Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums

Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/index.php)
-   Daily Recovery Readings (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   More Recovery Thoughts and Quotes - June (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3858)

MajestyJo 06-01-2014 03:06 AM

More Recovery Thoughts and Quotes - June

AA 'Big Book' - Quote

We never, never try to arrange a man's life so as to shield him from temptation. The slightest disposition on your part to guide his appointments or his affairs so he will not be tempted will be noticed. Make him feel absolutely free to come and go as he likes. This is important. If he gets drunk, don't blame yourself. God has either removed your husband's liquor problem or He has not. If not, it had better be found out right away. Then you and your husband can get right down to fundamentals. - Pg. 120 - To Wives

=====

Hour To Hour - Book - Quote

The reality of our illness is simple, we have it! Once we see that we have the disease of chemical dependency, then we can admit that we are addicted to whatever, and then we can accept the help we are offered.

I accept my humanness and accept my non-perfection in order to accept the help of those in recovery.

=====

Responsibility

Today, I see that I can't release something just because someone tells me that it is the right or nice thing to do. Until I have moved through an internal process of identifying honestly what is going on with me, I can't really let it go. Honesty means that I am willing to be responsible. Whatever negative characteristics may have become a part of me from living with unhealed pain are, unfortunately, mine to deal with now. Projecting and blaming will not get me closer to getting rid of them. If I do not own my feelings, they will own me.

- Tian Dayton PhD

=====

Member Submitted Quotes

Faith is not belief without proof; it's trust without reservation. ( Sarah J. )

=====

Misc. AA Literature - Quote

Deep down in every man, woman, and child is the fundamental idea of a God. It may be obscured by calamity, by pomp, by worship of other things, but in some form or other it is there. For faith in a Power greater than ourselves, and miraculous demonstrations of that Power in human lives are facts as old as man himself.
<<<>>>
'Faith may often be given through inspired teaching or a convincing personal example of its fruits. It may sometimes be had through reason. For instance, many clergymen believe that St. Thomas Aquinas actually proved God's existence by sheer logic. But what can one do when all these channels fail? This was my own grievous dilemma.
'It was only when I came fully to believe I was powerless over alcohol, only when I appealed to a God who just might exist, that I experienced a spiritual awakening. This freedom-giving experience came first, and then faith followed afterward--a gift indeed!

=====

Pocket Sponsor - Book - Quote

If you meet more than three assholes in one day, you need a meeting. If you meet more than four, you need a meeting and to call your sponsor. Any more than that and you better be reviewing Steps One, Two and Three real hard.

When too many assholes get in my way, it means I need a check-up from the neck up.

=====

From "Walk Softly and Carry a Big Book" - Book

At the start of meetings we always ask, 'Is there anybody new or coming back?' We should also ask, 'Is there anybody old and going out?'

=====

Archives

Boy - I'm going to give you a couple of minutes.... to try and imagine - how little I care, about what you think of me.
And how important this realization is going to be - to the rest of your sobriety.

2. Sobriety is not between you and me - It's between a God of my understanding and me. To thine own self be true.

3. Sharing God's gifts with you - feels good. Possibly His little way of motivating me to continue to do it.

MajestyJo 06-02-2014 06:17 AM

AA 'Big Book' - Quote

Dr. Harry M. Tiebout, psychiatrist: 'As a psychiatrist, I have thought a great deal about the relationship of my specialty to A.A. and I have come to the conclusion that our particular function can very often lie in preparing the way for the patient to accept any sort of treatment or outside help. I now conceive the psychiatrist's job to be the task of breaking down the patient's inner resistance so that which is inside him will flower, as under the activity of the A.A. program.'

Pg. 569 - 4th. Ed. - Appendices III - The Medical View On A.A.

=====

An understanding of the false 'benefits' of mind-affecting chemicals is required so we can begin anew. An understanding of the 'tricks' of the mind to get us to use is also needed. Then we can enter into the truth.

God, as I understand You, bring the light of truth to my eyes.

=====

Patience with Myself

Today, I will be patient with myself. When I do not do as well as I wish I would, I will not make that a reason to get down on myself. I will instead recognize that the fastest way to bring myself out of a painful funk is through understanding and being good to myself. I needn't get caught in my own cycle of shame, resentment and blame. If a child is upset, I comfort the child because I understand that is what will makes things better. I give myself the same comfort that I would extend to a hurt child knowing that it will help me have the strength to forgive and move on.

