PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Spiritual Meditations - 2/13

bluidkiti
02-11-2015, 10:36 AM
"God uses broken things. It takes broken soil to produce a crop, broken clouds to give rain, broken grain to give bread, broken bread to give strength. It is the broken alabaster box that gives forth perfume--it is Peter, weeping bitterly, who returns to greater power than ever." - Vance Havner

No matter who you are or what your life has been like so far, the rest of your life’s journey can be different. With God’s help you can begin again. --Billy Graham

"When discouragement sets in and you feel unheard - when you are forced to wait on God - when you find yourself caught between faith and a hard place...no evidence of God's miracle on the horizon - remember that God is faithful, powerful, and responsive. He has seen you through trials in the past and He will see you through trials in the future. Even in the challenges you face now, you are seen, you are heard, and He is able." - Gwen Smith

It doesn’t take a major calamity to get us down; a petty annoyance will do nicely. A day, an entire week, indeed a lifetime, can be spoiled by a series of light and momentary troubles. While one believer praises God in the midst of terminal illness, another grumbles because of a runny nose. What’s the difference between these two lives? Attitude. --Mike Mason

God wants you to know that when everything else is gone, that makes more room for Him, and every time there is more room for Him, you are blessed. --Angela Thomas

Because God knows all things perfectly, He knows no thing better than any other thing, but all things equally well. He never discovers anything. He is never surprised, never amazed. -- A.W. Tozer

God is a God of the second chance. Learn from One who is patient with you, and you’ll learn to be patient with others. --Woodrow Kroll

MISSED OPPORTUNITIES
The story is told of a young man who wished to marry the farmer's beautiful daughter. He went to the farmer to ask his permission. The farmer looked him over and responded, "Son, go stand out in that field and I'm going to release three bulls, one at a time. If you can catch the tail of any one of the three bulls, you can marry my daughter."
The young man stood in the pasture awaiting the first bull. The barn door opened and out ran the biggest, meanest-looking bull he had ever seen. He decided that one of the next bulls had to be a better choice than this one, so he ran over to the side and let the bull pass through the pasture out the back gate.
The barn door opened again. Unbelievable. He had never seen anything so big and fierce in his life. It stood - pawing the ground, grunting, slinging slobber - as it eyed him. Whatever the next bull was like, it had to be a better choice than this one. He ran to the fence and let the bull pass through the pasture, out the back gate.
The door opened a third time. A smile came across his face. This was the weakest, scrawniest little bull he had ever seen. This one was his bull. As the bull came running by, he positioned himself just right and jumped at just the exact moment. He grabbed... but the bull had no tail!
Life is full of opportunities. Some will be easy to take advantage of, some will be difficult. But once we let them pass (often in hopes of something better), those opportunities may never again be available.
The same thing is also true of opportunities to serve Christ. God often opens doors -- opportunities to speak up for Him, opportunities to minister to someone who is hurting or in need, opportunities to make an influence on the world around us. If we allow them to pass by (perhaps because we are waiting for something easier to come along), we may miss out on them altogether.
"Continue praying, keeping alert, and always thanking God. Also pray for us that God will give us an opportunity to tell people his message." (Col. 4:2-3a, NCV)
"Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all, especially to those who are of the household of faith." (Gal. 6:10)
May you take advantage of the doors God opens for you this day! Have a great day! Alan Smith

The Stinger Gets Stung Author Unknown
James 3:2-12 (NIV) says: "We all stumble in many ways. If anyone is never at fault in what he says, he is a perfect man, able to keep his whole body in check. When we put bits into the mouths of horses to make them obey us, we can turn the whole animal. Or take ships as an example. Although they are so large and are driven by strong winds, they are steered by a very small rudder wherever the pilot wants to go. Likewise the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts. Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark. The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole person, sets the whole course of his life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell. All kinds of animals, birds, reptiles and creatures of the sea are being tamed and have been tamed by man, but no man can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison. With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be. Can both fresh water and salt water flow from the same spring? My brothers, can a fig tree bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Neither can a salt spring produce fresh water."
Not only do we harm others with our tongues, but notice that verse 6 says that we also hurt ourselves.
The honey bee is a curious creature. When made angry, it stings, burying its stinger in the flesh of its victim. When it does, however, it inflicts a two-fold injury: to its victim and on itself. Shortly after it stings a person, the insect dies. You see, the bee really hurts itself worse than it hurts its victim.
What are some ways that a person can hurt himself by saying evil things with his mouth? How does it hurt you when you "sting" another person with your words?

SURPRISING HEROES by Ron Hutchcraft
Brian's a Youth Pastor, and Earl? His most unlikely volunteer. See, Earl wasn't the right age to help out with teenagers. A pretty simple guy, not very well educated. He had one of those faces that looked like it had been lived in for a long time. And he didn't think he had any abilities that would help. In fact, that's what he told Brian. He said, "You know, Brian, I can't do anything. But I really have a heart for kids." So Brian said, "Well, do you make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches?" Earl said, "Well, sure! I can do that!" Well, that began a series of events that changed a life; really two lives forever.
Our word for today from the Word of God, we are in Matthew 20:6-7, where Jesus is telling one of His parables. It's about a man with a vineyard. He's gone out many times to get people to help him reap his crop, and as he gets to the end of the day he still needs more help. And here's what it says, "About the eleventh hour he went out and found still others standing around. He asked them, 'Why have you been standing here all day long doing nothing?' 'Because no one has hired us' they answered. He said to them, 'You also go and work in my vineyard.'"
Now, we're looking here at people who did not know that the Master had work for them. But the Master's got work for everybody, including you; including Earl. He went to work in that Coffee House the youth ministry had going... You guessed it, he was making peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Right!
One night this hard, rough and tumble biker - real intimidating guy - came in. And he angrily walked up after he heard Christ presented and he went to Brian and said, "I don't buy any of this! Show me one reason why I should!" Earl heard this, put his peanut butter knife down, and he started to cry in the corner. Brian pointed over and said to that biker, "You see that man over there? You see his tears? Those are for you man. He's praying for you." Suddenly that biker was soft for the first time that night, and he said, "That old guy's praying for me? He's crying for me?" Brian said, "Yeah, Jesus loves you, man." And that biker came to Christ that night.
There are a lot of Earls; maybe you're one of them. Maybe you think you don't have any outstanding abilities. You're like those people who said, "Well, no one hired me. No one has asked me to do anything." Would you be willing to say, "Lord, I don't know what I can do for You, but I want to make a difference with the time I have left. So, here am I. Send me."
You never know what God's going to use. Maybe your smile, your driving. Maybe he'll use your abilities as a preparer of home-cooked meals, or your ability to bake mouth watering cookies and cakes to reach hurting, lonely people. Maybe He's going to use your listening. Or your tears, like Earl's tears. Maybe your letter writing, your background; the pain of your background that could connect you to some other people with the same kind of background. Or maybe, He'll have you make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.
But would you let God lay some needy group of people, some ministry, some work for Him on your heart? And then tell someone that you have that burden, that you're willing to do anything. And trust God. He knows you intimately and He'll put you some place to minister. You are that unique person that could make a unique difference for Him. Even if you can't imagine it, Jesus is saying to you right now, "You also go and work in my vineyard."
Earl? His peanut butter and jelly sandwiches put him at the right place at the right time. His heart, his tears, brought a seemingly unreachable man to Jesus Christ. Changed a biker's life and it changed Earl's. Jesus needs you, to be one of His surprising heroes.

What Kind Of Impact Do You Have? Author Unknown
In his book, "A Thinking Man's Guide to Pro-Football," Paul Zimmerman quotes a physicist who had made an incredible discovery. This physicist had the facts to prove that when a 240-pound lineman (capable of running the 100-yard dash in eleven seconds) collides with a 240-pound running back (capable of covering the same distance in ten seconds), the resultant kinetic energy is "enough to move 66,000 pounds--or 33 tones--one inch."
The resultant force registers nearly 1000 Gs. That is 1000 times the force of gravity. Astronauts on take off experience a force of approximately 10 Gs and pilots tend to black out at approximately 20 Gs. When one considers the number of blows absorbed by an average running back in only three years of playing professional ball, it's amazing that any are able to walk at all upon retiring from the game.
What kind of impact are you having on the lives of other people? Most do not consider the spiritual impact that they have on people around them. Who can possibly gauge the impact that an 80-year-old shepherd named Moses had on Egypt when he stood up against Pharaoh? Nor can one measure the impact that Nehemiah had on Tobiah...or Job had on Elihu...or Paul had on Agrippa...or Luther had on rome...or evangelists like Wesley, Moody and Graham have had on America and England.
How about your life? Whose life has the Lord used you to impact? We impact lives every day...good or bad. God gives us daily opportunities to serve as His personal messengers; how well do we carry out our assignments?

Trusting Him To Be Our Guide Author Unkown
The first time Jennifer rode on the back of a bicycle built for two, she was terrified. The second seat of a tandem bike wouldn't normally be scary--unless, of course, you're blind like Jennifer. As she pedaled along the Intercoastal Highway in West Palm Beach, she realize that her life was in the hands of the front rider--her husband--the only one with the vision to know where they were going. She had to trust that he would take a safe path...and not run her into a tree.
We are much like Jennifer in our journey through life. We don't have control of what lies ahead or the circumstances around us. But God does. We must trust Him to be our guide. Once we do that, we can let go of the handlebars, throw our hands into the air, and enjoy the abundant journey He has prepared for us. In trusting the One who leads, we can experience the absolute joy and freedom that come from following Him without reservation.

Notice The Little Things by Joyce Meyer
One day as I was going into an office building, a man standing nearby opened the door for me. I thanked him and smiled. "You're the fifth person I've held the door for," he said, "and you're the first one to smile and the second to thank me."
I thanked him a second time, with a smile on my face. Afterward, I thought how much we take others for granted, even in simple things, such as opening a door for a stranger.
We often commend people when they do big things for us, but how often do we appreciate the little things?
When a person does something nice for you and you thank them, it builds them up and encourages them. It means a lot to them, just like it did to the man at the office building.
Did your bus arrive on time today? If so, did you thank the driver? The last time you ate at a restaurant, did you thank the waiter for filling your coffee cup a second time without being asked? This is the point I want to make: Develop an attitude of gratitude toward the people in your life.
Prayer Starter: Lord, keep me aware so that I will notice the little, helpful things that people do for me. I don't want to be ungrateful. Instead, I want to thank them and build them up.
Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing. (*1 Thessalonians‬ *5‬:*11‬ NIV)

TURN YOUR SECURITY SYSTEM ON! Author Unknown
A horrible thing happened to me today.....a thief broke into my house. It happened shortly after I awoke this morning. I got up and began rushing about. I had a thousand things on my list and was already running behind. Quickly, I gulped down breakfast, took a shower and got ready for work.
In my rush, I forgot to turn the security system on at my house. It was just about a half an hour later that the thief broke in. Of course, he didn't make a sound. Just kind of snuck inside, not drawing any attention to himself. In fact, none of the neighbors ever saw him.
But, I did.
You see, I WAS HOME when the thief broke in.
He naturally startled me, as I was unprepared for his visit. He, of course, didn't announce that he was coming and I certainly had not invited him over.
And yet, I found myself face to face with danger and I felt so powerless. I also felt so very stupid, because this whole incident could have been avoided if I had just taken the time to turn the security system on.
You better believe I'll be turning it on tomorrow morning! I thought I'd warn you about this guy, because he's still on the loose. Chances are, he's in your area. Possibly even headed for your house.
His name? His name is Satan. You see, this morning when I jumped up in my haste to get started on my busy day, I skipped my prayer time - opting to "pray later today." In other words, I DIDN'T TURN ON THE SECURITY SYSTEM. My defense wasn't on, my guard was dropped ..... and when the thief came into my home to attack me, I was unprepared to do battle. He tempted me and I felt powerless. Like I said, I also felt so very stupid, because I could have avoided the incident if I had just taken the time to pray.
My friend, the thief has come to "steal, kill and destroy." And, as a Child of God, you are on his "hit list." He'll probably pop over to your house today. He may be lurking outside your door right now, just waiting to catch you off guard.
Take time to pray this morning. Ask God to bind Satan from your very presence, to protect you and empower you to do battle. In short ..... don't forget to turn your security system on.

Small Straws In A Soft Wind by Marsha Burns
In a vision I saw someone rising up from the earth; suspended in mid-air. There was no resistance nor hindrance to movement. At one point this person appeared to be lying in a hammock, but there were no visible structures of any kind. It was very peaceful, and I asked the Lord what it could mean. He said, "If you will rise up by faith and live in the Spirit, the harshness and restrictions of the earth will have no power over you. You will experience great freedom, rest, and peace." Galatians 5:25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

Beloved, I want you to be the best you can be in My kingdom. Go beyond the mundane and experience the spirit realm first-hand. Don't be satisfied with hearing the stories of the extraordinary spiritual experiences of other people. Step out in the faith that what I do with and through others, I will do with you. I do not discriminate, nor do I value one individual more than another, says the Lord. Be assured that if you are available and completely surrender to Me, I will manifest Myself to and through you. Acts 10:34 Then Peter opened his mouth and said: "In truth I perceive that God shows no partiality."

Clear your mind of all negativity and past disappointments. Let darkness go, and set your mind on light and life. Deliberately think about things that bring hope and encouragement. This is a choice and a discipline, but the more you direct your thoughts, the more doors will open for good things, says the Lord. I am your hope. Philippians 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there by any praise, think on these things.

In a vision I saw ominous storm clouds gathered on the horizon. Then, I saw a shepherd with a small flock of sheep in the meadow below. There was a gentle breeze and then gusts of wind. I watched as the sheep in the meadow became restless and unsettled, so the shepherd found a rock outcropping with a big rock overhang on the edge of that field. He took his sheep there for protection until the storm passed by. And I heard the voice of the Lord: There is a storm coming, the likes of which you have not seen, but I am the Great Shepherd and those who are Mine will be protected. The storms are spiritual and must come to give opportunity to those who are wayward to come into My fold. 2 Chronicles 24:19 Yet he sent prophets to them to bring them again unto the LORD; and they testified against them but they would not give ear.

Be still and find that place of peace that goes beyond your natural understanding. You, My people, are being bombarded with too much noise and too many words. The earth is filled with words of deception, fear, and outrage. But, you must stay calm and fill yourself with truth, peace, and assurance that I am with you, says the Lord. Do not allow the forces of darkness to take you off course. Be strong and steadfast. 1Corinthians 15:58 Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your labor is not in vain in the Lord.

The Trumpet by Bill Burns
"Set the trumpet to your mouth!" Hosea 8:1
The Holy Spirit is saying, "What is the problem? Whatever you think it is, it is not. I am aware of your situation and your circumstances. You can trust Me to help you if you can only believe. I will fulfill My duty on your behalf and all you have to do is trust, believe and obey that which I speak to you.

The Unseen Hand by Heidi Viars
An Unseen Hand has formed this place –
From nothing made all that is seen.
The Hand which spans all time and space
With gentle care formed you and me.
This Hand has weighed the mountains grand.
Deep in its hollow measured seas.
It counted dust and grains of sand,
Set boundaries for all living things.
The Unseen Hand fights unseen wars –
Smites evil, strikes our unseen foe.
Fights for souls while baring scars.
Until it wins, it won’t let go.
You are the craft of Unseen Hands –
In Potter’s Hands become the clay.
As you submit your feeble plans
Strong, Unseen Hands prepare a way.

Father, teach me to recognize and trust Your Unseen Hand. Help me to rest in Your hand and not lean on my own understanding. You are mighty. You are wise. I love You, Lord!

“For My hand made all these things, Thus all these things came into being,” declares the LORD “But to this one I will look, To him who is humble and contrite of spirit, and who trembles at My word.” Isaiah 66:2

I Lift These Hands by Emily Matthews
I lift these hands, dear God, to You,
In praise and thanks for all You do.
You light the path through all my days
And bless me with Your loving ways ...
I lift these hands dear God, to You,
In troubled hours when joys are few.
You bear me up on eagles'wings and
See me through each test life brings.
I lift these hands, dear God, to You,
Please grant me wisdom, patience, too.
Then fill my heart with love and caring,
Precious gifts You've made for sharing.

Psalm 63:4 I will praise You as long as I live, and in Your name I will lift up my hands.

The LORD says, "You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart." Jeremiah 29:13

Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us. 1 John 4:11-12

Where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. Matthew 6:21

God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him may not perish but may have eternal life. John 3:16

Jesus said to [the disciples], "My food is to do the will of him who sent me and to complete his work." John 4:34

I tell you the truth, he who believes has everlasting life. I am the bread of life. Your forefathers ate the manna in the desert, yet they died. But here is the bread that comes down from heaven, which a man may eat and not die. I am the living bread that came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever. This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.”
John 6:47-51

Make every effort to live in peace with all men and to be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord. Hebrews 12:14

Stand Out Rose by Sally I. Kennedy
This is what the Lord says, he who created you, he
who formed you: Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine. Isaiah 43:1
On the side of our house, my husband has a small rose garden. He plants, prunes, fertilizes, and sprays the bushes. We so enjoy the beauty of the blooms, as well as their wonderful fragrance.
A few months ago, he set 2 or 3 of the rose bushes,
still in plastic pots, aside. They were nearly dead and he planned to throw them away, but he forgot. So they stayed there, and they became overgrown with tall grass and weeds.
Today when I opened the shutters, I immediately not
iced this tiny rose bud outside the window. It stood out because of the bright color, in contrast to the dark shades of green all around it. The stem was about a foot high, and the little flower a beautiful pinkish-orange hue.
There it was, rising out of the midst of the stubble and weeds. It's amazing what God can grow out of an overgrown cast-off pot. HE is the One who can grow something beautiful out of any thing, and in
everyone. In fact, He is just waiting for the chance for us to let Him. That's good news!

