Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums

Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/index.php)
-   Alcohol, Drugs and Other Addictions Recovery (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Food for Thought for Over Eaters Anonymous (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7721)

MajestyJo 03-17-2016 03:12 AM

Thanks for sharing, each has to find what is good for them. Eating disorders take many forms.

Exercise doesn't work if I am not eating properly. It is like alcohol, I don't think we metabolize food the same way other people do.

Like most programs, it is a thinking disease. I had to stop thinking 'more' and telling myself 'enough.'

It was a combination for me, portion size, making healthy choices, reading labels because I am diabetic and there are a lot of sugar content hidden along with chemicals and color.

I try not to eat processed food and limit packaged foods. Like diet pop, it is filled with mega chemicals to replace the sugar, which is more harmful than the sugar.

MajestyJo 03-17-2016 03:14 AM

From the book: Food for Thought

March 17

Vulnerability

When we stop doping ourselves with unnecessary food, we become vulnerable. We have been using extra food as a defense against our feelings. Without it, fears and anxieties surface and new energies are released. Instead of retreating into the refrigerator, we can learn day by day how to live with our exposed selves.

Making an overture of friendship to someone we would like to know better involves the risk of rejection. Saying no to a family member when a request conflicts with our program may make us feel guilty. Asking for help when we need it means admitting our weakness. Exposing our needs destroys our facade of self-sufficiency.

To be vulnerable requires courage, but only as we are able to live without the defense of overeating are we able to grow emotionally and spiritually. When we stop turning to food to cover up our feelings and needs, we are able to be more open with other people. We are nourished by them and by the Higher Power who allays our fears and directs our new energies.

May I not fear being vulnerable.

MajestyJo 03-23-2016 01:07 PM

Thought for the Day
Wednesday
MAR23

Awareness

To be aware is to be focused and alive. If we are truly alert to what is going on within and around us, we will never be bored. Through working the OA program, we develop greater awareness of ourselves, other people, and our Higher Power.

Sometimes this new awareness brings pain; we realize that we have been hurt and that we have hurt others. Through our daily inventories, we recognize shortcomings and mistakes, which we may have ignored in the past. Often it is too late to undo all of the damage, which has been done by our compulsive overeating and general self-centeredness.

Here is where we pray for acceptance of what we cannot change and courage to make amends where we can. It is then important to put what is past behind us and concentrate on being more aware now, today, so that we do not make the same mistakes again.

When we are not dulled by too much food and the wrong kinds of food, we are more perceptive and aware in every aspect of our lives. Our experiences are richer and we are better able to grow and change.

I pray for increasing awareness.
This is something that I ask for regularly in prayer. Just yesterday, I shared with a friend that I don't eat to be full. I eat to fill myself and give myself the energy that I need. Eating proper portions as well as making healthy choices as to what I need to put in my body. Each life cycle begins with clarity and introspection, and there are circles with circles. I need that awakening and awareness in order to grow.

Sometimes I have found that it is better to lose inches than pounds. Love the skin you are in. It is up to you as to how to wish to portray it.

http://www.picgifs.com/glitter-gifs/...cow-131073.gif

MajestyJo 04-17-2016 06:17 AM

Quote:

Food for Thought
April 17

Easy Does It

Strain and struggle abound when we try to do everything ourselves, our way. We want positive change to occur immediately and expect miracles to happen according to our personal timetable. We sometimes feel that if our Higher Power is guiding us, we should be able to accomplish great and marvelous things constantly.

To remember "easy does it" is to humbly realize that we are not all powerful and that God does not expect us to be all things to all people. Growth is slow, time belongs to God, and change will occur according to His plan. If we do the jobs we have been given for this 24-hour period, our Higher Power will take care of tomorrow.

How much more agreeable life is when we do not overextend ourselves but admit our weakness and trust God to take care of us. We do not shirk our share, but we do not try to carry the whole load. Only our Higher Power is strong enough to do that.

Take from our lives the strain and stress.
I have always been my own worst enemy. No one was harder on me than me. As it say, "I need to do my part and allow my God to work His Will in my life, through me, not around me. As a sponsee told me one time, "Is your God hitting you over the head again with His Spiritual Cast Iron Frying Pan?"

http://grade8computers-2010-11-mp4-p...ancing_pig.gif

MajestyJo 05-06-2016 05:01 PM

Quote:

Communicating

If we do not tell people what is troubling us, they cannot help. We have sometimes been too proud or too shy to let others know what we were feeling. Rather than trying to communicate with those close to us, we ate. Eating instead of communicating further increased our isolation and unhappiness.

