Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums

Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/index.php)
-   Daily Recovery Readings (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   AA Thoughts For Today - April (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10922)

bluidkiti 04-01-2017 06:11 AM

AA Thoughts For Today - April

AA Thought for the Day

April 1

Watch
This is not an overnight matter. It should continue for our lifetime. Continue to watch for
selfishness, dishonesty, resentment, and fear. When these crop up, we ask God at once to
remove them. We discuss them with someone immediately and make amends quickly if
we have harmed anyone. Then we resolutely turn our thoughts to someone we can help.
- Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 84

Thought to Ponder . . .
Love and tolerance of others is our code.

AA-related 'Alconym' . . .
H O W = Honest, Open, Willing.

~*~A.A. Thoughts For The Day~*~

Prayer
"In AA we have found that the actual
good results of prayer are beyond question.
They are matters of knowledge and experience.
All those who have persisted have found
strength not ordinarily their own.
They have found wisdom beyond their
usual capability.
And they have increasingly found a peace of mind
which can stand firm in the face of
difficult circumstances."

Bill W., Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, p. 104
As Bill Sees It, p. 127

Thought to Consider . . .
Trying to pray is praying.

*~*~*AACRONYMS*~*~*
PUSH
Pray Until Something Happens

*~*~*~*~*^Just For Today!^*~*~*~*~*

Depression
Step Four: Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.
"If temperamentally we are on the depressive side, we are apt to be swamped with guilt and self-loathing. We wallow in
this messy bog, often getting a misshapen and painful pleasure out of it. As we morbidly pursue this melancholy activity,
we may sink to such a point of despair that nothing but oblivion looks possible as a solution. Here, of course, we have
lost all perspective, and therefore all genuine humility. For this is pride in reverse. This is not a moral inventory at all; it is
the very process by which the depressive has so often been led to the bottle and extinction."
1952, AAWS, Inc.; Printed 2005; Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, pg. 45

*~*~*~*~*^ Grapevine Quote ^*~*~*~*~*

"Despite the happy transcendence of the difficulties of yesterday and of today, we nevertheless deeply realize that our
negative traits are still with us, and always will be. Therefore our constant responsibility should be that of taking a
fearless inventory of our defects as we go along, the better to undertake their mending."
AA Co-Founder, Bill W., July 1965
"Responsibility Is Our Theme"
The Language of the Heart

~*~*~*~*^ Big Book & Twelve N' Twelve Quotes of the Day ^*~*~*~*~*

"How dark it is before the dawn! In reality that was the beginning of
my last debauch. I was soon to be catapulted into what I like to call
the fourth dimension of existence. I was to know happiness, peace, and
usefulness, in a way of life that is incredibly more wonderful as time passes."
Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, Bill's Story, pg. 8

Modem-to-modem or face-to-face, A.A.’s speak the language of the heart in all its power and simplicity.
Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, Working With Others, pg. xxiv

With a proper display of honesty and morality, we’d stand a better chance of getting what we really wanted.
-Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions p. 72

Misc. AA Literature - Quote

'Courage and Prudence'
When fear persisted, we knew it for what it was and we became able to handle it. We began to see each adversity as a
God-given opportunity to develop the kind of courage which is born of humility, rather than of bravado.
Prudence is a workable middle ground, a channel of clear sailing between the obstacles of fear on the one side and of
recklessness on the other. Prudence in practice creates a definite climate, the only climate in which harmony,
effectiveness, and consistent spiritual progress can be achieved.
'Prudence is rational concern without worry.' 1. GRAPEVINE, JANUARY 1962 - 2. TWELVE CONCEPTS, P. 65 - TALK, 1966

Prayer For The Day - Lord, Help me to remember that nothing is going to happen today that you and I together can't handle. Amen.

bluidkiti 04-02-2017 05:28 AM

AA Thought for the Day

April 2

Solid Ground
But be sure you are on solid spiritual ground before you start and that your motive
in going is thoroughly good. Do not think of what you will get out of the occasion.
Think of what you can bring to it. But if you are shaky, you had better work with
another alcoholic instead!
- Alcoholics Anonymous, p 102

Thought to Ponder . . .
A spiritual awakening is our greatest gift.

S O B E R = Spiritually On Beam; Everything's Right.

Humility
"Our AA program is spiritually centered.
Most of us have found enough humility
to believe in and depend upon God.
We have found that humility by facing the fact
that alcoholism is a fatal malady
over which we are individually powerless."
Bill W., Box 1980: The AA Grapevine, September 1945
The Language of the Heart, p. 7

Humility is not thinking less of yourself,
but thinking of yourself less.

*~*~*AACRONYMS*~*~*
YET
You'll End UpThere

Powerless
>From "The Vicious Cycle":
"When I finally got Hank on the telephone he fired me right then. This was when I really took my first good look at myself.
My loneliness was worse than it had ever been before, for now even my own kind had turned against me. This time it
really hurt, more than any hangover ever had. My brilliant agnosticism vanished, and I saw for the first time that those
who really believed, or at least honestly tried to find a Power greater than themselves, were much more composed and
contented than I had ever been, and they seemed to have a degree of happiness I had never known."
2001 AAWS, Inc., Fourth Edition; Alcoholics Anonymous, pgs. 228-29

"For all the slow mornings, there are just as many when I arise with an open mind, willing to see what God has in store
for me that day. Every chapter of self-pity ends when I am willing to abandon my pride and reach out to another alcoholic."
Xian, China, October 1994
"Distilled Spirits,"
AA Grapevine

"So our troubles, we think, are basically of our own making. They
arise out of ourselves, and the alcoholic is an extreme example of
self-will run riot, though he usually doesn't think so."
~Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, How It Works, pg. 62~

"It may seem incredible that these men are to become happy, respected,
and useful once more. How can they rise out of such misery, bad repute
and hopelessness? The practical answer is that since these things have
happened among us, they can happen with you. Should you wish them above
all else, and be willing to make use of our experience, we are sure
they will come."
~Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, A Vision For You, pg. 153~

Even the chief architect, standing in the ruins of his dream, could laugh at himself – and that is the very acme of humility.
-Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions p. 149

When I was tired and couldn't concentrate, I used to fall back on an affirmation toward life that took the form of simple
walking and deep breathing. I sometimes told myself that I couldn't do even this--that I was too weak. But I learned that
this was the point at which I could not give in without becoming still more depressed.
So I would set myself a small stint. I would determine to walk a quarter of a mile. And I would concentrate by counting
my breathing--say, six steps to each slow inhalation and four to each exhalation. Having done the quarter-mile, I found
that I could go on, maybe a half-mile more. Then another half-mile, and maybe another.
This was encouraging. The false sense of physical weakness would leave me (this feeling being so characteristic of
depressions). The walking and especially the breathing were powerful affirmations toward life and living and away from
failure and death. The counting represented a minimum discipline in concentration, to get some rest from the wear and
tear of fear and guilt. LETTER, 1960

Prayer For The Day: Guide me Lord. You are my heart. You are my strength. You are my hope. Teach me Lord, and
guide my way. I love You more each passing day. Amen.

bluidkiti 04-03-2017 06:45 AM

AA Thought for the Day

April 3

Readiness
Are we now ready to let God remove from us all the things which we
have admitted are objectionable? Can He now take them all—every one?
If we still cling to something we will not let go, we ask God to help us be willing.
- Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 76

Thought to Ponder . . .
The Three "P's" -- Pause, Pray, Proceed.

K I S S = Keep It Simple; Surrender.

Open Mind
"To get sober and to stay sober,
all you really need is a truly open mind.
Just resign from the debating society and
quit bothering yourself with such deep questions
as whether it was the hen or the egg that came first.
Again I say, all you need is the open mind."
Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, p. 26

Minds are like parachutes -
they won't work unless they're open.

*~*~*AACRONYMS*~*~*
ABC Acceptance, Belief, Change

Publicity
>From "The Three Legacies of Alcoholics Anonymous":
"Meanwhile, a great tide of public approval, stimulated by A.A.'s friends of press, radio, and in recent times television,
began to sweep in upon us and it has never ceased. Each month a clipping service feeds our Headquarters
scrapbooks with a very large amount of material. Writers constantly ask Headquarters to check their manuscripts. A.A.
members are helped to appear anonymously on radio and TV programs. The making of arrangements for publicity has
become a constantly increasing activity of our A.A. office. How many lives have been saved, how many years of misery
have thus been averted for thousands of alcoholics and their families, only God knows."
2001 AAWS, Inc.; Alcoholics Anonymous Comes of Age, pgs. 206-07

"In AA ... I was once again able to hear the sounds of nature. I looked at a pine tree one day and began to cry at how
beautiful it was. I learned to laugh again."
Marina, California, October 1994
"Birches,"
AA Grapevine

"We, in our turn, sought the same escape with all the desperation of
drowning men. What seemed at first a flimsy reed, has proved to be
the loving and powerful hand of God. A new life has been given us
or, if you prefer, "a design for living" that really works."
~Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, There Is A Solution, pg. 28~

"An alcoholic in his cups is an unlovely creature."
~Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, Bill's Story, pg. 16~

For it is only by accepting and solving our problems that we can begin to get right with ourselves and with the world
about us and with Him who presides over us all.
-Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions p. 125

Atmosphere of Grace
Those of us who have come to make regular use of prayer would no more do without it than we would refuse air, food,
or sunshine. And for the same reason. When we refuse air, light, or food, the body suffers. And when we turn away
from meditation and prayer, we likewise deprive our minds, our emotions, and our intuitions of vitally needed support.
As the body can fail its purpose for lack of nourishment, so can the soul. We all need the light of God's reality, the
nourishment of His strength, and the atmosphere of His grace. To an amazing extent the facts of A.A. life confirm this
ageless truth. TWELVE AND TWELVE, PP. 97-98

Prayer For The Day: A Prayer for Being Grateful - Lord God, may we be grateful for our lot, and compassionate toward
all those who are suffering every kind of distress at this difficult time. May we hold back nothing, and hasten to be the
ministers of prayer and mercy, like the disciples of Him who went about doing good in times of need.

bluidkiti 04-04-2017 06:37 AM

AA Thought for the Day

April 4

Choice
When we became alcoholics, crushed by a self-imposed crisis we could not
postpone or evade, we had to fearlessly face the proposition that either
God is everything or else He is nothing. God either is, or He isn’t.
What was our choice to be?
- Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 53.

Thought to Ponder . . .
God seldom becomes a reality until God becomes a necessity.

B I G B O O K = Believing In God Beats Our Old Knowledge.

Sunlight
"When the thought was expressed to me
that there might be a God personal to me,
I didn't like the idea.
So my friend Ebby made what then seemed
a novel suggestion.
He said, 'Why don't you choose
your own conception of God?'
That statement hit me hard.
It melted the icy intellectual mountain
in whose shadow I had lived and shivered many years.
I stood in the sunlight at last."
Bill W., Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 12
As Bill Sees It, p. 313

Joy isn't the absence of pain-- it's the presence of God.

*~*~*AACRONYMS*~*~*
LET GO
Leave Everything To God, Okay?

Release
>From "On a Winter Day":
"I knew I had to have a new beginning, and this beginning had to be here. I could not start anywhere else. I had to let go
of the past and forget the future. As long as I held on to the past with one hand and grabbed at the future with the other
hand, I had nothing to hold on to today with. So I had to begin here, now.
"The next time I went back to my A.A. group, the "happy hypocrites" looked different to me. I began to see love in their
eyes, a greater warmth than I had ever seen before. I mentioned it to my sponsor, and he said, 'The reason you see
love in these people's eyes is because you are beginning to love them. The love that we see in their eyes is the
reflection of our own love. We have got to love to be loved.'--Decatur, Georgia"
1973 AAWS, Inc.; Came to Believe, 30th printing 2004, pg. 46

"I am responsible as a trusted servant to be informed -- my group expects and deserves that. That responsibility
requires me to take action, to do some reading, and to find out what the principles say -- not what I think ... The beautiful
thing about AA is that we don't have to reinvent the wheel. We have directions and guidelines that we can follow; they
were hammered out on the anvil of experience by those who have gone before us."
San Carlos, California, October 1994
"The Anvil of Experience,"
AA Grapevine

It is easy to let up on the spiritual program of action and rest on our laurels. We are headed for trouble if we do, for
alcohol is a subtle foe. We are not cured of alcoholism. What we really have is a daily reprieve contingent on the
maintenance of our spiritual condition. Pg. 85 - Into Action

"God has abundantly supplied this world with fine doctors,
psychologists, and practitioners of various kinds. Do not hesitate to
take your health problems to such persons. Most of them give
freely of themselves, that their fellows may enjoy sound minds and bodies."
~Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, The Family Afterward, pg. 133~

Prayer is the raising of the heart and mind to God – and in this sense it includes meditation.
-Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions p. 102

...In All Our Affairs
The chief purpose of A.A. is sobriety. We all realize that without sobriety we have nothing.
However, it is possible to expand this simple aim into a great deal of nonsense, so far as the individual member is
concerned. Sometimes we hear him say, in effect, 'Sobriety is my sole responsibility. After all, I'm a pretty fine chap,
except for my drinking. Give me sobriety, and I've got it made!'
As long as our friend clings to this comfortable alibi, he will make so little progress with his real life problems and
responsibilities that he stands in a fair way to get drunk again. This is why A.A.'s Twelfth Step urges that we 'practice
these principles in all our affairs.' We are not living just to be sober; we are living to learn, to serve, and to love. LETTER, 1966

Prayer For The Day: May all I do today begin with you, O Lord. Plant dreams and hopes within my soul and revive my tired spirit: be with me today. Be at my side and walk with me; be my support, that your hand may be seen in every action I take, that your goodness may be in every word I speak, and that your spirit may inhabit my every thought. Make my thoughts, my work, and my very life blessings for your kingdom. In Christ's name I pray, Amen.

bluidkiti 04-05-2017 07:38 AM

AA Thought for the Day

April 5

A New Life
Is sobriety all that we are to expect of a spiritual awakening? No, sobriety
is only a bare beginning; it is only the first gift of the first awakening.
If more gifts are to be received, our awakening has to go on.
- As Bill Sees It, p 8

Thought to Ponder . . .
Sobriety is not a destination, but an everlasting journey.

H J F = Happy, Joyous, Free.

AA Thought for the Day

April 5

Dropping Blame
Where other people were concerned, we had to drop the word "blame" from our speech and thought.
This required great willingness even to begin.
But once over the first two or three high hurdles, the course ahead began to look easier.
- Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, pp. 47-48

Thought to Ponder . . .
Praise loudly; blame softly.

A A = Altruistic Action.

Click here to read more Daily Recovery Readings - http://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2

Virtues
"We of AA are apt sometimes to brag
of the virtues of our fellowship.
Let us remember that none of these are earned virtues.
We have been forced into them, to begin with,
by the cruel lash of John Barleycorn.
We have adopted these attitudes, these practices,
this structure, not at first because we wished to
but because we had to.
But today I think we stand
willing to conform permanently and gladly
to the principles which experience,
under the grace of God,
has taught us."
Bill W., Alcoholics Anonymous Comes of Age, p. 224

Unless I accept my virtues,
I will be overwhelmed with my faults.

*~*~*AACRONYMS*~*~*
LET GO
Leave Everything To God, Okay?

Traditions
"You will remember that episode back in our living room on Clinton Street. That was the time when my group told me I
[Bill W.] could never become an A.A. professional. With nearly every Tradition much the same thing has happened. At
first, I obeyed because I had to; I would have lost my standing in A.A. if I had not. After a while I began to obey because I
saw that the Traditions were wise and right. While I conformed because it was right to do, I still resisted inwardly.
"This was particularly true of anonymity. Today I hope I have come to a time in my A.A. life when I can obey because I
really want to obey, because I really want the Traditions for myself as well as for A.A. as a whole."
2001 AAWS, Inc.; Alcoholics Anonymous Comes of Age, pg. 136

"My basic flaw had always been dependence -- almost absolute dependence -- on people or circumstances to supply
me with prestige, security, and the like. Failing to get these things according to my perfectionist dreams and
specifications, I had fought for them. And when defeat came, so did my depression."
AA Co-Founder, Bill W., January 1958
"The Next Frontier: Emotional Sobriety"

"Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get
well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in
God and clean house."
~Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, Working With Others, pg. 98~

"Our very lives, as ex-problem drinkers, depend upon our constant
thought of others and how we may help meet their needs."
Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, There Is A Solution, pg. 20

We become as open-minded to conviction and as willing to listen as the dying can be.
-Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions p. 24

Spiritual Kindergarten
We are only operating a spiritual kindergarten in which people are enabled to get over drinking and find the grace to go on living to better effect. Each man's theology has to be his own quest, his own affair.
When the Big Book was being planned, some members thought that it ought to be Christian in the doctrinal sense. Others had no objection to the use of the word 'God,' but wanted to avoid doctrinal issues. Spirituality, yes. Religion, no. Still others wanted a psychological book, to lure the alcoholic in. Once in, he could take God or leave Him alone as he wished.
To the rest of us this was shocking, but happily we listened. Our group conscience was at work to construct the most acceptable and effective book possible.
Every voice was playing its appointed part. Our atheists and agnostics widened our gateway so that all who suffer might pass through, regardless of their belief or lack of belief.
1. LETTER, 1954
2. A.A. COMES OF AGE, PP. 162, 163, 167

Prayer For The Day: Dear heavenly Father, I praise you for all of Your goodness to us as Your children. I am blessed to know You and to follow You. Lord, help me to make wise decisions in all the things that I daily face. Give me Your love for all that I meet. Lord, in all of my affairs, help me not to procrastinate in dealing with the responsibilities that are before me. I do need Your guidance to know the things that should be priorities in my life, as sometime I do not know what needs to be taken care of first. Help me, in all my daily activities at home and at the office, to demonstrate Your nature. I ask this in the name of our Lord, Jesus Christ. Amen.

bluidkiti 04-06-2017 05:37 AM

AA Thought for the Day

April 6

Daily Reprieve
It is easy to let up on the spiritual program of action and rest on our laurels.
We are headed for trouble if we do, for alcohol is a subtle foe.
What we really have is a daily reprieve contingent on the maintenance of our spiritual condition.
Every day is a day when we must carry the vision of God’s will into all of our activities.
- Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 85

Thought to Ponder . . .
Talking about the spiritual part of the program is like talking about the wet part of the ocean.

K I S S = Keeping It Simple, Spiritually.

*~A.A. Thoughts For The Day~*~

Working With Others
"Life will take on a new meaning.
To watch people recover, to see them help others,
to watch loneliness vanish,
to see a fellowship grow up about you,
to have a host of friends--
this is an experience you must not miss.
We know you will not want to miss it.
Frequent contact with newcomers and with each other
is the bright spot of our lives."
Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 89

Service is spirituality in action.

*~*~*AACRONYMS*~*~*
HELP
Hope, Encouragement, Love and Patience

Need
>From "An Open Heart":
"Each day that I try to have a desire to be sober and to remember to keep an open heart, love and help flow into me.
These bounties are unlimited in A.A. if we are fortunate enough to have the desire."
1973 AAWS, Inc.; Came to Believe, 30th printing 2004, pg. 51

"The good news is that anyone can become an old-timer if they're willing to be willing to change and follow some direction."
Menifee, California, July 2011
"A Matter of Time,"
AA Grapevine

"If there be divorce or separation, there should be no undue haste
for the couple to get together. The man should be sure of his
recovery. The wife should fully understand his new way of life. If
their old relationship is to be resumed it must be on a better basis,
since the former did not work. This means a new attitude and spirit
all around. Sometimes it is to the best interests of all concerned
that a couple remain apart. Obviously, no rule can be laid down.
Let the alcoholic continue his program day by day. When the time for
living together has come, it will be apparent to both parties."
Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, Working With Others, Page 99~

" I had always believed in a Power greater that myself. I had often
pondered these things. I was not an atheist. Few people really are, for
that means blind faith in the strange proposition that this universe
originated in a cipher and aimlessly rushes no where."
~Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, Bill's Story, pg. 10~

They do not drive by mandate; they lead by example.
-Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions p. 135

When Defects Are Less than Deadly
Practically everybody wishes to be rid of his most glaring and destructive handicaps. No one wants to be so proud that he is scorned as a braggart, nor so greedy that he is labeled a thief. No one wants to be angry enough to ruin his health. No one wants to be agonized by chronic envy or paralyzed by sloth.
Of course, most human beings don't suffer these defects at these rock-bottom levels, and we who have escaped such extremes are apt to congratulate ourselves. Yet can we? After all, Hasn't it been self-interest that has enabled most of us to escape? Not much spiritual effort is involved in avoiding excesses which will bring us punishment anyway. But when we face up to the less violent aspects of these very same defects, where do we stand then? TWELVE AND TWELVE, P. 66

Prayer For The Day: Lord, inspire me to give of my best and make good use of the talents you have given me. Show me how to be positive in attitude, appreciating and valuing others, always being ready to encourage and give praise. Sometimes I draw conclusions about people in terms of what I think is meant by “success” and “failure”, but the “failure” of one person might count as a great “success” of someone with other talents. Lead me never to judge people but to accept others as they are, knowing that it is together, each with our differences, that we build up your Kingdom. Amen.

bluidkiti 04-07-2017 07:28 AM

AA Thought for the Day

April 7

The Old Game
Inwardly he would give anything to take half a dozen drinks and get away with them. He will presently try
the old game again, for he isn’t happy about his sobriety. He cannot picture life without alcohol. Some day
he will be unable to imagine life either with alcohol or without it. Then he will know loneliness such as
few do. He will be at the jumping-off place. He will wish for the end.
- Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 152

Thought to Ponder . . .
When I share my story and remember the last days of my drinking,
I remember the desperation of selling the last pieces of my soul.

F A I L = From Adversity I Learn.

Fear
"At heart we had all been abnormally fearful.
It mattered little whether we had sat on the shore of life
drinking ourselves into forgetfulness
or had plunged in recklessly and willfully
beyond our depth and ability.
The result was the same -
all of us had nearly perished
in a sea of alcohol."
Bill W., Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, pp. 123-4

I didn't make it all the way to the beach
to drown in the sand.

*~*~*AACRONYMS*~*~*
F E A R
Fools Every Alcoholic Repeatedly.

Choices
>From "The Family Afterward":
"Many alcoholics are enthusiasts. They run to extremes. At the beginning of recovery a man will take, as a rule, one of
two directions. He may either plunge into a frantic attempt to get on his feet in business, or he may be so enthralled by
his new life that he talks or thinks of little else. In either case certain family problems will arise."
2001 AAWS, Inc., Fourth Edition; Alcoholics Anonymous, pgs. 126-26

"May those who come to know the truth never forget it."
Mulberry, Florida, June 2011
"This Wasted Life,"
AA Grapevine

"We alcoholics are sensitive people. It takes some of us a long time
to outgrow that serious handicap."
~Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, The Family Afterward, pg. 125~

"At the moment we are trying to put our lives in order. But this is not
an end in itself."
~Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, Into Action, pg. 77~

For we had started to get perspective on ourselves, which is another way of saying that we were gaining in humility.
-Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions p. 48

Self-Respect Through Sacrifice
At the beginning we sacrificed alcohol. We had to, or it would have killed us. But we couldn't get rid of alcohol unless we
made other sacrifices. We had to toss self-justification, self-pity, and anger right out the window. We had to quit the
crazy contest for personal prestige and big bank balances. We had to take personal responsibility for our sorry state
and quit blaming others for it.
Were these sacrifices? Yes, they were. To gain enough humility and self-respect to stay alive at all, we had to give up
what had really been our dearest possessions--our ambition and our illegitimate pride. A.A. COMES OF AGE, P. 287

Prayer For The Day: Lord God, you are my strength. Hold my hand in my weakness and teach my heart to fly. With
you, there's nothing to fear, nothing to worry about. Hold me tight in your embrace, so that I can be stronger than the
challenges in my life. Amen.

bluidkiti 04-08-2017 02:37 AM

AA Thought for the Day

April 8

Thoroughness
Calm, thoughtful reflection upon personal relations can deepen our insight. We can go
far beyond those things which were superficially wrong with us, to see those flaws which
were basic, flaws which sometimes were responsible for the whole pattern of our lives.
Thoroughness, we have found, will pay—and pay handsomely.
- 12 Steps & 12 Traditions, p. 80

Thought to Ponder . . .
My faults do not make me faulty; they make me human.

T H I N K = Thank Heavens, I Now Know.

Change
"Let us never fear needed change.
Certainly we have to discriminate between
changes for worse and changes for better.
But once a need becomes clearly apparent in an individual,
in a group, or in AA as a whole,
it has long since been found out
that we cannot stand still and look the other way."
Bill W., Box 1980: The AA Grapevine, July 1965
As Bill Sees It, p. 115

We're responsible for the effort - not the outcome.

*~*~*AACRONYMS*~*~*
C H A N G E
Choosing Honesty Allows New Growth Everyday.

Objectivity
"They comfort the melancholy one by first showing him that his case is not strange or different, that his character
defects are probably not more numerous or worse than those of anyone else in A.A. This the sponsor promptly proves
by talking freely and easily, and without exhibitionism, about his own defects, past and present. This calm, yet realistic,
stocktaking is immensely reassuring. The sponsor probably points out that the newcomer has some assets which can
be noted along with his liabilities. This tends to clear away morbidity and encourage balance. As soon as he begins to
be more objective, the newcomer can fearlessly, rather than fearfully, look at his own defects."
1952, AAWS, Inc.; Printed 2005; Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, pg. 46

"Awareness is the most accessible doorway to spirituality."
Emotional Sobriety II
Ames, Iowa, July 2010
"Binge Thinker,"
Emotional Sobriety II: The Next Frontier

If we are planning to stop drinking, there must be no reservation of any kind, nor any lurking notion that someday we will
be immune to alcohol.
Pg. 33 - More About Alcoholism

"We know what you are thinking. You are saying to yourself: "I'm
jittery and alone. I couldn't do that." But you can. You forget that
you have just now tapped a source of power much greater than yourself.
To duplicate, with such backing, what we have accomplished is only a
matter of willingness, patience and labor."
~Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, A Vision For You, pg. 163~

Whenever our pencil falters, we can fortify and cheer ourselves by remembering what A.A. experience in this Step has meant to others.
-Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions p. 82

Anger--Personal and Group Enemy
'As the book 'Alcoholics Anonymous' puts it, 'Resentment is the Number One offender,' It is a primary cause of relapses
into drinking. How well we of A.A. know that for us 'To drink is eventually to go mad or die.'
'Much the same penalty overhangs every A.A. group. Given enough anger, both unity and purpose are lost. Given still
more 'righteous' indignation, the group can disintegrate; it can actually die. This is why we avoid controversy. This is
why we prescribe no punishments for any misbehavior, no matter how grievous. Indeed, no alcoholic can be deprived of
his membership for any reason whatever.
'Punishment never heals. Only love can heal.' LETTER, 1966

Prayer For The Day: Dear Father, thank you for this day. Help me better myself and those around me.

bluidkiti 04-09-2017 07:13 AM

AA Thought for the Day

April 9

Humility
To those of us who have hitherto known only excitement, depression, or anxiety—in other words,
to all of us—this newfound peace is a priceless gift. Something new indeed has been added.
Where humility had formerly stood for a forced feeding on humble pie, it now begins to mean the
nourishing ingredient which can give us serenity.
- 12 Steps & 12 Traditions, p. 74

Thought to Ponder . . .
Humility is not thinking less of myself, but thinking of myself less.

S T E P = Something That Enhances Peace.

Vigilance
"Now that we're in AA and sober,
winning back the esteem of our friends
and business associates,
we find that we still need to
exercise special vigilance.
As an insurance against
the dangers of big-shot-ism,
we can often check ourselves by remembering
that we are today sober only by
the grace of God
and that any success we may be having
is far more His success than ours."
Bill W., Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, p. 92
As Bill Sees It, p. 19

"Vigilance will always be the price of survival."
Bill W., Box 1980: The AA Grapevine, November 1960.
The Language of the Heart, p. 317

*~*~*AACRONYMS*~*~*
BUT
Being Unconvinced Totally

ODAAT
>From "The Missing Link":
"Exactly how was I supposed to not drink if my girlfriend breaks up with me, or if my best friend dies, or even through
happy times like graduations, weddings, and birthdays. They suggested I could just stay sober one day at a time. They
explained that it might be easier to set my sights on the twenty-four hours in front of me and to take on these other
situations when and if they ever arrived. I decided to give sobriety a try, one day at a time, and I've done it that way ever since."
2001 AAWS, Inc., Fourth Edition; Alcoholics Anonymous, pg. 286-87

"Success is more a state of heart and mind than a sum total of material assets."
February 2007
"Change to Spare,"

"In thinking about our day we may face indecision. We may not be
able to determine which course to take. Here we ask God for
inspiration, an intuitive thought or a decision. We relax and take
it easy. We don't struggle. We are often surprised how the right
answers come after we have tried this for a while."
Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, Into Action, pg. 86

"Many doctors and psychiatrists agree with our conclusions. One of
these men, staff member of a world-renowned hospital, recently made
this statement to some of us: 'What you say about the general
hopelessness of the average alcoholic's plight is, in my opinion,
correct. As to two of you men, whose stories I have heard, there is no
doubt in my mind that you were 100% hopeless, apart from divine
help. Had you offered yourselves as patients at this hospital, I would
not have taken you, if I had been able to avoid it. People like you
are too heartbreaking. Though not a religious person, I have profound
respect for the spiritual approach in such cases as yours. For most
cases, there is virtually no other solution.'"
~Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, More About Alcoholism, pg. 43~

To those of us who have hitherto known only excitement, depression, or anxiety – in other words, to all of us – this
newfound peace is a priceless gift.
-Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions p. 74

The 'Slipper' Needs Understanding
'Slips can often be charged to rebellion; some of us are more rebellious than others. Slips may be due to the illusion
that one can be 'cured' of alcoholism. Slips can also be charged to carelessness and complacency. Many of us fail to
ride out these periods sober. Things go fine for two or three years--then the member is seen no more. Some of us
suffer extreme guilt because of vices or practices that we can't or won't let go of. Too little self-forgiveness and too little
prayer--well, this combination adds up to slips.
'Then some of us are far more alcohol-damaged than others. Still others encounter a series of calamities and cannot
seem to find the spiritual resources to meet them. There are those of us who are physically ill. Others are subject to
more or less continuous exhaustion, anxiety, and depression. These conditions often play a part in slips--sometimes
they are utterly controlling.' TALK, 1960

Prayer For The Day: Dear Lord, know with all thy heart that I love you and thank you for each day. Grant me mercy and forgive me when I am wrong.

bluidkiti 04-10-2017 07:02 AM

AA Thought for the Day

April 10

Two Alternatives
We were in a position where life was becoming impossible, and if we had passed
into the region from which there is no return through human aid, we had but two alternatives:
One was to go on to the bitter end, blotting out the consciousness of our intolerable situation
as best we could; and the other, to accept spiritual help.
- Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 25

Thought to Ponder . . .
I have learned that I did not get here a day early or a drink short.

H E L P = His Ever-Loving Presence.

Earnestness
"An alcoholic in his cups is an unlovely creature.
Our struggles with them are variously
strenuous, comic, and tragic.
One poor chap committed suicide in my home.
He could not, or would not, see our way of life.
There is, however, a vast amount of fun about it all.
I suppose some would be shocked at our
seeming worldliness and levity.
But just underneath there is
deadly earnestness.
Faith has to work twenty-four hours a day
in and through us,
or we perish."
Bill W., Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 92

Thought to Consider....
Laughter is the sound effect of recovery.

*~*~*AACRONYMS*~*~*
DEAD
Drinking Ends All Dreams

"Three blocks away from the main office we have a good-sized loft space where all shipping and mailing is done. This
activity now runs into tons of material a month. Six busy lads spend full time at it. Last year they shipped about 40,000
books and hundreds of thousands of pamphlets, many of them newly designed and edited largely through the work of
Ralph, our consultant on pamphlet literature. They mailed about 30,000 letters and bulletins and did huge quantities of
mimeographing. [c. 1959]"
2001 AAWS, Inc.; Alcoholics Anonymous Comes of Age, pg. 207

"Finally came April 1939. The book was done. Tales of recovery for its story section had been supplied by Dr. Bob and
his Akron brethren. Others were supplied by New Yorkers, New Jerseyites. One came in from Cleveland and another
from Maryland. Chapters had been read and discussed at meetings. I had thought myself the author of the text until I
discovered I was just the umpire of the differences of opinion. After endless voting on a title for the new work we had
decided to call it The Way Out. But inquiry by Fitz M., our Maryland alcoholic, at The Library of Congress disclosed the
fact that 12 books already bore that title. Surely we couldn't make our book the 13th. So we named it Alcoholics
Anonymous instead! Though we didn't know it, our movement then got its name -- a name which because of the
implication of humility and modesty has given us our treasured spiritual principle of anonymity."
AA Co-Founder, Bill W., July 1947
"Book Publication Proved Discouraging Venture"

"Thus was I convinced that God is concerned with us humans when we want
Him enough. At long last I saw, I felt, I believed. Scales of pride and
prejudice fell from my eyes. A new world came into view."
~Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, Bill's Story, pg. 12~

I was to sit quietly when in doubt, asking only for direction and strength to meet my problems as He would have me.
-Alcoholics Anonymous p. 13 (Bill’s Story)

Many of us also like the experience of an occasional retreat from the outside world where we can quiet down for an
undisturbed day or so of self-overhaul and meditation.
-Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions p. 89

The Forgotten Mountain
When I was a child, I acquired some of the traits that had a lot to do with my insatiable craving for alcohol. I was brought
up in a little town in Vermont, under the shadow of Mount Aeolus. An early recollection is that of looking up at this vast
and mysterious mountain, wondering what it meant and whether I could ever climb that high. But I was presently
distracted by my aunt who, as a fourth-birthday present, made me a plate of fudge. For the next thirty-five years I
pursued the fudge of life and quite forgot about the mountain.
When self-indulgence is less than ruinous, we have a milder word for it. We call it 'taking our comfort.' 1. A.A. COMES
OF AGE, PP. 52-53BR>2. TWELVE AND TWELVE, P. 67

Prayer For The Day: Dear Father, please protect me in my journey and light my way. Forgive me when I do wrong for I am trying.

bluidkiti 04-11-2017 07:12 AM

AA Thought for the Day

April 11

Dependence
Some of us have taken very hard knocks to learn this truth: Job or no job -- wife or no wife --
we simply do not stop drinking so long as we place dependence upon other people
ahead of dependence on God.
- Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 98

Thought to Ponder . . .
I cannot mend if I bend the truth.

G I F T = God Is Forever There.

Progress
"We claim spiritual progress rather than
spiritual perfection.
Our description of the alcoholic,
the chapter to the agnostic,
and our personal adventures before and after
make clear three pertinent ideas:
(a) That we were alcoholic and could not
manage our own lives.
(b) That probably no human power could
have relieved our alcoholism.
(c) That God could and would if He were sought."
Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 60

Every recovery from alcoholism
began with one sober hour.

*~*~*AACRONYMS*~*~*
BIG BOOK
Believing In God Beats Our Old Knowledge

Surrender
>From "God Is Good":
"Before A.A., I could not, or would not, admit I was wrong. My pride would not let me. And yet I was ashamed of me.
Caught in this conflict, I banished God from my life because I felt He asked me to adhere to a behavior pattern too high
for a man of my human frailty. Somehow, I believed that there could be no forgiveness of any failure, that God required
me to be all good. The moral of the story of the Prodigal Son eluded me.
"Since I thought trying was not enough, I stopped trying. That made me feel guilty. For a while, alcohol blotted out the
guilt. Then alcohol became the greatest cause of my guilt. I had to be beaten to a pulp physically, mentally and
emotionally, become bankrupt in all facets of my being, before I could give up my pride and admit defeat. Unfortunately,
admitting was not sufficient. My situation got worse until I had to surrender completely. From the depths of my hell, I
called out, "Oh God, help," and He led me to a place where I could find a way out of the maze and then sent me a group
of people to lead the way."
1973 AAWS, Inc.; Came to Believe, 30th printing 2004, pg.86

"I cannot afford to take sobriety for granted ... I count my blessings and enjoy them all, large and small."
Green Valley, Arizona, February 1978
"Summer of Discontent,"
Spiritual Awakenings II

"Once more: The alcoholic at certain times has no effective mental
defense against the first drink. Except in a few rare cases, neither
he nor any other human being can provide such a defense. His defense
must come from a Higher Power."
~Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, More About Alcoholism, pg. 43~

"We feel that elimination of our drinking is but a beginning. A much
more important demonstration of our principles lies before us in our
respective homes, occupations and affairs."
Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, There Is A Solution, pg. 19

To those of us who have hitherto known only excitement, depression, or anxiety – in other words, to all of us – this
newfound peace is a priceless gift.
-Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions p. 74

'The Spiritual Angel'
How often do we sit in A.A. meetings and hear the speaker declare, 'But I haven't yet got the spiritual angle.' Prior to this
statement, he has described a miracle of transformation which has occurred in him--not only his release from alcohol,
but a complete change in his whole attitude toward life and the living of it.
It is apparent to everyone else present that he has received a great gift, and that this gift is all out of proportion to
anything that may be expected from simple A.A. participation. So we in the audience smile and say to ourselves, 'Well,
that guy is just reeking with the spiritual angle--except that he doesn't seem to know it yet!' GRAPEVINE, JULY 1962

Prayer For The Day: Lord help me to remember that nothing is going to happen to me today that You and I together can't handle. Amen.

bluidkiti 04-12-2017 07:25 AM

AA Thought for the Day

April 12, 2017

Laughter
So we think cheerfulness and laughter make for usefulness. Outsiders are sometimes
shocked when we bust into merriment over a seemingly tragic experience out of the past.
But why shouldn’t we laugh? We have recovered, and have been given the power to help others.
- Alcoholics Anonymous, p 132

Thought to Ponder . . .
Laughter is the sound of recovery.

H J F = Happy, Joyous, Free.

Sharing
"In spite of the great increase in the size
and the span of this Fellowship,
at its core it remains simple and personal.
Each day, somewhere in the world,
recovery begins when one alcoholic talks
with another alcoholic,
sharing experience, strength, and hope."
Alcoholics Anonymous, p. xxii

We need each other's experience, strength, and hope,
regardless of age or length of sobriety.

*~*~*AACRONYMS*~*~*
H O P E
Help Open People's Eyes

Money
An aide "quickly took the glowing report to his friend, Mr. Rockefeller, who we thought would surely be interested. Here
was medicine, here was religion, and here was a great good work, all in one package. Mr. Rockefeller listened intently.
He was tremendously impressed and said so. He has repeatedly stated that his connection with Alcoholics
Anonymous is numbered among the finest and most moving experiences of his life.
"Nevertheless, Mr. Rockefeller flatly turned down this plea for a large sum [$50,000], despite the fact that the project
appealed to his every charitable inclination. After a rereading of [the aide's] report, he said 'I am afraid that money will
spoil this thing.' When he gave his reasons, they were identical with those advanced by the Akron group's minority [at
an earlier meeting]. John D. Rockefeller, Jr., was guided then and there to save the A.A. fellowship from itself and from
unnecessary hazards of money, property, and professionalism. It was one of the turning points in A.A.'s history.
"[The aide then] described the desperate financial plight of Dr. Bob and myself. On hearing of this, Mr. Rockefeller said,
'I will place $5,000 for their use in the treasury of the Riverside Church [NYC, NY]. You may draw on this as you like.
This will give these men some temporary assistance. But this fellowship should soon become self-supporting.'" An
account by Bill W. of events which took place in December, 1937
2001 AAWS, Inc.; Alcoholics Anonymous Comes of Age, pgs. 150-51

"I am not my disease; I just have it."
San Jose, California, December 2010
"Four Years,"

"To get over drinking will require a transformation of thought and
attitude. We all had to place recovery above everything, for without
recovery we would have lost both home and business."
~Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, To Employers, pg. 143~

"Follow the dictates of a Higher Power and you will presently live in
a new and wonderful world, no matter what your present circumstances!"
Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, Working With Others, pg. 100

Everywhere we saw failure and misery transformed by humility into priceless assets.
-Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions p. 75

Healing Talk
When we consult an A.A. friend, we should not be reluctant to remind him of our need for full privacy. Intimate
communication is normally so free and easy among us that an A.A. adviser may sometimes forget when we expect him
to remain silent. The protective sanctity of this most healing of human relations ought never be violated.
Such privileged communications have priceless advantages. We find in them the perfect opportunity to be as honest as
we know how to be. We do not have to think of the possibility of damage to other people, nor need we fear ridicule or
condemnation. Here, too. we have the best possible chance of spotting self-deception. GRAPEVINE, AUGUST 1961

Prayer For The Day: Dear Lord, thank you for the love you have shown me. Help me carry that love to others so they may benefit from your love.

bluidkiti 04-13-2017 07:17 AM

AA Thought for the Day

April 13

Isolation
Isolation sneaks up on us. We can mask it with familiar props that are not in themselves bad. We can
isolate ourselves in an attempt to clean up our apartments (and then not do the cleaning); we can isolate
ourselves in churches or in sleep; we can use family, sweethearts, compulsive working, television.
The list is long. The nicest way to end it is the way you and I do: together.
Reach out -- people can't read your mind. Say ouch! Someone hears. Always.
- The Best of the Grapevine [Vol. 1], pp. 84-85

Thought to Ponder . . .
An alcoholic is someone who wants to be held while isolating.

Y A N A = You Are Not Alone.

Amends
"Learning how to live in the greatest peace,
partnership, and brotherhood with all men and women,
of whatever description, is a moving
and fascinating adventure.
Every AA has found that he can make little headway
in this new adventure of living until he first backtracks
and really makes an accurate and unsparing survey
of the human wreckage he has left in his wake."
Bill W., Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, p. 77
As Bill Sees It, p. 145

We are as sick as our secrets.

*~*~*AACRONYMS*~*~*
DENIAL
Don't Even Notice I Am Lying

Setback
>From "Evidence of a Miracle":
"Now I see how monumental my self-deception was. During that first thirteen years, my sobriety was not of the high
quality it seemed to be. During the two years that followed, I actually convinced myself that it was a privilege to be able
to drink. When I returned to A.A., its precepts seemed entirely new to me, particularly the meaning of the First Step, the
'atom bomb of the program.' Instead of taking the Steps and forgetting them, this time I began living them daily, finding
new meaning in each one."
1973 AAWS, Inc.; Came to Believe, 30th printing 2004, pg. 96

"I've been told to shake hands and have started doing so, even though it feels awkward ... I know one thing and one
thing only: Today I'm sober and loved by members of my home group, even though I might not love myself yet."
Waukesha, Wisconsin, March 2006
"Head Full of AA and a Belly Full of Beer,"
AA Grapevine

"When working with a man and his family, you should take care not to
participate in their quarrels. You may spoil your chance of being
helpful if you do. But urge upon a man's family that he has been a
very sick person and should be treated accordingly. You should warn
against arousing resentment or jealousy. You should point out that
his defects of character are not going to disappear over night. Show
them that he has entered upon a period of growth. Ask them to
remember, when they are impatient, the blessed fact of his sobriety."
~Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, Working With Others, pg. 100~

"Doubtless you are curious to discover how and why, in the face of
expert opinion to the contrary, we have recovered from a hopeless
condition of mind and body. If you are an alcoholic who wants to get
over it, you may already be asking What do I have to do?"
It is the purpose of this book to answer such questions specifically.
We shall tell you what we have done.
~Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, There Is A Solution, Page 20~

During this process of learning more about humility, the most profound result of all was the change in our attitude toward God.
-Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions p. 75

Principle Before Expediency
Most of us thought good character was desirable. Obviously, good character was something one needed to get on with
the business of being self-satisfied. With a proper display of honesty and morality, we'd stand a better chance of getting
what we really wanted. But whenever we had to choose between character and comfort, character-building was lost in
the dust of our chase after what we thought was happiness.
Seldom did we look at character-building as something desirable in itself. We never thought of making honesty,
tolerance, and true love of man and God the daily basis of living.
How to translate a right mental conviction into a right emotional result, and so into easy, happy, and good living, is the
problem of life itself.
1. TWELVE AND TWELVE, PP. 71-72
2. GRAPEVINE, JANUARY 1958

Prayer For The Day: Dear Father, as I go out into the world guide me so that I may be helpful and understanding. Help me represent your grace and love so that others may understand.

bluidkiti 04-14-2017 06:08 AM

AA Thought for the Day

April 14

Honesty
We went back through our lives. Nothing counted
but thoroughness and honesty. When we were finished
we considered it carefully.
- Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 65

Thought to Ponder . . .
Honesty is the absence of the intent to deceive.

C H A N G E = Choosing Honesty Allows New Growth Everyday.

Selfishness
"Selfishness - self-centeredness!
That, we think, is the root of our troubles.
Driven by a hundred forms of fear,
self-delusion, self-seeking, and self-pity,
we step on the toes of our fellows and they retaliate.
Sometimes they hurt us,
seemingly without provocation,
but we invariably find that at some time in the past
we have made decisions based on self
which later placed us in a position to be hurt.
So our troubles, we think,
are basically of our own making."
Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 62

Spirituality is the ability
to get our minds off ourselves.

*~*~*AACRONYMS*~*~*
BUT
Being Unconvinced Totally

Health
From "The Family Afterward":
"A body badly burned by alcohol does not often recover overnight nor do twisted thinking and depression vanish in a
twinkling. We are convinced that a spiritual mode of living is a most powerful health restorative. We, who have
recovered from serious drinking, are miracles of mental health. Hardly one of our crowd now shows any mark of dissipation.
"But this does not mean that we disregard human health measures. God has abundantly supplied this world with fine
doctors, psychologists, and practitioners of various kinds. Do not hesitate to take your health problems to such persons."
2001 AAWS, Inc., Fourth Edition; Alcoholics Anonymous, pg. 133

"Part of the magic of AA is that the Fellowship, like the loving God who presides over us all, never gives up hope for the suffering alcoholic."
West Palm Beach, Fla., September 1986
"The Kid Who Came In from the Cold,"
In Our Own Words

"So our troubles, we think, are basically of our own making. They
arise out of ourselves, and the alcoholic is an extreme example of
self-will run riot, though he usually doesn't think so."
~Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, How It Works, pg. 62~

"If God can solve the age-old riddle of alcoholism, He can solve your problems too."
~Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, To Wives, Page 116~

And the facts seem to be these: The more we become willing to depend upon a Higher Power, the more independent we actually are.
-Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions p. 36

Our New Employer
We had a new Employer. Being all powerful, He provided what we needed, if we kept close to Him and performed His work well.
Established on such a footing, we became less and less interested in ourselves, our little plans and designs. More and
more we became interested in seeing what we could contribute to life.
As we felt new power flow in, as we enjoyed peace of mind, as we discovered we could face life successfully, as we
became conscious of His presence, we began to lose our fear of today, tomorrow, or the hereafter. We were reborn.
ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS, P. 63

Prayer For The Day: Dear Heavenly Father, thank you for showing me the lighted way when my path was so very dark. Please continue to guide me with your light and be my hope in the darkness.

bluidkiti 04-15-2017 07:11 AM

AA Thought for the Day

April 15

A Price to Pay
Belief in the power of God, plus enough willingness, honesty and humility to
establish and maintain the new order of things, were the essential requirements.
Simple, but not easy; a price had to be paid. It meant destruction of self-centeredness.
- Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 14

Thought to Ponder . . .
God grant that AA may ever stay simple.

P A I D = Pitiful And Incomprehensible Demoralization.

Intoxication
"As newcomers, many of us have indulged
in spiritual intoxication.
Like a prospector,
belt drawn in over the last ounce of food,
we saw our pick strike gold.
Joy at our release from a lifetime
of frustration knew no bounds.
The newcomer feels he has struck
something better than gold.
He may not see at once
that he has barely scratched a limitless lode
which will pay dividends
only if he mines it for the rest of his life
and insists on giving away
the entire product."

Alcoholics Anonymous, pp. 128-9
As Bill Sees It, p. 57

We give it away to keep it.

*~*~*AACRONYMS*~*~*
T H I N K = The Happiness I Never Knew

Excuses
"The majority of A.A. members have suffered severely from self-justification during their drinking days. For most of us,
self-justification was the maker of excuses; excuses, of course, for drinking, and for all kinds of crazy and damaging
conduct. We had made the invention of alibis a fine art. We had to drink because times were hard or times were good.
We had to drink because at home we were smothered with love or got none at all. We had to drink because at work we
were great successes or dismal failures. We had to drink because our nation had won a war or lost a peace. And so it went, ad infinitum."
1952, AAWS, Inc.; Printed 2005; Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, pgs. 46-47

"Every day will bring me challenges, but now I have the spiritual tools to cope with life on life's terms. I am no longer the
prisoner of my past, my wants, my sorrows, my addictions"
October 2002
"On My Knees into the World Wide Web of Recovery,"
Spiritual Awakenings II

"When we decide who is to hear our story, we waste no time. We have
a written inventory and we are prepared for a long talk. We explain
to our partner what we are about to do and why we have to do it. He
should realize that we are engaged upon a life-and-death errand.
Most people approached in this way will be glad to help; they will be
honored by our confidence."
Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, Into Action, pg. 75

"Our description of the alcoholic, the chapter to the agnostic, and
our personal adventure before and after make clear three pertinent ideas:
(a) That we were alcoholic and could not manage our own lives.
(b) That probably no human power could have relieved our alcoholism.
(c) That God could and would if He were sought."
~Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, How It Works, Page 60~

We A.A.‘s cannot pretend to offer full answers to age-old perplexities, but our own experience does provide certain answers that work for us.
-Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions p. 117

Move Ahead
To spend too much time on any one alcoholic is to deny some other an opportunity to live and be happy. One of our
Fellowship failed entirely with his first half-dozen prospects. He often says that if he had continued to work on them, he
might have deprived many others, who have since recovered, of their chance.
'Our chief responsibility to the newcomer is an adequate presentation of the program. If he does nothing or argues, we
do nothing but maintain our own sobriety. If he starts to move ahead, even a little, with an open mind, we then break our
necks to help in every way we can.'
1. ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS, P. 96
2. LETTER, 1942

Prayer For The Day: Let me not forget you as I go forth into the world this day, blessed Lord; may my every word be a prayer, and my every act be testimony to your love and truth, and my I know your presence every second of this day. Amen.