Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums

Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/index.php)
-   Daily Spiritual Meditations (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Daily Reprieve - October (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1013)

bluidkiti 09-30-2013 09:09 AM

Daily Reprieve - October

October 1

A BEGGAR

"Be patient in trouble, and keep on praying." Romans 12:12

"We have prayed, we have begged, we have been patient." Alcoholics Anonymous, page 105

For what it's worth: Prayer and patience did not live in the same neighborhood with my alcoholism. Actually, patient prayer became part of my life only after many years of sobriety in Alcoholics Anonymous. I had to live the Twelve Steps daily to achieve a spiritual awakening, opening my soul to the effectiveness of praying, praying, and praying. I cannot count the times I started to believe God was not listening, but the people and the principles of Alcoholics Anonymous encouraged me to be patient and keep praying, even begging, if needed. These days I can easily beg because every time I practice this spiritual concept, it works. Every single issue prayed about has not only improved, it has turned out to be a blessing to me and others.

God bless you.
Joe W.

bluidkiti 10-01-2013 09:38 AM

October 2

A LITTLE, LOST LAMB

"When doubts filled my mind, your comfort gave me renewed hope and cheer." Psalm 94:19

"I was to sit quietly when in doubt, asking only for direction and strength to meet my problems as He would have me." Alcoholics Anonymous, page 13

For what it's worth: When doubtful, I drank. What was an alcoholic to do? I had no options until I was sober in Alcoholics Anonymous. Even then, because of my prideful resistance, I was slow to learn and reluctant to trust. The key was coming to believe a Good Shepherd loved this little, lost lamb. He would guide me along what appeared to me to be a dark trail. I had never been there before. I could not see what was ahead, and I feared where I might be headed. I had to give up control and take the next step into the dark even though I was sheepish. Every time I did, it was the right step in the right direction at the right time. My Good Shepherd was always and will always be there for His little, lost lamb.

God bless you.
Joe W.

BW1 10-01-2013 11:36 AM

Pray
Trust ["Trust God and clean house"]
Accept [Gratefully "Thy will be done"]

and then

Pray
Until
Something
Happens

:169:

bluidkiti 10-02-2013 10:49 AM

October 3

HONOR AND RESPONSIBILITY

“This the sponsor promptly proves by talking freely and easily, and without exhibitionism, about his own defects, past and present.” 12&12 p.46

“Listen to advice and accept instruction, and in the end you will be wise.” Proverbs 19:20

For what it's worth: From my first day in Alcoholics Anonymous, I was challenged to do my best to stay sober. But, there was nothing left in me. Alcoholism had crushed it all. I had to find strength somewhere else. I was blessed to find a wise sponsor. He shared his experience, strength, and hope with me, and I learned from him how to meet the challenge of sobriety and began a spiritual journey that would some day result in being asked to be a sponsor. That is an honor and an awesome responsibility that brings both smiles and tears. Some you work with will provide laughs and joy; others will break your heart.

God bless you.
Joe W.

bluidkiti 10-03-2013 10:50 AM

October 4

THE GIFT OF LOVE

"It was impossible to say we had no capacity for faith, or love, or worship." Alcoholics Anonymous, page 54

"Praise the Lord, for he has shown me his unfailing love." Psalm 31:21

For what it's worth: Part of my despair during the last years of my drinking was certainty that God has destined me to live without love. I vividly remember that miserable, lonely existence. I pray to the One who rescued me I never have to go back there again. During my sobriety in Alcoholics Anonymous, God has proven “His unfailing love” and given me the capacity to love and be loved. He has placed people in my life who have my picture beside their bed or in their home; and theirs mine. For this once lonely, unloving, and unlovable drunk, this is a treasure I never expected to find.

God bless you.
Joe W.

bluidkiti 10-04-2013 11:38 AM

October 5

JUDGING OTHERS

"The inventory was ours, not the other man's." Alcoholics Anonymous, page 67

"Hypocrite! First get rid of the log from your own eye; then perhaps you will see well enough to deal with the speck in your friend's eye." Luke 6:42

For what it's worth: Judging others was second nature to me for years, and my drinking made it vicious. I carried this evil practice into recovery with me, but Alcoholics Anonymous soon taught me of its dangers. The Fourth Step introduced me to my fear involved in judging others, and helped me realize what a hypocrite I am. A quick glance at my past proves I am no one to judge others. My sponsor taught me how to study others to know who to lean on when I am weak, but without judgment. Even after years of practice, I can still mess this up, so I am grateful to have Step Ten and a patient Heavenly Father.

God bless you.
Joe W.

bluidkiti 10-05-2013 10:18 AM

October 6

A WINNER OVER LOSS

"Be merciful to me, O LORD, for I am in distress; my eyes grow weak with sorrow, my soul and my body with grief." Psalm 31:9

"He will also report that out of every season of grief or suffering, when the hand of God seemed heavy or even unjust, new lessons for living were learned, new resources of courage were uncovered, and that finally, inescapably, the conviction came that God does 'move in a mysterious way His wonders to perform.'" The Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, p. 105

For what it's worth: For years, I had no way of dealing with grief other than drinking for oblivion. Thanks to God's mercy, during sobriety in Alcoholics Anonymous, I have dealt with personal losses without alcohol, and I have seen how God uses suffering to provide spiritual growth. However, during the agony, trusting is difficult, and I easily question when the courage and conviction will return. It is then I must go to my Heavenly Father, humbly and honestly talk with him about how I feel, and beg His help. In His time, not mine, again He will make me a winner over loss.

God bless you.
Joe W.

bluidkiti 10-06-2013 09:53 AM

October 7

"GLORY, HONOR, AND IMMORTALITY"

"To those who by persistence in doing good seek glory, honor and immortality, he will give eternal life." Romans 2:7

"If you persist, remarkable things will happen." Alcoholics Anonymous, page 100

For what it's worth: During my drinking years, all manner of remarkable deterioration occurred as I persistently marched to hell. The grace of God saved me from the inevitable, granting me sobriety in Alcoholics Anonymous, where I learned the value of persistence. When I did not drink, no matter how severe the suffering, remarkable things did happen. I grew up emotionally and spiritually, learning to let go and let God to survive any agony, minute by minute, and day by day. After all, what was a day of pain compared to the "glory, honor and immortality" of eternal life with my Heavenly Father!

God bless you.
Joe W.

bluidkiti 10-07-2013 08:38 AM

October 8

A STRONG FOUNDATION

We know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who’ve been called according to His purpose. Romans 8:28

Our admissions of personal powerlessness finally turn out to be firm bedrock upon which happy and purposeful lives may be built. Twelve and Twelve, page 21

For what it's worth: Fear of God’s scorn and prideful denial of powerlessness were my ticket, and alcoholism was the name of the train speeding me to hell. Only God could have switched the track, changing my destination to Alcoholics Anonymous. The good people there welcomed me without judgment, gently carried me off that train, and showed me how to stay off by being sober one day at a time. They showed me how to love and be loved. Even more, they brought me to know God is love. Then I could see God’s work in my past for his own purpose: to get me in Alcoholics Anonymous. He knew the people and principles of A. A. would bring me to Him and build me a strong foundation for a “happy and purposeful life.”

God bless you.
Joe W.

bluidkiti 10-08-2013 08:57 AM

October 9

FINDING PEACE IN HIS UNCONDITIONAL LOVE

“Give thanks to the God of gods. His love endures forever.” Psalm 136:2

“His own character may still be gravely defective, but he somehow knows that God has enabled him to make a mighty beginning, and he senses that he stands at the edge of new mysteries, joys, and experiences of which he had never even dreamed.” Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, page 109

For what it's worth: Alcoholism poured a deep foundation for my character defects, and years of solid sobriety and daily diligent practice of the principles of Alcoholics Anonymous has not yet shattered the bedrock. However, thanks to the grace of God, progress has been accomplished. Still, any time I expect sainthood, I am fooling myself, setting myself up for self-pity, and entering a relapse mode. This demands additional Alcoholics Anonymous meetings, focus on the Twelve Steps, talking with my sponsor and my Heavenly Father. I find peace as soon as He reminds me He dearly loves me just as I am.

God bless you.
Joe W.

bluidkiti 10-09-2013 09:43 AM

October 10

MY BEST DECISION

"Priests and prophets stagger from beer and are befuddled with wine; they reel from beer, they stagger when seeing visions, they stumble when rendering decisions." Isaiah 28:7

"In fact, the effectiveness of the whole A.A. program will rest upon how well and earnestly we have tried to come to 'a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.'" Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, p. 34

For what it's worth: No decent decision was ever made when I was drinking. It may have seemed right at the time, but alcohol always deceived me. Only after being free from alcohol in Alcoholics Anonymous was I able to make healthy decisions. Fortunately for me, guidance was available by listening to members share and watching the example of their lives. This was the action that brought me to the best decision of my life, surrendering my will and my life to my Heavenly Father. Now, I make that same decision every day.

God bless you.
Joe W.

bluidkiti 10-10-2013 11:04 AM

October 11

HIS DRUNK

“For we are now on a different basis; the basis of trusting and relying upon God.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 68

“But I trust in you, O LORD; I say, ‘You are my God.’" Psalm 31:14

For what it's worth: It is miraculous that this once powerless drunk has been through so many trying times without even considering the drink. Indeed, miraculous - the grace of a loving Heavenly Father. He protected me most recently from two life-threatening infectious diseases. One resulted in a lower leg amputation that will require extensive rehabilitation. But just watch; He will have me recovering in no time. It has to be, because He is my God and I am His once worthless drunk, and He has more for me to do … walking.

God bless you!
Joe W.

bluidkiti 10-11-2013 11:08 AM

October 12

LITTLE TIME - ETERNAL REWARDS

"The one who blesses others is abundantly blessed; those who help others are helped." Proverbs 11:25 (The Message)

"Service, gladly rendered, obligations squarely met, troubles well accepted or solved with God's help, the knowledge that at home or in the world outside we are partners in a common effort, the well-understood fact that in God's sight all human beings are important, the proof that love freely given surely brings a full return, the certainty that we are no longer isolated and alone in self-constructed prisons, the surety that we need no longer be square pegs in round holes but can fit and belong in God's scheme of things -- these are the permanent and legitimate satisfactions of right living for which no amount of pomp and circumstance, no heap of material possessions, could possibly be substitutes." Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, p.124

For what it's worth: My alcoholic mind told me there were no blessings for me, so why should I be concerned about blessings for others. This sick attitude followed me into Alcoholics Anonymous where I learned that alcoholism is a disease of self absorbsion, and it would kill me unless I learned to serve others. Fortunately, many were ready to lead the way into a new way of thinking and behaving. Working with others for others has become my best tool for staying sober. It works when nothing else will. It takes little time and has eternal rewards.

God bless you.
Joe W.

bluidkiti 10-12-2013 11:49 AM

October 13

PLENTY OF WORK TO DO

“Being all powerful, He provided what we needed, if we kept close to Him and performed His work well.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 63

“My food is doing the will of Him who sent me and finishing the work He has given me.” John 4:34

For what it's worth: Alcoholism was work, selfish work, satisfying my need for the drink. Sobriety in Alcoholics Anonymous taught me how to take the selfish out of work. Actually, my experience indicates my personal satisfaction in sobriety is directly proportional to what I do for others. Serving others keeps the motor running smoothly, and whenever I need a jump start, reaching out to someone always works. It always brings me closer to my Heavenly Father. So, with His grace, I hope to continue His work. There is plenty left to do.