Exposing our feelings makes us vulnerable, and we often fear that we will be hurt or rejected. We may be trying to preserve a false image of ourselves as self-sufficient and free of problems. Whatever the reasons for our unwillingness to communicate, we are cheating ourselves. By "clamming up," we cut ourselves off from the care and support of those who love us.

Honest sharing between individuals opens the way for growth and change. By expressing our thoughts and feelings out loud to another person, we become better able to understand and deal with whatever is bothering us. More important, we deepen our relationships with family and friends when we are willing to communicate on a meaningful level.

Give me courage to communicate.
Didn't know how to communicate in early recovery. I wasn't in touch with my feelings and it was only by going to meetings and posting on recovery sites, then I learned to identify them.

This girl in treatment kept saying, "...but how do you feeeeel?" I was extremely annoyed, especially after hearing for several weeks and I couldn't get away from her. I finally said, "If I knew how I was feeling, I wouldn't be here." I had a lot of childhood trauma and learned to shut down and stuff for many years. Food and cigarettes were great stuffers. I am hungry, no I don't want to eat, and would pick up a cigarette. When I found myself reaching for that second or third helping, I knew I wasn't hungry, I was just in the state of mind, "More...!" and acting out in my disease (dis-ease).

I use to get hit if I was told to shut up, so I didn't talk. When AA got me talking, they couldn't get me stopped. AA took me to other areas, because the 12 Steps are applicable to ALL parts of my life.

MajestyJo 05-22-2016 08:16 PM

Quote:

MAY22

When in Doubt, Don't

If a particular food is not on our plan, we do not eat it. When in doubt, leave it out. If there is a question in our minds about the advisability of eating a certain food, we are most likely better off without it. Whether we are losing weight or maintaining our weight loss, there will be some foods we choose to avoid, since past experience has proven that we cannot handle them in moderation.

The principle of "when in doubt, don't" may extend to other areas of our lives. If we are unsure of a particular course of action, it is best not to go rushing into it. As we learn to listen to the inner voice, we become more responsive to the leading of our Higher Power. Our knowledge of His will for our lives becomes more solid and we develop a firm basis for decision.

When we are willing to wait for direction, it comes. Indecision may be turned over to our Higher Power for His clarification.

Give us prudence, Lord, to follow Your lead.
I was told that when the time is right, I will know. If I don't know, then it is time to wait on the Good Orderly Direction that I need.

MajestyJo 05-29-2016 09:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

MAY29

Quality, Not Quantity

We tend to be overly impressed with quantity. How much does it cost? How many friends do I have? How much can I include in my food plan? In a materialistic society, more is synonymous with better.

Before we found OA, we were eating more and enjoying it less. In fact, the more we ate, the more unhappy we became. Greater quantity did not bring better health or a better quality of life.

In this program, we are learning to place quality before quantity. We discover that smaller amounts of nourishing, high quality foods are more satisfying and make us feel better than vast quantities of empty calories. We become more selective about the way we spend our time, choosing the activities and companions that most enrich our lives, rather than trying to do everything and be everything to everybody. We realize more each day that the quality of our spiritual life is what gives us the inner satisfaction, which we sought but failed to find in quantities of things.

Show me how to live well.
A good one for me to remember after pigging out at the buffet of food at my sister's 70th birthday party today.

Had to have a little bit of everything, but it was a little bit of everything all afternoon and then I came home with a doggy bag, and had a wee bit of what I brought home.

The sandwiches were okay and the fruit was good, but it was those date squares, lemon squares, and brownies that will catch up and grab you, especially when you are diabetic. I kept telling myself, "Your doctor says your blood sugar is fine and you are okay." It wouldn't be fine if I did what I did today, every day.

MajestyJo 06-03-2016 03:14 PM

Quote:

Food for Thought
June 3

A Democratic Disease

There is nothing snobbish about our disease. It attacks individuals of every social and economic group. In OA, we meet the young and the old, male and female, rich and poor. One of the amazing things about an OA meeting is that it brings together in meaningful communication people from very disparate backgrounds. Even the generation gap closes when a common problem is the focus of genuine concern.

Thanks to OA, we experience warm fellowship. Perhaps for the first time, we come together with other people in a situation where game playing and ego building are at a minimum.

To be accepted for what we are and as we are is a healing experience. We may take off our masks and let down our defenses since we do not need to try to impress anyone in OA. As children of God, who happen to be compulsive overeaters, we are all equal.

We give thanks for OA.
Can't beat acceptance of who we are in the moment. As my sponsor use to say, "Don't worry dear, that is where you are at in today."

MajestyJo 06-09-2016 04:27 PM

Quote:

Thursday
JUNE9

Greedy Thinking, Greedy Eating

Contentment comes from being satisfied with what we have. Since "bread" is a symbol for material things, it is easy to use food as a substitute for the money and possessions we may avidly desire. Overeating can be a form of compensation for the enticing worldly wealth, which seems so attractive, yet is out of our grasp.

When we desire abstinence more than we desire material things, we are able to maintain it. When we allow material cares and concerns to obscure our spiritual goals, then our abstinence is in danger! Each of us is confronted with the choice of striving to satisfy physical cravings or working toward spiritual ideals. We cannot serve two masters.

We may have thought that we could get rid of our greed for food and continue to indulge our greed for other material things. Our Higher Power does not work that way. He demands nothing less than complete allegiance.

May I serve You without reservations.
Today I was angry after seeing my sister and came home and hate three big chocolate chip cookies. I was hungry, but that doesn't make eating them right. When I saw her hooked up to all the machinery and oxygen, I wanted to cry. Just because I have a feeling, doesn't mean I need to act on it. I meant to come home and do a healing meditation, instead I ate the cookies and the meditation is still waiting for me, even though I spoke to a couple of people and said some prayers.

This is why I say, when I get needy, I get greedy. My drug of choice is more.

MajestyJo 06-16-2016 11:08 PM

Quote:

Food for Thought

June 16

Satisfaction Comes from Inside

Why do we continually expect to be satisfied by taking in and possessing things from the outside? Amassing material goods and possessions more often than not stimulates rather than satisfies our appetite. What we do and contribute satisfies us more than what we have and consume.

When we are at peace within ourselves and in contact with our Higher Power, we make fewer demands on the outside world. When we are able to use our abilities in productive work and can give of our emotional and spiritual strength to other people, we feel replete.

Nothing from the outside can bring us happiness if we are at war with ourselves. Chronic dissatisfaction indicates that we have not turned our will and our lives over to God's care, but are still trying to run the show egotistically. Complete surrender opens the way to satisfaction.

I want to surrender to the inner needs of my spirit.
Surrender is a principle of the first step. When I surrender to the program, the process begins and I am empowered to do what I need to do for my sobriety (soundness of mind), one day at a time.

MajestyJo 06-18-2016 09:51 PM

Quote:

Saturday JUNE 18

Homesickness

There are certain foods, which we will always associate with home and which make us nostalgic to recapture the past. No matter how much we eat, we cannot go back home and again be the babies and little children we were. No food will satisfy our longing for the love, care, and safety most of us associate with home. Even (and especially) if our dependency needs were not met when we were young, eating unnecessary food now will not help.

As we grow in relationship with our Higher Power, we begin to believe that home lies ahead, rather than behind us. We begin to see that our homesickness is for a spiritual state instead of a physical place. Wherever we are, we are pilgrims and travelers, not sure of our final destination but drawn toward something more than what we know in this world. We sense that though we are in the world, we are not of it, that we are homesick for a spiritual fulfillment.

May our homesickness bring us closer to You.
Never thought of this. My mom was a great cook and made everything from scratch. When I think of my mother, I think of chocolate cake, butter tarts, and butterscotch and chelsea buns. Not a healthy thought, certainly not good for a diabetic.

She cooked on a wood stove, which made everything taste better and then we got a gas stove when I was 10. She saved up her money from her baby bonus to buy it. My alcoholic father was seldom home and she was left out in the country, in a big farm house with three girls, and not able to drive and go for what she needed. So much I didn't realize about what her life was like, and I am sure she had fibromyalgia, which was not even thought of then let alone diagnosed. I couldn't wait to get off the farm and then when I came out of recovery, I wish I had it to go home to. My dad sold the farm 30 years before I found recovery.

http://i2.glitter-graphics.org/pub/1...xzmf3srty8.gif

MajestyJo 06-23-2016 12:09 AM

Quote:

Food for Thought
June 22

God Is a Verb

We cannot contain our Higher Power at a fixed point or in a closed system. However we may understand God, our understanding is always limited. The Power that rescues us from compulsive overeating is an active force, which constantly beckons us to move on. What we were to do yesterday is past; a new day brings new challenges and opportunities.

