Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums

Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/index.php)
-   Daily Spiritual Meditations (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Daily Reprieve - November (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1409)

bluidkiti 11-14-2013 10:33 AM

November 15

NEVER APOLOGIZE

"My salvation and my honor depend on God; he is my mighty rock, my refuge." Psalm 62:7

"We never apologize to anyone for depending upon our Creator." Alcoholics Anonymous, page 68

For what it's worth: My dependence on alcohol was devastating and close to demanding even my life. Looking back, I believe there was no escape other than God's intervention. Despite cursing Him and spitting in His face, He demonstrated His merciful and unconditional love by rescuing me from my devilish addiction. He offered me a way where there had been no way to freedom from dependence on alcohol to dependence on Him through Alcoholics Anonymous. The Twelve Steps proved to be the road for me to travel into my Heavenly Father's arms. Every day I offer myself to my creator, depend on His guidance throughout the day, and never apologize for this dependency.

God bless you.
Joe W.

bluidkiti 11-14-2013 10:36 AM

November 16

MY FOUNDATION

"They are like a man building a house, who dug down deep and laid the foundation on rock. When a flood came, the torrent struck that house but could not shake it, because it was well built." Luke 6:48

"With all the earnestness at our command, we beg of you to be fearless and thorough from the very start." Alcoholics Anonymous, page 58

For what it's worth: Alcoholism slowly and painfully destroyed my spirit. I was drained of enthusiasm and determination when I walked into my first Alcoholics Anonymous meeting. I did, however, sense a Spirit among the people there. They were generous with their non-judgmental acceptance, empathy, and inspiration. They encouraged me "to be fearless and thorough from the very start". Actually, a bunch of the tricky drunks immediately took me under their wing and persistently involved me in all manner of service. This Spirit of theirs kept me coming back long enough to develop a solid sobriety and a Spirit of my own, my Heavenly Father. When I am weak and needy, in one of life's torrents, or wandering through a spiritual desert, He is my foundation.

God bless you.
Joe W.

bluidkiti 11-16-2013 09:50 AM

November 17

“WE ARE NOT SAINTS”

“Do not be discouraged.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 60

“Don't get discouraged and give up, for we will reap a harvest of blessing at the appropriate time.” Galatians 6:9

For what it’s worth: My active alcoholism destroyed all of my dreams and left me in despair. I came to Alcoholics Anonymous totally discouraged. When “do not be discouraged” was read from our Big Book at meetings, I wondered: How? When someone read “no one among us has been able to maintain anything like perfect adherence to these principles”, I felt both relief and hope. Those words continue to encourage me as I “trudge the Road of Happy Destiny”. Some days the trudging is tougher than others. It’s on those days that the reward of a “harvest of blessing” calls me onward. My motive may not be pure, but it works, and “we are not saints.”

God bless you.
Joe W.

bluidkiti 11-17-2013 11:03 AM

November 18

BLESSINGS FOR THOSE I HURT

“Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past." Isaiah 43:18

"This doesn't mean we need to wander morbidly around in the past." 12&12 p.89

For what it's worth: My past overflows with harm to others and torment for me. During years of God given sobriety, I have come to understand my agony was a blessing, the price paid to have enough humility to craw into Alcoholics Anonymous. The hurt I caused others, however, I have not forgotten. I still tend "to wander morbidly around in the past". At these times I am aware of my need to focus on all the blessings in my new, sober life. My Heavenly Father always helps me with this when I am willing to stop beating up on my self, drag myself out of the past and back to the moment, and jump into His lap. He always reminds me He has forgiven and forgotten my past. Since I still remember the hurt I caused others, while we are talking together, I ask my Heavenly Father to pour blessings on each of them.

God bless you.
Joe W.

bluidkiti 11-18-2013 10:21 AM

November 19

A MOST FULFILLING GIFT

"My soul thirsts for God, for the living God." Psalm 42:2

"As the body can fail its purpose for lack of nourishment, so can the soul." 12&12 p.97, Step Eleven

For what it's worth: Alcohol knocked God out of my life, and the drug anesthetized me enough to be unaware He was missing. Only after years of sobriety in Alcoholics Anonymous, with alcohol completely removed from my system, did I learn spiritual deprivation was far more painful than physical hunger. Now I could hear my empty soul crying for God, but I needed direction to find Him. The Twelve Steps and the wise, loving people in Alcoholics Anonymous guided me to the most fulfilling gift I have ever received, my Heavenly Father's unconditional love. He knew they would.

God bless you.
Joe W.

bluidkiti 11-19-2013 09:11 AM

November 20

LITTLE AND LARGE

“If you are faithful in little things, you will be faithful in large ones.

