Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums

Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/index.php)
-   Daily Recovery Readings (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   A Prayer & Some Thoughts - July (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23897)

bluidkiti 07-16-2021 05:23 AM

July 16

Seeking Hope Prayer

Lord,
Today I ask forgiveness of all the negative and harmful words I have spoken.
Please forgive me for my bad attitude when things don't go my way.
Please help me move beyond the hurdles that trip me up and give me the strength and wisdom to look up and see the hope.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Drinking is the way we alcoholics express our maladjustments to life.

I believe that I was a potential alcoholic from the start. I had an inferiority complex. I didn't make friends easily. There was a wall between me and other people. And I was lonely. I was not well adjusted to life.

So ............

Did I drink to escape from myself?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

A New Boss

When we turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understand Him, we have a new employer. From now on, we are working first of all for our Higher Power.

Before, we were probably motivated by egotism, the desire for personal power, prestige, and superiority. No amount o alcohol, f food, sex, or material wealth was enough. God did not create us to satisfy ourselves; He created us to serve Him and others.

Recovering a sense of stewardship may take time for those of us who have spent many years trying to gratify our own desires. We need to pause often each day to ask for God's guidance, so that the work we do, the activities we enjoy, and the thoughts we think may all serve Him. Under His direction, our talents and abilities develop.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When The Chips Are Down

When we developed still more, we discovered the best possible source of emotional stability to be God Himself. We found that dependence upon His perfect justice, forgiveness, and love was healthy, and that it would work where nothing else would. If we really depended upon God, we couldn't very well play God to our fellows nor would we feel the urge wholly to rely on human protection and care.

Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions Page 116

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"People may doubt what you say, but they will believe what you do." ~ Dick P.

bluidkiti 07-17-2021 04:41 AM

July 17

Prayer for Success

Lord,
At this time in my life, I am not sure which direction to go. Help me Lord to be wise in the decisions I make at this junction, where various doors have seemed to have closed behind me. Lead me Lord in the direction that You would have me go day in, and day out. Lord, I want my life to count, and I want to be successful in making a difference. Take my life Lord, and at this crossroads, and rearrange my direction to coincide with your will for me .
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Alcoholism is a progressive illness.

We go through the three stages of social drinking, trouble drinking, and merry-go-round drinking. We land in hospitals and jails. We eventually can lose our homes, our families, and our self-respect. Yes, alcoholism is a progressive illness and there are only three ends to it - the insane asylum, the morgue, or total abstinence.

So ............

Will I choose not to take the first drink?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Perfectionism

Part of the ego reduction necessary to our recovery is the acceptance of the fact that we are not and never will be perfect. Perfectionism gets in the way of recovery because it imposes impossible, unrealistic goals which guarantee failure. If we do not think we have to be perfect, then we can accept our mistakes as learning experiences and be willing to try again.

Deepening acquaintance with our Higher Power is good insurance against perfectionism. We come to believe that He accepts and loves us as we are, and this gives us the courage and humility to accept ourselves.

We are not perfect, but we are growing. In spite of our weaknesses, we can serve others according to God's plan for our lives. Accepting our own limitations makes us more tolerant of the faults and weaknesses of those around us. Together, we progress.

I am thankful that I don't need to be perfect.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Living Sober

Somewhat to our surprise, staying sober turns out not to be the grim, wet-blanket experience we had expected! While we were drinking, a life without alcohol seemed like no life at all.
But for sober members of AA, living sober is really living -- a joyous experience. We much prefer it to the troubles we had with drinking.
One more note: anyone can get sober. We have done it lots of times. The trick is to stay and to live sober.
That is what this booklet is about.

Living Sober, Foreword

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“The basic purpose of prayer is not to bend God's will to mine, but to mold my will into His.” ~ Timothy Keller

bluidkiti 07-18-2021 04:44 AM

July 18

Prayer for Peace of Mind

Lord,
We ask you to give us all around peace in our mind, body, soul and spirit.
We want you to heal and remove everything that is causing stress, grief, and sorrow in our lives.

Please guide our path through life and make our enemies be at peace with us.
Let your peace reign in our family, at our place of work, businesses and everything we lay our hands on.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Once an alcoholic, always an alcoholic.

We always get worse, never better. We are never cured. Our alcoholism can only be arrested. No matter how long we have been sober, if we try liquor again, we're as bad or worse than we ever were. There is no exception to this rule in the whole history of A.A. We can never recapture the good times of the past. They are gone forever.