Our compulsion had us trapped in a pattern of self-destructive repetition. We did the same dumb thing over and over again. When we turn our will and our lives over to the care of God, as we understand Him, we are linking up with the source of newness and creativity. God moves, and if we are linked with Him, we also move. His spirit changes us, and what we thought and did yesterday is not adequate to the demands of today.

Trusting our Higher Power means acting according to His promptings. We follow Him as He leads us into new tasks and activities and ideas. We learn from experience that He is always more than adequate for our needs.

May I follow where You lead.
http://www.informatiquegifs.com/elephants/gifs5/gif.gif

MajestyJo 06-23-2016 12:09 AM

This is one of my favourite reading of all times. Just the title in itself speaks volumns. This little guy reminds me to breathe, keep breathing in what I need, breathe out what I don't need. I need to be willing each day to draw the breath. I need to be willing to be willing to do what I need to do for my recovery in today.

http://www.free-animated-pictures.co...moving_pic.gif

MajestyJo 06-26-2016 12:25 AM

Quote:

Most of us have early memories of birthday parties - our own and those of other children - and as compulsive overeaters, we probably remember the food more than anything else. For as long as we can recollect, parties have meant eating and drinking. The better and more abundant the food and drink, the better the party; or so we thought.

- Food for Thought

http://www.hazelden.org/web/public/t...iew?catId=1903

When I saw the topic and then saw my picture, I had trouble staying on my chair. How often we lied to ourselves on the way out the door to those parties. First of all about how good we looked, about how many layers we wore to cover the bulges or the heave material we wore to make ourselves seem heavier.

Those old phrases, "Well I am big boned you know." "It runs in the family, unfortunately I inherited my mothers habits instead of my dad's.

Then when you get to the party and their is more lying. Well this is a special occasion, I wouldn't want to offend the hostess. This is special, I deserve a treat or two. Those two often were big bowls or glasses instead of servings.

Then there is the comparing, well I don't look as bad as she does. When I get THAT BIG, I will cut down. She really shouldn't wear a dress like that, it shows EVERYTHING! The b*tch and the cat come out, and as we indulge more and more, we savour our lies, and tell ourselves the guys really don't like those other girls, they are too think or fat, depending on what side of the fence you are looking from. Then you tell yourself, well I am not like them or if you have it flaunt it! The games we play, the lies we tell ourselvles and inside we feel miserable. They say that the most cheerful, happy-go-lucky person, is someone who is overweight.

Ironically, it has been my experience in recovery, that the prettiest and handsomest, and the slimmest and most well built, have the lowest sense of self esteem.

I always liked to say, "I knew I had recovered when the inside matched the outside."
Unfortunately, the link doesn't go to the topic discussed but good that it takes us to todays's reading.

Post made on another site in 2011

MajestyJo 06-26-2016 12:26 AM

The reading isn't the same, but today's link can help me to accept me as I am and where I am at in today, knowing that all things are subject to change. I like the changes, losing another 5 lbs. makes me feel better. I am not sure if it is an answer to prayer or me being sick and losing the 20 odd pounds. I just have to accept what is in the moment.

Quote:

Food for Thought
June 26

Accepting Change

One day my mother and I were working together in the garden. We were transplanting some plant for the third time. Grown from seed in a small container, the plants had been transferred to a larger container; then transplanted into the garden. Now, because I was moving, we were transplanting them again.

Inexperienced as a gardener, I turned to my green-thumbed mother. "Isn't this bad for them?" I asked, as we dug them up and shook the dirt from their roots. "Won't it hurt these plants, being uprooted and transplanted so many times?"

"Oh, no," my mother replied. "Transplanting doesn't hurt them. In fact, it's good for the ones that survive. That's how their roots grow strong. Their roots will grow deep, and they'll make strong plants."

Often, I've felt like those small plants - uprooted and turned upside down. Sometimes, I've endured the change willingly, sometimes reluctantly, but usually my reaction has been a combination.

Won't this be hard on me? I ask. Wouldn't it be better if things remained the same? That's when I remember my mother's words - that's how the roots grow deep and strong.

Today, God, help me remember that during times of transition, my faith and my self are being strengthened.