Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums

Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/index.php)
-   Daily Spiritual Meditations (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Loved by God (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2647)

bluidkiti 02-03-2014 08:45 AM

Loved by God

Loved by God Part 1 - God Loves You

by Gail Rodgers
“God, they say you love us, but do you really mean me?”

“God loves you!” We hear it from time to time. Sometimes it is offered as somewhat of a bandaid to a difficult problem we face. Sometimes it’s on a billboard or on a grandmother’s lips. But does it really make much difference if He does or if He doesn’t? And if God really does love me, does it actually affect me where I live and walk today? Does God’s love matter in any practical way to me?
Most of us have no trouble believing in a higher power. Nearly every 10-step help program acknowledges the need of it. Most people say, “Yes” when asked if they believe in God, but that’s often about as far as it goes. Little rituals, memorized prayers, desperate pleas for God to get us out of the scrapes we get ourselves into, seems to be the extent most of us know God.
Yet His Word, the Holy Bible, tells of a very loving God who longs to be in relationship with us. The Father’s heart, to us, His children, is tender. His arms are open and His invitation is “Come”.
“Come to me all you who are heavy burdened and I will give you rest…for your souls”. Matthew 28 & 29
Sometimes we cannot hear His call to “come”. Sometimes our filters are clogged with the sad truth that our own father may not have provided a good example of loving us. Sometimes we do not believe His love could be for us as an individual. Oh, we know others whom God could surely love, but me? “No”, we think, “not if He really knew me.”
There are times in our lives when God calls our name. He asks us not to harden our hearts to Him, but to respond and to come.
“God loves you” is a deeply profound statement that will change your life if you will let it. Dare to explore with me the depth of this love. Dare to turn your head and hear Him calling your name. You will never be sorry.

bluidkiti 02-04-2014 09:58 AM

Loved by God Part 02 - I Don't Deserve It

by Gail Rodgers
A tear glistened in the corner of her eye. She had never been told God’s love was for her personally.

Oh how she wanted to believe God loved her. But she felt she had no right to ask Him anything. She had never acknowledged Him before. And life had been hard. Choices of others and her own choices had left deep pain and scars on her heart. Oh, very few knew and she held it all together in an amazing way. But she knew it was often by a thin thread… and she longed to feel that love and acceptance by God; that peace. But she felt so undeserving… so separated from His love. She didn’t know God’s Word, the Bible, actually addressed that very feeling. It told her that nothing could separate her from God’s love. It was for her too!!
“Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.” Romans 8:39
Do you feel separated from God’s love? No matter what has happened in your life up to this moment, remember that there is no dimension, no action, no power, no place out of His reach; there is nothing that is a barrier to God’s love for you. Believe it. It is the first step to understanding who you really are. It is the first step to hope and to healing. Believe it! Hear Him call your name!
prayer & reflection

Father in Heaven,
Thank you that you love me! Thank you that you have seen my life from the beginning to this very moment and there is nothing hidden from you. Through all the good days and all the bad days you have been there, loving me and waiting for me to accept your love. No matter how unworthy I feel today, help me to believe that nothing separates me from your love. Help me to grow in understanding your love and learn to accept myself as loved by You! Teach me to see myself as you see me!
In Jesus name I pray, Amen.

bluidkiti 02-05-2014 11:44 AM

Loved by God Part 3 - The Hole in the Fence

by Gail Rodgers
Peering through the hole in the fence, the little girl watched what she could of the exciting game. She had always longed to play herself! She imagined herself inside and strained to see as much of the field as she could from her limited view point. Suddenly someone tapped her on the shoulder… “Would you like to go in? Here, I’ve paid your way”. A woman with a kind face handed the little girl a ticket. The girl could hardly believe it as she walked through the gate and the sights and sounds surrounded her.

Often we see others enjoying a relationship with God but just don’t know how to experience it for ourselves. We linger outside. Often deceived by our own thinking.
Sometimes we focus on our own circumstances and we blame God for all the things that have gone wrong. We keep focused on ourselves. Sometimes we keep God at such a respectable distance that He is untouchable. Sometimes we realize our lack of virtue and simply think it can’t be for us. Lots of reasons can leave us peering longingly through the hole in the fence, outside of God’s presence. Once you believe His love is real and personal you can move from being a longing spectator right into His presence as His treasured child.
The ticket was bought for you when Jesus died on the cross. You simply need to believe you are invited because the price has been paid. Paid out of love for you! Don’t focus on you… focus on God and His forgiveness and His open arms. Simply say, “I’m sorry God, I’ve messed up. Please forgive me.” This is taking the ticket in your hand and entering the gate. Then He cleanses, He renews, and He begins to rebuild.
“If we confess our sin, He is faithful and just and will forgive our sin and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” 1John 1:9
Release your life and all your mistakes to God. Release your sin to Him. Answer the longing in your heart and know that you qualify to enter into a relationship with God… not because of you… but because of Him!
prayer & reflection

Dear Heavenly Father,
I need you. I’m sorry for going my own way. Please forgive me. I don’t want to peer through the hole in the fence any longer. Thank you that you accept me right here, just as I am. Please begin your work of renewing and rebuilding in my life.

bluidkiti 02-06-2014 10:07 AM

Loved by God Part 4 - Better Than You Know Yourself

by Gail Rodgers
“No one understands”, Katie thought as she struggled with feeling so alone in her decision. Everyone had advice about what she should do.

There were so many opinions. But no one understood the depth of the issue. An isolated feeling of loneliness crept into her soul. Did God even understand? Doubts of her belief in God’s love began to crowd her thinking. “God, show me that you are here,” she called out in despair.
That night she picked up her Bible before turning out the light… would she find hope? Her little daily reading book told her to read Psalm 139. Her fingers flipped through the pages and her eyes fell on these verses.
“O Lord, you have searched me and you know me.
You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar.
You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways.
Before a word is on my tongue you know it completely, O Lord. You hem me in – behind and before; you have laid your hand upon me. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain. Where can I go from your spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me; your right hand will hold me fast… For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb.” Psalm 139
Katie felt like fresh water was poured over her parched soul. Yes, God cared. Yes, God understood her in a way no one ever could.
God is familiar with your whole situation and He promised to hold you fast! He knows you!. When you were conceived God’s knitting needles went to work creating you in your inmost being. Yes, you can trust Him to guide you through whatever you face today. He understands.
prayer & reflection

Heavenly Father,
Thank you for this knowledge that you care so deeply and know me so intimately. I will trust your knowledge of me and your hand to guide me. Give me your wisdom today. Hold on to me in my spinning world. Thank you for understanding me. You know me better than I know myself. Thank you for this comfort. Thank you that you are my trustworthy Father! I choose to trust you in my circumstances today!
In Jesus Name, Amen.

bluidkiti 02-07-2014 11:09 AM

Loved by God Part 5 - God's Workmanship

by Gail Rodgers
“Have you ever thought of yourself as God’s Workmanship?”

The cutting words of her co-worker were hurtful and only contained half truths. What she said in front of the whole office was such a misrepresentation of the facts that Shirley actually felt ill. She was humiliated. She knew that simply having words said out loud about her did not make them true. But she had not counted on how insecure the incident left her. She knew office gossip was malicious at times but this was the first time she took the brunt of it… and it hurt. Usually strong and self confident, Shirley found herself shaken and feeling small. Her heart cried out to God with the injustice. And he answered the cry of her hurting heart…
“For we are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.” Ephesians 2:10
“Wow!” she thought as she re-read the words and re-lived her day. Regardless of any gossip God was reassuring her. She was his workmanship. Created and designed by the Father to do things… good things… things that God already had planned out for her to do! The unsettled feeling of the day began to lift. She would go to work tomorrow as God’s workmanship, head held high. Her life itself would refute the distorted half truths. She would seek to do the things God had planned for her. She would watch for them and be available. Yes, she would call on him throughout the day to help her react in a manner fitting of God’s workmanship.
“God’s workmanship”! That’s you! His strength will carry you! He will walk beside you into your today with all its challenges. He will fulfill you with deeds planned for you. Ask him to show you one small thing to do for him today. Others will try to define “who” you are by their words and their actions toward you, but know “whose” you are and let your confidence soar at the thought!
prayer & reflection

Dear Heavenly Father,
Thank you for the reassurance that I am your workmanship. You, the God of the universe, have a stake in my future! Wow! You have things prepared for me to do because you know best who I am and what will fulfill me. Thank you that I am yours! Help me walk today in the confidence of knowing you have a purpose for me and you will guide and help me.

bluidkiti 02-08-2014 10:18 AM

Loved by God Part 6 - Free Forever

by Gail Rodgers
It never seemed to be far from her mind. Though the years had passed the guilt had not. It had never become public knowledge and for that she was grateful. But the feeling of shame clung.

Oh yes, she understood God loved her and had even forgiven her. But condemnation often crept into her thoughts so unexpectedly. Would she never be free of it even though she knew Jesus?
The verse leapt off the page. Could this be true… for her? She read it over.
“Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death.” Romans 8:1
Yes! All of a sudden it made new sense to her. She was God’s child. She had accepted Jesus forgiveness. There was no longer any condemnation for her! This verse told her that through Jesus she was set free! She underlined it in her Bible. The next time guilt threatened to overtake her and drag her down, she turned to the underlined words and breathed a prayer of thankfulness that condemnation was no longer a part of her identity.
Jesus has forgiven you and you can finally let go of the self condemnation that has held you too long. He has set you free! Whenever the doubts nibble at the edge of your mind, say out loud this verse of God’s promise.
prayer & reflection

Father God,
You have forgiven my past. Thank you. I release to you the condemnation that I so often dwell on in my own soul. Thank you that condemnation is not a part of my identity as a follower of Jesus. Thank you that through you I am set free! Please help me to set my mind on the amazing truth of your word and live in the victory you have given me.
In the name of Jesus, Amen.

bluidkiti 02-09-2014 12:43 PM

Loved by God Part 7 - Beyond Your Wildest Dreams

by Gail Rodgers
They were separated. The rift was huge. She began to make plans as to how she would support herself. He went his way. That would have been the end of the story… but for God.

She had friends who prayed with her. Weekly they met and sought the help and wisdom of God for their friend in distress. Daily she asked God to give her insight that she did not have. Daily she asked God for a smile on her face for her little one. Sometimes hourly she cried out to God to stabilize her shaky body and mind. And God met her needs. Throughout the storm He was her anchor. Oh the tears flowed through some sleepless nights… but God was her strength. Little by little, time and again he led her to a resource, an insight, an encouragement.
“Now to him (Jesus) who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever. Amen. Ephesians 3:20
More than just surviving! More than just getting by! More than just hanging in there! God was giving her strength, wisdom and insight. He was holding her through the storm. There were tears and it was hard. But the peace that held her heart was an anchor for her soul. Yes, God’s power at work gave her more than she could imagine!
Believe God today for more than you can even imagine in whatever situation tears at your heart. If you are facing a challenge or even a crisis, invite Jesus to be at work in power in your situation. Get help from praying friends to seek God and focus on Him. Ask for increased faith and watch with expectancy. God’s love and encouragement can lift you up when you don’t even think it’s possible! And when you look back on your journey and see how he has anchored your soul… give him the glory!
prayer & reflection

Father God,
As your child you offer me so much more than I can ever imagine. Your power at work within me is an amazing miracle. Help me to connect with those who will encourage me to cling to you in the storms of my life. Forgive my lack of faith and give me a tenacity of faith to look for you, to be amazed by you and to give you the glory when the horizon clears and I see how far you have brought me.
In Jesus strong name I pray, Amen.

bluidkiti 02-10-2014 10:32 AM

Loved by God Part 8 - Lavish Love

by Gail Rodgers
Life had taken a few turns. Unexpected losses had quietly stacked up until she felt that her God must be on vacation somewhere else. Others seemed to be receiving blessing from God but she felt short changed these days.

She began to feel that she had moved from under God’s wing to under God’s thumb… and quite subtly her view of God began to change. She hardly noticed it was happening. And her Bible sat more often on the shelf.
Then she heard a verse from the Bible… on a random snatch of a radio program while she was driving. God wanted her attention and the verse hit home in her heart.
“How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!” I John 3:1
The word “lavished” caught her imagination. Suddenly she realized that she had begun to doubt God’s love and his goodness toward her. A God that lavishes his love on his children is not a God who wants to pin you under his thumb! He is a God that can be counted on to lovingly take us through this journey of life. A God that lavishes us with his love is a God that can be trusted to guide us on our way and to nudge us back on track when we wander.
If your life has some unexpected bumps these day, don’t doubt God’s love and care for you. He will lovingly bring his principles of living to your attention so you can correct your course when necessary. His love will lead you to the very best for your life if you trust him through the fog. Knowing he lavishes you with his love will keep your heart soft and your heart attitude looking for his goodness. Doubting the goodness of God toward you can harden your heart and move you in a direction that will tempt you to live life according to your own wisdom…wisdom that will always be less than God’s wisdom for you.
prayer & reflection

Dear Heavenly Father,
You know how easy it is for me to doubt you when I can’t see the path ahead of me clearly. Forgive me for letting my heart doubt you. Forgive me for my impatient nature. Thank you for reminding me that your love for me is so great and that I am your child. Show me the attitudes or actions that I have slipped into that don’t please you. I choose today to trust your goodness toward me. Give me assurance in my heart that you are at work in my circumstances. By faith I will trust you to guide me in what to do. Thank you Father.
I ask this in the name of Jesus, Amen.

bluidkiti 02-11-2014 10:57 AM

Loved by God Part 9 - Light Dispels Darkness

by Gail Rodgers
The negative talk was so easy to enter into too. Criticism came easily. Shirley was uncomfortable with it at first but now it just seemed the norm. It was so easy to just join in and add her two cents worth of negativity too. Then last Sunday she heard the pastor say that as a Christian, she was the light of the world! Now that was something to ponder! Whatever did that mean for her in her situation? She read the passage of scripture he had given…

“You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.” Matthew 5:14-16
Shirley realized something that was new to her…she was to let the light of Jesus love shine through her to those around her so that God would be revealed. In plain, Monday morning language she knew that meant she was to speak differently. Where negativity was the norm Shirley realized she was to bring light into that conversation and speak positive words that built up. She could bring a change where the shadows of darkness lurked. A light… yes a light that she had kept hidden… until today!
Do you find yourself participating in situations that drag people down by words or actions? Ask God to help you bring light into those places. Be sensitive to when His Spirit nudges you to say a kind word or counter the negative with the positive. Your attitudes and actions as well as your words can be used by God to push back the darkness that surrounds us where we live. You are a light!
prayer & reflection

Father in Heaven,
Thank you that you have declared me to be a light in this world. There is so much darkness in conversations, attitudes and situations all around me. Please give me wisdom by the power of your Holy Spirit to be what you say I am… a light. Help me to speak works that build up and to show attitudes and actions that will make a difference in the dark. Show me ways today to be your light!

bluidkiti 02-12-2014 11:49 AM

Loved by God Part 10 - Never Alone

by Gail Rodgers
Susan would never have believed she could feel so lonely. The recent turn of events in her life left her feeling isolated and so alone!

Oh there were lots of faces to say a cheery “Good morning” too in the halls at work. But her soul longed for a friend. Someone to understand and share her journey with as she experienced these new changes and faced the loss she was feeling. She knew she was God’s child… but she did not understand why the loneliness was almost suffocating her. Each night she read her Bible before going to sleep. Tonight the words nearly flow off the page…
“Jesus said, “I no longer call you servants… Instead I have called you friends”. John 15:15
She let the words sink in for a few minutes. God had sent Jesus to be not only her Savior, but also her friend… and she could sure use a friend now! “Oh Jesus”, her heart cried out, “I need your friendship right now. Thank you that you see me as a friend. And she began to pour out the pain and the loneliness of her soul to him. As she turned out the light and talked long into the dark to her Friend, a comfort settled over her soul, the comfort of the Holy Spirit. The verse she had learned at her ladies Bible study last winter played in her mind as sleep came:
“Casting all your care on Him for He cares for you.” I Peter 5:7
Do you experience loneliness in the depths of your soul? Jesus calls himself your friend. Talk to him, pour your heart out to him, and ask for his strength and his wisdom. Invite him into every situation and decision and your life will take on a fullness that you never knew was possible. He will be true to his word. He calls you “Friend”!
prayer & reflection

Dear Father in Heaven,
Thank you for sending Jesus to be my Friend and my Savior. Help me today to remember that He is with me in every step I take. Help me to invite him into every decision and situation I face today. Please take the deep loneliness of my soul and comfort me with your Holy Spirit. Help me to grow today in my relationship with you and in trusting you to be my Friend.
Amen.

bluidkiti 02-13-2014 12:20 PM

Loved by God Part 11 - Forgiven

by Gail Rodgers
She simply could not believe it. God could forgive her? If they really knew the truth about her life, she thought, they surly would not tell her that God was waiting for her with open arms!

Sometimes she wanted to run and hide from God. She felt she had blown it just too many times and in too many ways. But forgiveness sounded so refreshing! Her heart longed for it! Could it be possible for her?... Yes… she decided she would believe that God meant her. “I guess that’s faith” she thought with surprise. Faith had become only a distant memory in her heart. But she reached for God. And she prayed, laying it all out before Him, nothing hidden. With tears streaming down her face she confessed the mess her life was in and drank in forgiveness…It was a new day!
“If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” 1 John 1:9
When we confess to God the ways in which we have blown it in life, the ways we have hurt and disappointed ourselves, others and God, He reaches out His hand and takes us on a journey of healing.
Forgiveness cleanses us in such a refreshing way, yet often the consequences of our old choices remain a real challenge. When you wake up on a Monday morning with the consequences of your old ways staring you in the face, God is there to walk with you. He not only forgives…He offers us the riches of His grace to walk where we walk and He promises to help.
“He redeems your life from the pit and crowns you with love and compassion.” Psalm 103:4
prayer & reflection

Dear Heavenly Father,
I confess my sin to you and I thank you for forgiving me. Thank you that your cleansing is a sure thing. And Father, thank you that you not only forgive my past but you promise to buy back my life and fill me with your love and your compassion. Increase my faith today, Lord. When the thoughts of the past come back to me, help me to stand firm on the knowledge of your forgiving love. Please help me when I am tempted to fall back into old patterns. May I daily trust your compassionate help to keep moving forward in my journey with You. Remind me daily to keep my heart focused on You and to quickly accept Your forgiveness for my failings. For it is in You that I know there is hope and help and healing. Thank you Father!

bluidkiti 02-14-2014 11:23 AM

Loved by God Part 12 - For Your Own Sake

by Gail Rodgers
Susanna knew she should forgive. But the hurt and the anger still hung on in the deep corners of her heart. It went against her sense of justice and she secretly wished to see some kind of revenge. She somehow felt that if she forgave it was defeat.

Susanna couldn’t have been more wrong. As long as she held unforgiveness in her heart the hurting continued. The bitterness grew. She knew bitterness was creeping into her heart and she felt powerless over it.
Forgiveness is a choice. It is a choice you make for yourself. You don’t just forgive for someone else’s sake; you do it for your own sake. It is the only way to be free of the anger in the depth of your heart and the bitterness that is birthed from the betrayal.
When we hold unforgiveness in our heart it goes completely against God’s advice to us. He knows how we work because He made us. To take His word to heart is the road to healing.
“Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God’s wrath, for it is written, “It is mine to avenge, I will repay”, says the Lord.” Romans 12:19
If you have been wronged and it is hanging on and dragging your spirit down, acknowledge the hurt and the hate. Then make a choice to let the offending person off your hook. Release the situation to God’s care and know that they are not off God’s hook and He will deal fairly with them because He has promised you He will. Leave God to be the bill collector.
You will find a new freedom in your soul. Anger that is not dealt with brings poison into your soul and gives the enemy of your soul a foothold. God doesn’t tell us to never be angry. He does tell us to deal with our anger so it will not poison our soul. (Eph.4:26/27)
We often have to live with the consequence of the other person’s action against us whether we want to or not. But we choose whether we will do it in the downward spiral of bitterness or in the forward journey of forgiveness.
prayer & reflection

Dear Father in Heaven,
Today I acknowledge I have let anger come into my heart and stay there. Father God I feel the ugliness of bitterness growing in my spirit and I don’t want it there. I want to be free. Please help me to face what has happened and to release my desire to see revenge. Help me to be wise in dealing with the consequences of this action against me. I choose not to hang on to bitterness and anger. I choose to be filled with your Holy Spirit. Today I choose forgiveness. Father please heal the “feelings” in my heart as well.
In the name of Jesus I pray, Amen.

bluidkiti 02-15-2014 10:11 AM

Loved by God Part 13 - Freedom from Shame

by Gail Rodgers
It was the first day of spring and we were horseback riding. Snow and spring ice still scattered the landscape. My horse decided he did not want a rider and he suddenly reared up on his hind legs. The spring ice was not a good spot for such a balancing act and over he went with me under him! I still marvel that I was not crushed to death!

I seldom think of that frightening afternoon anymore. But every now and then the memory is refreshed on rare days when the old injury to my rib bothers me. A bump or bruise causes that old injury to remind me that it’s there.
The same happens with old injuries to our spirit. Things far distant in our past… harsh words, actions, or misjudged situations of long ago, often surprise us with fresh pain when an emotional bump or bruise comes unexpectedly.
Sharon shared with me how she had forgiven her father for the rejection she felt as a young girl. Her adult mind could now comprehend some of her father’s own pain and God’s love in her heart had made what seemed impossible, possible. She could forgive him for his actions and his harsh words.
But she continued to find herself in unhealthy relationships with men. Always living in fear of rejection, she found herself making compromises that left her disappointed in herself. She realized she felt shame in the depth of her soul and it was affecting her life far beyond the long ago words and actions of her father. She began to realize that she had believed lies about herself as a result of those words and actions. Then she read this promise from God’s Word and hope sprang afresh in her heart…
... being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.” Philippians 1:6
When God touches your life and begins a good work in you, He is committed to you. He promises to carry on the good work in your heart until it is completed. God can not only help you forgive, but He will continue on to help you root out the shame and the lies that keep you from being all God meant you to be.
prayer & reflection

Heavenly Father,
Thank you that you promise to continue to work in my heart. Thank you that you enable me to forgive harsh words and actions against me. Father God, I realize today that as a result of those words and actions I began to believe lies about myself. Lies that I was unlovable & undeserving of love. Father God, today I ask that you would help me to reject those lies and their resulting shame. Show me every place I have believed a lie about myself. I accept your love and your healing and I ask you to fill me with your Holy Spirit. Thank you that you will carry on to completion the healing of my heart.
In the strong name of Jesus I pray, Amen.

bluidkiti 02-16-2014 09:46 AM

Loved by God Part 14 - Habits that Hurt

by Gail Rodgers
Kelly loved pretty things. We all do. Just where it got out of hand she didn’t know. But the credit card bills were piling up and she was in trouble. Her stomach churned and she yelled at the kids. In short, she was a wreck worrying about how she would handle this full scale crisis.

Sure she was a Christian. She went to church when she could and read her Bible now and then. But God was reserved mostly for those “panic button” times of life. And this was one of them.
We all have tendencies that could be pushed to the limit. God actually warns us about such things. He calls them “lusts of the flesh”. We generally throw that word lust around in relation to sexual things. But God warns us that any desire of the flesh that becomes self serving will get us into trouble. He says these things will wage war against our soul.
“Abstain from fleshly lusts which war against your soul”. 1 Peter 2:11
You know you are on your way to being trapped by an unhealthy habit when you find yourself in the “sin-confess-sin-confess” cycle. Being caught in this cycle does dry up your spirit and your soul is troubled. “Fleshly lusts” are self serving and inward focused. Some of the “fleshly lusts” commonly found troubling lives and souls are constant complaining or criticizing, swearing, gossiping, needing to be in control, gambling, having a confrontational or divisive spirit, sexual sin, eating disorders, substance abuse, stealing.
If you are caught in any self serving desire that is bringing havoc to your life and troubling your soul, talk openly to God about it. Confess it to Him. Ask for His direction in seeking out the help of a friend or a counselor. God is the one who cautioned about such behaviors and He is the one who can help you begin that journey to break the cycle.
prayer & reflection

Dear Heavenly Father,
You know the cycle that has my life spinning right now. I confess to you my self serving desires that have the potential to wreck my life and my health and are troubling my soul. I ask for your forgiveness. Father, thank you for alerting me to the destruction this is causing in my life. I ask you to help me turn my focus upward toward you. Please be my guide on this journey to break this habit. Lead me to people who can help me and hold me accountable. Thank you for cleansing me. By the power of your Holy Spirit I choose to move toward wholeness and to be a good steward of the physical life you have given me.

bluidkiti 02-17-2014 12:27 PM

Loved by God Part 15 - Set Free by Truth

by Gail Rodgers
We had just moved into our new location and were still unpacking. The previous owners left a dog’s water dish on the step. But it wasn’t an ordinary dog dish, it was a great stainless steel bowl. So I rescued it, washed it up and put it in the cupboard.

Friday night we had the new neighbors in for supper. As we passed the food around the table my 6 year old innocently asked, “Mom, how come the potatoes are in the dog’s dish”. “That’s not the dog’s dish”, I quickly replied. But our eyes locked and we both knew it was indeed the dog’s dish and the potatoes were in it! Now, years later, those friends still tease me about that day!
Truth is a hard thing to admit at times. Truth means, of course, not telling lies… but it also goes so much deeper. Our lives revolve around what we believe about ourselves. And all too often what we believe is not truth at all.
We get used to deceiving ourselves. We can build structures of self defense in our minds that insolate us from truth. Sometimes we withdraw from people and offer a variety of excuses; we blame others and make excuses for our own poor behavior. “It’s not my fault” is a common line these days that can deceive us from owning our part in a conflict. Deception is subtle. But truth, when we face it, can free us.
When Susan asked God to reveal truth to her in her relationship she was surprised to finally realize she had a strong need to control. Her desire to have things predictable and organized got out of balance and was causing misery in her relationship.
Bob finally acknowledged that some of the pain in his childhood was causing him to build walls in his marriage. When he faced the truth and sought some counsel, he was able to work through it to find healing in his relationship with his wife.
God’s Word promises hope:
“Then you will know the truth and the truth will set you free.” John 8:31
“Jesus said, “I am the way, the truth and the life.” John 14:6
If you have a relationship that is causing concern, ask God to help you see truth in that relationship. His Word says that His Spirit will guide you into all truth. (John 16:13) Perhaps you have built structures of self defense that He can help you overcome. Sometimes a friend or counselor is helpful in the journey. Jesus is the one who can bring freedom into our lives. He is the one who can not only reveal truth and wrong thinking, but His power in us can bring lasting change.
prayer & reflection

Father God,
I realize that I sometimes deceive myself with wrong thinking and it causes trouble for me in my relationships. I ask for you to reveal truth to me. I ask you to set me free from wrong thinking and to give me the strength and the power to change. You are my hope! Guide me by your Holy Spirit in my journey to wholeness.
In Jesus name, Amen.