Dear God, We thank You for this day and all its blessings. Help us to recognize Your abundant grace, and show us how to use Your gifts in loving others. Thank You for Your love, Your forgiveness, and Your lessons in compassion. Help us to learn from our mistakes. We yearn to serve You better. Amen.

Read Through The Bible
Esther 1
The King Dethrones Queen Vashti
1 Now it came to pass in the days of Ahasuerus (this was the Ahasuerus who reigned over one hundred and twenty-seven provinces, from India to Ethiopia), 2 in those days when King Ahasuerus sat on the throne of his kingdom, which was in Shushan the citadel, 3 that in the third year of his reign he made a feast for all his officials and servants—the powers of Persia and Media, the nobles, and the princes of the provinces being before him— 4 when he showed the riches of his glorious kingdom and the splendor of his excellent majesty for many days, one hundred and eighty days in all. 5 And when these days were completed, the king made a feast lasting seven days for all the people who were present in Shushan the citadel, from great to small, in the court of the garden of the king’s palace. 6 There were white and blue linen curtains fastened with cords of fine linen and purple on silver rods and marble pillars; and the couches were of gold and silver on a mosaic pavement of alabaster, turquoise, and white and black marble. 7 And they served drinks in golden vessels, each vessel being different from the other, with royal wine in abundance, according to the generosity of the king. 8 In accordance with the law, the drinking was not compulsory; for so the king had ordered all the officers of his household, that they should do according to each man’s pleasure. 9 Queen Vashti also made a feast for the women in the royal palace which belonged to King Ahasuerus. 10 On the seventh day, when the heart of the king was merry with wine, he commanded Mehuman, Biztha, Harbona, Bigtha, Abagtha, Zethar, and Carcas, seven eunuchs who served in the presence of King Ahasuerus, 11 to bring Queen Vashti before the king, wearing her royal crown, in order to show her beauty to the people and the officials, for she was beautiful to behold. 12 But Queen Vashti refused to come at the king’s command brought by his eunuchs; therefore the king was furious, and his anger burned within him. 13 Then the king said to the wise men who understood the times (for this was the king’s manner toward all who knew law and justice, 14 those closest to him being Carshena, Shethar, Admatha, Tarshish, Meres, Marsena, and Memucan, the seven princes of Persia and Media, who had access to the king’s presence, and who ranked highest in the kingdom): 15 “What shall we do to Queen Vashti, according to law, because she did not obey the command of King Ahasuerus brought to her by the eunuchs?” 16 And Memucan answered before the king and the princes: “Queen Vashti has not only wronged the king, but also all the princes, and all the people who are in all the provinces of King Ahasuerus. 17 For the queen’s behavior will become known to all women, so that they will despise their husbands in their eyes, when they report, ‘King Ahasuerus commanded Queen Vashti to be brought in before him, but she did not come.’ 18 This very day the noble ladies of Persia and Media will say to all the king’s officials that they have heard of the behavior of the queen. Thus there will be excessive contempt and wrath. 19 If it pleases the king, let a royal decree go out from him, and let it be recorded in the laws of the Persians and the Medes, so that it will not be altered, that Vashti shall come no more before King Ahasuerus; and let the king give her royal position to another who is better than she. 20 When the king’s decree which he will make is proclaimed throughout all his empire (for it is great), all wives will honor their husbands, both great and small.” 21 And the reply pleased the king and the princes, and the king did according to the word of Memucan. 22 Then he sent letters to all the king’s provinces, to each province in its own script, and to every people in their own language, that each man should be master in his own house, and speak in the language of his own people.

Heavenly Father, thank You for the hope You offer for the future. Help us to accept change without fear and to be confident that You will lead us. Amen.

Wherever you are in life, whatever you've done, you can begin again. If you do not have Jesus in your life and wish to ask Jesus into your life please go to this link now to do so: http://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130 .
Jesus is calling you to live a life that matters.