Old 09-12-2014, 10:40 AM   #61
bluidkiti
Administrator

From the Book

If You Want What We Have:
Sponsorship Meditations
By Joan Larkin

----56----
Things are in the saddle, and ride mankind.
RALPH WALDO EMERSON

Newcomer
I have a life, not just this program. Work deadlines, family obligations, bills, things I have to get done. I have a lot of responsibility, and it isn’t going to go away just because I’m in recovery. And now I have all these new things I’m supposed to do: meetings, phone calls, literature, Steps. I desperately need some time off to catch up with my real life.

Sponsor
When I was active in my disease, time was my enemy. Sometimes I let obligations slide until a situation felt desperate. Sometimes I threw myself into my duties, worked without stopping, then burned out. Recovery offers me a simple way to deal with responsibilities: on day at a time.

Maintaining recovery by attending a meeting, making a call, and reading literature-things we do to stay sober today—takes less time than the hours we spent pursuing our addictions, indulging in them, being slowed down or stopped by them. Working on things consistently, even just a little each day, produces results in all areas of life. I no longer resent time for recovery, any more that I resent the need for food and sleep. When we take time to recharge our batteries, we renew energy for the chores of our lives, become more focused and productive. In this way, surprisingly, our recovery actually gives us time.

Nothing’s so urgent that I can’t sit through a meeting, talk to my sponsor, or take a moment to pray. As I nourish my recovering self, I have more to offer work and relationship. Today, time is on my side.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links