God bless you.
Joe W.

bluidkiti 10-13-2013 10:38 AM

October 14

THE RIGHT MOTIVE

"You should not work for the food which does not last but for the food which lasts on into eternal life." John 6:27

"Our thought-life will be placed on a much higher plane when our thinking is cleared of wrong motives." Alcoholics Anonymous, page 86

For what it's worth: Although I would not admit it then, Alcoholism demanded I work to drink. All my motives were controlled by my disease. I did not have the discipline necessary to escape such powerlessness, so I needed long-term daily support and supervision from a Higher Power. I was blessed to find both in Alcoholics Anonymous. With the grace of God and the spiritual power of the Twelve Steps, I became able to check and even change my motives to stay sober and work toward eternal peace. I maintain this God-given gift only by following the advice in the Eleventh Step, daily seeking my Heavenly Father's direction of my thoughts and motives.

God bless you.
Joe W.

bluidkiti 10-14-2013 09:52 AM

October 15

AN HONEST APPRAISAL

“Don’t think you are better than you really are. Be honest in your evaluation of yourselves, measuring yourselves by the faith God has given us.” Romans 12:3

“We should avoid extreme judgments, both of ourselves and of others involved.” Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, page 82

For what it’s worth: While drinking, I played like I was mentally strong and spiritually healthy. What a lie! Truthfully, I felt I was worthless, rightfully destined for hell. This feeling followed me long into Alcoholics Anonymous. I credit God and the people in Alcoholics Anonymous for granting me an honest appraisal of who and what I am. I pray God will use me as His instrument doing the same for others.

God bless you.
Joe W.

bluidkiti 10-15-2013 10:00 AM

October 16

THE ONLY APPROVAL NEEDED

“Some of us sought out sordid places, hoping to find understanding companionship and approval.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 151

“How on earth can you believe while you are for ever looking for each other's approval and not for the glory that comes from the one God?” John 5:44

For what it is worth: My alcoholic mind was more corrupt then any sordid place I knew. But I tried to hide it to win approval. My efforts failed and I ended up with cockroaches my only companionship. I even tried to win their favor. This need for approval followed me into sobriety in Alcoholics Anonymous, charging me with a constant challenge for correction. I have to watch for attempts to impress others and always check my motives. My Heavenly Father supports my efforts by reminding me I need only His approval. And He has proven He loves me just as I am. Trusting He does is a most precious treasure, and I try to show my gratitude by giving Him the glory for everything I do. After all, He and I both know this once worthless drunk could do nothing without Him.

God bless you.
Joe W.

bluidkiti 10-16-2013 11:19 AM

October 17

THE JOY OF HIS PRESENCE

"When many hundreds of people are able to say that the consciousness of the Presence of God is today the most important fact of their lives, they present a powerful reason why one should have faith." Alcoholics Anonymous, page 51

"You will show me the way of life, granting me the joy of your presence and the pleasures of living with you forever." Psalm 16:11

For what it's worth: God wanted no part in my life, and He withheld life's pleasures as punishment for my selfish, drunken ways. Only after many sober years in Alcoholics Anonymous did I come to believe otherwise. First, I awoke to God's Presence in sunrises and sunsets; then in the recovery of others, and, ever so slowly, I came to believe He was present in my recovery; now I enjoy being with Him in my daily life, and I notice He keeps turning up at Alcoholics Anonymous meetings and various other places I go. I even saw Him shopping at Walmart.

God bless you.
Joe W.

bluidkiti 10-17-2013 10:02 AM

October 18

LOOKING AND LISTENING FOR GOD

“But he had found God…” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 158

“I will live among you.” Leviticus 26:11

For what it's worth: Even at my first Alcoholics Anonymous meeting I sensed something powerful. Initially, it was the sharing and the caring attitude of the people. Later I came to realize there was a spiritual nature to their loving behavior. And one day I awoke to find God at AA meetings. He lives there among us at every meeting I have attended since then. Sadly, I cannot be in His presence at a meeting when I waste my time focusing on personalities rather than looking and listening for Him.

God bless you!
Joe W.

bluidkiti 10-18-2013 10:10 AM

October 19

THE TREASURES OF TRUSTING

"You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will receive what he has promised." Hebrews 10:36

"We trust infinite God rather than our finite selves." Alcoholics Anonymous, page 68

For what it's worth: Alcoholism annihilated my trust in a loving Supreme Being. After years of despair, cursing God for my woeful, alcoholic existence, I found Alcoholics Anonymous and learned I would need to trust God to stay sober and survive. The wise people there knew I could not do so without asking God to teach me to trust His love. However, I had to insanely and needlessly suffer through a reign of resistance before the agony of an empty soul forced me to beg God's help. Looking back, I see He had already started, carrying me uphill through the horror of my disease and guiding me to Alcoholics Anonymous. Since then, my Heavenly Father has kept me sober through all of life's struggles, and, when severe situations breed skepticism, He reminds me of all the treasures I have found by trusting Him.

God bless you.
Joe W.

bluidkiti 10-19-2013 09:03 AM

October 20

DECISIONS, DECISIONS, DECISIONS

“Here we ask God for inspiration, an intuitive thought or a decision.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 86

“How impossible it is for us to understand God’s decisions and his ways!” Romans 11:33

For what it's worth: Decisions made during my drinking years had treacherous, long-term consequences; of course, because God was not involved; and I am still paying for some of my obstinacy. Now, thanks to my degree from the School of Stubborn Bullheadedness and sobriety in Alcoholics Anonymous, God is always involved. I ask my Heavenly Father daily for inspiration and guidance anytime I need to make a major decision, even with some simple decisions. I try to settle back and go with Him in the direction of His will. If I am uneasy about it, I do not hesitate to go back to Him and seek clarification. Often He just tells me to trust Him.

God bless you!
Joe W.

bluidkiti 10-20-2013 10:51 AM

October 21

THE GREAT FACT

“This is the Great Fact for us.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 164

“I will walk among you; I will be your God, and you will be my people.” Leviticus 26:11-12

For what it's worth: God was nowhere for me when I was drinking, not because He was nowhere, but because my will blocked His presence. Now that I am sober in Alcoholics Anonymous, God is everywhere for me. It did not happen all of a sudden; it took years of gradually growing conscious of His presence. Now all I need is the slightest willingness to have Him near, and there He is with open arms. Perhaps the best place for me to find my Heavenly Father is at AA meetings. As soon as I look or listen for Him, He is there. For me, the Great Fact is that God walks among us drunks. He is our God and we are His people. I have to believe this because of all the times I have seen God present and at work in our meetings, not just inside our rooms, but outside when we share with another suffering alcoholic.

God bless you!
Joe W.

bluidkiti 10-21-2013 10:27 AM

October 22

GRATEFUL ENOUGH?

"Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will." Romans 12:2

"To get over drinking will require a transformation of thought and attitude." Alcoholics Anonymous, page 143

For what it's worth: Alcoholism diminished me to a drunken mess of insanity and insecurity. In my alcoholic mold I was self-centered, worthless, and hurtful, and convinced I would only get worse. God saw my despair and pulled me out of the darkness into a place of light and peace, Alcoholics Anonymous. There amazing things occurred: I found hope, sobriety, and Twelve Steps to sanity and security; I discovered a loving Higher Power; people were there to guide me to a new life; and, I was totally transformed from a no-good, self-absorbed drunk to a decent, caring human being. There are still times when this is hard to believe, and I am overwhelmed with gratitude to a bunch of drunks who accepted me as the mess I was and introduced me to a Heavenly Father who loves me unconditionally. Am I grateful enough? Does it show in my thoughts, actions, and attitude?

God bless you.
Joe W.

bluidkiti 10-22-2013 10:37 AM

October 23

A NEW THEME

“The joy of living is the theme of A.A.'s Twelfth Step, and action is its key word.” 12&12 p.10

“From there he went all over Galilee. He used synagogues for meeting places and taught people the truth of God. God's kingdom was his theme.” Matthew 4:23

For what it's worth: The theme of my past drinking existence was self-satisfaction. That focus was rapidly leading to a lonely, alcoholic death. Instead, and without even realizing that a miracle was occurring at the time, I was rescued by a merciful Higher Power and directed to Alcoholics Anonymous. It was there I was given a completely new and sober way of life; one day at a time I was living - not just existing; and, each day was a day in my life - not my death. It was significant that Alcoholics Anonymous insisted I had to change my focus from self and develop a new theme if I were to maintain this miracle. Fortunately, sobriety and action on the Twelve Steps gradually caused deep change in my soul that birthed a new theme for my new life. Although I am still so poor at it, I find that “the joy of living” increases as I study and learn “the truth of God” and try my best each day to do His will.

God bless you!
Joe W.

bluidkiti 10-23-2013 09:42 AM

October 24

CALM THE STORMS

“He replied, ‘You of little faith, why are you so afraid?’ Then he got up and rebuked the winds and the waves, and it was completely calm.” Matthew 8:26

“…Faith did for us what we could not do for ourselves.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 70

For what it’s worth: Any faith I had was shallow and easily lost to alcoholism. No wonder fear dominated my years of drinking. I did not realize this until, by the grace of God, I was sober, living the Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous. Still, for too many years, my faith proved weak when the wind and waves of life threatened. I cannot count the times my Heavenly Father has said to me: “You of little faith, why are you so afraid?”. I have begged His help with this at least a thousand times, or so it seems. He has not let me down. Today, not always, but often, trusting my Heavenly Father’s love, I remain calm when storms erupt.

God bless you.
Joe W.

bluidkiti 10-24-2013 10:25 AM

October 25

“COME AND SEE”

“Take away my difficulties, that victory over them may bear witness to those I would help of Thy Power, Thy Love, and Thy Way of life.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 63

"Come and see." John 1:39

For what it's worth: Before sobriety in Alcoholics Anonymous, my only witness was to the devastation of the disease of alcoholism. Thanks to our Twelve Steps and the amazing grace of God, however, today I can testify to the Power in recovery in Alcoholics Anonymous. I believed I was to die a miserable, lonely drunk, but I was called to “come and see” what wonders awaited a worthless, no good sot like me in Alcoholics Anonymous. What I found was indeed miraculous - a way where there had been no way to a new and joyful life. Now, even on my weakest day, if I do not pick up that first drink, I have the honor of being a witness to my Heavenly Father’s generous and merciful love.

God bless you!
Joe W.

bluidkiti 10-25-2013 11:59 AM

October 26

CONFIDENCE

“We've been surrounded and battered by troubles, but we're not demoralized; we're not sure what to do, but we know that God knows what to do; we've been spiritually terrorized, but God hasn't left our side; we've been thrown down, but we haven't broken.” 2 Corinthians 4:8-9 (The Message)

“As we persist, a brand-new kind of confidence is born, and the sense of relief at finally facing ourselves is indescribable.” Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, page 50

For what it’s worth: Alcohol generously provided false confidence to mask my fears. Blessedly, sobriety in Alcoholics Anonymous and the Fourth Step helped me recognize this reality, and all of the Twelve Steps supported me in facing my fears and insecurities. As I grew spiritually in Alcoholics Anonymous, I survived numerous life threatening experiences without alcohol. These successful struggles built confidence, not in myself, but in my Heavenly Father. He has repeatedly proven His love, and therein is my confidence.

God bless you.
Joe W.

bluidkiti 10-26-2013 11:16 AM

October 27

A FULL SOUL

"The man who comes to me will never be hungry and the man who believes in me will never again be thirsty." John 6:35

"Now we need more action, without which we find that 'Faith without works is dead.'" Alcoholics Anonymous, page 76

For what it's worth: My faith was dead. Alcoholism killed it. Left on my own, I would have died with a body full of alcohol and an empty soul. Thanks to the merciful goodness of my Creator, despite my prideful resistance, instead of death I found life in a place called Alcoholics Anonymous. It was there I was taught the importance of action and introduced to a loving Heavenly Father. When my faith is weak and I feel spiritually exhausted, I go to my Father for my soul's food and drink. Doing so now for many sober years, my body is empty of alcohol and my soul is filled with hope and trust.

God bless you.
Joe W.

bluidkiti 10-27-2013 11:09 AM

October 28

INSPIRATION

"How did you become so inspired?"

Job 26:4

"We find that our thinking will, as time passes,

be more and more on the plane of inspiration."

Alcoholics Anonymous, page 87

For what it's worth: Nothing inspired me when my being was deadened by alcohol. Fortunately, that changed as I became sober in Alcoholics Anonymous. The example of members encouraged me to begin living by the Twelve Steps and to become interested in serving others. I am especially grateful their sharing motivated me to seek a closer contact with my Heavenly Father because He knows when I am weak from traveling through a spiritually dry desert. It is then He always places people in my life to inspire me to rise up and march on, trudging the Road of Happy Destiny.

God bless you.
Joe W.

bluidkiti 10-28-2013 11:27 AM

October 29

PRACTICE PATIENCE AND PRAYER

"Love and tolerance of others is our code." Alcoholics Anonymous, page 84

"Pray for the happiness of those who curse you. Pray for those who hurt you." Luke 6:28

For what it's worth: Hate and revenge were my code during my drinking years. That attitude needed serious adjustment for me to stay sober in Alcoholics Anonymous. When my sponsor first suggested I pray daily for two weeks for someone I resented, I told him I would pray that they get all they deserved. He straightened me out, and I tried his suggestion his way. It worked! God continues to use people and the principles of Alcoholics Anonymous to teach me love and tolerance. He is patient with me and simply asks that I do the same with others. When I do, I experience joy and peace of mind. When I do not, remorse and apprehension rule. So, my Heavenly Father and I keep practicing together. And I keep praying.

God bless you.
Joe W.

bluidkiti 10-29-2013 08:56 AM

October 30

PRINCIPLE OF PURITY

"To sum up about sex: We earnestly pray for the right ideal, for guidance in each questionable situation, for sanity, and for strength to do the right thing" Alcoholics Anonymous, page 70

“Enjoy the companionship of those who call on the Lord with pure hearts.” 2 Timothy 2:22

For what it's worth: Lust fed my alcoholism and nearly devoured my recovery. Only the grace of God could have instilled in me a pure heart - and only in Alcoholics Anonymous. There I found the necessary Steps and a wise sponsor. In sobriety I have to be open and honest with myself, my sponsor, and my Higher Power about my actions and my motives. Once I fearlessly inventoried and admitted this defect in Steps Four and Five, I have to be persistent with Steps Six and Seven, seeking willingness to be rid of the demon, fiercely praying for guidance and strength to do the right thing. I avoid those who do not support my efforts, and I thank God I have found so many in our Fellowship who are good examples practicing our principle of purity.

God bless you.
Joe W.

bluidkiti 10-30-2013 10:00 AM

October 31

PRAYER

“As soon as I pray, you answer me; you encourage me by giving me strength.” Psalm 138:3

“Perhaps one of the greatest rewards of meditation and prayer is the sense of belonging that comes to us.” Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, page 105

For what it’s worth: Alcohol devoured my family. When I asked God to return them, He refused. That was my last prayer for many lonely years and the beginning of the advanced stages of alcoholism. When I finally entered the rooms of Alcoholics Anonymous, I had no intention of ever praying. With sober time, the grace of God, and the encouragement of A.A. members, I slowly began to pray. I find sometimes His answer is "Wait" or “According to my plan, not yours". He seems so slow at times and I have to ask Him for patience. When I wait quietly, humbly and sincerely asking that His will be done, not mine, I come to realize He is always right there with me, always answers my prayers, often in miraculous ways, proving His love and showing me once again He will never let me down.

God bless you.
Joe W.