But if you are dishonest in little things, you won’t be honest with greater responsibilities.” Luke 16:10

“Nothing counted but thoroughness and honesty.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 65

For what it’s worth: Alcoholism and deep insecurity caused my entire drinking life to be a lie. The little things and the big ones were fake. Had it not been for the loving mercy of God and the therapeutic power of Alcoholics Anonymous, alcohol would have buried me a fool and a phony. Instead, AA members and sober experience have taught me absolute honestly is vital to my survival. Daily practice of the Twelve Steps and a conscious contact with my Heavenly Father make this possible … most days. Other days the Tenth Step* and a thorough appraisal with my Heavenly Father make improvement attainable the next day, with His help.

God bless you.
Joe W.

bluidkiti 11-20-2013 09:30 AM

November 21

WHO AM I TO JUDGE?

“We do talk about each other a great deal, but we almost invariably temper such talk by a spirit of love and tolerance.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 125

“I urge you, brothers, to watch out for those who cause divisions and put obstacles in your way that are contrary to the teaching you have learned. Keep away from them.” Romans 16:17

For what it’s worth: Who am I to judge anyone? Everything in me was broken by the time I came to Alcoholics Anonymous. I was accepted for the mess I was. I was presented principles to practice for healing. I was taught how to develop supportive relationships, placing principles before personalities, following our code of love and tolerance, and applying the Prayer of St. Francis. Most importantly, Alcoholics Anonymous led me to a God of my understanding, a Heavenly Father who loves me unconditionally. Today, I ask my Heavenly Father to help me not judge anyone, not talk about anyone unless my message is positive, and keep away from those “who cause divisions and put obstacles” in my path. And I beg my Heavenly Father to protect me from ever doing or saying anything that would harm Alcoholics Anonymous or any member. I have already hurt too many of His children in my past.

God bless you.
Joe W.

bluidkiti 11-22-2013 09:26 AM

November 22

"MIRACULOUS DEMONSTRATIONS"

"...It's God's Spirit in a person, the breath of the Almighty One, that makes wise human insight possible.

The experts have no corner on wisdom; getting old doesn't guarantee good sense." Job 32:6

"... Faith in a Power greater than ourselves, and miraculous demonstrations of that power in human lives, are facts as old as man himself." Alcoholics Anonymous, page 55

For what it's worth: When I was drinking, I cursed God because I had to live one more day of alcoholic hell, and I begged Him l would not suffer long enough to be old. However, here I am, never having been wrapped too tight, easily coming apart piece by piece and often operating without good sense. But, thanks to the grace of God and the spiritual power of Alcoholics Anonymous, this once hopeless, worthless drunk is living long enough to experience years of peace and happiness. Even better, I am being blessed to witness and experience untold numbers of "miraculous demonstrations" of God's love.

God bless you.
Joe W.

bluidkiti 11-22-2013 09:27 AM

November 23

TRUSTING GOD WHEN HELPING OTHERS

"When we trust in him, we're free to say whatever needs to be said, bold to go wherever we need to go." Ephesians 3:12 (The Message)

"Our very lives, as ex-problem drinkers, depend upon our constant thought of others and how we may help meet their needs." Alcoholics Anonymous, page 20

For what it's worth: Active alcoholism demands self-absorption, never allowing me to think of others. Fortunately, sober in Alcoholics Anonymous, I found helping others who suffer from this disease is the most successful weapon to combat my alcoholism. But, what do I have to offer? What can I say that will help? Do I dare go to dark, dangerous places where alcoholics gather? When asked to enter the home of an alcoholic where the family suffers, do I go? Who will go with me? Who will guide me? All of these were my questions when I learned my very survival depended upon going wherever the alcoholic lived, or suffered, or was dying. I was even more anxious when I learned I may well be the only one the alcoholic will listen to because of my experience. The wisdom of my sponsor and other members of Alcoholics Anonymous taught me trusting God was the answer to all these questions. Sure enough, throughout my sober years in Alcoholics Anonymous, I have been blessed with many opportunities to reach out to the suffering alcoholic in all manner of situations and circumstances, and, on each of these occasions, I have witnessed my Heavenly Father's love. Now I trust His love for me and all His alcoholic children. My only regret is I do not get the opportunity to do this service much anymore.

God bless you.
Joe W.

bluidkiti 11-23-2013 10:28 AM

November 24

JOY OF THANKSGIVING

“I will praise God’s name in song and glorify him with thanksgiving.” Psalm 69:30

“An honest regret for harms done, a genuine gratitude for blessings received,

and a willingness to try for better things tomorrow will be the permanent assets we shall seek.” Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, page 95

For what it’s worth: Early in Alcoholics Anonymous, rage was my response to subjects of gratitude at meetings. Why should I be thankful? Alcoholism warped my mind to believe God had destined me to hell on earth and in eternity. I had no idea Alcoholics Anonymous would change this insane belief. It took many sober years because of my arrogant stubbornness, but God and members of Alcoholics Anonymous broke through my alcohol induced stupidity, and I came to believe the fact of sobriety in Alcoholics Anonymous was a precious blessing. From that point on, awareness of God’s mercy, grace and love grew until now words cannot express the joy of thanksgiving in my heart and soul.

God bless you.
Joe W.

bluidkiti 11-24-2013 10:45 AM

November 25

THE LORD'S SMILE

“May the Lord smile on you and be gracious to you.” Numbers 6:25

“It is a most wonderful blessing to be relieved of the terrible curse with which I was afflicted.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 180, Doctor Bob's Nightmare

For what it’s worth: Alcoholism is a “terrible curse”. My diseased mind believed it was from God because I was such a disappointment to Him. Alcoholics Anonymous taught me I was not a disappointment, but an alcoholic. I learned God loved me just as the worthless drunk I was. Indeed, He must. He smiled on me with the precious gift of sobriety. All I need do is live the Twelve Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous one day at a time … a rewarding responsibility in itself; one I need God’s help with every moment. My Heavenly Father is always gracious with me with His support. Some days I have to focus to see His generosity. When I do, I am reminded of His love, not only during my sobriety, but long before, guiding me to Alcoholics Anonymous where He knew I would be carried to His arms.

God bless you.
Joe W.

bluidkiti 11-25-2013 10:18 AM

November 26

THANKSGIVING

“We thank God from the bottom of our heart that we know Him better.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 75:3

“He has given me a new song to sing, a hymn of praise to our God.” Psalm 40:2

For what it’s worth: If someone had an attitude about me that I had about God, I would want nothing to do with them. If someone would have treated me as I did God, I would want to stay as far away from them as possible. But not God! Obviously, based upon all of my experiences, He loves me. Although I cursed Him, He stayed with me, carrying me through extreme, life threatening experiences, and bringing me to Alcoholics Anonymous and a new and sober life. The song I sing to praise God is certainly different from the past. I sing gratitude to Him “from the bottom of my heart”.

God bless you.
Joe W.

bluidkiti 11-26-2013 08:42 AM

November 27

“JUST FINE”

“Give in to God, come to terms with him and everything will turn out just fine.” Job 22:21 (The Message)

“In fact, the effectiveness of the whole A.A. program will rest upon how well and earnestly we have tried to come to ‘a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.’” Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, page 34

For what it’s worth: Coming to terms with God was frightening. No way it could “turn out just fine”. Besides being a no-good drunk, I had cursed Him, rejected Him, and hurt many of his children, young and old. God knew I was afraid of Him, so He pursued me through a bunch of tricky drunks in Alcoholics Anonymous. They used all manner of chicanery to prove they cared and win my trust, leading me to believe maybe God cared and could be trusted. Finally, the agony of a dark, empty soul forced me to “give in to God” and pray our Third Step prayer. This was the beginning of a joyful spiritual journey, despite steep climbs and deep pits. My Heavenly Father has carried me all the way, and everything did “turn out just fine”.

God bless you.
Joe W.

bluidkiti 11-27-2013 12:22 PM

November 28

A SECURE PATH

“But if you are shaky, you had better work with another alcoholic!” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 102

“He set my feet on solid ground and steadied me as I walked along.” Psalm 40:2

For what it’s worth: Despite my denial of being in a hopeless stage of alcoholism, despite the fact I cursed Him, and despite my prideful resistance, my Higher Power rescued me from a road careening rapidly down to hell. He placed me on a secure path - the one where we rarely see anyone fail when they climb the Steps. He stays close to me, balancing me, keeping me secure. When I become uneasy, depressed, confused, or in any way shaky, while I’m on this path, my Heavenly Father holds me close to Him until we reach more solid ground. He is extremely creative in how He does this, and I have noticed He works best when I stay out of His way. The surest way He helps is when He places another suffering alcoholic on the path with me. That always works.

God bless you.
Joe W.

bluidkiti 11-28-2013 11:14 AM

November 29

GOD WANTS TO TALK TO ME

"Salvation is not a reward for the good things we have done, so none of us can boast about it." Ephesians 2:9 (NLT)

"He wanted so much to talk with someone, but whom?" Alcoholics Anonymous, page 154

For what it's worth: Alcoholism is a heavy load. When I was drinking, having someone to talk with would have been a tremendous relief. However, no one wants to listen to a drunk's babble, so I had to suffer alone in order to feel enough torment to open the doors of Alcoholics Anonymous. There I found not only sobriety but understanding people with whom I could talk. They understood. They had been where I was. They told me God had saved them from the hell of alcoholism and they thanked Him through prayer and meditation. They suggested I try prayer as a way to talk with God. It worked. A spiritual awakening occurred and I found God actually wanted to be with me and listen to me. This is a powerfully inspirational reward. I no longer believe God wants nothing to do with me. He always wants to be close and have me talk with Him, especially when life is a heavy load.

God bless you.
Joe W.