PDA

View Full Version : Filling a Bag with Holes

bluidkiti
08-27-2013, 10:56 AM
Filling a Bag with Holes
TODAY’S SCRIPTURE
“You have planted much, but harvested little. You eat, but never have enough. You drink, but never have your fill. You put on clothes, but are not warm. You earn wages, only to put them in a purse with holes in it.”
(Haggai 1:6, NIV)
TODAY’S WORD from Joel and Victoria

In the Old Testament, God spoke to the people about rebuilding the temple. In Haggai it says, “The people said, ‘The time has not yet come to rebuild the Lord’s house,’ even though Cyrus had ordered it eighteen years earlier.”

Notice that through Cyrus, God had told them to rebuild eighteen years before, but they were still saying, “It’s not the right time. Let’s do it later.” I can imagine that in the first year they thought, “Let’s not do it now. We’re busy.” Second year, “It’s not convenient. Let’s do it some other time.” Eighteen years later, they were still putting it off.

What happens when we don’t do what God is asking us to do? Verse six says, “You have sown much but reaped little. You’ve earned your wages, but you’re putting them in a bag with holes in it.” Verse seven says, “Consider your ways.” Friend, don’t try to fill a bag that has holes in it. You won’t be able to get ahead. You won’t be effective. What’s the answer? Consider your ways. Be quick to obey. Don’t wait to pursue that dream. Don’t wait to forgive. Don’t wait to get serious about your relationship with God. Do it today and partake of all the blessings He has in store for you!
A PRAYER FOR TODAY
Father, today I choose to be quick to obey. I don’t want to waste time. I don’t want to try to fill a bag with holes in it. I know that You have good plans for me, and as I obey Your Word, I will move forward into the life of blessing You have prepared for me in Jesus’ name. Amen.