Thread: Loved by God
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2014, 12:27 PM   #15
bluidkiti
Administrator

Loved by God Part 15 - Set Free by Truth

by Gail Rodgers
We had just moved into our new location and were still unpacking. The previous owners left a dog’s water dish on the step. But it wasn’t an ordinary dog dish, it was a great stainless steel bowl. So I rescued it, washed it up and put it in the cupboard.

Friday night we had the new neighbors in for supper. As we passed the food around the table my 6 year old innocently asked, “Mom, how come the potatoes are in the dog’s dish”. “That’s not the dog’s dish”, I quickly replied. But our eyes locked and we both knew it was indeed the dog’s dish and the potatoes were in it! Now, years later, those friends still tease me about that day!
Truth is a hard thing to admit at times. Truth means, of course, not telling lies… but it also goes so much deeper. Our lives revolve around what we believe about ourselves. And all too often what we believe is not truth at all.
We get used to deceiving ourselves. We can build structures of self defense in our minds that insolate us from truth. Sometimes we withdraw from people and offer a variety of excuses; we blame others and make excuses for our own poor behavior. “It’s not my fault” is a common line these days that can deceive us from owning our part in a conflict. Deception is subtle. But truth, when we face it, can free us.
When Susan asked God to reveal truth to her in her relationship she was surprised to finally realize she had a strong need to control. Her desire to have things predictable and organized got out of balance and was causing misery in her relationship.
Bob finally acknowledged that some of the pain in his childhood was causing him to build walls in his marriage. When he faced the truth and sought some counsel, he was able to work through it to find healing in his relationship with his wife.
God’s Word promises hope:
“Then you will know the truth and the truth will set you free.” John 8:31
“Jesus said, “I am the way, the truth and the life.” John 14:6
If you have a relationship that is causing concern, ask God to help you see truth in that relationship. His Word says that His Spirit will guide you into all truth. (John 16:13) Perhaps you have built structures of self defense that He can help you overcome. Sometimes a friend or counselor is helpful in the journey. Jesus is the one who can bring freedom into our lives. He is the one who can not only reveal truth and wrong thinking, but His power in us can bring lasting change.
prayer & reflection

Father God,
I realize that I sometimes deceive myself with wrong thinking and it causes trouble for me in my relationships. I ask for you to reveal truth to me. I ask you to set me free from wrong thinking and to give me the strength and the power to change. You are my hope! Guide me by your Holy Spirit in my journey to wholeness.
In Jesus name, Amen.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote