PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Spiritual Meditations - February 19

bluidkiti
02-16-2016, 01:20 PM
We have the ability to choose everlasting life by believing in Jesus Christ. Praise God that we all have the chance to believe and to receive salvation!

Peace with God brings the peace of God. It is a peace that settles our nerves, fills our mind, floods our spirit, and in the midst of the uproar around us, gives us the assurance that everything is all right. - Bob Mumford

What are you waiting for at the moment? Picture yourself placing these things, and any worries you may have, in the Lord’s hands.

Life may be full of trouble. But we can have confidence in our God that even if the earth shakes and trembles and the mountains fall into the sea, we are in good hands. From our perspective and limited knowledge, the situation may seem hopeless. However, God’s knowledge exceeds ours. With God as our helper, our fear can give way to a sense of peace and security. Our heavenly Father knows what is on the other side of the doors in our lives, and we can trust God in all things. Right now, we can take our heavenly Father’s hand and go forward.

When we treat others as Christ would, help others as he did, and love others as he taught, we take on Christ’s image.

Leaning on God lightens our burdens and lifts our spirits.

Sometimes we’re afraid to commit to a task God has placed before us. We fear we can’t do it, or we think of all the things that could go wrong. But if we truly trust God, we can take a deep breath, “go for it,” and then be amazed at what God has empowered us to do.

When we believe and accept the forgiving grace of God and the fresh start God gives us each day can we leave our lives of sin. When we embrace the truth of God’s love, our lives will never be the same.

God’s word encourages us to do good deeds and to show kindness toward others. Christ loved us so much that he gave his life for us. Through our works of love and kindness, we express our love for Christ and show that we belong to him.

OVERCOMING WORRY by Alan Smith
The story is told of a young man who was fresh out of business school. He was looking for a job and saw an ad in the newspaper for a small business needing an accountant. So he answered the ad and ended up going in for an interview with this very nervous man who was running this small business that he had started himself.
The man said, "I need someone with an accounting degree. But mostly I'm looking for someone to do my worrying for me."
The young man said, "Excuse me? I'm afraid I don't understand."
The owner said, "I worry about a lot of things, but I don't want to have to worry about money. Your job will be to take all the money worries off my back."
The young fellow said, "OK, I understand. And how much does the job pay?"
The owner said, "I'll start you at eighty thousand a year."
The young man was blown away. He said, "Eighty thousand dollars! How can such a small business afford a salary like that?"
The owner said "That is your first worry."
If I were to ask, "How many of you would like to learn how to worry more? How many of you feel that your life would be improved if only you could spend more time worrying about stuff?", I doubt if I would get any takers. We don't like to worry and we know that, just as Jesus said in the Sermon on the Mount, it doesn't do any good.
But Jesus gives us yet another reason why we shouldn't worry -- because worry demonstrates a lack of faith! "Now if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is, and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will He not much more clothe you, O you of little faith?" (Matthew 6:30)
Notice the phrase that Jesus uses here to describe people who worry -- "O you of little faith." It's important for us to understand that worry and faith are opposites. If you have faith, then you won't worry. If you worry, then you don't have sufficient faith. You may tell yourself, "I believe that God is able to take care of me". But something inside you whispers, "Hey, what if? What if it doesn't work out?" The seeds of doubt result in a harvest of worry.
Jesus makes the point in Matthew 6:32 that worry is characteristic of pagans ("after all these things the Gentiles seek"). It's normal for somebody who's not a Christian to sit around wringing his hands, worried about what might happen or what might not happen. You expect that from someone who's not a Christian because they don't have a trust that God will take care of them.
I would like to think that my children have never worried about whether or not they would have a bed to sleep in from week to week. They've never worried about whether or not there would be enough food for them to eat for supper. They've never worried about whether or not they would have clothes to wear. Why didn't they worry about those things? Because they had two parents who loved them and provided for them.
And if my kids got up one morning and said, "Dad, I couldn't sleep last night because I was afraid there wouldn't be anything to eat today," it would bother me. In fact, it might even anger me a little bit. "Suddenly, you think I'm not going to take care of you any more? What's that all about?"
I wonder if God feels the same way when we worry about stuff. The bottom line question when we're tempted to worry is this: "Do we truly believe that God will take care of us?"
In the next TFTD, we'll look at what Jesus said we can do to overcome worry.

