Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums

Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/index.php)
-   Daily Recovery Readings (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Wisdom For Today - May (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8869)

bluidkiti 05-13-2016 07:34 AM

May 16

Wisdom for Today
There is wide variation in the way that we approach this concept of a spiritual life. Each one of us has our own concept of a Higher Power and how he works for us in recovery. We do not need to agree with what everyone else’s concepts are; we only need to formulate our own understanding. This is not to say that we cannot learn from others what works for them and incorporate this into what works for us. Whether or not we agree with others concept is of little importance for us as
individuals. What does matter is that we put aside any prejudice or judgment and simply open ourselves to growing along spiritual lines. To be sure there are questions that each of us needs to answer in our spiritual search. It is doubtful that we will suddenly see a bright light and have all the answers we need. Growth is a process that occurs over time.

One thing is for sure: Those of us who have opened the door to the concept of a Power Greater have seen miraculous things happen. We find that we are able to do things that before used to baffle us. We see things happen in our life in recovery that we cannot fully explain. To say that these things are mere coincidence falls way short of the mark. We experience a miraculous change in our thinking and our way of living, and it works. If this were mere coincidence, why then
does it happen for all addicts and alcoholics who completely give themselves to this simple program? Am I seeing miraculous changes in my life?
Meditations for the Heart
Rumination can be the ruin of the soul. When we spend time dwelling on every mistake, every fault, and every failure of the past, it is far too easy to then proceed into shame, guilt, remorse and contempt for self. These things indeed can be very destructive for our soul, and they also can be huge reasons to relapse. We need to make conscious decisions not to dwell on these issues. This does not mean ignore them, but it does mean that we must use the steps to bring healing to our past. We can learn to rely on our Higher Power’s help to rebuild our damaged self-esteem and lost self-respect. We need to open our minds and our hearts to His care for our brokenness. He can and will bring power, love, and healing to our soul. We simply need to open ourselves to this Divine Presence in our lives. In recovery we learn to respect ourselves again; and in doing so, we gain the respect of others as well. We cannot worry about the places where we fall down. We simply must arise again, brush the dirt off, and continue our journey. Am I keeping my eye on the goal?
Petitions to my Higher Power
God,

Life is good when I stay focused on Your will for me today. Do not let me dwell in the past and give me courage to get back up again when I fall. Stay with me throughout this day, and keep me conscious of the goal.

Amen

bluidkiti 05-13-2016 07:34 AM

May 17

Wisdom for Today
Life has emergencies that come up. For those of us in recovery, we need to be especially cautious during these times. First of all, the program teaches us that we are responsible for our recovery. What this means is that we should be prepared for these difficult times. What will I do should an emergency occur? Who will I turn to? Where do I go for safety in these difficult times? All these questions and more need to be thought through and decisions made regarding our action plans should an emergency occur. If we wait until we are in a crisis and have no plans in place, we put ourselves at risk. If we are prepared and know what to do, we will find we are able to get through life’s difficult times.
Just as important is to stay focused after the crisis has past. It is in this time that we are more likely to let our guard down and falter in our responsible self-care. We handle the crisis and breath a sigh of relief. Then our addicted mind takes over and tells us to reward ourselves for a job well done. These tests in recovery are not always easy; and we can become frustrated, confused, and even frightened. It is easy to get wrapped up in the crisis or emergency and forget to take care of ourselves. Here especially we must hold on to the gift of our recovery and turn it over to the care of our Higher Power. He has promised that no matter how big the crisis, He would stand by us. Do I have good plans in place should everything suddenly get thrown out of whack?
My sponsor used to look at me and say, “This too shall pass.” He wanted me to know and trust that no crisis or emergency lasts forever. This was important information for me to have. However, it was his next line that always stuck with me. “It is what you do with it that will determine whether or not it gets complicated.” He talked to me at length about how my thinking, emotional response, and behavior would significantly impact how I made it through these tough times. He would go to say, “It can pass like a breeze in the night, or it can pass like a kidney stone; this in large part depends on you and what you do." He taught me how important it was to be in regular prayer with my Higher Power in these struggles. “Listen for His wisdom,” he would say. “Use the tools and stay close to the program.” Use the slogans, the steps, whatever you need to to get through the tough times; and you will be made stronger because of it. I am grateful for these words. Do I have good advice and suggestions that I listen to?
God,
Sometimes life takes strange turns. Some of these seem unfair and others seem to overwhelm me. I am grateful to know that no matter what the emergencies in my life might be, You are always there for me to call on. Help me to make plans for these rough times in my life so that I am not caught off guard. Walk with me this day, and let me walk with you.
Amen

bluidkiti 05-16-2016 07:47 AM

May 18

Wisdom for Today
It took a while but I finally got used to the fact that I no longer live in crisis. For quit a while, I found recovery and working a program boring. I had become so used to living in crisis that I found living a normal life boring. Addiction to alcohol and drugs always had a way of creating a crisis in my life. If it wasn’t one thing, it was another. Even in early recovery I seemed to need to create a crisis in my life. It was as if I craved the uncertainty and excitement. Over time I began to realize that recovery meant a whole lot more than simply stopping drinking and using drugs. It was about changing lifestyle.
I began to recognize how my character defects continued to get me into trouble. I began to see how I continued to stir the pot and walk on the edge. As I settled into recovery and really began to work the steps, I began to experience less and less turmoil in my life. Things quieted down, and I began to experience less chaos in my life. I grew restless and bored. This was a dangerous time for me because I struggled with life going well. There was something about my personality that seemed to need to be in crisis. Yet in spite of myself, and only through the Grace of God, did I adjust and begin to enjoy life. The predictability and security of recovery and the program became a stable force in my life. Today I can walk through my day and not need to disrupt my Higher Power’s plans for me. Do I still need to create crises in my life?
We tried to carry the message to those who still suffered, and we practiced these principles in all our affairs. For each of us in recovery there will come a time when we will have the opportunity to share our experience, strength, and hope with others. And this is what the program asks of us. We do not turn from this responsibility, but instead welcome the opportunity. We tell our story and share what has worked for us, what didn’t, and where we hope to be by continuing our journey. By giving away what we have learned, we are able to keep it. We must be cautious not to attempt to carry the addict or alcoholic, only the message. It is then up to God to use our message to help the other person. Perhaps one of the best ways we do this is through our example. Step twelve asks us to become living examples of the program; to live the program in all that we do. When someone new to the program sees someone as a living example of the promises come true, it provides hope. We carry the message of hope to the newcomer. Am I willing to live as an example?
God,
Thank you for helping me to find out that I no longer need to live in crisis. Help me this day to live as an example of the program. Let me continue to practice the principles of the program in all that I do. I have not yet achieved the goal, but I am on the way that leads to it. Let me be a messenger of hope to others.
Amen

bluidkiti 05-17-2016 07:41 AM

May 19

Wisdom for Today
Pride goes before the fall. This statement certainly can be true for the alcoholic or addict. When we allow ourselves to become filled with pride about our recovery, it is to easy to then begin to take credit for it. Certainly all of us in recovery put work into it, and it is only natural to feel good about the efforts we have made. But when we begin to take the credit and flaunt it, we forget how this thing called recovery really happened. It was not we alone who conquered this problem. The truth is that we never will be able to conquer it. We are only able to recover with the help of the program and our Higher Power. Yes, we all have met those individuals who say they quit on their own. This may be true, but it is also true that they never were addicted in the first place, or they have only become dry. Often times these individuals are not happy at all about being dry. They are an example of why we choose to use the steps, all twelve of them.
Yes, we certainly can feel positive about what we have done in recovery and the progress we have made. But we also need to remain humble and give thanks for the miracle that has occurred in our lives. Yes, we put effort into this miracle; but none of us can honestly say we did this on our own. Staying humble also brings us inner peace because we know that there is a Power Greater working in our lives. Staying humble also teaches us to look outside of ourselves for strength and courage. Do I continue to recognize the gift I have received?
With the program continuing to grow and the ever changing and expanding world of communication, it is now easier that ever to make connections with others who can help us. We forget how hard it was in the beginning for the founders of the program, who often times went days and weeks without talking to a fellow member of the program. Many could not afford the price of a phone call. Many had to travel long distances to get to a meeting. Perhaps the miracle of recovery was more evident then. I don't know, but what is certain is that we have no excuse for not being able to make these vital connections with others in the program. We indeed are very fortunate to be able to meet with or talk with others so freely. We can get all the support we need; all we have to do is ask. Still I know that asking for help is not always an easy thing to do. It goes against the very nature of addiction. It is a lesson we all must learn. Do I take advantage of the resources available to me for help?
God,
Surround me with Your love and Your strength as I walk though this day. Grant me wisdom in the decisions I face in this day. Continue to provide me with courage as I need it, and let me remain willing to always reach out and ask for help. Remove from me any pride that would compromise my recovery, and let me walk humbly before You in all that I do.
Amen

bluidkiti 05-18-2016 08:49 AM

May 20

Wisdom for Today
In life there are heroes, and the program is no exception. We meet them at every meeting we attend. Every time someone introduces themselves at a meeting, we are looking into the eyes of a hero. Some may question this, but I believe it to be true. Heroes are people who act in the face of fear to help others. When a newcomer walks though the door for the first time, they are greeted by others in the program. Inside the newcomer trembles with fear. Yet these individuals stare fear in the face and reach out to offer a helping hand. Each of us learn to be heroes in the program. When we are willing to offer forgiveness to others even when it raises fear in us, we act as heroes. When we say yes to telling our story, even though the thought of speaking before a group terrifies us, we learn to be heroes.
When we carry the message to anyone who still suffers, we become heroes. In life when, someone rushes into a burning building to help someone inside, they are considered a hero. Yet after the event they do not go around bragging about what they had done. They speak humbly about the event. The same must be true for each of us. We do not brag about the twelve step call we just made. We do not look down on others because they did not go. We feel a sense of inner goodness in these acts of helping others, but we do not speak of this in an arrogant manner. Carrying the message is an act of heroism, but we do not claim superiority for doing this. We do this in humility and out of genuine concern for others. Am I willing to carry the message to others when given the opportunity to do so?
Responsibility is our goal in recovery. First, we take responsibility for working the steps and doing what is needed to stay clean and sober. Next we take responsibility to clean up our lives and repair the damage done in our active addiction. We become responsible for reaching out to others in the program to offer them what was so freely given to us. We continue to practice these responsibilities in all that we do. Through this responsibility we make gains in our lives - physically, mentally, socially, and spiritually. We become better people through this process and are rewarded with seeing the promises of the program come true in our lives. These gifts come to us only through working the program, and responsibility is a big part of working this program. Am I working on personal responsibility?
God,
Each and every day I face choices and need to be responsible with what I choose to do. Grant me wisdom in making the choices I need to make today. Let me look for each opportunity to carry the message and to do this with humility. Give me the courage I will need in the face of any fear that might arise. Let me find the gifts that are so freely given by You along this pathway.
Amen

bluidkiti 05-19-2016 07:26 AM

May 21

Wisdom for Today
In life we are called on to interact with other people every day. This is no different in recovery. We interact with our family, coworkers, friends, and people we just run into in the course of the day. Why is this important? Well, the truth is: What we do and how we choose to do it in our interactions with others has a lot to do with recovery. Active addiction tore relationships apart. In recovery we are taught to make amends and taught to forgive others. We are taught about
reconciliation with God, as we understand Him; and we are taught about reconciliation with others.

The choices we have in recovery are many. With our interactions with other people we must begin with honesty and with willingness. We work to become willing to make amends. We work to become willing to forgive others and to ask for forgiveness. We work to build bridges and attempt to rebuild what has been broken. We do a regular inventory, and we look to see if we have wronged anyone. Yes, the choices are many and sometimes the work is hard. But if we want what
the program offers to us, then we will do the work. Am I working to rebuild my relationships with others?
When we were drinking and using, our heart was often empty because of the brokenness of our relationships with others and with God. As we work the steps and begin to rebuild our lives, we soon find that this emptiness is being filled again. We learn to do the next right thing in all our relationships with others. We learn to walk through our days without regret. Happiness again comes to our heart as we regain trust from others in our lives. We do run into those people that no matter what we do, they will not come close to us again. We have no control over their behavior or their choices. We are only responsible for attempting to repair the damage and rebuild the relationship. We remain open to the possibility that someday they may again open their hearts to us, and we pray for them. Am I finding joy in renewed relationships with people in my life?
God,

You are the giver of all good things. Certainly it is You that has again filled my heart with the joy known only in healthy and honest relationships. Give me an open mind with regard to the doors that may still be closed by others. Help them to see that judgment and resentment are not the answer. Help me to forgive those who have hurt me and help me to rebuild wherever I can.

Amen

bluidkiti 05-20-2016 07:23 AM

May 22

Wisdom for Today

Doubt can be a real stumbling block for those in recovery. Doubt for me was the absence of faith in a Power Greater; and even in myself. I did not trust my own decisions, and I had plenty of reason not to trust myself. Doubting that "God could and would if He were sought," was a another matter entirely. I had grown up in a very religious family and had even had some spiritual experiences as a teenager before my addiction got out of hand, but as an adult I really had no true belief that a Power Greater than myself would indeed help me. Why would God want to help me after all that I had done? Certainly I was not worth His time or energy. Even if He wanted to help me, I was not certain that He could. This doubt kept me frozen in my recovery.
But God, being more powerful than I can even begin to describe, thought differently than I did. He brought sunshine into my life and thawed the frozen wasteland of my life. I listened to others talk in meetings over and over again about how the program had changed them. I could tell from their stories that they were not just saying this but really meant it. I began to develop a feeble sense of hope that maybe, just maybe, God could work for me. Over time that feeble hope has grown, and now I have no doubt in my mind or my heart that God has done things for me that I could not do for myself. Over time I had heard hundreds and hundreds of stories like mine. When this many people all say that reliance on a Power outside of themselves works, it is hard to doubt the presence of a spiritual and loving God working in our lives. What am I relying on today?

"Behold, I make all things new." These are words found in the Bible. Regardless of your religious background, these words do describe what God can and will do for each and everyone of us, if we only believe. Breaking down all the barriers to believing in a Power Greater, a Divine Presence, a Spiritual Guide, or whatever you wish to call Him, can be difficult to do with a closed mind. In recovery we are asked to open our minds and our hearts to this possibility. I can be made new. We are not asked to believe that we can make ourselves new, as we have all tried and failed in our attempts to do this. We learn that recovery is a gift that we can receive if we only ask for His help. What has surprised me is that I continue to be made new again and again through working the steps in my life. I guess that by now this shouldn't surprise me, but it still does. Recovery is about becoming new in all that we do. Do I use these principles of faith and ask for help each day?

God,
You ask nothing of me other than faith and obedience. These are the steps I am to follow to be made new, yet to trust and obey, I need Your presence and help. Help me to always rely on You for direction and give me a willing heart to accomplish what You desire of me. Help me this day to continue to grow in my faith, and lead me to a path of newness of life.
Amen

bluidkiti 05-20-2016 07:24 AM

May 23

Wisdom for Today

Who am I to say there is no God? This is the question that all who struggle with the concept of a Higher Power or Divine Principle exists must ask. All addicts and alcoholics know that we have lost our ability to control our use of alcohol and drugs. We know that our way is not working. Still there are many who come to the spiritual aspects of working the program and throw up walls and are unwilling to open their minds and their hearts to the possibility that this spiritual principle is the only thing that will work. Often it is the realization that we are indeed defeated that finally opens the door to another possibility.
Can any of us deny that we are a social animal? We all want relationship with our fellow man. Is it so hard to dig down inside and recognize that man seeks relationships and then open the door to the possibility to relationship with a Power Greater than ourselves? Each of us seeks to have faith in something more than our self. We looked to the bottle or drugs and had faith that it would take away our problems. This did not work. Is it so hard to have faith in a Greater Spirit as this answer? We see it working for so many; there must be some truth in this concept. It is only when we completely give ourselves to this simple concept that we can find that this spiritual principle can work for us. Am I continuing to fight against what works for so many?

Why do we all resist the truth of recovery and how it works? For some of us it is the arrogance that we are different, or we know better, or that we still believe we can learn control. For others the resistance lies in some deep-seated prejudice, or denial or even doubt. Many of us keep fighting simply because we enjoy the challenge or because we are afraid to stop. But when push comes to shove, it does not really even matter why we fight or resist. All that really matters for us is that we need to stop fighting and open ourselves to new possibilities. The moment we stop fighting and resisting, we discover that life can be different. The only one holding us hostage in our addictive thinking is our self. When we open the door to new possibilities, we can be set free, free to explore a new reality and a new way of thinking. We are set free to challenge our own beliefs and open to examine new beliefs. We are set free to find new answers and find new behavior. Am I still fighting or resisting the truth of recovery?

God,
I really can’t even begin to fully understand who or what You are. I simply know that my way does not work; and if I continue to fight or resist the truth of recovery, I will never find the freedom I seek. Open my mind and my heart that I may grow along spiritual lines. Release me from the bondage of self, the chains of close-mindedness, and the roadblocks that stand in my way. Help me to see the truth.
Amen

bluidkiti 05-20-2016 07:24 AM

May 24

Wisdom for Today

“Those who do not recover are people who are constitutionally incapable of being honest with themselves…” When I first read these words, I became very frightened. I knew I was a liar when I was drinking and using, but what really scared me was that I was unsure if I was capable of being honest with myself. Fortunately, I discovered that I was capable of being honest. I could admit that my drinking and drug use was out of control. I knew my life was unmanageable. I could be honest about all the dishonesty I had in my life. I could let go of my denial and find the truth of my life.
I also learned that I could be honest with other people. It was not easy at first because I still wanted to hide the truth because of the incredible guilt and shame I had. Over time as I became more comfortable at meetings and with my sponsor, I learned to open up about my crazy thinking. I let down my wall of defenses and could face the reality of who and what I was. I learned I had a disease from which I could recover through working the steps. I also learned that I had to keep working on honesty, because dishonesty has a way of creeping back into my life. I also have seen what has happened over and over again to those who refuse to get honest or are incapable of being honest with themselves. The AA Big Book says it plainly; “There are such unfortunates…” Am I developing a manner of living that demands rigorous honesty?

Sometimes I look back at how far I have come in this program. I am amazed at the progress that has happened in my life. When I came into the program I just wanted a way out of the insanity; I did not expect to find happiness, peace of mind, and all the other promises that recovery offers. It is good to do this every so often. Looking back and seeing the progress made helps to instill a true sense of gratitude. It also helps us with humility. We realize that what has happened to us in the process of recovery did not all happen because of what we have done. We see, perhaps more clearly, the miracle that recovery is. Yes, each of us must do the work, but the changes that happen are not just a result of that work; it is a result of something more powerful. Looking back helps me accept the spiritual changes that have occurred through a Divine intervention. Looking back helps me see that I was saved from the ravages of addiction. Looking back helps me to see that I have grown in ways I did not expect. Looking back helps me to see that I did not do this all on my own. Do I truly appreciate what has happened to me in recovery?

God,
Your mercy, wisdom and grace have brought me this far. Today let me live my life with gratitude for all that has happened. Let me live this day in hope for what will be as long as I walk this path with You. Let me search my heart and mind this day for any self deceit that may remain in my life and confront any dishonesty that may remain. Strengthen me for this day.
Amen

bluidkiti 05-20-2016 07:25 AM

May 25

Wisdom for Today

In recovery, we all come to a point when we realize that we must do more than simply stay clean and sober. If we are going to stay clean and sober, we must also do a through personal housecleaning. Each of us carries things within ourselves that act as a block to growth. We find layer upon layer of garbage in our house that must be cleaned up. It is not enough to walk around abstinent and live in a house filled with garbage. It is also not enough just to sweep it all into a corner. We find that we must pick up the garbage and get rid of it. We must then go in and thoroughly clean the house we live in.

We must be honest in doing this housecleaning. We take stock of what is messed up and what can be salvaged from the mess. We find strengths, and we find weaknesses. We look honestly at the causes of this mess. We see that we are the number one reason. We find that our thinking emotions and behaviors have led us into this mess, and we are the one who must take responsibility to clean it up. Some want to avoid this step and find that to do this leads to chronic unhappiness. It is no fun to live in this mess. It is difficult to clean up, but we discover that we are worth the effort. We find freedom from resentment and anger, hopelessness, fear, and many other pieces of garbage that we do not need to live with. Have I taken steps to clean up the garbage in my life?

In running any race, it is important to keep your focus on the goal. It is no different in recovery. We stay focused on the goal in life that we hope to attain. We cannot be distracted by events in our life and loose sight of the goal. These distractions can seduce us into not finishing the race. As addicts and alcoholics we cannot afford to not finish the race. We take this race one step at a time and one day at a time. Our purpose is to finish this race. As we complete each step and as we live each day, we see that we are closer to the goal. Each step brings us new insights. Each step brings us new freedom. Each step brings us closer and closer to our goal. Sometimes we grow weary, and we face obstacles and distractions. In these times especially, we must look beyond and forward to our goal. Am I staying focused on what I need to do today to reach my goal?

God,

Help me to see that accomplishing each step is not the goal. Let me complete each step with the knowledge that what I seek is what is promised. Let me rely on You today to keep me on track. Let me not be distracted or loose sight of my goal.

Amen

bluidkiti 05-24-2016 08:51 AM

May 26

Wisdom for Today
How big a part of my life is the program? Am I only involved on the fringes, or am I actively involved? Are meetings something I do occasionally and sometimes not at all, or do I attend meetings regularly? Do I structure time into my schedule to work on the steps, or do I simply ignore the steps? Do I have and utilize a sponsor, or do I just run my own recovery without input from someone who can lead and guide me? Do I take time to think about what I have heard in meetings or simply assume that I have heard it all before? Do I offer to let others know about the program who may need it, or do I look the other way and assume they will eventually find what they need? These are questions we all need to ask ourselves throughout our time in recovery?
Keeping the program and all that goes with it central in our lives is important. Ask an old-timer how they keep what the program offers, and they will tell you that they carry the program with them in all that they do? Many will say that the program has become the solid foundation for all their life. Still others will talk about how it is important to give it away in order to keep it. Regardless of how they say it, all are working to keep the program central in their lives. I am not sure when the program switched from just a way to stay clean and sober to a way of life, but I am glad that it has. I used to think that having this disease was a curse; now I see it as a blessing, for it teaches me how to live life abundantly. Am I keeping the program central in my life?
There is so much that can bring us down. Each of these things, whether they are failures, shortcomings, or mistakes, we bring to our Higher Power and lay them before Him. We learn not to dwell on these things, but to look for ways not to repeat them. We leave these things that bring us down into His caring hands. We rely on the Spirit to be our mediator with God. We allow this Divine Spirit to say what needs to be said and fix what needs to be fixed. This Spirit can and will help us to be reconciled; it is never too late for this to happen. It is when we learn to let go and rely on this Spirit to do for us what we can not do for ourselves, that we become right with our Higher Power. It is in this act of letting go that God smiles on us. In letting go, we are brought closer to Him. Am I willing to let go of what I cannot change and focus on what I can change?
God,
In order to keep the program central in my life, I know I must start with You. Let me not become lazy or arrogant or cavalier with my program. Help me to practice the principles in all that I do. Let me also rely on Your Spirit to bring me into reconciliation with You, so that I might walk closely with You and in Your Light. Give me wisdom and courage to change the things I can today.
Amen

bluidkiti 05-24-2016 08:53 AM

May 27

Wisdom for Today

The most valuable lessons we learn in the program come from practical experience, and one way in which we can receive this kind of experience is through working with others. I can't count the number of times I have been talking with someone else in the program and words will come out of my mouth that I need to listen to. There I am talking with a new-comer about his anger and resentment and listen to these words about self-centered fear come out of my mouth. Yes, it becomes obvious to me that the real reason he is unhappy and angry or resentful is because he is not getting what he wants. This thinking is coming from self-centered fear. Then as I talk about how this was true for me, I begin to realize that some current frustration in my life is caused by the same type of thinking.
The words coming from my mouth are meant as much for me as the new-comer. Over time I have really come to appreciate these experiences and see the true value in helping others. When I reach out to others I am really helping myself. I have come to believe that there is nothing else that can so much insure our sobriety than helping others. But there are steps to doing this properly. First and foremost, I believe that whenever we work with others, we should first reach out to our Higher Power and ask for His direction of our thoughts. We also ask that He remove any selfish desire in our effort. Then we trust Him to lead our words and actions. When we do this, we find that we gain credibility with our peers. We find that they are open to listening to the words we share. We find too that God often times works through us not only to help the new-comer, but also ourselves. In each of these interchanges we gain practical experience. Do I use my Higher Power as a guide when I reach out to help others?

Breathe in the Spirit, and you will be filled with goodness and truth. For if we are but willing, then the Spirit will fill our every need. In breathing in this Spirit, we find selfishness and hate are exhaled and replaced with generosity and love. But we must accept these gifts; for in breathing in the Spirit, we also breathe in the power of choice. We are given the option to accept or reject these gifts. We can choose to close our hearts, or we can graciously open them up to our Higher Power. In opening our hearts, we do not know what God may choose to fill us with; but we trust that in Him all things are good. He did not make us like robots who only follow orders; instead He granted us free will. Even though the Spirit is willing to fill us up with His good gifts, we still have the power to reject what he offers. Am I willing to accept the good gifts from my Higher Power?

God,
In this day, let me be filled with your Spirit and accept whatever gifts I am granted. Help me to be open to seeing the gifts I am offered each and every day. Let me also be open to sharing these gifts with others as the opportunity may arise. Grant me wisdom to learn from these practical experiences each day.
Amen

bluidkiti 05-26-2016 07:47 AM

May 28

Wisdom for Today
My first twelve step call was quite a learning experience. I got a call from my sponsor, who asked me if I was up for a road trip. Knowing that my sponsor always was looking for ways to help me get better, I said sure. Minutes latter I was in his car and on my way to talk with someone who probably needed the program. My sponsor had gotten the call from a family friend. We arrived at the home and rang the doorbell. A woman answered the door and showed us to the bedroom. Inside was a man who was crying and swearing. It was clear that he was unhappy. His wife introduced my sponsor, and he in turn introduced me. We sat on the floor near the bed and my sponsor began to speak. He talked for about a half hour of his trials with alcohol. Then he looked at me and without saying a word I knew he wanted me to tell my story. Before I even had the first word out of my mouth, the man said, "What am I supposed to do?"
My sponsor again looked at me. Here I was, and I had no idea what I was to say. I began by talking about what had worked for me. I talked of the struggles I had and the triumph I had experienced in the program. Somehow, I knew I was not to label this man an alcoholic; he would need to decide this on his own. I saw the beads of sweat on his forehead and the trembling of his hands, but this was a question he would need to ask himself. His tears continued, and he said, "I'll do anything." Moments later we were in the car on the way to the hospital. My sponsor and I visited him every day while he was in detox. Weeks later, when he was done with rehab, we picked him up and drove him home. He still comes to meetings today. My sponsor and I talked about this experience several times. I learned that we carried a message, but it was up to this man to accept what had been said. This experience still is strong in my memory and so is the help that I received in taking part in this process. Am I willing to carry the message without passing judgment?
It would be so easy to criticize, judge, or even blame when talking with others; but we cannot give any credence to these thoughts. Instead we must control these thoughts and instead trust our Higher Power to give us the words that are needed. Having a firm foundation spiritually is what is needed when staring addiction in the face. Remembering who we are and what has happened to us is important, but we also cannot forget that our experiences in recovery are all a gift. It did not happen because we regained self-control. We listen to the person, but we do not allow ourselves to get wrapped up in his or her denial. We do not let ourselves get wrapped up in our own emotions. Instead, we simply let God work through us to carry the message of recovery. In this way we carry a message of hope. Do I know that my Higher Power will be with me on any twelve step call I make?
God,
You choose me to carry the message; let me choose You when I go to deliver hope. Help me to let go of my own issues and only provide Your message given me in this program. Today, I do not know whether or not this opportunity will present itself; but should the opportunity arise, let me accept this willingly. Walk with me this day, and provide guidance for each step I take.
Amen

bluidkiti 05-26-2016 07:48 AM

May 29

Wisdom for Today
It is important not to give a newcomer the brand of alcoholic or addict. We must let them draw their own conclusions. It does not matter what we think, what matters is the decision they make. What we can do is talk to them about the hopelessness of addiction. We can talk of our own experience and how we found strength through the grace of God and the program. We can share how we found hope. In sharing our experience, it is important to talk of how addiction to alcohol or drugs affected our lives and the consequences we have experienced. We talk of how drinking and drugging influenced our thinking and our behavior. We describe the sense of desperation we felt. We describe the insanity of trying over and over again to control our use, only to fail and jump right back into the same traps. We share our own denial and how it kept us trapped.
We share openly the spiritual aspects of recovery. We talk of the fellowship and the friends we have made, and the support we have gained. Tell the newcomer that he or she does not need to accept our ideas exactly as we present them, but describe the reality of success that thousands and thousands of us have found in working the steps and in finding answers that none of us found previously on our own. Use language that the newcomer will understand and make sense to him or her. The important thing is that we let them decide if they want what we have. We share that they too can learn to live without alcohol and drugs, if they are simply willing to live by these spiritual principles found in the steps. Am I willing to share openly the spiritual principles that helped me find recovery?
God is a constant in our life. He is unchanging and He never leaves our side. He is untiring and He is love. This is the very love that we turn our will and our life over to. His constancy is what we rely on. No matter how big or how small our need is, He is there for us. He knows the proper path for us to follow, and He will always lead us. All we need do is ask and obey, and we will be given the keys to a new and wonderful life. However, this simple concept is not always easy to do. In each of us there is a rebel that still wants to run the show our way. God will not stand in the way of our arrogance, pride, or foolishness. He grants us the freedom to make such a choice. What this means is that I must make a choice each and every day. A choice to do it my way or a choice to do it His way. Yes, we are often tempted to get back in charge, but this never proves to be a wise choice. What choice will I make for myself today?
God,
In your loving kindness, You have reached out to me and offered to show me the way to freedom. You know every step I take even before I do. Grant me willingness to follow and obey You this day. Let me follow You in all that I do this day. Remove from me any arrogance, pride or foolishness that may tempt me and lead me astray. Give me courage to share the spiritual message of recovery through the steps.
Amen.

bluidkiti 05-28-2016 07:07 AM

May 30

Wisdom for Today
“…and practice these principles in all our affairs.” The twelfth step reminds us to practice what we do in all areas of our lives, with practice being the operative word. I recall as I was growing up, my parents always saying, “Practice makes perfect.” But this has not been my experience; in fact, in recovery I think a better statement would be practice makes progress. Practice never made anything I did perfect, but I know it made me better in sports. It made me better at many of the things I do. This is certainly the case with recovery. Over time, I have had my eyes opened as to how I could utilize the principles of the program throughout my life.
I have come to realize that there is very little in my life that I can control. I have learned to ask for help in many of the things I do, my work, my relationships, my faith, and my goals. I have learned to really look hard at myself and my role in what I do, my decisions, and my mistakes. I can use the program to help me in fixing or at least improving many of the situations I face each and every day. I have learned that I need to right my wrongs whenever I can, or at least do what I can in avoiding making the same mistakes over and over again. I have come to realize how important it is to be healthy in all that I do. Still I must practice, practice, and practice. This is how I will make progress in all areas of my life. Am I willing to apply and practice the principles of recovery in all that I do?
Life is sometimes funny. We can look at something over and over again and not see what is really there. This is certainly true for many of us in recovery. The reasons for this are many – denial, self-delusion, dishonesty, lack of awareness, and even our belief system. To be sure this is not a complete list, but certainly are major reasons that addicts and alcoholics walk through life with blinders on or with rose-colored glasses on. When we finally have our eyes opened and can see the reality of our life, we are given an opportunity for change. This is not always an easy choice to make. Sometimes it seems easier to fall right back into our old ways. This is not just true about our addiction, but also true about all of our life. The program tells us to deal with life on life’s terms. It also teaches us the value of honesty. It really is uncanny how we can fool ourselves, but I have come to believe that God reveals to us the errors in our perception, beliefs, and thinking. Do I see that my Higher Power presents me with opportunities for change throughout my life?
God,
Today I know that You will give me many opportunities for progress. Give me sight and strength to seize these opportunities. Let me practice what I know in all that I do. Let me take today and use it as an opportunity to learn new ways to live in a healthier way. Let me make the changes that You want from me. Help me to seek out Your direction for me in all that I do.
Amen