Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums

Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/index.php)
-   Daily Spiritual Meditations (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Stopping Negative Thought Patterns (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3375)

bluidkiti 04-12-2014 11:54 AM

Stopping Negative Thought Patterns

Stopping Negative Thought Patterns

1 Chronicles 28:9 - “The Lord…understands every motive behind the thoughts.”

“I often worry my family and boss will be disappointed and angry with me,” admitted a busy and well-liked woman. “I do everything possible to control their responses and reactions. I get so anxious I want to run away, but I’m driven to stay around and repeat the process. How can I change?”

Like my friend, I’ve often felt like I’m on this merry-go-round. I’ve learned a helpful exercise called ‘thought stopping and substitution.’ First I try to identify the stress-producing thought. For example: “My boss will be angry because I didn’t get everything done. That would be terrible. There must something wrong with me.” Next, I imagine the anticipated scene. I let myself feel the negative emotions it causes — knot in the stomach, sweaty palms, nauseated sensation.

Then, I interrupt the destructive thought and substitute it with a new one. Perhaps: “My value does not depend on my boss’s opinion or mood. I finished all I could. I’m not a terrible person.”

Learning to break the vicious cycle perpetuated by negative thought patterns is like developing a new habit. It takes time. Be patient with yourself.

God Lord, you understand me. Help me identify and change the destructive thoughts that rob my peace.

Joan C. Webb

MajestyJo 04-12-2014 08:56 PM

Tonight I am hurting, I know I need to eat, but have been fighting it. It is difficult to get past the pain, but I know it is now time, to take a break, do a meditation after saying a prayer. Things will be as they should be, not as I tell myself and prevents me from the old thinking to come back. I can`t, my God can.

bluidkiti 04-13-2014 12:52 PM

I pray that you are feeling better today. :42:

MajestyJo 04-13-2014 07:51 PM

Not a good day, the internet suggested anti-inflammatories but I can't take them. Thanks for asking.

Just have to accept what is and deal with it, without picking up a pill. I had muscle spasms in my head and through the trunk of my body, but they were small compared to my feet and not being able to walk.

I was told many years ago when they first started, to cup my hands over my mouth and blow into them, then inhale the carbon back into my body. I had forgotten, when I was in the pain, and my son reminded me.

There is always a solution. It is up to me to look for it, and I did. I prayed and asked for help.