From the Book

If You Want What We Have:
Sponsorship Meditations
By Joan Larkin

----59----
Delay is preferable to error.
THOMAS JEFFERSON

Newcomer
I don’t trust my ability to stay with anything for long time. I’ve been so inconsistent in the past. I have the feeling that eventually I’ll get sick of all of my good new hapbits an go back to where I was before.

Sponsor
What happened to “One day at a time”? We’re not required to deal with tomorrow’s recovery right now. For the next twenty-four hours, any one of us can avoid picking up our drug of choice. That’s all we have to do, and just by doing it, we’re doing it perfectly.

Self-trust is a new habit that may not have put down deep roots in us yet. We’re still close to the days when the only way we knew of taking care of ourselves was to use our addictions. It’s important to remember that we are not the same people we used to be. We’re in the process of forming new habits—meetings, literature, sharing, service—that are as powerful as the old ones. If we begin drifting a little from our new habits, we notice the difference in how we’re feeling and can return to doing what worked. Every day in recovery adds to the store of sober experiences on which we can draw.

Today, I am the person I’ve wanted to be.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote