Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums

Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/index.php)
-   Alcohol, Drugs and Other Addictions Recovery (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Food for Thought for Over Eaters Anonymous (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7721)

MajestyJo 03-30-2017 11:20 PM

Quote:

Thought for the Day
Thursday MAR30

From the book: Food for Thought

Simple Joys

When we came into OA, we may have thought that we needed many material possessions, power, security, and great admiration from other people in order to be happy. We may have spent a tremendous amount of effort trying to acquire these things. Perhaps we were apparently successful, and yet were miserable because of our inability to control our eating. No amount of material possessions, fame, or prestige can alleviate the pain of compulsive overeating.

Abstinence is simple. It does not require great wealth, talent, or intellectual ability. It is immediately available to all of us. When we abstain, we know the simple joy of waking up in the morning feeling good. We can live without fear of our next eating binge. We find that we enjoy our three simple meals a day much more than our former overindulgences.

Through OA, we can accept ourselves and others for what we are. We do not have to impress each other. Friendship and sharing increase our joy.

Thank You for the simple joys of abstinence.
When I work the program and apply the Steps to my life, I feel better about myself. Guilt, remorse, and blame are all negative emotions that I need to change. As I shared with a member of my group today, "Just because I have a feeling, I don't have to act on it.

Eating to stuff my feelings, instead of letting them go and asking for help to change them.

http://angelwinks.ca/images/animated/animated49.gif

MajestyJo 04-02-2017 11:58 PM

Food for Thought for April

http://www.hazeldenbettyford.org/rec...od-for-thought

https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.n...=0&w=182&h=174

MajestyJo 04-03-2017 12:00 AM

Thought for the Day
Sunday, APR2

Food Is Not God

Though we may not have admitted it, food was probably the most important thing in our lives when we were overeating. How many times did our relationships with family and friends suffer because of our slavery to our appetites? How often did we hurt those we loved by placing our craving above their needs?

Instead of loving God first, most of us . .

MajestyJo 04-07-2017 07:12 AM

Quote:

Thought for the Day
Friday, APR 7

Appetite

Appetite grows as it is fed. The more we eat, the more we want to eat. If we let any physical appetite take over - whether it is for food, sex, security, or whatever - we become its slave.

If we do not nurture our relationship with our Higher Power so that God is the ultimate authority for everything that we do and the object of our greatest desire, then we will be enslaved by one or more of our physical appetites. When God is perceived to be the greatest good and the source of all joy and satisfaction, then physical appetites fall into their proper place.

First we seek spiritual growth. Our primary desire is to do God's will for us, as He enables us to do it. When He is our Master, His love feeds our spiritual appetite and we begin to know the inner peace and satisfaction, which the world cannot give.

May my desire be always for You.
This reminds me that my drug of choice is more. In order to fill that void, that feeling of being empty, I have to fill it up with spiritual things, so I have that spiritual defense against my addiction.

MajestyJo 04-13-2017 09:24 AM

Quote:

Thought for the Day

Thursday, APR13

Greed

How many of us are killing ourselves with our own greed? In spite of all that we take in, we remain empty. Excessive consumption depresses our spirits even before it destroys our bodies.

Why are we so empty? Is it because we search for fulfillment in the wrong places? Do we expect permanent satisfaction from new clothes, more food, a bigger house? When the acquisition of these things fails to satisfy us for long, we then think we must go out and get more clothes, better food, a more elegant house.

Sometimes our greed arises out of fear, fear that we will not have enough. Kahlil Gibran says, "What is fear of need but need itself? Is not dread of thirst when your well is full, the thirst that is unquenchable?"

We are all children of a Father who satisfies our need but not our greed. To trust Him to abundantly supply all that we truly require is to give up fear as well as greed.

Take away my greed, Lord.
This brought to mind the words of the song, "Killing me softly with your charm." That is what food does to me if I let it talk me into something I know I am not suppose to have. My drug of choice is more. Food is a drug.

http://www.magiclanterngraphics.com/...easter-egg.gif

MajestyJo 04-15-2017 10:07 PM

Quote:

Thought for the Day
Saturday, APR 15

A Daily Reprieve

Through the grace of our Higher Power and by means of the OA program, we compulsive overeaters are given a daily reprieve from our disease. This reprieve, however, is dependent on our spiritual condition. If we do not stay in touch with our Higher Power and if we do not practice the OA principles each day, we lose the reprieve and fall into compulsive overeating.

Our program comes first; other concerns are secondary. OA is not something which we can tack on to our schedule when it is convenient. To be effective, it requires top priority. This does not mean that we spend all of our time involved in OA activities. It does mean that all of our activities are guided by spiritual principles.

Impossible? Only if we refuse to turn our lives over to our Higher Power. When He is in control, our work, recreation, and rest all come under His direction. We are spiritually in tune each day and safe from our disease.

Thank You for saving me from my disease today.
Every thing works together for my Higher Good. Earlier when I was posting and when I shared with my sister and a friend, it was this same things, a daily reprieve. It is subject to my spiritual condition in today. Today I went to a Spiritual Center for a healing from a group of people in a healing circle. The energy was there for the taking. As the Pastor said, "It is what you are open to receive." I also believe, it is subject to my Higher Power's Will as to how much I receive. I may need more awareness, more work, and more experience before things can change. If I am not willing to receive and do the work, it isn't going to happen. Mind you there have been time my God has been there and I got what I needed, in spite of my self.

https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.g...=0&w=197&h=160

MajestyJo 04-19-2017 07:17 PM

Quote:

hought for the Day
Wednesday, APR19

Perseverance

We all go through periods when we seem to be standing still or slipping backwards. It is often difficult to stay with our food plan when weight loss slows or stops. We may become bored with the program if our understanding of it is superficial. There are many times when things do not go the way we would like, and we may be tempted to give up.

Let's remember where we began and how miserable we were before we found OA. If there are times when abstinence does not seem so great, let's remember how much worse the alternative is. We have been down in the depths of despair before, and we do not choose to go back there.

One day at a time, we can keep moving forward. Even when we see no signs of progress, we can know that our Higher Power is now in charge of our recovery and that His purposes never fail.

Lord, give us strength to persevere.
This is still a good message for me. The following message I wrote on another site, I think it was on the old site that crashed. This was written by me in 2010. Here it is 2017, and I still need strength to persevere.

Quote:

A good message for me. I get discouraged when I am eating healthy and the weight doesn't come off. I feel better about myself and I think there are times I lose inches, but I don't think I will ever be slim and curvy again so need to find some acceptance. Part of that is that you can't defy gravity forever.

I try to tempt my appetite, not with things that aren't good for me but with things that taste good. I try to season things and make them more palatable easier to swallow.

With diabetes, I am in this for the long haul. I had eating disorders in the past, when I didn't want to eat because I felt fat because I was swollen and would figure "What is the use?" I had to come to realize that I was the use and I was worthwhile and deserved to feel good and live a healthy life.

MajestyJo 04-21-2017 09:50 PM

Quote:

Thought for the Day
Friday, APR21

New Skills

When we stop eating compulsively, we get out of ruts that we may have been in for years. Our schedules change, since we spend less time eating. The confidence we gain encourages us to try new activities, and we discover skills we never knew we had.

Because we are no longer disgusted with ourselves, we get along better with those around us. As we learn to give up fear and self-centeredness, we find ourselves turning out better work and performing well in areas where before we had been weak.

Spiritual growth is the key to the new developments in all parts of our lives. We have become more closely connected to the source of creativity, so we are more alive. Others respond positively to our new sincerity and enthusiasm.

That we may continue to grow and learn gives us quiet satisfaction. For this, we are grateful to OA and our Higher Power.

Thank You, Lord, for newness of life.
Like this, the program gave me a new life. It is as good as I choose to work my program. I needed to get rid of the Self, and learn to love ourselves for where we are in today.

http://farm-cartoon-animals.cliparto...=400&width=400

MajestyJo 04-27-2017 08:33 PM

Quote:

Thought for the Day
Thursday, APR27

Food Is No Cure all

In spite of what we compulsive overeaters may have believed, food does not solve our emotional or spiritual problems. Food cannot fill our hearts with love, no matter how much we eat. Rather than erasing our difficulties with family, friends, and self, overeating multiplies them.

If our problem were that of not having enough to eat, food would be the solution. It is possible for us to be overweight and undernourished at the same time, if we are eating the wrong foods. For most of us, though, the difficulty is simply that we like to eat too much. The only cure all for that problem is eating less!

The good news for compulsive overeaters is that a life of abstinence and control is possible. We do not have to be destroyed by our disease. When we recognize that we have been using food to do what only our Higher Power can do, we are on the way to recovery. Instead of turning to food to ease our aches and satisfy our cravings, we turn to God.

Thank You for being there for me.
This is how I feel about myself. I have gained 15 lbs. a lot of it is fluid, but the rest is from my honey bun addiction. God and I are working on this.

https://tse4.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.p...=0&w=196&h=161

MajestyJo 05-03-2017 09:23 AM

Quote:

Thought for the Day

Wednesday, MAY3

Accepting Normality

It is normal to eat three meals a day. As compulsive overeaters, we made ourselves exceptional by refusing to follow the usual pattern of meals. Instead, we wanted to follow the whims and demands of our irrational appetites. For some reason, what was good enough for others was not good enough for us - we had to have more.

Now that we have accepted a reasonable food plan, we can learn to eat normally. We do not need extra food. We know that our true strength and nourishment come from our Higher Power, not from an overload of calories.

When we stop overeating compulsively, we no longer need to feel guilty about our eating habits or different from those around us. We can accept the fact that we are normal people, not better than everyone else and not worse either. Like those around us, we have strengths and weaknesses, and we are making progress. It is a relief to accept normality.

May I keep a realistic perspective on myself.
We have a disease of perception, so I ask quite regularly for my perception to be healed. Not sure about normal, perhaps what is normal for me.

http://angelwinks.ca/images/humorpod/humorpod87.gif

MajestyJo 05-14-2017 04:44 AM

Quote:

Thought for the Day
Sunday, MAY14

Abstinence Plus

Most of us find it impossible to maintain our abstinence and our weight loss if we do not continue to grow spiritually and emotionally. The Steps are not something we take once and for all and then put aside. We continue to work on ourselves.

It is possible to reach and maintain a weight goal, but the emotional and spiritual goals of the program are never fully attained. We keep striving for progress, in spite of temporary setbacks.

All of us need something to live for, something that captures our imagination and beckons us on to greater efforts. Achievement in the areas of study and work, commitments to family and community, development of talents and interests--all serve as motivation. Usually, though, we require something more to keep us going. When we become aware of the Spirit, which is constantly available to us through contact with our Higher Power, we are tuned in to the source of our abstinence and of our life.

May I remember to live by the Spirit.
What a powerful statement. I had to come to a spiritual reason to quit smoking. I couldn't quit because of fears and warnings. I wanted to be a clean clear channel. I need to adapt this same feeling to my eating disorder. I have regained the 20 lbs. that I lost. It is called a honey bun addiction.

http://angelwinks.ca/images/iq/qcsmilingsun1.jpg

MajestyJo 05-19-2017 10:33 PM

Quote:

Thought for the Day
Friday, MAY19

Resentments

When we hang on to resentments, we poison ourselves. As compulsive overeaters, we cannot afford resentment, since it exacerbates our disease. If we do not get rid of our anger and bitterness, we will suffer more than anyone. Seeking revenge will harm ourselves in the long run.

Many of us have carried around old grudges, which caused us to reach for food when we thought about them. We don't need the food and we don't need the grudges, either. When we give away the resentments, we are that much lighter in body and in spirit. Now that we have found OA, we have a way to get rid of the animosity and indignation, which has been poisoning our system.

Taking inventory and making amends is an essential part of burying resentments. We need to first be consciously aware of them before we can give them away. These steps usually need to be taken again and again as negative material threatens our physical, emotional, and spiritual well-being.

Take away my resentments, Lord.
An amend isn't saying "I am sorry." It means making changes so we don't continue making the same mistakes over and over again and expecting different results.

MajestyJo 05-25-2017 06:25 PM

Quote:

Thought for the Day
Thursday, MAY25

Delayed Gratification

One of the advantages of maturity is the ability to delay gratification of desires and needs. It is this ability, which makes possible the achievement of long-range goals and plans. We compulsive overeaters have permitted childish demands for immediate satisfaction to drive us into addictive habits. We still have some emotional growing up to do.

When we come to the OA program, we accept a reasonable plan for the gratification of our appetite and hunger. We know that we will eat three times a day, and we choose our food. As our appetite adjusts to eating smaller amounts less frequently, we may experience some discomfort. As maturing individuals, we can accept this discomfort in the interest of a healthier, more attractive body and a saner, more peaceful mind. Instead of having to have what we want now, this minute, we are able to wait until the appropriate time.

Working the Steps makes us aware of the emotional growing we need to do in order to have more satisfying relationships with other people. Here, too, we often have to delay immediate satisfaction in order to achieve larger, more important goals.

I pray for emotional and spiritual maturity.
When I saw this title, it reminded me that I not only drank to someone else's health, I ate too. How many times I said, "Don't tell me and took another bite."

MajestyJo 05-28-2017 02:50 AM

Quote:

Thought for the Day

Sunday, MAY 28

Patience

The person who is a compulsive overeater is often someone who wants what he or she wants right now, if not before. When we take inventory, many of us realize that impatience is one of our most troublesome character defects. We are impatient with other people when they do not see things our way, we are impatient with the slowness of weight loss, and we are impatient when we do not seem to be making emotional and spiritual progress.

Cultivating patience helps us tremendously with our program. We grow in patience when we give God control of our lives and decide to live according to His timetable. If we accept what happens to us as the will of a Higher Power, we are better able to treat even the unpleasant situations as learning experiences. We become more patient with ourselves when we view our failures as opportunities to try again.

Fruitful growth is slow. Only weeds grow quickly. Acknowledging powerlessness builds the patience to persevere with what we can do and the faith to leave the results to God.
Trusting in You, may I learn patience.
The failure is in the not trying. That has where I have been in regard to my honey buns. I will have to start again and pray for the willingness to be willing.

MajestyJo 06-01-2017 09:24 PM

Quote:

Thought for the Day
Thursday, JUNE1

Take an Idea Break

When we are bored or tired, it has been our habit to reach for something to eat or drink. Food has been our number one stimulant.

There are many sources besides the refrigerator to which we may turn for refreshment. We may stimulate our minds instead of our appetites by reading something worthwhile and thought provoking. We may listen to music or simply take a good look out the nearest window. In addition to intellectual stimulation, there are many sensory feasts besides food, which we may have been neglecting.

During our recovery from compulsive overeating, we grow less obsessed with food and more interested in the world around us. When our brains are no longer dulled with refined sugar, we take pleasure in new thoughts and ideas. The next time we find ourselves thinking about something to eat, let's try consuming something pleasant with our eyes, ears, or minds instead of our mouths.

May I enjoy fully all of the senses and abilities You have given me.
Lately, I seem to have been missing good sense. As I shared in my check in today, my God and I have to have a wee talk. Not just about food, but money too.

https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.J...=0&w=170&h=167

MajestyJo 06-04-2017 11:44 PM

Quote:

Thought for the Day
Sunday, JUNE4

Avoiding Extremes

The Greek ideal of the golden mean is a concept, which we would do well to ponder. Most of us are extremists, as evidenced by our compulsiveness. We are all or nothing people, and our histories are full of times when we "couldn't believe we ate the whole thing."

Before coming to OA, many of us alternated between starving and bingeing. Either we attempted a diet so limited and stringent that it was impossible to follow for very long, or we indulged our appetites by eating everything that did not move.

OA endorses the practice of moderation. Learning it is difficult for most of us and something, which we have been unable to do by ourselves. The members who maintain their abstinence and have a strong program serve as guides and sponsors for those of us who are beginners. Old and new, all of us rely every day on our Higher Power to lead us in the way of moderation.

May I avoid extremes and learn moderation.
Never had the concept of just one and seldom stopped at just two.

http://www.angelwinks.ca/images/snowglobes/dee16.gif

MajestyJo 06-07-2017 03:22 AM

Quote:

Thought for the Day
Wednesday, JUNE 7

Perfectionism

Part of the ego reduction necessary to our recovery is the acceptance of the fact that we are not and never will be perfect. Perfectionism gets in the way of recovery because it imposes impossible, unrealistic goals which guarantee failure. If we do not think we have to be perfect, then we can accept our mistakes as learning experiences and be willing to try again.

Deepening acquaintance with our Higher Power is good insurance against perfectionism. We come to believe that He accepts and loves us as we are, and this gives us the courage and humility to accept ourselves. We are not perfect, but we are growing. In spite of our weaknesses, we can serve others according to God's plan for our lives. Accepting our own limitations makes us more tolerant of the faults and weaknesses of those around us. Together, we progress. I am thankful that I don't need to be perfect.
This was a hard one for Ms. Perfection. I had to remind her that she was in recovery now.

MajestyJo 06-09-2017 10:28 PM

Quote:

Thought for the Day
Friday, JUNE 9

Greedy Thinking, Greedy Eating

Contentment comes from being satisfied with what we have. Since "bread" is a symbol for material things, it is easy to use food as a substitute for the money and possessions we may avidly desire. Overeating can be a form of compensation for the enticing worldly wealth, which seems so attractive, yet is out of our grasp.

When we desire abstinence more than we desire material things, we are able to maintain it. When we allow material cares and concerns to obscure our spiritual goals, then our abstinence is in danger! Each of us is confronted with the choice of striving to satisfy physical cravings or working toward spiritual ideals. We cannot serve two masters.

We may have thought that we could get rid of our greed for food and continue to indulge our greed for other material things. Our Higher Power does not work that way. He demands nothing less than complete allegiance.

May I serve You without reservations.
Like the last line. Doing service is a big part of recovery. Getting out of Self and helping others.

The title affirms my thoughts about addiction. If I don't feed my body, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually, as well as physically, I get needy. When I get needy, I get greedy. Some is good, more is better. Wrong!!!

:cry:

https://tse4.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.a...=0&w=300&h=300

MajestyJo 06-13-2017 02:53 PM

Quote:

Thought for the Day
Tuesday, JUNE13

Research

In OA meetings, we sometimes hear reports of "research" done by a member who breaks abstinence in order to find out whether he or she is still a compulsive overeater. The experiment invariably proves that once a compulsive overeater, always a compulsive overeater. Among the results are remorse, regained weight, and weakened control.

It has been said that we are like someone who has lost a leg. We do not grow a new one. We can, nevertheless, learn to live with our disability if we are willing to abstain and follow the OA program. Most of us find that we cannot go back to eating binge foods moderately, but we can avoid them. We are like the alcoholic who can lead a normal, satisfying life as long as he or she stays away from alcohol.

Further research is not necessary. By accepting our need for a disciplined eating plan, we can benefit from the experience of those who have been in the program longer than we.

May I remember that further research is unnecessary.
Acceptance is the key to all my problems today. I like to think challenges, they can be overcome. I have started losing some of the weight caused by all the swelling. I knew it was that, but when I looked at my self, all I could see and think was FAT!!! I had to learn to love myself no matter where I was at and be my own best friend.

http://www.angelwinks.ca/images/icq/...asurebears.jpg

MajestyJo 06-18-2017 11:50 AM

Quote:

Thought for the Day
Sunday, JUNE 18

Homesickness

There are certain foods, which we will always associate with home and which make us nostalgic to recapture the past. No matter how much we eat, we cannot go back home and again be the babies and little children we were. No food will satisfy our longing for the love, care, and safety most of us associate with home. Even (and especially) if our dependency needs were not met when we were young, eating unnecessary food now will not help.

As we grow in relationship with our Higher Power, we begin to believe that home lies ahead, rather than behind us. We begin to see that our homesickness is for a spiritual state instead of a physical place. Wherever we are, we are pilgrims and travelers, not sure of our final destination but drawn toward something more than what we know in this world. We sense that though we are in the world, we are not of it, that we are homesick for a spiritual fulfillment.

May our homesickness bring us closer to You.
Interesting, never thought of it in this way. know I can have spiritual hunger and void, but never saw things in this light.

Homesickness for me was my mother's home made bread and buns. She cooked meat, potatoes, and veggies to perfection and was a dream baker. Made her cakes from scratch and tasted as light and much better than anything that came out of a box. Very seldom boxed foods came into our house unless is was cereal, or things like cornstarch, baking soda, and salt.

https://tse4.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.o...=0&w=300&h=300

MajestyJo 06-22-2017 06:38 PM

Quote:

Thought for the Day
Thursday, JUNE22

God Is a Verb

We cannot contain our Higher Power at a fixed point or in a closed system. However we may understand God, our understanding is always limited. The Power that rescues us from compulsive overeating is an active force, which constantly beckons us to move on. What we were to do yesterday is past; a new day brings new challenges and opportunities.

Our compulsion had us trapped in a pattern of self-destructive repetition. We did the same dumb thing over and over again. When we turn our will and our lives over to the care of God, as we understand Him, we are linking up with the source of newness and creativity. God moves, and if we are linked with Him, we also move. His spirit changes us, and what we thought and did yesterday is not adequate to the demands of today.

Trusting our Higher Power means acting according to His promptings. We follow Him as He leads us into new tasks and activities and ideas. We learn from experience that He is always more than adequate for our needs.

May I follow where You lead.
Love the title of this. It means I need to get active in service. We each have our own individuals gifts to bring to the rooms of recovery. Just being at a meeting and occupying a chair carries a great message to the newcomer.

http://www.angelwinks.ca/images/dis9.jpg

MajestyJo 06-24-2017 11:33 PM

Quote:

Thought for the Day
Saturday
JUNE24
previous book
next book
A Program for Living

The OA program does much more than promote our recovery from compulsive overeating, essential as that is. It gives us a structure for our daily lives. Before OA, we chased illusions and despaired when they let us down. Now we have a concrete plan of action for living richer, fuller lives.

We have found like-minded friends who help and encourage us. Instead of isolating ourselves and consuming, we are experiencing the fellowship of sharing. We find that the more we contribute to OA, the more we get out of it.

Practicing the Twelve Steps involves every aspect of our lives. We cannot be honest in our efforts to work this program without being honest in all our affairs. What we learn about ourselves through OA can be applied to our other activities as well. We were eating compulsively because we did not know how to cope with the rest of life. As we become better equipped for living through the guidance of our Higher Power, we recover from our disease.

Bless our program, we pray.
So grateful for the program. It is a new way of life. As it says, "It can be applicable to all areas of our recovery."

MajestyJo 06-27-2017 11:28 PM

Quote:

Thought for the Day
Tuesday, JUNE27

You Can Do It

If you really want what OA has to offer; there is nothing that can stop you from succeeding with the program. The program works if we work it. OA does not pass out recovery on a platter, but the tools for recovery are available and proven effective if we are willing to use them.

Go to a meeting today. Re-read your literature. Call another member. Call several members. Get a sponsor, if you do not already have one. Write out what is troubling you. Find a way to be of service to someone else. Abstain now.

Most important, take time to listen to your Higher Power. Ask for the spiritual insight, which you need. Remember that you are now committed to following God's will for your life, not your own way. Seek the inspiration that comes from the people and the books, which lift up your spirit and show you the way. Then follow.

Lead me, Lord.
This reminds me of an old hymn that says, "Lead me, guide me along the way." I don't have to travel this journey alone. My HP is with me along with the friends I find in the people in the fellowship(s) along the way.

MajestyJo 06-29-2017 08:37 PM

Quote:

Thought for the Day
Thursday, JUNE29

The Joy of Abstaining

For someone who has suffered the physical, emotional, and spiritual anguish of compulsive overeating, abstaining is not a restriction but a release. We are released from indigestion, lethargy, fat, and the torment of never-satisfied craving.

If we dwell on the negative aspects of abstaining, such as the foods we are not eating, we will be unhappy. If we continue to concentrate on food, rather than on life and the spirit, we will find it difficult to abstain. The OA program gives us a new set of priorities and opens the door to new life if we are willing to leave our preoccupation with food outside and walk in.

It is good to feel full of energy rather than full of food. It is satisfying to discover new ways to give. There is deep joy in day-by-day spiritual growth. All of these joys become ours through abstaining.

We give thanks for the joy of abstaining.
Need to read this today, have been cutting back on my honey buns. Went today and they had none. They are doing me a favor, in one way I am glad and in the other way I am sad.

MajestyJo 07-01-2017 07:45 PM

For July readings go to : http://www.hazeldenbettyford.org/tho...od-for-thought

http://angelwinks.ca/images/iq/qcgirl401.jpg

MajestyJo 07-01-2017 07:48 PM

Quote:

Thought for the Day
Saturday, JULY 1

Saying No

There are times when all of us find it difficult to say no. Even though we realize intellectually that we cannot have and do everything, we have trouble saying no to the foods, activities, and people that are not good for us.

Abstaining means saying "No, thank you" when offered something not on our food plan. We may think that we are afraid of hurting someone else's feelings by our refusal, but usually it is our own compulsive desire that prevents us from giving a firm no. Our sanity and health are more important than pleasing whoever is offering what we should not have.

As we work the program, we become more aware of the people and activities that use up our energies unnecessarily. Avoiding them gives us more time and strength for what means most to us. Learning when and how to say no is a very important part of our recovery. Most often, the person we need to say no to is ourself.

I pray for the strength to say no to what is not good for me.
God and I are still working on this. Eating Sweet and Salty popcorn as I am posting.

Be sure your sins will find you out. :(

http://angelwinks.ca/images/animated...tedpod1090.gif

MajestyJo 07-05-2017 05:49 PM

Quote:

Thought for the Day
Wednesday, JULY5

Ignore the Craving

Old habits die hard, and for a long time we may experience our old craving for that "small," compulsive bite. The craving will not hurt us, and eventually it will pass if we ignore it. If we give in to the craving, it does not go away but becomes stronger. To feed the craving is to pour gasoline on a fire.

When we experience the craving for unnecessary food, we need to find something else to occupy our attention. If possible, we should physically remove ourselves from the tempting situation. If that is impossible, we need to ask our Higher Power for the strength to remain abstinent and to ignore the demands of our over blown appetite. God never allows us to be tempted beyond our ability to endure. He is always here to support us when we turn and ask for help.

May I listen to You and ignore harmful cravings.
As the slogan says, "This too shall pass." I think I heard that if we don't feed into the cravings, acknowledge and let them be, they will pass in about 10 min., maybe faster if we turn the all over to our Higher Power.

http://www.angelwinks.ca/images/snow...bwithart37.gif

MajestyJo 07-10-2017 04:45 AM

Quote:

Thought for the Day
Monday, JULY 10

A Progressive Illness

It is the experience of recovering compulsive overeaters that the illness is progressive. The disease does not get better; it gets worse. Even while we abstain, the illness progresses. If we were to break our abstinence, we would find that we had even less control over our eating than before.

Continued abstinence is our only means of health and sanity. We well remember the misery and despair that we felt when we were overeating, and we do not want to feel that way again. Abstaining from one compulsive bite is a small price to pay for health and sanity.

When we find ourselves thinking thoughts, which in the past have preceded loss of control, we need to realize the great danger that lies in a relapse. The OA program has saved us from the destruction of compulsive overeating, but our disease is still alive. Our program needs to be foremost in our minds every day if we are to continue recovering.

Do not let me forget my illness.
We forget that our disease is progressive, when we slip, we are right back to where we were before or find ourselves worse than we had been and had become quite glutinous. My problem is that I don't eat enough. It is still the thinking behind the eating, the same as it was with my drinking, my pill addiction, and quitting cigarettes.

It is all a disease that leads to the same soul sickness. I can't, my God can, just for today, I choose to let Him.

MajestyJo 07-14-2017 01:06 AM

Quote:

Thought for the Day
Friday, JULY 14

Energize, Don't Tranquilize

Food is nourishment for our bodies, not a drug. When we overeat, we sap our energy and dull our responses. Too much food makes us lazy and lethargic. We should eat for energy, not oblivion.

If we have been using food as a narcotic to temporarily deaden the pain of living, then we need to learn other ways to cope. Much of our pain is needless, brought on by egocentric fears and demands. If we accept the fact that we cannot change another person's behavior, then we will not hurt ourselves by anger at what that person does.

At the same time, we will learn to remove ourselves from people and situations, which cause us unnecessary pain. We do not have to be martyrs! Abstinence gives us the energy to make positive changes.

A certain amount of pain, both physical and emotional, is unavoidable. Often, it accompanies growth. To tranquilize ourselves with food is to impede growth.

May I remember to eat for energy instead of oblivion.
They often say, it isn't always about what you eat, but what is eating you. We eat to stuff our feelings, often looking for comfort when in chaotic situations and it helps us to stuff our feelings about things we do not want to address.

MajestyJo 07-17-2017 12:02 AM

Quote:

Thought for the Day
Sunday, JULY 16

Hard Right or Easy Wrong?

We are constantly faced with choices, and often we are tempted to follow the way of least resistance. In our dealings with others and ourselves it is usually easier to say yes than no, but yes is not always the best answer. If we are too permissive, we become lax and ineffective.

The problem with taking the easy way is that it usually ends up being harder in the long run. If we do not control our eating, we will have all of the problems of obesity. If we do not limit our spending, we will eventually lack funds for what we need. If we do not follow moral and ethical principles, our lives become chaotic and we live in constant fear and tension.

Although choosing the hard right is difficult, it is by exercising our ethical muscles that we become strong and gain self-respect.

By Your grace, may I make the right choices.
Have always looked at myself at 'fat' and my son says, "You are not fat Mom." I was comparing, instead of identifying. I started looking around and found a lot of obese women, but the fact for me is, "Am I at my healthy weight." The answer was no. I am not as young as I use to be. Carrying a lot of weight around is not healthy, especially now that my heart is weak. I don't plan to diet, but I am going to try to make healthy choice.

I have to turn my thinking over to my Higher Power.

MajestyJo 07-20-2017 10:44 PM

Quote:

Thought for the Day
Thursday, JULY 20

Turning Toward the Light

Plants, as they grow, automatically turn toward the light. People can choose between light or darkness. The OA program is available to us, but we may choose whether or not we will follow it. Our Higher Power is also available to us, if we choose to seek His will.

Before we found OA, we wandered around in the darkness of compulsive overeating. Now that we see glimmers of light, we need to turn ourselves in the direction from which the light is coming. Working the program requires taking the time and effort to change our routine. The light is here, but we need to turn away from darkness and open ourselves to it.

As we examine ourselves in the light that comes from our Higher Power through OA, we begin to see more clearly where we should make changes and how we may find health and peace.

Grant us grace to turn toward Your light.
I can't, my God can.

MajestyJo 07-25-2017 01:47 AM

Quote:

Thought for the Day
Tuesday, JULY 25

Gifts

The OA program is a gift to us from our Higher Power. Without it, we would still be bogged down in compulsive overeating with no solution in sight. Our fellowship gives us the hope and love we need to sort ourselves out and begin to live a new life.

Recovery through abstinence is the gift, which we are offered every day. In order to receive it, we need to be sincere and earnest in our efforts to work the program. We can count on God's support if we are willing to go to any lengths to stop eating compulsively.

With gratitude for these gifts from our Higher Power, we are able to give back what has come to us. We share our program and give our time and abilities where we see a need that we can fill. The more we give, the more we receive. God's abundance is inexhaustible.

We thank You for Your gifts.
It is nice to be affirmed with a reading, which I see after I type my post in the Topic of the Week.

MajestyJo 07-27-2017 07:49 PM

Quote:

You are reading from the book Food for Thought

Living Is a Privilege

When we were overeating, how often did we drag ourselves out of bed wondering how we were going to make it through the day? Many of us felt that life was treating us unfairly, and we blamed those around us for our misery. We may have thought we believed in a Power greater than ourselves, but we were unable to apply the belief so that it made a difference in the way we were living. Trying to manage our own life pushed us further and further into despair.

The OA program shows us how to commit our will and our life to the management of God. We stop trying to "go it alone," and we listen for His direction. By the grace of our Higher Power, we abstain from compulsive overeating one day at a time, and we walk a new way of humility and obedience.

Little by little, we recover in mind and body, and we no longer feel crushed by an uncaring fate. We accept each day as a gift from the hand of God, and we live it to the best of our ability.

Thank You for the privilege of living and abstaining today.
Like it says, I could go into the poor mes today, but in truth, I am moving much better than I though I would be able to and I am not hurting as much as I thought I would. When you look at things from a point of gratitude, things don't seem so bad.

MajestyJo 08-01-2017 06:28 PM

Quote:

Thought for the Day
Tuesday, AUGUST 1

Promptings

If we are listening, we will hear promptings from the inner voice. Often they are suggestions for small acts of kindness and love. Sometimes they are urgings to do a difficult deed in order to correct a wrong or to apologize for a mistake. Whatever the prompting, we are free to ignore it or act on it.

Often, ignoring the prompting would appear to be the easiest course. Why should we go out of our way to help someone else, particularly if that person is a stranger? Apologies are frequently embarrassing and deflate our pride. Reaching out to someone with love makes us vulnerable to rejection, and we fear exposure.

In the long run, to ignore the promptings of our inner voice is to commit spiritual suicide. These promptings are intended for our growth, and if we do not grow in love, we will atrophy and decay. Through the Twelve Steps, our Higher Power leads us to do many things, which we would prefer to avoid, but which ensure our recovery.

I pray for willingness to follow the promptings of the inner voice.
This reminds me of my co-sponsor who said, "Go within, you have the answers. At the time, I didn't know what she meant. It took practice and a lot of believing and trusting myself, that those words were God given.

MajestyJo 08-06-2017 04:36 AM

Quote:

Food For Thought

Planting Seeds

The closer we walk with our Higher Power, the more effective our Twelfth Step work is. We always remember that the best thing we can do for other compulsive overeaters is to maintain our own abstinence. Beyond that, we are given opportunities to spread the word as we go about our daily activities.

Mentioning what OA is doing for us may open the door to a new life for one of our friends. It may be a casual acquaintance or even a stranger who needs to hear about the program. Our instincts can guide us as to the best time and place to share news of our recovery.

Often, we may not know what effect, if any; our witness has had on another person. We may be annoyed if we are unable to “sell” the program to someone we think should have it. The results of our Twelfth Step work are in the hands of our Higher Power, and positive effects may show up long after we have planted a seed.

Show me where I may plant seeds of recovery.
Like this. We never know where the seeds will take root. All we have to do is plant them and leave them up to the Universe as to how they will grow.

You never know when a word will be heard. The other day I said to a taxi driver, "I am tired and I still have a meeting to go to. He said, "What kind of meeting." I said a NA meeting, next month I will be clean and sober for 26 years. Hopefully that see will be taken under perusal and he will remember if and when he needs it for himself or passes it on to someone else.

MajestyJo 08-15-2017 11:49 PM

Quote:

Thought for the Day
Tuesday. AUG 15

Inner Tigers

What we fear facing and dealing with is often inside. We may transfer our fear and irritation to external circumstances and the people around us, when what we need to do is look inside. Usually, we are our own worst enemy.

Our fears go back to a time when we were very young and relatively helpless. We may still be afraid of rejection, of being inferior, of being hurt with no one to take care of us. We may have an irrational fear of economic insecurity, which comes from a time when we were aware of financial problems but were too young to understand them.

Whether our inner tigers are real or made out of paper, we need to face them instead of eating to appease them. As we recover from compulsive overeating, many of the fears, which we had tried to bury with food, come to consciousness. With the Power greater than ourselves, we are able to tame the inner tigers.

Secure in Your care, may I not fear self-discovery.
Have to love the last line. That is why they say a fearless moral inventory. We find out who we are and what we are made up of, some good, some not so good, and we list them all. How can we know what to change if we don't know it is there? My God is with me. He is my rock and my comfort. The Bible says a lot of nice things.

Don't fear life, llive it in a clean and spiritual way.

MajestyJo 09-02-2017 10:31 PM

Quote:

Food For Thought

Stop Overeating, Start Living

Physical abstinence is just the beginning of the new life OA offers to us. When our Higher Power controls our life, we become free of the mental obsession with food. Then we are able to get down to the business of living, which we avoided with our illness.

Rather than reaching out with both hands to grab and hold on to all we can get, we begin to think in terms of giving and serving. We may start by sharing what OA has done for us with newcomers to the program. It is the newcomer who is our reminder of who we were and where we came from.

We find that though we can never eat spontaneously, we can live much more spontaneously than before. Because we feel less guilt and fear, we can experience the joy of acting from the center of our being. Knowing that our Higher Power is in control, we have trust and faith that the results of our actions will be okay. Each day becomes less of a trial and more of an opportunity.

Today, may I experience the spontaneity that comes with Your control.
Like this, "Your control" is much better to my way of thinking and saying "I can control myself." Control is an illusion that helped me to stay in my denial for years. If you have to control it, it is already out of control. Only through my Higher Power, who empowers me to do what I need to do for myself, one day at a time.

http://angelwinks.ca/images/iq/qc2bearswflowers3.jpg

MajestyJo 09-17-2017 12:52 AM

God Is Here

Quote:

September 17

Food For Thought

God Is Here

The Power, which restores us to sanity, is not something remote and abstract, which we must search for by reading books and performing great feats. Our Higher Power is with us constantly and is involved in the minute details of every day. We do not have to wait and work to become acceptable to God. He accepts us now, just as we are.

What gets in the way of our awareness of God is self. If we are narrowly focused on the concerns of ego and self-will, we ignore the presence of a Higher Power. Then we become weak and confused in our aloneness.

To be aware of the presence of God in our lives every day, all we need is the willingness to be open to Him. We find that He is indeed “closer than breathing and nearer than hands and feet.” What we may have spent years searching for or denying turns out to be the ground of our existence and the Power that sustains us every minute.

Increase my awareness of You, I pray.
Like this. Awareness does make a big difference, doesn't mean I always do something about it, but I change things more quickly when I have that awareness.

When I remember to bring my God into today, I must not forget he is there.

MajestyJo 09-25-2017 11:46 PM

Quote:

September 24

Food For Thought

Accepting Where We Are

Wherever we are when we come to this program is where we begin. Some of us have further to go along the road to self-actualization than others. No one of us ever arrives in this life. There is always more work to be done.

Believing that our Higher Power has a plan for each of us, we accept the place where He has put us right now. We do not expect to stay in this place, but it is a necessary part of our growth and development. We cannot move on until we understand where we are now and how we got here.

Our Fourth Step inventory gives us an opportunity to examine past actions, which have led to our current situation. We may not like what we discover, but an honest appraisal of our weaknesses and faults as well as our strengths is preparation for constructive change. Accepting where we are frees us from morbid obsession with the past and enables us to move on into the future.

May I accept where I am as the best place for me to be today.
Was sharing with a person yesterday about how life comes full circle and in that circle are many other circles. Each lesson is a circle, and we often need to determine where we are on that circle. Are we just beginning, finished healing childhood hurts and old tapes, are we learning to walk our talk, or are we ready to share our new found knowledge with others.

MajestyJo 10-07-2017 12:10 AM

Quote:

Thought for the Day
Saturday, OCT 7

Staying with God

God never forsakes us; we forsake Him. We become so involved in our concerns and activities that we forget to open our eyes and our hearts to His presence. We may be physically abstinent, but still allow food to have the most important place in our lives. If our Higher Power is not at the center of our lives, we will find it difficult (if not impossible) to be emotionally abstinent.

Emotional binges occur when we wander away from our Higher Power into self-centered preoccupation. Without His control, we lose our serenity. There will always be cause of conflict and frustration in our daily lives. How we handle these situations depends on our spiritual condition.

By ourselves, we cannot manage our own lives. Our behavior can be insane. It is through the Power greater than ourselves that we are led into order, sanity, and recovery. To stay with this Power is our salvation.

May we not forsake You.
My life is unmanageable, when managed by me.