Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums

Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/index.php)
-   Daily Spiritual Meditations (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Daily Reprieve - June (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3840)

bluidkiti 05-30-2014 11:18 AM

Daily Reprieve - June

June 1

CHOSEN FOR ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS

“We were in a position where life was becoming impossible, and if we had passed into the region from which there is no return through human aid, we had but two alternatives: One was to go on to the bitter end, blotting out the consciousness of our intolerable situation as best we could; and the other, to accept spiritual help.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 25

“Brothers, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth. But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong.” 1 Corinthians 1: 26 & 27

For what it’s worth: Life was impossible in the region of no return. I attempted to escape the bitter end by suicide often when I was drunk. But God would not let me die. I cursed Him because I could not see He had chosen me for Alcoholics Anonymous. I may never know why. There were many far more deserving than I. I could never have entered on this spiritual journey without God's intervention. And, even after many sober years, my weaknesses and defects make God do all the work. If I am to make any progress along this spiritual path, I need Him every day. If I try to walk alone, I stumble and fall. But I thank God I have found a sure way of rising up and moving on. All I have to do is be grateful I am chosen, and think about those I know who were not.

God bless you!
Joe W.

bluidkiti 05-30-2014 11:18 AM

June 2

HEALING, INSIDE AND OUT

“After all, our problems were of our own making. Bottles were only a symbol.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 103

“For I am poor and needy, and my heart is wounded within me.” Psalm 109:22

For what it's worth: My insecurities and weaknesses came before the alcohol. When those defects became too heavy, I used alcohol for relief and rapidly became addicted, creating havoc in my life and the lives of others. Being aware of the damage I caused, I lived in despair with guilt and shame for years, until I finally reached out to Alcoholics Anonymous. Here I find hope, people who understand and accept me, and a God that loves me. His grace, the power of the Twelve Steps, and the support of the people of Alcoholics Anonymous are my road to recovery– not just from my drinking problem, but for the whole me – a way to joy and peace, inside and out.

God bless you!
Joe W.

bluidkiti 06-01-2014 11:07 AM

June 3

BLESSINGS FROM CARING MOTIVES

“Before we begin, we ask God to direct our thinking, especially asking that it be divorced from self-pity, dishonest or self-seeking motives.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 86

"But I know! I, the LORD, search all hearts and examine secret motives. I give all people their due rewards, according to what their actions deserve." Jeremiah 17:10

For what it's worth: The drink dominated my thinking so that my motives were always to satisfy my need for alcohol. I did not realize this fact until I was sober in Alcoholics Anonymous. The First Step revealed the depth of control alcohol had on me, even mandating my motives. The Second Step gave me hope my mind would be free of alcoholism’s control. And so it is as I daily turn my will and my life over to God's care in the Third Step. First thing each day now for many sober years, I ask God to direct my thinking, and throughout the day He and I examine my motives. Correction is needed often, and I ask for His grace to improve. My Heavenly Father and I work on this daily, and I know He puts good will and concern for others in my heart and mind because I sense the blessings He gives with this.

God bless you!
Joe W.

bluidkiti 06-01-2014 11:10 AM

June 4

YEARNING FOR GOD

“The central fact of our lives today is the absolute certainty that our Creator has entered into our hearts and lives in a way which is indeed miraculous.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 25

“As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God.” Psalm 42: 2

For what it’s worth: No one told me the agony in my life was that my soul was empty, and I drank to try fill it. Alcohol numbed the pain, so I drank daily and was rapidly addicted; wrecking my life and wronging those I loved. Alcoholism enslaved me, and denial hid it from me. I was searching for something to fill the hole in my soul. Although I looked in many places and tried many ways, I never found anything until I stopped drinking in Alcoholics Anonymous. I had no idea that Alcoholics Anonymous was such a spiritual program. I did not trust it at first because of my resentment toward church and things religious, but now I see as soon as I was here, even without knowing it until much later, the miracle started – my soul was filling. At first, just a drop; now the hope and trust brim over as I continue my search for fulfillment in God’s peace.

God bless you!
Joe W.

bluidkiti 06-03-2014 11:40 AM

June 5

HIS GIFTS

“Reminding ourselves that we have decided to go to any lengths to find a spiritual experience, we ask that we be given strength and direction to do the right thing, no matter what the personal consequences may be.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 79

“If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!” Matthew 7: 11

For what it’s worth: Continued suffering for me and others was inevitable and would end only with my lonely, miserable, alcoholic death. And it was near. I had no other choice than going to any links when I entered Alcoholics Anonymous. Despite mistrust, I had to turn to God. My motives were selfish, but God heard my plea. He granted me a daily reprieve and Twelve Steps to a spiritual experience that totally transformed me. Still, this child of God desperately needs his Heavenly Father, especially when maintaining sobriety and my spiritual condition is an uphill climb. I am blessed that no matter how troublesome and steep the mountain, my Heavenly Father always gives His child strength and direction. And He and I continue to climb together. I find that my Heavenly Father does not wait until we get to the top; His good gifts are given along the way.

God bless you!
Joe W.

bluidkiti 06-03-2014 11:40 AM

June 6

WORSHIPING ALCOHOL

“That special relationship with alcohol will always be there, waiting to seduce me again.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 397

“But be vigilant, lest you be seduced away and end up serving and worshipping other gods…” Deuteronomy 11: 16

For what it’s worth: My god was alcohol, the center of my life. I donated far more money and time to alcohol than any religion, so, obviously, I worshiped it. But I thought I was above such things once I stopped drinking in Alcoholics Anonymous. Such pride could have killed me. Being witness to many tragic relapses, I am fully aware of alcoholism's seductive powers. It can insidiously turn me away from all things I love, including God. And alcoholism would love to watch me die in the gutters of Baltimore with the cockroaches crawling all over my stinking body. Remembering how close I was to that sad ending, and knowing my defects still outnumber my virtues, I must stay close to my Heavenly Father today, humbly begging for His grace to stay sober and give Him the glory.

God bless you
Joe W.

bluidkiti 06-05-2014 10:56 AM

June 7

UNWRAP THE TRUTH

“We found that we had to rely upon the principle of attraction rather than of promotion.” 12&12 p.181

“For whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.” Matthew 23: 12

For what it’s worth: It was not only alcohol that filled my being, it was shame. To hide my feelings of worthlessness, I tried to impress others. It became a habit, following me long into sobriety in Alcoholics Anonymous. I can still promote myself instead of simply sharing the truth, especially at those times when the scares of shame bleed again. It is then I must trust God's love for me just as I am, and practice the principle of attraction rather than promotion, giving God the praise. I’ve heard that there’s no smaller package than an alcoholic all wrapped up in himself, so I need to unwrap any layers of deceit that still remain.

God bless you!
Joe W.

bluidkiti 06-05-2014 10:57 AM

June 8

WATCHING GOD WORK

“To some extent we have become God-conscious.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 85

“The Lord gives strength to his people.” Psalm 29:11

For what it’s worth: Alcoholism had me isolated from God and man. Fortunately, this void became unbearably agonizing and drove me to seek help. Alcoholics Anonymous immediately reversed this condition, placing me with caring people, sharing together their experience, strength and hope. At first, I was resistant and blind to it, but eventually I grew to see God was there with those people, granting them the strength to stay sober, grow spiritually, and be an example to me. Today, as I become God-conscious, when I open my eyes and soul to it, I can see my Heavenly Father working in His children He places in my life. His timing is infallible, and He can be real clever about it. It is important I do my best not to tell Him how to do it, just relax and enjoy the pleasure and privilege of being aware of His presence and love.

God bless you.
Joe W.

bluidkiti 06-07-2014 09:01 AM

June 9

WATCHING GOD WORK

“To some extent we have become God-conscious.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 85

“The Lord gives strength to his people.” Psalm 29:11

For what it’s worth: Alcoholism had me isolated from God and man. Fortunately, this void became unbearably agonizing and drove me to seek help. Alcoholics Anonymous immediately reversed this condition, placing me with caring people, sharing together their experience, strength and hope. At first, I was resistant and blind to it, but eventually I grew to see God was there with those people, granting them the strength to stay sober, grow spiritually, and be an example to me. Today, as I become God-conscious, when I open my eyes and soul to it, I can see my Heavenly Father working in His children He places in my life. His timing is infallible, and He can be real clever about it. It is important I do my best not to tell Him how to do it, just relax and enjoy the pleasure and privilege of being aware of His presence and love.

God bless you.
Joe W.

bluidkiti 06-07-2014 09:02 AM

June 10

SAFE, SANE, & SOBER

“…We simply do not stop drinking so long as we place dependence upon other people ahead of dependence on God.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 98

“In spite of this, you did not trust in the LORD your God…” Deuteronomy 1:32

For what it’s worth: Everyone and alcohol betrayed me. There was no trust left when I walked into my first meeting of Alcoholics Anonymous. The accepting and caring people there suggested I turn my will and my life over to God, but false beliefs blocked me. I was blind to all the times in my past God had saved me. But my empty soul screamed out for some kind of fulfillment, motivating me to, at least, try to do as Alcoholics Anonymous suggested in the Third Step. This decision is all it took. Without demanding anything of me, God started teaching me to trust Him. He made me aware of all His help in my past; I saw how He was placing all the right people at all the right moments in my life; and, as His grace kept me sober, I began to realize He was carrying me through some extremely difficult times without alcohol. Now, after years of learning, I have an inner peace when I depend on my Heavenly Father. When I trust His love, I stay safe, sane, and sober.

God bless you.

Joe W.

bluidkiti 06-10-2014 11:43 AM

June 11

GOD’S WAYS ARE NOT ALWAYS MY WAYS

“We are in the world to play the role He assigns.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 68

“The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped.” Psalm 28:7

For what it’s worth: Alcoholism dictated my role as a mistrusting slave. My confidence was destroyed, even in alcohol, and especially in God. So, in sobriety, I am slow to learn to trust. Gratefully, God is patient and usually gentle, but His lessons are not always the grand and glorious ones I would like. Sometimes He teaches humility by assigning me to make coffee or set up chairs for a meeting. Other times His help comes through the most unlikely people, at least, according to my judgment, but He does not check with me first. Often He even allows pain and discomfort to teach me something I need, and, when I ask for an easier, softer way, He smiles and tells me “NO”, going so far as to suggest I relax and take it easy, and leave it all up to Him.

God bless you.
Joe W.

bluidkiti 06-10-2014 11:44 AM

June 12

STEPPING IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION

“We usually conclude the period of meditation with a prayer that we be shown all through the day what our next step is to be…” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 87

“The steps of the godly are directed by the Lord.” Psalm 37:23

For what it’s worth: Down was the direction of my drinking until a Higher Power pulled me from the gates of hell and placed my feet on a path up the Twelve Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous. On this proven path, a loving Heavenly Father directs my every step, when I remember, and take time to ask. When I do, my Heavenly Father always shows me my next right step; although, He has been known to wait to the last minute. Then, I tend to be in a hurry, take charge, and wonder why my day is all wrong. So, today, I will seek His guidance, practice staying out of His way, and trust He loves me and will be there for me.

God bless you.
Joe W.

bluidkiti 06-13-2014 11:29 AM

June 13

INFINITELY MORE

"We found the Great Reality deep down within us." Alcoholics Anonymous, page 55

"Glory be to God! By his mighty power at work within us, he is able to accomplish infinitely more than we would ever dare to ask or hope." Ephesians 3:20

For what it's worth: God would not let go. I tried to escape, but He was always there deep down within me, even during my darkest days. And He still is. Back during my drinking, I did not welcome God's whispers. It felt like He was nagging me with his constant attempts to save me from myself and my alcoholism. Today I welcome the way He encourages me with His soft and gentle words and holds my soul in His strong hands. The emptiness of my drunk, dark days of despair is gone. I have “found the Great Reality deep down within” me, and I have experienced the life-changing miracles He accomplishes. I say “thank you, Lord”, knowing how inadequate it is compared to blessings infinitely more than this once no-good drunk would ever dare to ask or hope.

God bless you.
Joe W.

bluidkiti 06-13-2014 11:29 AM

June 14

PRINCIPLES

"The principles we have set down are guides to progress." Alcoholics Anonymous, page 60

"Oh, that my actions would consistently reflect your principles!" Psalm 119: 5

For what it's worth: Principles were my strong point. So I thought until alcoholism easily eliminated my ethics and I had no moral convictions left when I finally reached Alcoholics Anonymous. I heard people discuss “practicing these principles”, and I did not believe I was capable. But I stayed sober and attended meetings daily, and ever so slowly, with your guidance and example, and by the grace of God, I was able to make a start. First, I had to be honest - about my life, my losses and my limitations. My human weaknesses combined with my disease of alcoholism demanded strength from a Higher Power. So, as humbly as I could, I turned my life, losses, and limitations over to the care of God. That was all that was required. Immediately I began a spiritual journey, daily trying to practice these principles in all of my affairs. When I fail, I crawl up into my Heavenly Father’s lap and let His love hold me and heal me.

God bless you.
Joe W.

bluidkiti 06-13-2014 11:30 AM

June 15

PATH TO PEACE

"I am at peace with myself and the world around me." Alcoholics Anonymous, page 318 (Fourth Edition)

"The Lord gives his people strength. The Lord blesses them with peace." Psalm 29:11

For what it's worth: All my pacifiers had lost their "magic" and inner turmoil raged daily. This misery, thank God, forced me to seek relief in Alcoholics Anonymous. God knew I would find much more than relief: sobriety; people to accept me; hope and healing in the Twelve Steps; and, most importantly, God knew I would find Him, my Heavenly Father. He reached deep into my being and removed the rage and turmoil and He placed me on a path to peace. My Heavenly Father holds me up when I falter and leads be back when I go astray on this path to His peace.

God bless you.
Joe W.