Thread: My son
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2013, 12:46 AM   #3
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Thank you for sharing. My son was suppose to attend meetings when I went into recovery, but he refused. He was already on his path of addiction. I have been going to Al-Anon off and on for 22 years, with the last 12 years focused on Al-Anon. As you say, it is a family disease. My father and mother died from their disease, and I have two ex-husbands who have the symptoms to qualify for the program, but they didn't have the willingness to change.

Perhaps there are some posts in the Family and Friends section that you will be able to identify with. I found that pills were dried up alcohol to me, and it didn't matter what substance I picked up, it lead to the same soul sickness. For me, the 12 Steps were applicable to all areas of my life, including my dysfunctional relationships.

This is a quote I posted on another site:

Quote:
Denial is a blanket we often wear when we don't want to face something and/or we don't feel we are ready to handle it. We forget that through our Higher Power, all things are possible. I found if kept coming back until I was ready, and the longer I waited, the sicker I got, and instead of a challenge I need to over come, it became a problem I stayed stuck in.
My prayers are with you both. I quit smoking 3 days before Christmas, so I know it is rough going through the holiday without using. I figured if I could get through that, I would never have a reason to pick up, maybe some excuses, but one day at a time, with prayer and gratitude, the program worked for me. My son is still using, he has been in treatment 5 times, and yet he refuses to go to meeting. All I can do is pray and "Live and Let Live."

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

MajestyJo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MajestyJo For Sharing: