Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums

Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/index.php)
-   Daily Spiritual Meditations (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Daily Reprieve - September (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=704)

bluidkiti 09-01-2013 12:25 PM

Daily Reprieve - September

September 1

“AFRESH EACH DAY”

“See to it that your relationship with Him is right...” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 164

“God's mercies begin afresh each day.” Lamentations 3: 23

For what it's worth: My relationship with God was pitiful during my drinking days. I believed it was His condemnation of me, but sober in Alcoholics Anonymous I saw it was because of me. Alcoholism and I built all manner of barricades against God, so improvement in our relationship is due to His mercy, not anything on my part. I am deeply grateful for His compassionate love because everything in my life depends upon my relationship with my Heavenly Father. I am so often weak maintaining a bond with Him. I have to go to Him nearly every day, saying “here I am again Lord”. I tell Him I am sorry for what I have done and what I have failed to do, and we discuss ways I can improve. He never grows tired of our meetings, nor complains about my weaknesses. I am so grateful that His loving mercy begins “afresh each day."

God bless you.
Joe W.

bluidkiti 09-01-2013 12:28 PM

September 2

DON'T WORRY. HE'S WITH US.

"For where two or three come together in my name, I am there with them." Matthew18:19-20 (TEV)

"But there exists among us a fellowship, a friendliness, and an understanding which is indescribably wonderful." Alcoholics Anonymous, page 17

For what it's worth: Praying or being with God, especially with others, had no place in the years of my active alcoholism. When I witnessed this in Alcoholics Anonymous, although not drinking, I left many meetings early and loudly in anger. It was fear of facing the Almighty Judge I had cursed often during my drunkenness; and, it was the dread of falling back into hell that always drove me back to the meetings. Keeping coming back over many sober years has grown a deep appreciation for meetings in our Fellowship. Today I look forward to finding God there. I know He is there because I feel His Presence, and I often hear and see Him in others. Since I am certain many are there in His name, I am further convinced He is there. He said He would be. So, I need not worry about the future of our Fellowship. Its wonder will continue. My Heavenly Father is at all the meetings, and it is easy to find Him. All I have to do is look and listen for Him.

God bless you.
Joe W.

bluidkiti 09-02-2013 09:31 AM

September 3

A BLESSING IN DISGUISE

"The insidiousness of alcoholism is an appalling thing." Alcoholics Anonymous, page 382, (4th Edition)

"Those who know your name trust in you, for you, O Lord, have never abandoned anyone who searches for you." Psalm 9: 10

For what it's worth: Insidious alcoholism and built-in mistrust combined to create an empty, agonizing soul. Blinded by denial, I could not see the cause, but I could feel the deep inner pain that drove me to seek relief in Alcoholics Anonymous. There, with the drink gone, I was able to see the problem and was given a way out of my agony. During my painful searching years, many people told me I needed to have God in my life. But I could not trust, so how? The caring, sober drunks in Alcoholics Anonymous told me how. Living the Twelve Steps one day at a time was the answer. Applying that solution for years now, my soul overflows with joy...most days. On the other days, my soul survives by trusting God loves me too much to ever abandon me. Those days are a blessing in disguise, building even more trust in His love.

God bless you.
Joe W.

BW1 09-02-2013 02:59 PM

The Spiritual malady requires SPIRITUAL Treatment

bluidkiti 09-03-2013 11:35 AM

September 4

GOD GIVES HIS POWER

"Here was power to live to the end of any given day, power to have the courage to face the next day…" Alcoholics Anonymous page 386 (4th Edition)

"He is mighty in both power and understanding." Job 36:5

For what it's worth: God wanted nothing to do with me. I had disappointed Him too often. That false belief kicked off many a drunk. But God had not despised me, He rescued me. I began to believe He must understand me and really care about me. After all, He put His Power to work to lift me from the waste of alcoholism. Then He gave me to Alcoholics Anonymous for reclamation. He provides me strength to survive the dark days, gratitude to add brilliance to the bright days, and courage to face tomorrow no matter what the prospect. It is difficult for me to understand why He cares so deeply about me. I dearly appreciate it! Have I told Him today?

God bless you.
Joe W.

bluidkiti 09-04-2013 12:27 PM

September 5

PLACE OF NO RETURN

"We were in a position where life was becoming impossible, and if we had passed into the region from which there is no return through human aid, we had but two alternatives: One was to go on to the bitter end, blotting out the consciousness of our intolerable situation as best we could; and the other, to accept spiritual help." Alcoholics Anonymous, page 25

"I trust in your unfailing love. I will rejoice because you have rescued me." Psalm 13:5

For what it's worth: Life as an alcoholic was impossible. Every relationship was destroyed and all that was valuable was lost. Alcoholism dumped me into a pit of despair that I believed would never end. Thank God and His mercy, it did. He gave me strength to stop drinking and hope that I would improve. And, indeed, I did, because of the spiritual power in the principles of Alcoholics Anonymous. Practicing these principles planted in me a trust in God's unfailing love that has stayed with me over many years of being at many of life's places of no return. And, over and over again, God has rescued me. Not always as soon as I wanted. Not always as gently as I wished. But always! So, indeed, I rejoice because I can trust His love.

God bless you.
Joe W.

bluidkiti 09-05-2013 09:49 AM

September 6

THE BEAST

“The spirit is willing, but the body is weak." Matthew 26:41

“We have empathized willingness as being indispensable.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 76

For what its worth: The self-centeredness of alcoholism was a hungry beast, running wild for years, devouring everything of value in me. Even after years of sober, hard work to cage the monster, he can find a weakness and break loose, unleashing deep-seated defects once believed to be under control. Frustration, anger, insecurity, non-acceptance are some weaknesses the beast pursues to trigger selfish instincts. These cause me pain, and, more importantly, hurt others, usually those I love. They can cause relapse. I thank God He has given me the Tenth Step of Alcoholics Anonymous to identify the problem and the courage to admit my wrong. Plus, I have Step Six and Seven to seek willingness to keep struggling, and, with God's grace, to get the beast back in lockup and keep it there.

God bless you.
Joe W

bluidkiti 09-06-2013 08:55 AM

September 7

THE PAY IS GREAT

"Are we now ready to let God remove from us all the things which we have admitted are objectionable?" Alcoholics Anonymous, page 76

"Because we have these promises, dear friends, let us cleanse ourselves from everything that can defile our body or spirit." 2 Corinthians 7:1

For what it's worth: By the time I reached Alcoholics Anonymous, the deep seated defects and insecurity already present had made it easy for alcohol to defile my body and spirit. I would have to dig deep to uproot all that was objectionable. Had I known how deep, I may never have picked up the shovel. I thank God Alcoholics Anonymous gave me access to a tool shed, plenty of people to help, and the motivation of The Promises. I have been digging for many sober years and plan to continue, being careful to dig deep enough to get the entire root of the problem. I find that the pay is great. Retirement is even better!

God bless you.
Joe W.

bluidkiti 09-07-2013 01:29 PM

September 8

ME, ME, ME

“Were we thinking of ourselves most of the time?” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 86

“Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.” Romans 12:2

For what it’s worth: The “his majesty, the baby” in me always wants what he wants when he wants it. Just because I am now sober in Alcoholics Anonymous does not miraculously change that character defect. Actually, the world I live in supports that selfish, spoiled attitude. But AA teaches me that self-centeredness can kill me, and that God is the only one Who can save me from myself. So, I need to be thinking of Him and what He wants, not preoccupied with me and my wants, tuning God out. That is still too easy for me to do. My alcoholic mind always wants more and more, but what I need is more of Him, not more of anything else.

God bless you!
Joe W.

bluidkiti 09-08-2013 10:35 AM

September 9

TRUST HIS MERCY

"For none of us lives to himself alone and none of us dies to himself alone." Romans 14:7

"To be doomed to an alcoholic death or to live on a spiritual basis are not always easy alternatives to face."

Alcoholics Anonymous, page 44

For what its worth: My alcoholic death would have been alone and in despair, most likely at my own hand, except for God's mercy and the spiritual power of Alcoholics Anonymous. Even after years of God-given sobriety, I am fully aware the end can still occur this way if I do not dedicate each day to living "on a spiritual basis". I am so blessed that my Heavenly Father lifted me off the road to hell and placed me on a path where people rarely fail when they follow proven principles of recovery. There are times, however, when I remain frightened of facing God alone. No defense, no excuses for the hurt I caused so many of His children. During such spiritually dark days I need to trust my Heavenly Father's loving mercy.

God bless you.
Joe W.

bluidkiti 09-09-2013 12:26 PM

September 10

GOD'S WORK IN PROGRESS

"...Now trouble comes to you, and you are discouraged; it strikes you, and you are dismayed." Job 4:4-6 (New International Version)

"Character-building through suffering might be all right for saints, but it certainly didn't appeal to us." Twelve Steps & Twelve Traditions, page 74

For what it's worth: Chopping away drink by drink, Alcoholism massacred my entire spiritual being. It would have been marvelous if my character building had been competed in a few years of sobriety in Alcoholics Anonymous. But, surprising enough, I have not grown to sainthood. Not even close. Yes, both suffering and joy have produced progress, but even with God's loving help, and daily practice of our principles, I still experience many character defects, causing me discouragement and hurting those I love. I pray sharing my weaknesses does not discourage others who may wish to believe years of sobriety in Alcoholics Anonymous guarantees all manner of virtue. For me, my defects still outnumber my virtues. It appears I will be God's work in progress a long time.

God bless you.
Joe W.

bluidkiti 09-10-2013 10:40 AM

September 11

SELF-ACCEPTANCE

"Clay doesn't talk back to the fingers that mold it, saying, 'Why did you shape me like this?'" Romans 9:20

"Until I could accept my alcoholism, I could not stay sober; unless I accept life completely on life's terms, I cannot be happy." Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 417 (449)

For what it's worth: Self-hate and self-resentment are killers. Preoccupation with my defects, insecurities, and shame fueled my alcoholism for years, and, in sobriety, can readily cause relapse. At times, when I feel relaxed, as happened so often during my drinking, I am only letting my mind wander around loose and unsupervised. This is dangerous even without the influence of alcohol because I easily drift back to stinkin' thinkin' about my inadequacies. Is not this the pot criticizing the potter? At these times, I must beg my Heavenly Father's forgiveness and seek His strength to practice self-acceptance. Until I do, "I cannot be happy".

God bless you.
Joe W.

bluidkiti 09-11-2013 11:52 AM

September 12

DOING FOR OTHERS

“Learning to depend upon a higher power and absorb himself in his work with other alcoholics, he remains sober day by day.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 570(572), Appendix III, The Medical View on A.A.

“…Whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.” Matthew 25:40

For what it's worth: Doing for others was not even considered during my self-absorbed drinking years. But it certainly became important to me after being sober in Alcoholics Anonymous awhile. I learned that it was the best way for a drunk like me to stay sober, so I stayed close to those who worked with others, going with them to institutions and on Twelve Step calls. We were all staying sober. Moreover, we were happy doing for others. So I have continued that way of staying sober throughout my years in Alcoholics Anonymous. I realize, however, I can never do for others what all has been done for me.

God bless you!
Joe W.

bluidkiti 09-12-2013 12:20 PM

September 13

STILL HARD TO BELIEVE

“Some will become quite annoyed if there is talk about immorality, let alone sin.” 12&12 p.48

“For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out.” Romans 7:18

For what it's worth: My sinful nature destined me to the eternal fires of hell. So I believed. So I drink. Gratefully, when I was sober in Alcoholics Anonymous long enough to be rid of some old ideas, I began to believe I just might dodge hell’s fire. The trouble today is I still have that sinful nature. Some defects I have been working on for years keep repeating as if I have made not even an ounce of progress. I know I need be careful not to beat up on myself and stay in Step Ten and close to my Heavenly Father. Words cannot express my gratitude for His patience and unconditional love. For this once worthless and sinful drunk, some days it is still hard to believe.

God bless you!
Joe W.

bluidkiti 09-13-2013 09:13 AM

September 14

IT WORKS

"Rather than using clever and persuasive speeches, I relied only on the power of the Holy Spirit.

I did this so you would trust not in human wisdom but in the power of God." 1 Corinthians 2:5

"In any meeting, anywhere, A.A.'s share experience, strength, and hope with each other, in order to stay sober and help other alcoholics." Alcoholics Anonymous, xxiv

For what it's worth: During my drinking years, I was not about to share anything with anybody, especially my alcohol. To stay sober in Alcoholics Anonymous, I had to follow the example of members who shared openly and honestly with each other, speaking the "language of the heart". My problem, then, and even after years of sobriety, is trying to impress others. There is progress. As I grow up emotionally and spiritually, my self-image improves and the need to please others diminishes. Still, I need to work hard at every meeting to forget self and trust God. Every time I do, it works.

God bless you.
Joe W.