly for years and years. This is how I felt about drinking. I thought I had it under control.

yukonm
07-16-2014, 07:57 AM
July 16

Rover Says:

Never in my 30 years of drinking had I considered myself an alcoholic, despite going through two marriages, several homes, many auto accidents, and 53 different jobs. But listening to those Al-Anons discuss their significant others brought about a change. As they talked the thought ran through my mind that if the men they were discussing were alcoholics then surely that is what I must be. Went to an AA meeting the next night.

yukonm
07-17-2014, 07:03 AM
July 17

Lorin Says:

They agreed to allow me to call the Employee Assistance folks. I called them, to ask for therapy. The woman who answered's first question was whether I drank. I said yes. She then asked how much I drank. Not wanting to disturb her, I cut my drinking in half in my answer. Imagine my shock when she immediately responded that she thought I should go into a 28-day rehab.

yukonm
07-18-2014, 08:23 AM
July 18

Jack P. Says:

I learned how to live a sane and reasonably happy life from people in AA, AA literature and several excellent therapists. I am far from perfect and neither is my life, but I feel much more confident about my ability to handle my problems.

yukonm
07-19-2014, 07:59 AM
July 19

Bryan Says:

So why did I stop? To state it simply, I woke up. I realized that alcohol dominated my life and that I would never be able to change that. I realized that I was driving away my wife and children and that eventually I wouldn't care. I realized that my life had no meaning -- I lived to drink and nothing else mattered. The enormity of my problem crashed in upon me like it never had before. Alcohol could no longer effectively block it out.

yukonm
07-20-2014, 07:42 AM
July 20

Roselle Says:

I learned that I don't have to defend my choices towards anyone, not even my mother. That if they don't like it, it's their problem. That yes, I'd like acceptance but I don't need it from others, for I am already accepted by the One who counts. Actually two-in-one: God and myself.

yukonm
07-21-2014, 07:09 AM
July 21

Bonnie Says:

I should have been happier but some spark was missing. I wanted it to be GOOD again, not just an emotionally flat merry-go-round. I really wanted to be in the game mind, body and spirit. Alcohol was keeping me from doing that. I'm very new (only 4 months) at this but it's made a big difference in the quality of my life. The numbing effect of alcohol never allowed me to experience the day to day joys.

yukonm
07-22-2014, 08:11 AM
July 22

Bryan Says:

The steps have given me a connection with God like I've never had before, and as a result I'm usually at peace with myself and those around. As a result, I tend to create fewer dilemmas in my life. Before the steps could change me, I had help from other members of AA, the fellowship. I have many AA friends who can share valuable experience with me or just be there when I'm hurting. They give me hope that I can get through hard times because they've already done it.

yukonm
07-23-2014, 07:29 AM
July 23

Terri F. Says:

I fought going to an AA meeting as hard as I fought (afterwards for 3 years), going into treatment. I was scared, embarrassed, beat down, and totally and completely ashamed. They call it "incomprehensible demoralization." I bet you can relate? I was frightened to death but more frightened to continue on living the way I had been.

yukonm
07-24-2014, 08:29 AM
July 24

Mark R. Says:

After 13 months of sobriety, working the program, taking direction, it is amazing the changes in myself when I look back. Gone is the feeling of dread, the fear of people and social situations. I still have bad days here and there, but I know now that they pass. I would take 25 bad sober days in a row over one day filled with the dread, remorse, guilt and loneliness I used to have.

yukonm
07-25-2014, 07:18 AM
July 25

Roselle Says:

I used to try to deny or excuse the things he did that hurt, but that didn't do anything to heal my hurt. When I came out with my true feelings and honestly 'told' him I was hurt and angry, he came back with his true feelings. The wrongs are never made right, but the love and forgiveness puts them in the past and out of today's 'processing memory.'

yukonm
07-26-2014, 07:38 AM
July 26

Bryan Says:

The truth is that I have suffered setbacks and depression in sobriety. I've had to learn new coping skills, which takes time. But I always found that if I didn't give up, I always found the help I needed (not always what I wanted but some way to get through each difficulty sober). And even when I was depressed, I wasn't drinking and I felt good about it.

yukonm
07-27-2014, 07:06 AM
July 27

Terri F. Says:

So my counselor and psychiatrist suggested I go to a meeting, and I did. I went back, the next time because I wanted to. The bottom line for me was the pain of living in the disease of Alcoholism, became greater than my FEAR of change, and so I reached out for help, and utilized all that was offered to me.

yukonm
07-28-2014, 07:17 AM
July 28

Larry Says:

My shrink also sent me to AA and I felt embarrassed about going. I was okay with my friends, family, and neighbors seeing me act like a drunk, but I sure wouldn't want them to know I went to AA! I was such a wuss I took my wife with me to an open meeting. We met people we knew there, and after going through the "Oh my, I didn't want anyone I know to see me here," I realized that they were alkies too and that the second "A" in AA stands for "anonymous." I quickly became comfortable.

yukonm
07-29-2014, 08:06 AM
July 29

Rose R. Says:

Personally, I choose to use the disease concept when thinking about alcoholism. It's something I've found useful for my own recovery, that's all. I don't feel any urges to prove what I believe in. And I don't think you should have to prove what you believe in either. We share something in common: devastating pain from someone else's addictions.

yukonm
07-30-2014, 07:34 AM
July 30

Lorin Says:

I said my first name, and said I was an alcoholic. I didn't hear anything the rest of the meeting. As soon as it was over, I bolted. Decided to try to handle it on my own. And for a few months, I did. One day, a friend of mine asked if I wanted a drink, and I said "sure." It took until I was 29 until I was beat down enough not to care what anybody else thought. I just flat out needed help, and wanted help. I went back to AA, and folks took me in and helped me. That was 13 years ago.

yukonm
07-31-2014, 08:07 AM
July 31

Larry Says:

Spirituality does not require the belief in a God, gods, or a higher power. While most religious practice is spiritual, there is much spirituality that is not religious unless "religious" is defined so broadly as to become almost meaningless. For example, I would consider meditation a spiritual practice, yet it can be done without any religious feelings whatsoever. Washing the dishes can be done "spiritually" if one employs "mindfulness" techniques.