So ............

Will I try to recapture them?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Fun

Have some fun - with life, with the day.

Life is not drudgery; that is an old belief. Let go of it. We are on an adventure, a journey. Events will come to pass that we cannot now fathom.

Replace heaviness and weariness of spirit with joy. Surround yourself with people and things that bring lightness of spirit.

Become sensitive to lightness of spirit.

The journey can be an exciting adventure. Let yourself enjoy it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Service

Life will take on a new meaning. To watch people recover, to see them help others, to watch loneliness vanish, to see a fellowship grow up about you. to have a host of friends - this is an experience you must not miss. . . . Frequent contact with newcomers and with each other is the bright spot of our lives.

Alcoholics Anonymous Page 89

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"We tend to forget that happiness doesn't come as a result of getting something we don't have, but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have." ~ Frederick Keonig

Lin 07-18-2021 05:45 AM

Awesome readings here! I really love all of the quotes at the bottom of each post!

LIN

willbe275 07-19-2021 12:26 AM

Lin, it's great to have someone else beside me enjoying
These Prayer & some thoughts, I also enjoy the was they
Put the quotes at the end. God bless you and have a great week
One day at a time.

bluidkiti 07-19-2021 04:11 AM

July 19

Prayer When Confused

Lord,
I come before you today with my mind swirling with different thoughts and feelings.
I have a hard decision make and I just don't know what to do.
I feel helpless and confused.
I'm worried about the consequences to my decision.
I worry about the impact my decision will have not only on myself but on others as well.
To be honest, I fear making the wrong decision.
Lord, please lead me to make the right decision that will reflect your will.
Amen

~ Christina Fox

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

When we finally hit bottom,

We did not have to be financially broke, although many of us were. But we were spiritually bankrupt. We had a soul sickness, a revulsion against ourselves and against our way of living. Life had become impossible for us. We had to end it all or do something about it.

So ............

Am I glad I did something about it?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Tough Times

We are all capable of far more than we think we are. It's in the tough times, however, that we discover the depths of our strength, and it's then that we know that some power has enabled us to do what we thought we could not. Whatever we call that power, it is there for us when we need it.

To do what seems impossible, all we need to do is ask for the help we think we need. And we can look within, too, and summon our whole selves to the task at hand. With all that going for us, how can we fail? And when the tough work is over, we'll look back and know we've grown from the experience. And yes, our statutes will have touched the skies.

When I am faced with a tough task, how do I respond?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Only One Reason

I believe we are all sober and alive for only one reason: God has a job for us to do.
I have also come to believe that I must please God first, myself second, and everybody else third. When I can live and feel that way -- and it isn't all day every day -- things seem to work out. When I try to run the show, everything goes to hell.

Came to Believe Page 97

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"I will have the courage to make a mistake today. It's a promise of growth." ~ Ken Casey

willbe275 07-19-2021 10:27 AM

It's alright to make mistakes, it is the gateway to
learning from them. Thank you God for the lessons
From making mistakes, and correcting us on the way.
Amen.

bluidkiti 07-20-2021 03:19 AM

July 20

Good Morning Lord Prayer

Good morning, Lord!
Today's a new day, a chance for a new start.
Yesterday is gone and with it any regrets, mistakes, or failures I may have experienced.
It's a good day to be glad and give thanks, and I do, Lord.
Thank you for today, a new opportunity to love, give, and be all that you want me to be.
Amen

~ Rebecca Barlow Jordan

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

We alcoholics have to believe in some Power greater than ourselves.

Yes, we have to believe in God. Not to believe in a Higher Power can drive us to atheism. Atheism, it has been said before, is blind faith in the strange proposition that this universe originated in a cipher and aimlessly rushes nowhere. That's extremely hard to believe. So we turn to that Divine Principle in the universe that we call God.

So ............

Have I stopped trying to run my own life?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Today

I do not have to have courage for a lifetime, just for the moment. I am helped by the philosophy that teaches me to live one day at a time, one hour at a time, one moment at a time. It is too awesome to try to live my tomorrows today. Life is a process to be lived not a future to be anticipated.

For years I tried to anticipate what life had to throw at me, and I always came away confused, surprised and exhausted. I missed the joy of the moment by worrying about the future. What was he going to do? What happens if the police get involved? Will my mother telephone next week? Will my niece grow up to be alcoholic? Am I to blame? I had a thousand questions that I could not answer; nobody can answer for the future today.

I can only take responsibility for my life a day at a time. I developed the courage to face the moment and I became a winner.

May I avoid the temptation to seek the fantasy of tomorrow for the reality of today.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We Need Help

If we are fooling ourselves, a competent adviser can see this quickly. And, as he skillfully guides us away from our fantasies, we are surprised to find that we have few of the usual urges to defend ourselves against unpleasant truths. In no other way can fear, pride, and ignorance be so readily melted. After a time, we realize that we are standing firm on a brand-new foundation for integrity, and we gratefully credit our sponsors, whose advice pointed the way.

As Bill Sees It Page 248

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"God, grant me the patience with changes that take time, appreciation of all that I have, tolerance of those with different struggles, and the strength to get up and try again, one day at a time." ~ Reinhold Niebuhr

bluidkiti 07-21-2021 04:12 AM

July 21

This Day’s Morning Prayer

Lord,
I have so many concerns and cares, and they weigh me down.
While I desire to cast my cares upon You, I find I usually pick them back up again, and they only add more anxiety and stress.
Please help me learn to cast my cares on You as I learn what it means to rest and trust in You.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

When we came into A.A., we made a tremendous discovery.

We found that we were sick persons rather than moral lepers. We were not as unique as we thought we were. We found other people who had the same illness that we had, who had been through the same experiences that we had been through. They had recovered. If they could do it, we could do it.

So ............

Was hope born in me the day I walked into A.A.?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Finding God

God is to be found in the principles of life. The suggested patterns of behavior that lead to happiness, freedom and unity in the world. God is not just a "good idea", an intellectual philosophy or other worldly entity. God is practical goodness that can be demonstrated and seen in the world. Principles lead to action; principles produce change in attitude and behavior; principles must have a practical result.

Sometimes you hear the phrase "walk the talk", implying that the principles we talk about should be evident in our daily lives. Also principles should be seen in the small things of life being courteous, giving a smile to a stranger, offering a hug to a friend in pain. God is alive in the principles of life.

Help me to practice the principles I believe in.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Carrying the Message

Alcoholics simply will not listen to a paid twelfth-stepper. Almost from the beginning, we have been positive that face-to-face work with the alcoholic who suffers could be based only on the desire to help and be helped.
When an AA talks for money, whether at a meeting or to a single newcomer, it can have a very bad effect on him, too. The money motive compromises him and everything he says and does for his prospect. This has always been so obvious that only a very few AA's have ever worked the Twelfth Step for a fee.

Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions Page 166

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“Don’t let the BEHAVIOR of others destroy your inner peace.” ~ Dalai Lama

bluidkiti 07-22-2021 05:12 AM

July 22

Prayer When in Pain or Suffering

There are times, Lord, when I feel a deep sense of unrest.
Trials and tribulations beset me, and I do not know where to turn.
I cannot see the reason why suffering must exist, but I trust in your plan.
I pray that you will guide me in all ways and help me to make the best of the situation.
Help me to find happiness in small things.
I pray that you bring me the peace and joy that I seek in life.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

In A.A. we have to re-educate our minds.

We have to learn to think differently. We have to take a long view of drinking alcohol instead of a short view. We have to look through the glass to see what lies beyond it. We have to look through the night before to the morning after. No matter how good alcohol looks from the short view, we must realize that in the long run it is poison to us.

So ............

Have I learned to look beyond the bottle, to the better life that lies ahead?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Process of Growth

Be patient with yourself. It takes time to work out issues, to work through things. It takes time to learn lessons. The more important the lesson, the longer the cycle to work it out and work it through.

We may live in a technical age, but our souls aren’t technical. They’re still connected to nature. We grow and change as nature does. Learn her ways. Study her seasons and cycles, and know those same seasons and cycles are in each of us. The process of change is like planting a seed and watching it grow and bloom into a flower.

What are you trying to develop? A project? A change in yourself? Is there something new you’re learning, trying to do? Are you trying to adjust to a major change in your life? Is there an old habit you’re struggling to let go of? A love relationship or friendship you’re hoping to begin or attempting to end?

Each stage of the process of growth and change is important. From those first moments when we see the idea, or the change begins, to those long moments of nurturing and nourishing the idea, each stage counts. Is there a change in your life that’s begun, one you’ve started to notice? Are you thinking about it a lot, talking about it a lot, but not quite ready to take action? That stage is important too. You’re nurturing and nourishing the seeds of change.

It takes time for nature to change things into what they’re becoming. It takes time for things to develop. Be patient with yourself and life. Trust the process of growth.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Twelve Steps

I often say and shall always say that the Twelve Steps are one of the very great summaries and organic collections of spiritual truth known to history.
They have an almost universal relevance (not a relevance for alcoholics alone).
They will offer a way out for many a person who knows nothing personally of alcoholism.
They will point up the way for those who have known it and lost it.
Thank God for the Twelve Steps and for a man wise enough and open enough to God and to the observation of human experience to receive these truths, and transmit them to the world!
(Rev. Samuel M. Shoemaker)

The Best of the Grapevine [Vol. 2], pages 133-134

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Few Quotes

“Emotional baggage is like the dead skin of a snake. If you don’t shed it, how can you grow emotionally?” ~ Khang Kijarro ******

"Healing takes courage, and we all have courage, even if we have to dig a little to find it." ~ Tori Amos

bluidkiti 07-23-2021 05:23 AM

July 23

Morning Prayer

Lord,
As the sun rises, may your hope rise up in me.
As the birds sing, let your love flow out of me.
As the light floods into this new day, may your joy shine through me.
I come before you, Lord and drink in this moment of peace,
That I may carry something of your hope, love, and joy today in my heart.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

In A.A. we have to learn that alcohol is our greatest enemy.

Although we used to think that alcohol was our friend, the time came when it turned against us and became our enemy. We don't know just when this happened, but we know that it did because we began to get into trouble - jails and hospitals. We realize now that alcohol is our enemy.

So ............

Is it still my main business to keep sober?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Overcoming Fear

Our fears lock us up if we let them. They can prevent us from tasting adventure, from experiencing new wonders. We are often terrified of the unknown and fret about what might happen if we try something new. We worry if new people will like us - if we'll fit in.

It is natural to be cautious about the unknown, and anything new is just that. But we can keep our caution from becoming fearful by taking action, with the faith that we never encounter anything we can't handle in some way.

Unknowns are merely joys we haven't met. We hold the keys to our own cages and can free ourselves when we use our courage and inner strength to overcome our fears.

What new joy can I discover beneath my fear today?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After the "Honeymoon"

For most of us, the first years of A.A. are something like a honeymoon. There is a new and potent reason to stay alive, joyful activity aplenty. For a time, we are diverted from the main life problems. That is all to the good.

"But when the honeymoon has worn off, we are obliged to take our lumps, like other people. This is where the testing starts. Maybe the group has pushed us onto the side lines. Maybe difficulties have intensified at home, or in the world outside. Then the old behavior patterns reappear. How well we recognize and deal with them reveals the extent of our progress.

As Bill Sees It Page 216

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"Life is short, and we have never too much time for gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us. Oh, be swift to love, make haste to be kind." --Henri Frederic Amiel

bluidkiti 07-24-2021 04:40 AM

July 24

Humility Prayer

Lord,
I am far too much influenced by what people think of me.
Which means that I am always pretending to be either richer or smarter or nicer than I really am.
Please prevent me from trying to attract attention.
Don’t let me gloat over praise on the one hand or be discouraged by criticism on the other.
Nor let me waste time weaving imaginary situations in which the most heroic, charming, witty person present is myself.
Show me how to be humble of heart like You.

From Cleveland A.A. (https://www.aacle.org/humility-prayer/)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

We have fellowship and faith in A.A.

Fellowship is wonderful, but its wonder lasts just so long. Then some gossip, disillusionment, and boredom may come in. Worry and fear come back at times and we find that fellowship is not the whole story. Then we need faith. When we're alone, with nobody to pat us on the back, we must turn to God for help.

So ............

Can I say "Thy will be done" - and mean it?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Fear

Fear is a killer. It stops the God-given spirituality in our lives from taking shape and making life enjoyable. Fear is connected with doubt - doubt of self. Low self-esteem develops along with fear and in order for confidence to develop, the fear must be faced, confronted and talked about.

Fear is not going to go away because we wish it away or hope it sway or even pray it away. Fear needs to be identified, located and seen for what it is - or, as in most cases, what it isn't. Fear of people, things, tomorrow or life itself grows so long as we forge that we are creatures of God. There is nothing that cannot be faced or overcome - as long as we remain alcohol-free. God is on our side - but we need also to be on our side. Fear is never stronger than our spirituality. We need to bring our fear into the light; then it can be overcome.

I ask to stay in the light of sobriety, not the darkness of alcoholism.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Miracles

How can they rise out of such misery, bad repute and hopelessness?
The practical answer is that since these things have happened among us, they can happen with you.
Should you wish them above all else, and be willing to make use of our experience, we are sure they will come. The age of miracles is still with us. Our own recovery proves that!

Alcoholics Anonymous Page 153

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"Do I realize that our common purpose can outweigh all differences?" ~ Lina Sandell

bluidkiti 07-25-2021 04:24 AM

July 25

Morning Request for Strength

Lord,
I give you this day, may your spirit be at work in me.
Clear the mix of dreams and thoughts from my mind and help me to embrace everything that you have for me today.
I give you the mental and physical tiredness I can feel and ask for your life to flow though me.
May your hope stir in those who are close to me and bring joy into their hearts.
May your love cause me to find new energy, ideas and solutions throughout the day.
And may your truth allow me to stay on track and walk confidently in all that I do.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

While alcoholics keep strictly away from drinking alcohol, they still react to life much like other people.

But the first drink sets the terrible cycle in motion. Alcoholics usually have no idea why they take the first drink. Some drinkers have excuses with which they are satisfied, but in their hearts they really do not know why they do it. The truth is that at some point in their drinking they have passed into a state where the most powerful desire to stop drinking is of no avail.

So ............

Am I satisfied that I have passed my tolerance point for alcohol?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation.

Going With The Flow

It seems like some days everything goes our way. Everything falls together in a way that makes life easier for us. Other days are just the opposite; on a bad day we seem to be all thumbs. In our spiritual practice we know we don't control all that goes on around us.

We all are vulnerable to accidents, random misfortune, and illness. Yet, when we don't fight against the events of our lives, somehow things go better for us. We can remember that as difficult as a day may be, we are never alone because nothing can separate us from our Higher Power. When we accept the bad things that come, even though they are unfair, we give them less power in our lives. Then we are free to go forward and leave more room for the good things.

I'll accept the problems I must confront and leave room for the good things.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Solitude

In solitude, we take our inventories.
In solitude, we admit to ourselves the exact nature of our wrongs.
In solitude, our spirits seek that Power greater than we are; in solitude, we seek through prayer and meditation to be aware of God's will for us. . .
We are alone, but not lonely.

Came To Believe Page 109

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"Don't talk about what you have done or what you are going to do --do it and let it speak for itself." --Martin Vanbee

willbe275 07-25-2021 02:55 PM

Easy does it, but do it... It can be done one day at a time.

bluidkiti 07-26-2021 04:33 AM

July 26

Simple Morning Prayer

God,
Please enlighten my mind with truth, inflame my heart with love.
Inspire my will with courage, enrich my life with service.
Pardon what I have been, sanctify what I am, and order what I shall be.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

We in A.A. have the privilege of living two lives in one lifetime.

One life of drunkenness, failure, and defeat. Then, through A.A., another life of sobriety, peace of mind, and usefulness. We who have recovered our sobriety are modern miracles. And we're living on borrowed time. Some of us might have been dead long ago. But we have been given another chance to live.

So ............

Do I owe a debt of gratitude to A.A. that I can never repay as long as I live?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Self Acceptance

As an alcoholic I could not tolerate my own company for long. I was forever telephoning somebody, going over to a friend's house, inviting people in, creating an "occasion" so I did not have to think or, at least, think about myself. Being alone terrified me. I was terrified because I would begin to think about what was happening in my life and I did not want to face it.

Spirituality is reality. Some years ago I decided to encounter the "real" me, painful but necessary. I began to develop an awareness of who I am. Acceptance followed: I am an alcoholic.

Today I know me; today I like me; today I can love me - and this awareness brings with it a knowledge of God, self and my neighbor.

Today I can be alone without feeling lonely.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Changing

I am changing, and there are more like me starting this process every day, so AA must be changing.
Yet the process and direction in which we are moving is the same. The more it changes, the more it stays the same. . .
This Fellowship is like a diamond whose message flashes toward me every time I hold it up to the light and turn it around.

Thank You For Sharing, p. 182

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“You have to accept the fact that sometimes you are the pigeon, and sometimes you are the statue.” ~ Claude Chabrol