Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums

Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/index.php)
-   Daily Recovery Readings (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   More Recovery Thoughts and Quotes - September (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4666)

MajestyJo 09-14-2014 04:30 PM

Quote:

Seven days without a meeting makes one weak.
Went for a ten day holiday with a friend's sister's cottage, which turned out to be a mid 1800 renovated log cabin. I didn't have to do any cooking, the only thing I did was make two potato salads because I wanted to and there was a dish washer and I didn't have to do dishes. A lot was done on the barbecue and I could sit back and relax. They had 180 ft waterfront on the lake, and lots of trees, birds, butterflies and critters around, just beautiful. His sister came on the weekends with her husband, and we got along like she was my sister. She brought out white wine, and I found myself watching the sweat on the bottle and the bubbles in the wine. She took so long to drink it, I wanted to say, "Would you please hurry up and drink that darn stuff!" I said to my friend, "I really need a meeting. He said, "You have me (He had 18 months) and all of God creation around me." I said, "I need a meeting. When I got off the train in Toronto, there was a girl there I knew from NA and I got a hug. I got off the shuttle in Oakville to get the bus, and I met up with a guy from Wayside Treatment Center who went to the meeting Freedom of Recovery that I started at the request of my landlord, and got another hug. I got home at 5 p.m. and was at the meeting about 5 blocks away at 8 p.m. I think I left Kingston at noon. I know it was a long day, but there was no way I was going to miss that meeting.

At 10 years sober, I was still doing 7-10 meetings a week because of service and for my own sobriety. I needed extra meetings to fill me up so I had something to give away.

yukonm 09-15-2014 07:05 AM

Thanks for sharing that MJ.

I always say how grateful I am to those with long time sobriety that continue to come to the meetings and share their experience strength and hope. I hope I never start feeling like I don't need meetings anymore. Granted, I don't go to as many as I did in the beginning but as I become more grounded in recovery, I find that I have a balance and life shows up again. So today I have a full life---a social life, a romantic life, a spiritual life........and I get to experience all those parts. BUT if it were not for my recovery, I doubt I would have any life at all.

yukonm 09-15-2014 07:16 AM

September 15

AA 'Big Book' - Quote

Every day is a day when we must carry the vision of God's will into all of our activities. 'How can I best serve Thee - Thy will ( not mine ) be done.' These are thoughts which must go with us constantly. We can exercise our will power along this line all we wish. It is the proper use of the will. - Pg. 85 - Into Action

Hour To Hour - Book - Quote

Our disease is NOT the drug, it is a system malfunction in the person. This malfunction is in the brain (neurochemistry), in the mind (irrationality), and in the spirit (immorality). Only by healing all three do we have any hopes of recovering.

May I understand that I am not fighting the chemicals that made me sick, I am fighting the malfunctions that make me want to use them.

Pocket Sponsor - Book - Quote

Egotism is that certain something that enables a man in a rut to think he's in a groove.

I am never in a rut when I can answer this question, 'What Step am I working now?'

"Walk Softly and Carry a Big Book" - Book

United We Stand=-Divided We Stagger.

Time for Joy - Book - Quote

Today I'm willing to take responsibility for my own life.

I am willing to grow up and let go of my parents. I am filled with the sense of my own power and I choose not to give it away.

Alkiespeak - Book - Quote

There are not too many people too stupid to get this program but there have been a lot too clever. - Unknown origin.

MajestyJo 09-15-2014 12:18 PM

Quote:

There are not too many people too stupid to get this program but there have been a lot too clever. - Unknown origin.
Love this, always said, "If only people were half as smart as they thought they were. Myself included, recovery had a way of teaching me that way, Step 7 had a way of reinforcing it.

yukonm 09-16-2014 07:37 AM

September 16

AA 'Big Book' - Quote

The old pleasures were gone. They were but memories. Never could we recapture the great moments of the past. There was an insistent yearning to enjoy life as we once did and a heartbreaking obsession that some new miracle of control would enable us to do it. There was always one more attempt -- and one more failure. - Pg. 151 - A Vision For You

'Let Go and Let God' is a simple phrase that helps us realize that we are not in charge of the world. Our need to control and manage all things in our life will soon be replaced as we allow Our Spiritual Source to operate.

Let this phrase gently lead me to practice Step three each time I hear it in a meeting or see it written on the walls of our meetings.

You will respect yourself to the degree that you do not violate your own value system.

Self-respect is the most important respect I can earn.

There are no musts in our program, but a lot of 'have-tos'.

Light is shining on my path today as I face in the direction of love and goodness.

One step at a time is leading me exactly where I need to be.

I drank like eight pigs. - Mike.

MajestyJo 09-16-2014 08:47 PM

One guy told me that he spilled more than I drank. That is okay, that is him, I am glad it wasn't me. I drank enough to change me into a person, I didn't want to be. I didn't need more.

yukonm 09-17-2014 07:45 AM

September 17

AA 'Big Book' - Quote

Live and let live is the rule. If you both show a willingness to remedy your own defects, there will be little need to criticize each other. - Pg. 118 - To Wives

Vengeance sometimes seems the only way to get back at those who've hurt us. But we've found the best vengeance is living well, practicing our principles, and letting our Higher Power take care of the offenders.

May I recognize and internalize that vengeance is an attribute of addiction, not recovery.

Whatever vexes you currently, imagine for a moment what could make it worse. What can make it worse than that? Again. Imagine it, feel it, and come back to now. If you can make it worse, then you can make it better. Remember this: you are not helpless before your feelings.

I am stronger at what I'm doing, than my feelings are at what they're doing.

If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

Today I continue to find people who are positive, healthy and nurturing.

Today I continue to find people who are positive, healthy and nurturing.

yukonm 09-18-2014 08:41 AM

September 18

AA 'Big Book' - Quote

We were having trouble with personal relationships, we couldn't control our emotional natures, we were a prey to misery and depression, we couldn't make a living, we had a feeling of uselessness, we were full of fear, we were unhappy, we couldn't seem to be of real help to other people - was not a basic solution of these bedevilments more important than whether we should see newsreels of lunar flight? Of course it was. - Pg. 52 - We Agnostics

Many times we go to meetings to listen to what happens to people who don't go to meetings. When they ask for a topic at today's meeting, suggest 'What Happens to People Who Don't go to Meetings.'

One meeting a day can not possibly take as much time as my former bars, parties, connections, and the energy I put into using and drinking. Help me see that any complaints about the 'frequency' is unfounded.

Whether you pray, petition, plead, protest, prod, or praise your Spiritual Source, whether you sing songs of gratitude or whisper words of doubt, this is prayer.

Got prayer?

We take the steps, but it's funny where the steps take us.

If something isn't working for me today, I am willing to let go of the struggle.

I trust that God has something better in store for me.

Ninety per cent of what I do on first contact with a new drunk is to spoon feed him Traditions. 'Cos if you get a guy in your car and you're on your way to a meeting and you say: 'Look, you're going to have to take a searching and fearless moral inventory.' you'd better not hit a red light, 'cos they're gone. - Doug D.

yukonm 09-19-2014 07:17 AM

September 19

AA 'Big Book' - Quote

The greatest enemies of us alcoholics are resentment, jealousy, envy, frustration, and fear. Whenever men are gathered together in business there will be rivalries and, arising out of these, a certain amount of office politics. Sometimes we alcoholics have an idea that people are trying to pull us down. Often this is not so at all. But sometimes our drinking will be used politically. - Pg. 145 - To Employers

Learning to be tolerant of others, a difficult task at best, does not mean that we have to agree with them! Tolerance disagrees agreeably, we think. If someone disagrees with us right now, we can agree to disagree.

Right now I ask for the serenity to agree to disagree because my discomfort for prolonged times could lead me to pick up that first fix, pill, or drink!

One of your greatest resources can be your pets. Animals are wonderful companions and better listeners. They give undivided and devoted attention--long past the time when others have exited. They do not judge and they love unconditionally.

I work toward becoming the person my dog thinks I am.

It says: 'here are the steps we took,' not suggested, not understand.

I grow and learn from everything that happens.

Today I am keeping my eyes open and many head clear so that I don't have to make the same mistake twice.

Carry the message not the mess. - Anon.

yukonm 09-20-2014 08:29 AM

September 20

AA 'Big Book' - Quote

We suggest you draw the book to the attention of the doctor who is to attend your patient during treatment. If the book is read the moment the patient is able, while acutely depressed, realization of his condition may come to him.
We hope the doctor will tell the patient the truth about his condition, whatever that happens to be. When the man is presented with this volume it is best that no one tell him he must abide by its suggestions. The man must decide for himself. - Pg. 144 - To Employers

The professionals in our new life may appraise our situation better than us. They are not romantically linked to our love affair with drugs. Therefore, their evaluation may be more nearly correct.

May I have the ability to listen to those trying to help me; they honestly may be more objective than myself.

When you are having a bad day, lower your expectations and start over!

The more I work on me - the better most people behave.

Today do something for someone you love: Leave them alone.

I am very grateful for this day.

I am grateful for all the love and inspiration that I receive from my Higher Power wherever I ask.

I just stop and tune in to this universal energy and am transformed to the level of my willingness.

We have an approach called the Dumb Guy Approach to sobriety. We follow the directions that are in the AA Big Book. We don't make up any directions, there are already directions in here. If the book says we should read, we read. If it says to pray, we pray. If it says write, we write. Simple as that; 'Duh dum, ah what the hell, I can do that.' - Milt L.

yukonm 09-21-2014 07:09 AM

September 21

AA 'Big Book' - Quote

If he is sincerely interested and wants to see you again, ask him to read this book in the interval. After doing that, he must decide for himself whether he wants to go on. He should not be pushed or prodded by you, his wife, or his friends. If he is to find God, the desire must come from within.
If he thinks he can do the job in some other way, or prefers some other spiritual approach, encourage him to follow his own conscience. We have no monopoly on God; we merely have an approach that worked with us. But point out that we alcoholics have much in common and that you would like, in any case, to be friendly. Let it go at that. - Pg. 95 - Working With Others

If you were the helper and not the helpee, how would you like the person you were working with to behave? Are you acting in a manner consistent with what you believe is right?

Help me act in the same manner I would have others act with me under the same circumstances.

Do you like being lied to? Didn't think so. Yet how many times have you said, 'I'm fine' or 'Everything's OK' when it's not? When your friends ask how you are, they deserve not to be lied to. When you lie to others, you lie to yourself.

I am authentic with others and thus myself.

If you want to know God's will, spend time with Him.

Today I am taking whatever comes in my stride.

Today I know I can handle any change, any surprise, anything as long as I remember that my Higher Power is with me and I am never alone.

I'd wake up in the morning and my mind would be waiting like a vulture on the bed head: 'Good, I've been waiting for you.' - And it never told me anything positive. - Bob E.

yukonm 09-22-2014 08:20 AM

September 22

AA 'Big Book' - Quote

We have seen the truth demonstrated again and again: 'Once an alcoholic, always an alcoholic.' Commencing to drink after a period of sobriety, we are in a short time as bad as ever. If we are planning to stop drinking, there must be no reservation of any kind, nor any lurking notion that someday we will be immune to alcohol. - Pg. 33 - More About Alcoholism

The slogans we are learning are like combinations to unlock something of value and make it accessible to our mind. Even if we don't like the slogans hanging on the walls and repeated at meetings, we at least consider the possibility of opening our mind to it's intent.

What situation, God, can I find this hour where a slogan will lead me to the solution?

'When adversity strikes, my message is always, Even this will pass...and better days than we have ever experienced will come.' ~Dr. Norman Vincent Peale

I can't run from God, so I let God run me.

God speaks through people, don't worry about which ones.

Today I will find someone who needs my love.

Today I will share my strength, hope and experience so that someone else can be reborn.

'Analysis' has 'anal' in there. That tells me something. - Trip S.

yukonm 09-23-2014 07:20 AM

September 23

AA 'Big Book' - Quote

Men and women drink essentially because they like the effect produced by alcohol. The sensation is so elusive that, while they admit it is injurious, they cannot after a time differentiate the true from the false. To them, their alcoholic life seems the only normal one. They are restless, irritable and discontented, unless they can again experience the sense of ease and comfort which comes at once by taking a few drinks - drinks which they see others taking with impunity. After they have succumbed to the desire again, as so many do, and the phenomenon of craving develops, they pass through the well-known stages of a spree, emerging remorseful, with a firm resolution not to drink again. This is repeated over and over, and unless this person can experience an entire psychic change there is little hope of his recovery. - Pg. xxviii-xxix - 4th. Edition - The Doctor's Opinion

Even though you are a unique human being, you are not so unique that your recovery is any different then thousands before you. If you think we don't understand, then your disease is playing tricks on you because it doesn't want you getting well with us.

I name three reasons why I am just like every other chemical dependent seeking recovery.

Courage is more complex than spontaneous reactions to traumatic events. It may take courage to rush into a burning building or jump in a river to save a life, but they are almost instinctual. Sharing your deep feelings might be an act of courage far beyond gallant feats.

My courage is my fear in action.

Your sponsor helped you up. Don't let them down.

Today I am really listening to the messages that I tell myself.

Today I want to feel good.

Today I'm changing on my negative messages for positive ones.

I got side-tracked; it wasn't that I was born needing six drinks, just Twelve Steps. - Trip S.

yukonm 09-24-2014 09:28 AM

September 24

AA 'Big Book' - Quote

When we saw others solve their problems by a simple reliance upon the Spirit of the Universe, we had to stop doubting the power of God. Our ideas did not work. But the God idea did. - Pg. 52 - We Agnostics

Emotional pain is not a character defect. It is a part of life and must be attended to like all our feelings. Feelings are not facts. They are bio-feedback on how we are doing today and what needs attention inside. How are you doing today?

Feelings won't kill me, but killing my feelings will.

Refuse to attack yourself.

Today I choose to do things for me that make me feel good about myself.

Today is a perfect day to do something that I have been putting off.

Extreme remedies are very appropriate for extreme diseases. - Hippocrates.

yukonm 09-25-2014 01:08 AM

September 25

AA 'Big Book' - Quote

When, therefore, we speak to you of God, we mean your own conception of God. This applies, too, to other spiritual expressions which you find in this book. - Pg. 47 - We Agnostics

Being More of Me

Today, I realize that if I am to stand centered and strong within my life and self, I will need to plant a garden within my own soul. A garden for me to nurture and to nurture me. A haven of beauty. I will find my own voice and sing my song because if I don't sing it, it will not be sung. It is all I have and it is enough. I do not need to prove anything to anyone anymore. I have come home -- to me. The truth is, I was here all along, only I forgot to look for myself. Instead, I searched for me in other people's meaning and became lost in their stories. I am not lost today. I know that there is nowhere to look for me but within myself, and no one to lead me there but me.

- Tian Dayton PhD

Sponsors carry the message, not the sponsee.

Today I choose to build a pathway to freedom from the bondage of self.

I was worried about stuff I couldn't remember for my 4th Step. My sponsor said: 'Let's just do the fridge, we'll get to the freezer later. - Tony.