Leave It by Lynne Phipps
Ephesians 5:15-17 – Be very careful, then, how you live — not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord's will is. (NIV)
Sophie, my two-year-old retriever, is always finding things to pick up and chew on or eat during our daily walks. I, in turn, am always telling her to leave it, which she does for the moment. Once I am not looking, however, she does a U-turn and goes back to her found treasure. Having become accustomed to this behavior of hers, I thus keep a close watch on her and once again tell her to leave it. Sometimes, this behavior is repeated several times before she finally chooses to leave it behind.
I don't make Sophie leave it because I want to spoil her enjoyment but because this habit is one which could seriously harm or even kill her, depending upon what she has found.
Similarly, the Bible outlines various behaviors where God says to His people: "Leave it." He wants us to turn away from it and leave it behind because He knows that it is not good for us. It is behavior which would pull us down, bring us to harm, or hurt those around us — behavior which is immature and unwise.
"Leave it" is not always easy to do, however, as I'm sure, like me, you may have discovered for yourself. Habits are difficult to break. We also sometimes have the urge to try something just because everyone else is doing it or because we think it might be fun or enjoyable. In the long run, however, when God says "Leave it", trusting in His love for us and doing it always works out for the best for everyone.
Today, what thing or things in your life do you know you need to leave behind? What might God be saying "Leave it" to you about? I know what He is talking to me about, and in His strength, I am disciplining myself daily to leave it as commanded, for I want to live not as unwise but as wise, understanding and doing the Lord's will, making the most of every opportunity to be a good witness for Him.
How about you?
Prayer: Thank You, Lord, for Your great and wondrous love that refuses to let us go when we want to go our own way. In Your mercy and goodness, Your Spirit continues to work within our innermost being, calling us to leave it and walk in obedience with You. Bless us this day with willing hearts to leave behind all that might hinder our Christian maturity and witness. In Christ's name, we pray. Amen.

A Bride Prays By Heather Smirnoff
I stood before the full-length mirror in the church’s bridal suite, looking past myself in my wedding gown, searching for a blessing. The secret blessing I’d prayed for.
My soon-to-be mother-in-law fussed with the train on my gown, and the reflection got blurry as my eyes welled with tears. Not even my fiancé, Paul, knew the sadness that weighed on my heart, the longing I had for the presence of the five people missing from my special day. My mom, my aunt, Grandma and Grandpa, and my sister, Audrey. Five people I’d adored.
My aunt and grandmother had passed away many years before; Grandpa, Mom and Audrey had all died within four years of each other. I didn’t know how the rules of heaven worked, but I’d asked God for a travel allowance, permission for all five to be in attendance.
The Wayfarers Chapel in Rancho Palos Verdes, California, designed by the son of Frank Lloyd Wright, had a beautiful glass sanctuary—nothing blocked the altar from the sky above. A perfect view from heaven, I thought.
I had asked for a very specific sign—something fluttering into the church, a sign I couldn’t miss. On that chill November evening, though, I’d finally accepted that it was unlikely to happen. It wasn’t that God didn’t care, but that I’d asked for too much.
“Don’t cry, dear, you’ll ruin your makeup,” Paul’s mother said, noticing the tears trailing down my cheeks. Her English-bred politeness and charm usually eased my nerves. But no one could distract me from the absence I felt today.
“I see that I should give this gift to you now.” She reached into her bag and pulled out a slim box. “I found this lovely handkerchief in a little English shop in Santa Monica. It was such fine quality linen. There was another I liked even more, but this one spoke to me. It has little butterflies on it."
Butterflies? Paul’s mother couldn’t have known—I hadn’t told a soul but God. The sign I’d prayed for was a white butterfly. She handed me the delicate square of white cloth. Sure enough, it was embroidered with butterflies. Five white butterflies.
A flurry of blotting tissues and powder brushes had me looking radiant in almost no time. Finally ready to walk down the aisle, in front of everyone— everyone—I loved.

The Importance of Being with Friends by Lillian Daniel
Jesus followed up. "Yes. For there was once a man who threw a great dinner party and invited many. When it was time for dinner, he sent out his servant to the invited guests, saying, ‘Come on in; the food's on the table.' Then they all began to beg off, one after another making excuses." - Luke 14:16-18
There was a story a while back about a guy on Facebook who had about 900 friends, and he invited them all to a party. You know the punch line: not one of them showed up.
It was an experiment to see whether Facebook friends really deserve the title of friend. People were struck at the irony that someone with hundreds of online contacts couldn't get one person to hang out with him.
Is our culture so disconnected that we are in constant touch electronically, but just too busy to see one another in person? Is this a modern problem? Or is it perhaps a problem of human nature that has been around forever?
From the story Jesus told, it seems that we are not the first generation to call each other "friends" but not have time for one another.
And we are not the first generation to call Jesus "friend," but not make time for him as well.
If you need a little inspiration, listen to Ella Fitzgerald make the case, singing "What a Friend We Have in Jesus."
Prayer: What a friend we have in Jesus, all our sins and griefs to bear. What a privilege to carry everything to God in prayer. Oh, what peace we often forfeit, oh, what needless pain we bear, all because we do not carry everything to God in prayer. Amen.

Josephine Ligon tells of a family in the town where she grew up who preached and practiced forgiveness. Their name was Parsons. On one occasion, Mr. Parsons watched young Josephine get swatted by the broom of a mean old lady in town who didn't like the neighborhood children getting too close to her property. He stopped Josephine and told her, "Go back and tell Mrs. Brink that you forgive her for hitting you."
"Say, 'I forgive you' to Mrs. Brink?"
Mr. Parsons smiled. "Forgiveness comes in many forms," he said. "You don't actually have to say, 'I forgive you.' A simple smile will do. You might just tell her that her daffodils are pretty."
It seemed dumb to young Josephine, but in those days children did what their elders told them to do. So, she went back and mumbled something to Mrs. Brink about her daffodils being pretty. Mrs. Brink looked shocked, but it was the last time Josephine ever felt her broom.
On another occasion Josephine and several of her third grade friends put a handful of pencil shavings into the Parsons girl's sandwich, just to be mean and to make her mad. But she didn't get mad. Instead, the next day, without any sign of repentance from her persecutors, the Parsons girl brought everyone in the class a large, beautiful, delicious, hand-decorated cookie which said, "Jesus loves you." Years later Josephine Ligon still remembers that demonstration of forgiveness more than any sermon.
Forgiveness is more than words; it's action! -- From: Christianity Today

Hole in the Center by Sally I. Kennedy
He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds. Psalm 147:3
The tree was smack downtown surrounded by a lot of concrete, stores, and cars, with roots going down into a tiny patch of dirt by the street. Right in the middle of the trunk was a hole, apparently made by a branch growing around the back and grafting itself onto the main tree trunk.
The leaves of the tree were shiny, healthy looking, with a vibrant deep green hue. And the tree functioned as a bit of a shade-giver there by the steamy pavement. Everything about it seemed to be okay.
Except that it still had the hole in its center.
Sometimes we walk around with holes in our hearts, the center of our being. We look good, we carry on day-to-day, and the hole goes undetected by anyone. Jesus demonstrated the love of God towards us all. He came to restore us to our relationship with God, and He came to heal...including holes in our hearts.
The love of God can supernaturally heal up holes in our broken and pained hearts, so that we go from a hole to whole. Not only can He, but He is more than willing to. Prayer is just the blink of an eye away. That's good news.

Small Straws In A Soft Wind by Marsha Burns
In a vision I saw a boy watching a baseball game through a knothole in a fence. I realized that looking through a knothole represents a position of focus without peripheral distractions. And, I heard the Lord say, "I want you to focus on things of importance without being distracted by things that the enemy will use to divide and conquer. Your eternal perspective is vital to a successful outcome in your current situation." Proverbs 4:27 Do not turn to the right or the left; remove your foot from evil.

Many of you are spiritually groggy or sleeping. I am nudging you to wake up to the reality of what I am doing in the unseen realm. I never sleep. I am always preparing those whose hearts are actually seeking to know Me. Look away from the natural scheme of things and seek Me in spirit, says the Lord. Psalms 121:4 Behold, He who keeps Israel shall neither slumber nor sleep.

Refuse to allow fantasy or presumption to cloud your spiritual perspective. Stay in the reality of the spirit realm and My kingdom, says the Lord. Add nothing to it, and take nothing away. Let your faith be the mainstay that will keep you on the path of righteousness. Carnal thinking and emotional reactions to situations and circumstances are the things that will undermine your strength and vitality in the Spirit. Be strong! Psalms 19:14 Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Your sight, O LORD, my strength and my Redeemer.

You have an opportunity to be great. But, greatness doesn't happen to you, it happens in you. You can make great choices to put Me first, to live a life of faith, to be honorable, to have integrity, and to treat others with respect and dignity. Who you are externally reflects who you are internally. Come to Me in the secret place, in a private chamber, and let Me transform you, says the Lord. Matthew 6:6 "But you, when you pray, go into your room, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly."

To those of you who do not know what to do or what your next step is, you must ask Me for guidance and direction. And then, wait quietly for My leading, for surely I will move you forward as you yield to My will, says the Lord. I will show you the way that will result in what is best for you long-term. Trust Me. Psalms 32:8 I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will guide you with My eye.

Refuse to get stuck in this in-between place of uncertainty. You do not necessarily have to take giant steps in the face of the unknown, but you can take the next small step while still remaining cautious. Above all, you can trust Me to give you wisdom and to direct your steps. You are not alone, says the Lord. Proverbs 16:9 A man’s heart plans his way, but the LORD directs his steps.

Use caution in forming new connections. Things are not as they seem. Discernment is necessary if you are going to avoid being taken advantage of. You cannot trust systems or people that you personally do not know are reliable. If it seems too good to be true, it usually is. Ask Me for wisdom, says the Lord. Proverbs 2:3-6 Yes, if you cry out for discernment, and lift up your voice for understanding, if you seek her as silver, and search for her as for hidden treasures; then you will understand the fear of the LORD, and find the knowledge of God.

The Trumpet by Bill Burns
"Set the trumpet to your mouth!" Hosea 8:1
I hear the Spirit of the Lord saying that refocusing is a necessary function of your spiritual life in this season. You must focus on the values that will carry you into the spiritual destiny that I have designed for you. Stop for a moment and re-evaluate who you are, where you are, what I have for you, and then go forward with the ability to see with greater clarity. The work that I am doing is to cause you to be able to see and understand that which I am doing on your behalf. Rise to the revelation and understanding that I am God Most High and that I am for you and will lead you and guide you into all that I have for you in this specific season. Don’t disregard it. Re-establish your focus and walk with Me into the fullness of your destiny.

It is time for you to become new wine skins, for the old wine skins have become dry and hardened and will not be able to expand with the revelation of that which I am doing in this season. So, let your wine skin be renewed by the oil of this moment and the oil that I am providing for you. Let the oil of My touch and My glory soften and refresh you, anoint you, and hold you. Let the oil of My glory come upon you. Be renewed. Be made into a new skin so that you may hold the glory of this season and so you may not only have a taste of it but that you shall become full of it; that you shall contain all that I am doing. Let My glory come upon you and change you, says the Lord God.

My Child, You're Not Damaged Goods By Debbie Preuss
Damaged goods, My child, you're not
Just in case you have forgot
I made you, just as you are
To Me, you are My shining star
I love you child, you are Mine
You are the branch, I am the Vine
Though challenged may your body be
Know that you are loved by Me
Though man may spurn you, turn away
By your side I'll always stay
Broken body, battered soul
I alone can make you whole
Ask and I will come to you
I will help and guide you through
In My arms, you are secure
Day by day, I'll help you endure
When you hurt, know I hurt too
See I am here, to see you through
You are My precious, betrothed bride
So come to Me and in Me hide
Just in case you've ever forgot
Precious child, damaged goods you're not

The Way Virginia Santoro
"It's happening. It's working ~
My Lord's blessed plan.
I follow the path carved...
by His Loving Hands.
I've listened. I've heard it ~
His Guidance, His Care.
In quiet and stillness,
His assurance is there.
I see it so clearly -
His Way in my view.
Life in Divine Order...
My God leads me through."

14 Satisfy us in the morning with your unfailing love, that we may sing for joy and be glad all our days. 15 Make us glad for as many days as you have afflicted us, for as many years as we have seen trouble. 16 May your deeds be shown to your servants, your splendor to their children. 17 May the favor of the Lord our God rest on us; establish the work of our hands for us—yes, establish the work of our hands. Psalm 90:14-17

Psalm 71:5-9 – For You are my hope, O Lord God; You are my trust from my youth. By You I have been upheld from birth; You are He who took me out of my mother's womb. My praise shall be continually of You. I have become as a wonder to many, but You are my strong refuge. Let my mouth be filled with Your praise and with Your glory all the day. Do not cast me off in the time of old age; do not forsake me when my strength fails.

Psalm 92:12-15 – The righteous shall flourish like a palm tree, he shall grow like a cedar in Lebanon. Those who are planted in the house of the Lord shall flourish in the courts of our God. They shall still bear fruit in old age; they shall be fresh and flourishing, to declare that the Lord is upright; He is my rock, and there is no unrighteousness in Him.

Joshua 1:9 "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.

God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. - John 3:16-17

God is our refuge and strength, a help always near in times of great trouble. That’s why we won’t be afraid when the world falls apart. - Psalm 46:1-2

Isaiah said, “Surely God is my salvation; I will trust, and will not be afraid, for the LORD GOD is my strength and my might." - Isaiah 12:2

There is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit who gives life has set you free from the law of sin and death. - Romans 8:1-2

AN AMAZING FIND! by Russ Lawson
There is an old story handed down from the country of Serendip (present day Sri Lanka). In this story there were three princes who traveled the country and quite by accident would discover amazing and unexpected things. In 1754 after discovering these stories, Horace Walpole coined the word, "Serendipity". The basic understanding of the word I prefer would be: "The art of finding what you're not looking for."
As I thought about this understanding of the word, I thought of how much of our Christian life is a serendipity. How many things do we find unexpectedly which turn out to amaze us. I think that is why we sing songs like, "Amazing Grace," or "I stand amazed in the presence "or" Oh what wondrous love."
Our journey through life with Christ, the creator and sustainer of the universe is amazing, especially when you consider his sacrifice for and his fellowship with us. I can hardly read any section of the scripture that I don't find some new understanding, run across some tidbit that I've somehow over looked in the past or suddenly awaken to a new insight. Christianity is never boring, it is always amazing, always a serendipity.
This has always been the effect that Jesus has had upon people. In Matthew 7:28 we are told that people were amazed at his teachings and the authority he exhibited. In Mark 10:24 we see that his disciples were amazed at his teaching. He revealed hidden treasures unexpectedly then as he does now.
The question is, what we do with the treasure, how do we deal with the serendipity of life in Christ. Well the scripture doesn't leave us hanging on that on that point, but gives us some instructions concerning how to deal with these unexpected treasures.
Jesus said in Matthew 6:19-21, "Don't store up treasures here on earth, where moths eat them and rust destroys them, and where thieves break in and steal. Store your treasures in heaven, where moths and rust cannot destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. Wherever your treasure is, there the desires of your heart will also be." (NLT)
May your life be a continual amazing serendipity!

In the Palm of Your Hand
You helped me when I was down,
When I lifted my hands to you
In earnest pleading.
Lord, give me the grace
To be gracious
And generous
To the pleading hands

Read Through The Bible
Psalm 2
1 Why do the heathen rage, and the people imagine a vain thing? 2 The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the Lord, and against his anointed, saying, 3 Let us break their bands asunder, and cast away their cords from us. 4 He that sitteth in the heavens shall laugh: the Lord shall have them in derision. 5 Then shall he speak unto them in his wrath, and vex them in his sore displeasure. 6 Yet have I set my king upon my holy hill of Zion. 7 I will declare the decree: the Lord hath said unto me, Thou art my Son; this day have I begotten thee. 8 Ask of me, and I shall give thee the heathen for thine inheritance, and the uttermost parts of the earth for thy possession. 9 Thou shalt break them with a rod of iron; thou shalt dash them in pieces like a potter's vessel. 10 Be wise now therefore, O ye kings: be instructed, ye judges of the earth. 11 Serve the Lord with fear, and rejoice with trembling. 12 Kiss the Son, lest he be angry, and ye perish from the way, when his wrath is kindled but a little. Blessed are all they that put their trust in him.

Dear God, thank you for giving your son for us so that we have a chance to live eternally with you. Give us the courage to share your grace and to encourage others to make the conscious choice to believe in Jesus Christ. Amen.

Wherever you are in life, whatever you've done, you can begin again. If you do not have Jesus in your life and wish to ask Jesus into your life please go to this link now to do so: http://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130 .
Jesus is calling you to live a life that matters.