- Tian Dayton PhD

=====

Member Submitted Quotes

If it feels good, do it... If it doesn't, fix it... If you can't fix it, forget it... If you can't forget it, file it away for future reference... But, for God's sake ( and your own ) DON'T DO IT AGAIN! ( Gayle )

=====

Suppose A.A. falls under sharp public attack or heavy ridicule, having little or no justification in fact. Our best defense in these situations would be no defense whatever--namely, complete silence at the public level. If in good humor we let unreasonable critics alone, they are apt to subside the more quickly. If their attacks persist and it is plain that they are misinformed, it may be wise to communicate with them privately in a temperate and informative way.
If, however, a given criticism of A.A. is partly or wholly justified, it may be well to acknowledge this privately to the critics, together with our thanks.
But under no conditions should we exhibit anger or any punitive intent.
<<<>>>
What we must recognize is that we exult in some of our defects. Self-righteous anger can be very enjoyable. In a perverse way we can actually take satisfaction from the fact that many people annoy us; it brings a comfortable feeling of superiority.

=====

What comes after ninety days? Ninety-one! 'Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.' ~Will Rogers

There are only two times I have to diligently work this program, the first 90 days and every day after that!

=====

Try to live life without adding to your 8th Step list.

=====

Practice opposites to find peace of mind - Soldier Billy. / STINGO - Stop Think Inhale Now Go On - Soldier Billy.

WASP - Wait Absorb Slowly Proceed - Soldier Billy.

Trust in Allah but tie your camel to the post - Soldier Billy.

MajestyJo 06-03-2014 02:26 AM

AA 'Big Book' - Quote

Many could recover if they had the opportunity we have enjoyed. How then shall we present that which has been so freely given us?

We have concluded to publish an anonymous volume setting forth the problem as we see it. We shall bring to task our combined experperience and knowledge. This should suggest a useful program for anyone concerned with a drinking problem. - Pg. 19 - There Is A Solution

=====

The whole of our first year is a withdrawal period. This is a condition of chaos: chaotic emotions, chaotic thoughts, chaotic family situations, chaotic desires. But we take one step at a time, one hour at a time and the chaos eventually calms.

I know everything changes and the chaos will pass in these changes as long as I don't use mind-affecting chemicals.

One of my all time favourites, have been reading and sharing it for years.

=====

Blaming Others

Today, I understand that dumping blame on someone else does not relieve pain or make my life better in any way. If I reach out to others by attacking and blaming them, how can I expect them to hear anything that I say? If I want to be heard, I need to risk being see -- not as I wish to be seen but as I am. I ask too much of someone else when I say obnoxious things and yet insist on being heard. If I really want someone to understand me, I need to risk being vulnerable and let me feelings show. Pointing a finger at someone else will only make them want to point a finger at me. It is hard to feel vulnerable, but with practice, it will become easier. I will be left with more of my real self if I don't tear at the self of someone else.

- Tian Dayton PhD

=====

Member Submitted Quotes

A fear faced is a fear erased.

=====

An early fear was that of slips or relapses. At first nearly every alcoholic we approached began to slip, it indeed he sobered up at all. Others would stay dry six months or maybe a year and then take a skid. This was always a genuine catastrophe. We would all look at each other and say, Who next?
Today, through slips are a very serious difficulty, as a group we take them in stride. Fear has evaporated. Alcohol always threatens the individual, but we know that it cannot destroy the common welfare.

<<<>>>

'It does not seem to pay to argue with 'slippers' about the proper method of getting dry. After all, why should people who are drinking tell people who are dry how it should be done?
'Just kid the boys along--ask them if they are having fun. If they are too noisy or troublesome, amiably keep out of their way.

=====

Rather than getting even with those that hurt you, the challenge is to get even with those that help you.

I can't be resentful and grateful at the same time.

=====

One way to tell how well you are practicing the principles in all of your affairs is to notice how you treat people who can be of no service to you.

=====

Think the same - React the same - Say the same - Expect the same - and you will feel the same - Soldier Billy.

Don't expect and you will not be disappointed - Soldier Billy.

Resentment makes resentment - Soldier Billy.

Drinking on a problem is like trying to put a fire out with petrol - Soldier Billy.

MajestyJo 06-04-2014 02:41 AM

Releasing of Perfectionism

Today, I will not demand that my life be perfect in order for me to love it, nor will I demand that all my relationships be perfect for me to value and respect them. If I try to make my life and relationships perfect, I will be constantly engaged in a neurotic battle with my transitory illusion of perfection. There is no such thing as an ideal, and to insist that life be ideal is to miss the forest for the trees. I will not condemn myself to the constant feeling that I have drawn the short straw. Perfection is in the eyes of the beholder -- it is subjective. I will not ask the moment to be more than the moment -- I will not be conditional in my love.

- Tian Dayton PhD

=====

Member Submitted Quotes

I didn't get my life back in this program... I got my life for the first time.

=====

We give thanks to our Heavenly Father, who through so many friends and through many means and channels, has allowed us to construct this wonderful edifice of the spirit in which we are now dwelling--this cathedral whose foundations already rest upon the corners of the earth.
On its great floor we have inscribed our Twelve Steps of recovery. On the side walls, the buttresses of A.A. Traditions have been set in place to contain us in unity for as long as God may will it so. Eager hearts and hands have lifted the spire of our cathedral into its place. That spire bears the name of service. May it ever point straight upward toward God.

'Its is not only to the few that we owe the remarkable developments in our unity and in our ability to carry A.A.'s message everywhere. It is to the many; indeed, it is to the labors of all of us that owe these prime blessings.

=====

Humility is not so much thinking less of yourself as it is thinking of yourself less.

True humility is accepting myself without embellishment and without embarrassment.

=====

You need newcomers to tell you where you came from; old-timers, to tell you where you could go, and a sponsor to tell you where you are at.

=====

Resentment - The best cure is to ask your self: Have I ever done what I am resenting that person for? - Soldier Billy.

I have never met anyone who came into AA because the price of alcohol was raised - Soldier Billy.

The very things that once destroyed me, have become the very foundations of who I am today in recovery.

MajestyJo 06-05-2014 10:03 AM

AA 'Big Book' - Quote

Whether the family goes on a spiritual basis or not, the alcoholic member has to if he would recover. The others must be convinced of his new status beyond the shadow of a doubt. Seeing is believing to most families who have lived with a drinker. - Pg. 135 - The Family Afterward

=====

When we describe recovery as 'accepting a fate worse than death,' we don't understand the true nature of acceptance. This is called the 'sigh and die' syndrome. Rather than dwell on what can't be changed, we learn to do what is right at this moment, in this hour.

I don't want to be a part of the 'sigh and die' syndrome. Right this moment, I will pick up another book on recovery and read one page, any page, and that will break the spell.

=====

A Healthy Heart

Today, I will pray for help in forgiveness. My prayers have power in unseen realms. Research has borne out over and over again that prayer can be as effective a healer as medication at times. I will rely on the deep truth of the power of the unseen; invisible hands will guide my prayer. There is a peace within me that surpasses all understanding. Today, I will cultivate that peace by taking time to go within. The world within me is as real as anything I see. It sustains and nurtures me. It is of more value to me than I can imagine. I need this part of me to be alive and well. I need a healthy heart.

- Tian Dayton PhD

=====

Member Submitted Quotes

If you refuse to accept anything but the best you very often get it.

(Really like this, what I put out, I get back. As a friend told me many years ago, put it out the the Universe and see what you get back.)

=====

An improved perception of humility starts a revolutionary change in our outlook. Out eyes begin to open to the immense values which have come straight out of painful ego-puncturing. Until now, our lives have been largely devoted to running from pain and problems. Escape via the bottle was always our solution.
Then, in A.A., we looked and listened. Everywhere we saw failure and misery transformed by humility into priceless assets.

<<<>>>

To those who have made progress in A.A., humility amounts to a clear recognition of what and who we really are, followed by a sincere attempt to become what we could be.

=====

Don't get �seeking serenity' con-fused with �seeking utopia.' The Twelve-Step programs do not open the gates of heaven to let us in, they open the gates of hell to let us out.

I feel lighter and better about myself when I don't expect a perfect world simply because I am clean and sober.

=====

Sponsors: they won�t let you, get you.

(Always said I was my worst enemy.)

=====

Drinking on a problem is like trying to put a fire out with petrol - Soldier Billy.

Resentment - The best cure is to ask your self: Have I ever done what I am resenting that person for? - Soldier Billy.

I have never met anyone who came into AA because the price of alcohol was raised - Soldier Billy.

MajestyJo 06-05-2014 10:09 AM

Quote:

Soldier Billy didn't know me. When my husband left me and I was on Mother's Allowance, I realized that I couldn't keep myself in the style that I had become accustomed too. I ended up using more pills, but then I found out that they were like dried up alcohol. In the end I was using both. My doctor was my supplier for years, I had to change doctors in recovery.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...4dxMznSxSX8ODl

MajestyJo 06-06-2014 03:22 AM

AA 'Big Book' - Quote

For the type of alcoholic who is able and willing to get well, little charity, in the ordinary sense of the word, is needed or wanted. The men who cry for money and shelter before conquering alcohol, are on the wrong track. - Pg. 97 - Working With Others

=====

Compulsion is a word you will hear a lot now that you have made the decision to begin recovery. You may often feel compelled to drink or use drugs again even when you don't want to. Compulsion is a symptom of our disease and we use all the new tools of our program to counteract compulsions.

Please help me understand that compulsion is a symptom of my disease and as such need not be acted upon. I offer my compulsive behavior to God, as I understand God.

=====

Entering the Darkness

Today, I will allow myself to enter into the dark and searing painful experiences of my past, and cry it all out. If I can bring emotional literacy and forgiveness into the 'occupied territory' of my inner world, I can give myself the freedom I desire. I have a world within me that is deep and peaceful. The grief that I carry hidden in silence has great feelings in the present, and I release them. There is no longer any safety for me in hiding. My security comes from full awareness and acceptance of who I am. Until I understand my grief and allow myself to know it, I will not be free of its grip.

- Tian Dayton PhD

=====

Member Submitted Quotes

Fear knocked on my door... I opened it and there was nobody there.

:85:

=====

We recall, a little ruefully, how much store we used to set by imagination as it tried to create reality out of bottles. Yes, we revealed in that sort of thinking, didn't we? And, through sober nowadays, don't we often try to do much the same thing?
Perhaps our trouble was not that we used our imagination. Perhaps the real trouble was our almost total inability to point imagination toward the right objectives. there's nothing the matter with truly constructive imagination; all sound achievement rests upon it. After all, no man can build a house until he first visions a plan for it.

=====

You must be prepared to make some unpopular decisions when you live by principle. You will not be able to please everyone. Be firm with others as you chose the principle and not the personality; be firm with your personality as it butts heads with your principles.

By practicing principles in all my affairs, I learn not to 'people please� but to 'Higher Power Please.'

=====

If a solution isn�t practical, it isn�t spiritual.

:87:

=====

The very things that once destroyed me, have become the very foundations of who I am today in recovery.

I put down the food to get closer to GOD. - Renee M.

If God takes us to it, he will take us through it.

MajestyJo 06-07-2014 07:21 AM

AA 'Big Book' - Quote

Next day found the prospect more receptive. He had been thinking it over. 'Maybe you're right,' he said. 'God ought to be able to do anything.' Then he added, 'He sure didn't do much for me when I was trying to fight this booze racket alone.'

On the third day the lawyer gave his life to the care and direction of his Creator, and said he was perfectly willing to do anything necessary. His wife came, scarcely daring to be hopeful, though she thought she saw something different about her husband already. He had begun to have a spiritual experience. - Pg. 158 - A Vision For You

=====

The darker the shadow, the brighter the Light. As we stop using and leave the shadow of drug addiction, we slowly begin to see the new light of our life. Sometimes it is so bright, it hurts. We are not used to it.

God, as I understand You, as I clean up and the Light of recovery hurts, help me understand, adjust, and be grateful to leave the shadow.

=====

Prayer and Miracles

Today, I will pray for a miracle in a situation that seems too much for me to handle or understand. There are times when I just don't have what it takes to work out a situation. I'm too loaded up with fears and anxieties. What could it hurt to pray for a little divine guidance or intervention? At the very least, it will help ease my burden; and at best, it will aid in a genuine shift in perception that might truly help my situation. When I feel stuck and as if I have explored every option and am still nowhere, I will pray for a miracle.

- Tian Dayton PhD

=====

Member Submitted Quotes

Recognizing someone else's human dignity cannot cost you your own.

=====

We found that the principals of tolerance and love had to be emphasized in actual practice. We can never say (or insinuate) to anyone that he must agree to our formula or be excommunicated. The atheist may stand up in an A.A. meeting still denying the Deity, yet reporting how vastly he has been changed in attitude and outlook. Much experience tells us he will presently change his mind about God, but nobody tells him he must do so.
In order to carry the principle of inclusiveness and tolerance still further, we make no religious requirement of anyone. All people having an alcoholic problem who wish to get rid of it and so make a happy adjustment with the sincerity is needed. But we do not demand even this.
In such as atmosphere the orthodox, the unorthodox, and the unbeliever mix happily and usefully together. An opportunity for spiritual growth is open to all.

=====

We need special people in our lives so that we can travel the path of recovery. The special people are easy to find, they are right in front of you. They are called 'winners.'

I stick with the winners and win with the stickers.

=====

You're not responsible for your disease, but you are responsible for your recovery.

=====

Member Submitted Quotes - Archive Page

Prior to coming to AA, when I told my family I was not going to ever drink again.... my intentions were good.
But because of what they saw, it was difficult for them to hear what I was saying.

The task in front of you is never greater than the power behind you. No human power could have relieved our alcoholism.
Remember, nothing is going to happen to you today that you and God cannot handle together. ODAAT

An alcoholic is a person who wants to be held while he's isolating. - Pandora N.

Hit your knees... not the bottle!

MajestyJo 06-08-2014 02:31 AM

AA 'Big Book' - Quote

We will be more reconciled to discussing ourselves with another person when we see good reasons why we should do so. The best reason first: If we skip this vital step, we may not overcome drinking. Time after time newcomers have tried to keep to themselves certain facts about their lives. Trying to avoid this humbling experience, they have turned to easier methods. Almost invariably they got drunk. - Pgs. 72-73 - Into Action

=====

The worst form of blindness is emotional blindness. We say 'love is blind' but we must recognize that 'hate is blind', 'fear is blind', and 'anger is blind' as well. Intense emotions obscure our sight and in this first month, our emotions run amuck. We must accept this and use our program, treatment center, counselor, sponsor, and meetings as our 'seeing eye dog.'

My Spiritual Source helps me recognize that my emotions are more intense now then usual. I may not be seeing life as clearly as I will in the future.

=====

Emotional Recovery

Our Own Good

Today, I accept that I do not always know what is best for me. There are times when I am completely confused about what to do for myself and for those around me, because I can't see how my own issues are surfacing and coloring my present. These are the days when I need to pray and to understand that my prayers are heard. I never whisper to God that I am not heard. Prayer is my medium for change and growth. It is with me all the time, and there is no moment when I can't elevate my consciousness and conscious contact through it. It is my way of talking to my higher self and turning over my lower self to the loving, compassionate care of a Higher Power.

- Tian Dayton PhD

=====

Member Submitted Quotes

Funny... I ruined my health by drinking to other's!

Me too! :blush:

=====

The real question is whether we can learn anything from our experiences upon which we may grow and help others to grow in the likeness and image of God.

We know that if we rebel against doing that which is reasonably possible for us, then we will be penalized. And we will be equally penalized if we presume in ourselves a perfection that simply is not there.

Apparently, the course of relative humility and progress will have to lie somewhere between these extremes. In our slow progress away from rebellion, true perfection is doubtless several millennia away.

=====

Progress, not perfection� No matter how long you have been in recovery, no matter how long you have worked the steps, you will never raise above the level of human being.

I claim spiritual progress today, not spiritual perfection.

=====

Take the First Step, not the Thirst Step

=====

Keep coming back... it works if you LIVE it!

Without Him, I can't.... without me, He won't!

The first thing you put in front of your sobriety is the second thing you'll lose.

MajestyJo 06-09-2014 02:17 AM

AA 'Big Book' - Quote

Perhaps you have a husband who is at large, but who should be committed. Some men cannot or will not get over alcoholism. When they become too dangerous, we think the kind thing is to lock them up, but of course a good doctor should always be consulted. The wives and children of such men suffer horribly, but not more than the men themselves.

But sometimes you must start life anew. We know women who have done it. If such women adopt a spiritual way of life their road will be smoother. - Pg. 114 - To Wives

=====

KISS. Keep It Simple Stupid. We are not suggesting we are stupid, but our disease is. It will do anything it can to keep us using even though it ultimately means death of itself along with the body. But through following a few SIMPLE suggestions we can release ourselves from the stupidity.

May I understand that my stupid disease will argue and complicate simple procedures so it can gain a foothold in the confusion it creates. KISS off addiction. :kiss::kiss:

=====

Tian Dayton, PhD. - Book Quotes - Emotional Sobriety

Freeing Me

Today, I understand that in forgiving someone else I free myself. I held back on forgiveness because it seemed too kind an act for those who had hurt me. Why should I make them feel good? Why should I let them off the hook? I understand now that forgiving someone else and letting go - when I am truly ready - dissolves the resentment that is stored within me. I will not jump to forgiveness too quickly, forcing myself to do what I am not sincerely able to do. I will not forgive because it is the right thing to do. I will fully feel and acknowledge all that blocks me, and I will give myself the time I need to do this. When I do forgive, it will be to set myself free, to let go of the past and move on.

- Tian Dayton PhD

=====

Member Submitted Quotes

Unless I accept my virtues, I will be overwhelmed with my faults.

=====

We alcoholics are the biggest rationalizers in the world. Fortified with the excuse that we are doing great things for A.A., we can, through broken anonymity, resume our old and disastrous pursuit of personal power and prestige, public honors, and money--the same implacable urges that, when frustrated, once caused us to drink.

<<<>>>

Dr. Bob was essentially a far more humble person than I, and anonymity came rather easily to him. When it was sure that he was mortally afflicted, some of his friends suggested that there should be a monument erected in honor of him and his wife, Anne--befitting a founder and his lady. Telling me about this, Dr. Bob grinned broadly and said, 'God bless 'em. They mean well. But let's you and me get buried just like other folks.'

In the Akron cemetery where Dr. Bob and Anne lie, the simple stone says not a word about A.A. This final example of self-effacement is of more permanent worth to A.A. than any amount of public attention or any great monument.

=====

People in our fellowships who think they are too big to do little things are perhaps too little to be asked to do big things.

I remember where I came from.

=====

You can�t be fired for on-the-job sobriety.

=====

One day at a time, is like building a house one brick at a time,
if you don't take another drink until the day you die, you would have built a castle.

Then, I lived a life of Hell, Got Sober, Now I live A HELLUVA LIFE.

You can take the rum out of fruit cake but you still have fruit cake!

MajestyJo 06-10-2014 03:42 AM

AA 'Big Book' - Quote

I earnestly advise every alcoholic to read this book through, and though perhaps he came to scoff, he may remain to pray.

William D. Silkworth, M.D. - Pg. xxxii - 4th. Edition - The Doctor's Opinion

Always said the Big Book helped me to learn about my disease. It helped me to see I was not alone. It introduced me to the 12 Steps, and then I went to the AA 12 & 12, to how to work them and apply them to my life.

=====

Many times we thought we used chemicals because we were unhappy, but coming to this program, we discovered that using too many chemicals is what made us unhappy. Now is the time to break the old unhappy pattern.

This hour, I am beginning the new clean and sober pattern of my life.

=====

Suffering

Today, I will not hide my pain and suffering from myself or from my Higher Power. When I bring my most honest and pure self to the fore and understand my essential powerlessness over situations, when I am truly willing to turn over this angst to a power greater than myself, something changes. I let go and create space for a shift in perception. I experience a quiet awakening in my life, and forces that did not have room to enter are coming in to heal me. It is in letting go that I have a chance of achieving what I desire in my life. Holding on pushes away what I want, while releasing lets it all have enough breathing room so it can stay alive.

I open my heart to my Higher Power.

- Tian Dayton PhD

=====

Member Submitted Quotes

God answers our prayers in four ways: 1. No 2. Yes 3. Wait 4. I have a better idea in mind. ( Bob )

=====

I heard: 1) No 2) Yes 3) Maybe 4) You got to be kidding!

=====

We do not relate intimate experiences of another member unless we are sure he would approve. We find it better, when possible, to stick to our own stories. A man may criticize or laugh at himself and it will affect others favorably, but criticism or ridicule aimed at someone else produces the contrary effect.
<<<>>>
A continuous look at our assets and liabilities, and a real desire to learn and grow by this means are necessities for us. We alcoholics have learned this the hard way. More experienced people, of course, in all times and places have practiced unsparing self-survey and criticism.

=====

Many problems will be averted with a very simple code for behavior. This is called 'kindness.' Kindness is more then politeness; it means a warm concern for the other person's feelings.

I let my kindness be a gift to another and the tag reads, 'Please handle with tender loving care.�

=====

Live today as you want to remember your life.

=====

The only thing more important than my recovery is my Recovery!!

"I'm sober today cause I ain't drank no liquor today." Harold B. - 33 Years sober & counting..

When I take the "me" out of blame; all I have is bla, bla, bla...

MajestyJo 06-11-2014 03:33 AM

AA 'Big Book' - Quote

All changes made over the years in the Big Book ( A.A. members' fond nickname for this volume ) have had the same purpose: to represent the current membership of Alcoholics Anonymous more accurately, and thereby to reach more alcoholics. If you have a drinking problem, we hope that you may pause in reading one of the forty-two personal stories and think: 'Yes, that happened to me'; or, more important, 'Yes, I've felt like that'; or, most important, 'Yes, I believe this program can work for me too.' - Pg. xii - 4th. Edition - Preface

=====

When we feel like we can't hold on for a whole day, we get a clock and hold on for an hour. When an hour is too long, we hold on for 10 minutes. At the end of 10, do another 10, and another and another, until it's OK.

Help me make it from hour to hour, or minute to minute if need be!

My sponsor has Narcolepsy and can have a seizure any time. She always said to me, "Most times for me it is a second at a time."

=====

Truth

Today, I accept that without truth there is nothing. Truth is the soil out of which sustenance grows and nourishment comes, so that we can move in healthy directions. Lies have no food value and starve my spirit; but truth though it can hurt, has a way of hoeing and tilling the soil so that some new growth can occur. Even though knowing the truth may seem unnecessary somewhere inside, I know it anyway. Bringing truth out into the open gives me a chance to lift the veil of secrecy that has made a wound feel like a dark hole. It allows angst to transform and break into a thousand little somethings that each contain usable and illuminating information that can again nurture health and life.

I am willing to live with truth.
- Tian Dayton PhD

=====

Member Submitted Quotes

Dear God, Help me keep my opinion out of your way today.
( Maria E. )

:eek:

=====

We need to distinguish sharply between spiritual simplicity and functional simplicity.
When we say that A.A. advocates no theological proposition except God as we understand Him, we greatly simplify A.A. life by avoiding conflict and exclusiveness.
But when we get into questions of action by groups, by areas, and by A.A. as a whole, we find that we must to some extent organize to carry the message--or else face chaos. And chaos is not simplicity.
<<<>>>
I learned that the temporary or seeming good can often be the deadly enemy of the permanent best. When it comes to survival for A.A., nothing short of our very best will be good enough.

Amen!

=====

'Take the cotton out of your ears and put it in your mouth� applies to the old-timer as well as the beginner�anyone who is too fond of their own voice.

Ironically, the first time I heard it was from a guy who shared at a meeting, and when they had a cigarette break, he would go into the restroom and have a few swigs of whisky from a decanter. I didn't pay much attention, but one night I went to a speaker meeting, something I seldom did, went to open discussion meetings. This same guy was 7 years sober, and I heard the words, and it was just what I needed to hear in the moment.

=====

You must go within or you go without.

:1:

=====

Don't explain why you can't drink just say your allergic to alcohol and people leave you alone put to rest the debate...
I'm allergic to alcohol, I break out in felonies....

Relationship: Really Exciting Love Affair Turns Into Outrageous Nightmare Sobriety Hangs In Peril
Carrie C.

You can never be Perfect BUT; you can ALWAYS be better! - Mike P.

yukonm 06-12-2014 06:32 AM

June 12

AA 'Big Book' - Quote

Without knowing it, had we not been brought to where we stood by a certain kind of faith? For did we not believe in our own reasoning? Did we not have confidence in our ability to think? What was that but a sort of faith? Yes, we had been faithful, abjectly faithful to the God of Reason. So, in one way or another, we discovered that faith had been involved all the time! - Pgs. 53-54 - We Agnostics

Just as we begin to learn that others are not responsible for us using or drinking, we learn that they are not responsible for keeping us clean and sober. Only we can not pick up that first fix, pill or drink. Only we can lay the foundation of our recovery -- abstinence.

When I am tempted to use again, let me see the excuses as the mental tricks they are. I will talk to a sober person first!

Healing

Sometimes, healing doesn't feel good. Sometimes, it involves deep pain. The effect of healing is gentle, freeing and wonderful, but the road leading to it can be hellish. Now, I understand what the Psalms mean by, 'valley of the shadow of death.' They were referring to a spiritual enlightenment involving a death and a rebirth. In order to be born into enlightenment, it is necessary that I face and clear out the dark and scary parts of myself. I need all of me for a life of spiritual freedom.

Today, I know that I was never alone along the way, and that I need never feel alone again.

- Tian Dayton PhD

If there is someone weaker than you, be kind to them. If there is someone stronger than you, be kind to yourself.

What kind of person am I? The kind, kind.

"Walk Softly and Carry a Big Book" - Book

There is no situation so bad that a compulsive action can't make it worse.

There is no situation so bad that a compulsive action can't make it worse.

Alkiespeak - Book - Quote

A lot of alcoholics say: 'Well there's us, and then there's normal people.' Read my lips: There are no normal people. There are just people who haven't shared with you yet. - Ken D

yukonm 06-13-2014 05:36 AM

June 13

AA 'Big Book' - Quote

This is the baffling feature of alcoholism as we know it - this utter inability to leave it alone, no matter how great the necessity or the wish. - Pg. 34 - More About Alcoholism

Today we begin the greatest journey of our life. Before we lived to the dictates of that first fix, pill, drink, smoke, or snort. Today we begin living to the dictates of spiritual law. It is our most challenging task. This will take everything we have and it will be worth a thousand times more then that.

Take my hand God, as I understand You, and lead me in this most important task.

Resentment Incoherence

The incoherence that results from holding onto resentments and unforgiving attitudes keeps you from being aligned with your true self. It can block you from your next level of quality life experience. Metaphorically, it's the curtain standing between the room you're living in now and a new room, much larger and full of beautiful objects. The act of forgiveness removes the curtain. Clearing up your old accounts can free up so much energy that you jump right into a whole new house. Forgiving releases you from the punishment of a self-made prison where you are both the inmate and the jailer.

- Doc Childre and Howard Martin

submitted by Tian Dayton PhD

You don't have to eat, breathe, and bathe in our fellowship, but you do need to eat, breathe, and bathe in program. This is because you must practice these principles in all your affairs. The only way to do it in all your affairs is to DO IT in all your affairs.

If I'm working my program, I needn't worry about others working theirs.

In NA, there are no losers--just slow winners.

Time for Joy - Book - Quote

I am open to experience my connection with God and all the people I meet on my path today. There is new joy each time I realize our sameness rather than our separateness.

I was so full of fury and I loathed people but I wanted everybody to like me ...which really creates torque. - Charlie C.

yukonm 06-14-2014 06:06 AM

June 14

AA 'Big Book' - Quote

We do not like to pronounce any individual as alcoholic, but you can quickly diagnose yourself. Step over to the nearest barroom and try some controlled drinking. Try to drink and stop abruptly. Try it more than once. It will not take long for you to decide, if you are honest with yourself about it. It may be worth a bad case of jitters if you get a full knowledge of your condition. - Pgs. 31-32 - More About Alcoholism

We've heard people say, 'Be humble and you will not stumble.' There's more truth in this then its simplicity implies.

May the God of my understanding enable me to be humble without being humiliated.

Ego Death

When I begin to experience real love, I go through an ego death. On my road to spiritual freedom, which is nothing more than learning to love, I go through what has long been called a dark night of the soul. This is a death of the ego, not in the Freudian sense, but in the way ego is defined in Eastern philosophy. I have a small 'I' and a large 'I.'
Part of my path toward expansion into my larger external self, which is of God and Love, is a death of my smaller self, which sees the world as here only to feed my needs. Really it is through the recognition of giving and receiving and of loving that we become full.
I allow and understand my ego death.

- Tian Dayton PhD

This too shall pass. Sometimes it passes like a gentle breeze and sometimes it passes kinda like a kidney stone. Whichever, we can promise that whatever vexes you now, shall pass.

I give time, time because I know that when God made time, He/She made plenty of it.

If resentment is not relinquished entirely, it is not relinquished at all.

Time for Joy - Book - Quote

I am open to experience my connection to God and all the people i meet on my path today. There is new joy each time I realize our sameness rather than our separateness.

Detach = Don't Even Try To Change Him/Her. - Anon.