Old 08-25-2016, 08:50 AM   #26
bluidkiti
Administrator

August 26

Daily Reflections

GIVING IT AWAY

Though they knew they must help other alcoholics if they would
remain sober, that motive became secondary. It was transcended
by the happiness they found in giving themselves to others.
Alcoholics Anonymous, p.159

Those words, for me, refer to a transference of power, through which
God, as I understand Him, enters my life. Through prayer and
meditation, I open channels, then I establish and improve my
conscious contact with God. Through action I then receive the power
I need to maintain my sobriety each day. By maintaining my spiritual
condition, by giving away what has been freely given to me, I am
granted a daily reprieve.

Twenty-Four Hours A Day

A.A. Thought For The Day

"If we are still clinging to something that we will not let go, we
must sincerely ask God to help us to be willing to let even that go,
too. We cannot divide our lives into compartments and keep some
for ourselves. We must give all the compartments to God. We
must say: ‘My creator, I am now willing that you should have all of
me, good and bad. I pray that you now remove from me every
single defect of character which stands in the way of my usefulness
to you and my friends.'" Am I still clinging to something that I will
not let go?

Meditation For The Day

The laws of nature cannot be changed and must be obeyed if you
are to stay healthy. No exceptions will be made in your case. Submit
to the laws of nature or they will finally break you. And in the
realm of the spirit, in all human relationships, submit to the moral
laws and to the will of God. If you continue to break the laws of
honesty, purity, unselfishness, and love, you will be broken to some
extent yourself. The moral and spiritual laws of God, like the laws
of nature, are unbreakable without some disaster. If you are
dishonest, impure, selfish, and unloving, you will not be living
according to the laws of the spirit and you will suffer the
consequences.

Prayer For The Day

I pray that I may submit to the laws of nature and to the laws of God.
I pray that I may live in harmony with all the laws of life.

As Bill Sees It

No Orders Issued, p. 237

Neither the A.A. General Service Conference, its Board of Trustees,
nor the humblest group committee can issue a single directive to an
A.A. member and make it stick, let alone mete out any punishment.
We've tried this lots of times, but utter failure is always the result.

Groups have sometimes tried to expel members, but the banished
have come back to sit in the meeting place, saying, "This is life for
us; you can't keep us out." Committees have instructed many an
A.A. to stop working on a chronic backslider, only to be told: "How I
do my Twelfth Step work is my business. Who are you to judge?"

This doesn't mean that an A.A. won't take good advice or
suggestions from more experienced members. He simply objects to
taking orders.

12 & 12, p. 173

Walk In Dry Places

Waste Utilization
Releasing the past
Today the world faces seemingly insurmountable problems with solid and liquid
waste. Communities struggle to find solutions as waste accumulates
and space for disposal sites grows scarce.
As recovering people, we have a similar problem with waste residues from
our past. We don't seem to be able to bury bad memories; like the
physical waste in the environment, they come back to poison us. The best answer is to use waste, not throw it away. Instead of trying to bury the past, let's keep it in view but let it be purified by the sunlight of honesty and humility. By admitting past wrongs and forgiving
everyone involved.... including ourselves..... we turn waste into useful experience. Nature can do this with much physical waste, over time. we can also let our spiritual nature do that with the emotional and mental waste of our past.
I'll realize that every past mistake and experience can be properly
utilized today for something good and uplifting.

Keep It Simple

THINK ---Alcoholics Anonymous slogan
Now that we’re recovering, our minds are free. We can think. When we are faced with problems or choices, we can do this:
Ask, “What is the problem?”
Make a list of what we can do to work on the problem.
Decide which of the actions on our list might work.
Pick the action that seems the best so far.
Ask ourselves, “Can I do it? Will I do it? If not, it’s not a good plan.
Talk to our sponsor if we need help thinking it out.
Do it.
Look back on it. Did it work? If not, go back and try something else.
Prayer for the Day: Higher Power, help me to think well. Help me to see things clearly.
Action for the Day: Today, I’ll use the points listed above to help me think about a choice I have to make.

Each Day a New Beginning

A woman who has no way of expressing herself and of realizing herself as a full human has nothing else to turn to but the owning of material things. --Enriqueta Longeaux y Vasquez
Each of us struggling with these Twelve Steps is finding self-expression and self-definition. Introspection, coupled with self-revelation through sharing with others, affords us the awareness of how like others we are. How human we are. And what we receive from others who respond to our vulnerability diminishes our need for "things" to fill our lives.
The love that we receive freely from a trusting, caring friend or group fills up the empty places in our souls, the places we used to try filling up with alcohol or cookies or sex. New clothes maybe even a new home or a different job served their terms as void fillers too. Nothing succeeded for long, and then the program found us.
The program is the filler for all times. Of this we can be certain. Time will alleviate any doubts we may have. All that is asked of us is openness, honesty, and attention to others' needs as well as our own.
I can share our likenesses and relish whatever differences may surface. The chain of friendship I've created makes me the proud owner of my wholeness. I am a succeeding woman who is moving forward with courage and self-awareness on this, my road of life.

Alcoholics Anonymous - Fourth Edition

WE AGNOSTICS

Instead of regarding ourselves as intelligent agents, spearheads of God’s ever advancing Creation, we agnostics and atheists chose to believe that our human intelligence was the last word, the alpha and the omega, the beginning and end of all. Rather vain of us, wasn’t it?
We, who have traveled this dubious path, beg you to lay aside prejudice, even against organized religion. We have learned that whatever the human frailties of various faiths may be, those faiths have given purpose and direction to millions. People of faith have a logical idea of what life is all about. Actually, we used to have no reasonable conception whatever. We used to amuse ourselves by cynically dissecting spiritual beliefs and practices when we might have observed that many spiritually-minded persons of all races, colors, and creeds were demonstrating a degree of stability, happiness and usefulness which we should have sought ourselves.

p. 49

Alcoholics Anonymous - Fourth Edition Stories

HE LIVED ONLY TO DRINK - "I had been preached to, analyzed, cursed, and counseled, but no one had ever said, 'I identify with what's going on with you. It happened to me and this is what I did about it.'"

It was not until I was an adult, away from the family and doing graduate work at a prestigious East Coast University, that I had my first real drink of alcohol. I had tasted beer and a little wine before that and long since decided that fruit juice tasted better. I had never been inside a bar until one evening some fellow students persuaded me to go with them to a local cocktail lounge. I was fascinated. I still remember the lazy, smoky atmosphere, the hushed voices, the tinkle of ice in the glasses. It was pure sophistication. But most of all I remember that first sensation of the warm whiskey radiating through my body.

p. 447

Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions

Step Six - "Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character."

Since most of us are born with an abundance of natural desires, it isn't strange that we often let these far exceed their intended purpose. When they drive us blindly, or we willfully demand that they supply us with more satisfactions or pleasures than are possible or due us, that is the point at which we depart from the degree of perfection that God wishes for us here on earth. That is the measure of our character defects, or, if you wish, of our sins.

p. 65

Real happiness in life starts when you begin to cherish others.
--Lama Zopa Rinpoche

Continuing to cling to the patterns you know inhibits your ability to
discover what you don't know.
--Eric Allenbaugh

When we long for life without difficulties, remind us that oaks
grow strong in contrary winds and diamonds are made under
pressure.
--Peter Marshall

“Everything I need shall be provided today. Everything.” Say it, until
you believe it. Say it at the beginning of the day. Say it throughout the
day.
--unknown

God is at home, We are in the far country.
--Meister Eckhart

The Way isn't something that can be put into words.
You have to practice before you can understand.
You can't force things, including practice.
Understanding is something that happens naturally.
It's different for everyone.
The main thing is to reduce your desires and quiet your mind.
-- Master Hsueh

All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward.
--Ellen Glasgow

Father Leo's Daily Meditation

SECURITY

"Nobody in this world is more
secure than a man in a
penitentiary."
-- Harvey S. Firestone, Jr.

In one sense it is safe to live in a prison --- but at what price? To live is
to be free and have the responsibility of choice. Addiction removes
this freedom of choice; addiction takes away our freedom.

In sobriety I am involved in the joys of risk. I experience the pleasure
and pain that comes with the responsibility of choice. Today I know I
am living --- yesterday I had to read about it!

God, I thank You for the confusing gift of freedom.

The Lord will keep you from all harm...... He will watch over your life.
Psalm 121:7

"The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him,
and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to him in
song."
Psalm 28:7

"The LORD bless you and keep you; the LORD make his face shine
upon you and be gracious to you; the LORD turn his face toward you
and give you peace."'
Numbers 6:24-26

"Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of
doing, but let us encourage one another -- and all the more as you see
the Day approaching."
Hebrews 10:25

"For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."
Matthew 11:30

Daily Inspiration

God is the best friend you will ever have and prayer is merely the technical term for having a chat with Him. Lord, let me tell You about some things that are on my mind and then I'll listen while You tell me what You think.

In your search for peace, look within. If you are looking elsewhere, you are looking in the wrong place. Lord, help me to open my heart to Your gift of peace and refuse to let anything in that disturbs it.

NA Just For Today

Tenth Step Inventory

"We continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it."
Step Ten

A daily Tenth Step keeps us on a sound spiritual footing. While each member asks different questions, some questions have been found to be helpful to almost everyone. Two key Tenth Step questions are, "Am I honestly in touch with myself, my actions, and my motives? And have I prayed for God's will for me and the power to carry it out?" These two questions, answered honestly, will lead us into a more thorough look at our day.

When focusing on our relationships with others, we may ask, "Have I harmed anyone today, either directly or indirectly? Do I need to make amends to anyone as a result of my actions today?" We keep it simple in our inventory if we remember to ask, "Where was I wrong? How can I do it better next time?"

NA members often find that their inventories include other important questions. "Was I good to myself today? Did I do something for someone else and expect nothing in return? Have I reaffirmed my faith in a loving Higher Power?" Step Ten is a maintenance step of the NA program. The Tenth Step helps us to continue living comfortably in recovery.

Just for today: I will remember to review my day. If I have harmed another, I will make amends. I will think about how I can act differently.

You are reading from the book Today's Gift.
... I cannot see
The love you offer.
--Emily Dickinson
How can we make love visible; how can we give it eyes? We can make love a present, wrap it carefully as if it were a beautiful thing. We can make love a favor nobody foresaw; we can fill a cup, prepare a meal, run an errand with our love. We can make love out of real words--in a letter, a note, a simple unrhymed poem. And we can make our love visible with our eyes by making our eyes meet those of the people we love.
When we turn a feeling like love into an act, we share it with those around us, and they are encouraged to return the favor, and in this way, the world's storehouse of love increases.
How can I show the love I feel today?

You are reading from the book Touchstones.
Lying to ourselves is more deeply ingrained than lying to others. --Fyodor Dostoyevsky
The primary requirement for our recovery is honesty. In order to grow in honesty we first needed to see how we had lied to others and to ourselves. This was not as easy as it first appeared. Our lies to ourselves kept us so fully in the dark that we did not know we were lying. We sometimes told "sincere" lies because we honestly did not distinguish the truth within ourselves. For so long we had preferred dishonest rationalizations, and we had come to believe them.
The spiritual life of this program is based upon experience. What we feel, what we see and hear, is what we know. When we simplify our lives and base the truth upon our experiences, we slowly cleanse ourselves of the lies we told ourselves. With this kind of honesty comes an inner peace with ourselves in whom we can say, "I know myself."
Today, I will accept my experience as a simple message of truth.

You are reading from the book Each Day a New Beginning.
A woman who has no way of expressing herself and of realizing herself as a full human has nothing else to turn to but the owning of material things. --Enriqueta Longeaux y Vasquez
Each of us struggling with these Twelve Steps is finding self-expression and self-definition. Introspection, coupled with self-revelation through sharing with others, affords us the awareness of how like others we are. How human we are. And what we receive from others who respond to our vulnerability diminishes our need for "things" to fill our lives.
The love that we receive freely from a trusting, caring friend or group fills up the empty places in our souls, the places we used to try filling up with alcohol or cookies or sex. New clothes maybe even a new home or a different job served their terms as void fillers too. Nothing succeeded for long, and then the program found us.
The program is the filler for all times. Of this we can be certain. Time will alleviate any doubts we may have. All that is asked of us is openness, honesty, and attention to others' needs as well as our own.
I can share our likenesses and relish whatever differences may surface. The chain of friendship I've created makes me the proud owner of my wholeness. I am a succeeding woman who is moving forward with courage and self-awareness on this, my road of life.

You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go.
Making Amends
Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others. --Step Nine of Al-Anon
When we make amends we need to be clear about what we're apologizing for and the best way to say we're sorry. What we are really doing with our amends is taking responsibility for our behavior. We need to be sure that the process itself will not be self defeating or hurtful.
Sometimes, we need to directly apologize for a particular thing we have done or our part in a problem.
Other times, instead of saying "I'm sorry," what we need to do is work on changing our behavior with a person.
There are times when bringing up what we have done and apologizing for it will make matters worse.
We need to trust timing, intuition, and guidance in this process of making amends. Once we become willing, we can let go and tackle our amends in a peaceful, consistent, harmonious way. If nothing feels right or appropriate, if it feels as if what we are about to do will cause a crisis or havoc, we need to trust that feeling.
Attitude, honesty, openness, and willingness count here. In peace and harmony, we can strive to clear up our relationships.
We deserve to be at peace with others and ourselves.
Today, I will be open to making any amends I need to make with people. I will wait for Divine Guidance in the process of making any amends that are not clear to me. I will act, when led. God, help me let go of my fear about facing people and taking responsibility for my behaviors. Help me know I am not diminishing my self-esteem by doing this; I am improving it.

Today I am open to be touched by joy, by love, by nature. Today I put aside all the happiness that I seek so that I can be free to experience the joy of this very moment...right now. --Ruth Fishel

Journey to the Heart
Open to Universal Love

Are you living with the belief that universal love isn't there for you?

When we look at what we've been through, sometimes we feel sad and abandoned. We see others dancing along their path, getting blessings, special help, gifts along the way. Then we turn to our own lives and see only those times we've been let down and left out, the times that life, people, and the world haven't been there for us. Universal love may be real, you say, but it's just not real for me.

Open your eyes. Open your heart. Open yourself to the universe. Begin to see and notice all the gifts you're given-- the clues, the direction, the support. Stop looking to one person or source and let life's magic dance for you. See how you get what you need. See how naturally the guidance comes when you trust that it will be there. See the smiles, see the friendship, feel the inspiration. Feel the loving touch of a hand on your arm. Say what you need. Say it aloud. Direct your words to the universe. Treat it as if it were a loving friend, and it will treat you the same way.

Universal love is there for you. Learn to recognize its touch and rhythm, for it is the rhythm of life and love.

more language of letting go
Find the gratitude

Here's an interesting phenomenon about gratitude: it's difficult to feel too bad when we're feeling grateful. Your mind has room for only one thought at a time. If you fill it with gratitude, there isn't room for negativity.

Today, be grateful for your life. Allow that gratitude to carry over into your activities and to flavor all of your interactions. Think of one thing to be grateful about in each activity you do, with each person you interact with, and in each task that you do.

Find the gratitude in your life and you'll find joy standing right next to it.

God, help me look for the good in my life.

The Mirroring World
We Are like Nature

As humans our lives are completely intertwined with the cycles and rhythms of nature.

Nature is a mirror, inspiring and teaching us, deepening our sense of belonging in the world. Wherever you look, you can see that our patterns and the patterns of the natural world are the same. You can find this resonance in every form, from molecules to plants and animals and to planets. We live our lives according to the same principles as the trees, the mountains, the clouds, and the birds.

We begin our lives in the womb, folded in on ourselves like the bud of a flower. We can see our whole lives in the mirror of this natural form. When we emerge from the womb, we slowly begin our unfolding, just as the flower begins to open its petals. At its prime, the flower draws many insects to it and also the eyes of appreciative humans. When the flower’s petals begin to fade and its life cycle comes to an end, it ceases to hold itself upright and returns to the earth. Traditionally, we return to the earth, just as all plants and animals do. Like flowers, we leave behind seeds in the forms of children and other gifts only we could have given. They continue to unfold even after we are gone. Rebirth is encoded into our lives, and death is just one part of the cycle.

Look around you, and you will find connection and insight. Notice how your moods shift from one to another like the sky shifts from bright blue to turbulent grays. Your thoughts are like clouds, appearing, changing shape, passing through, and then disappearing without a trace. The rain cleanses the sky, just as an emotional release cleanses your mind. The sky itself is your eternal awareness, unchanging underneath all these permutations. Let it reflect back to you your own abiding perfection.

As you walk through the world, find your own metaphors for connectedness in nature. Flesh them out fully and follow them as they lead you through the mystery and intelligence of life. Published with permission from Daily OM

A Day at a Time

Reflection for the Day
We all want to be rid of our most obvious and destructive flaws. No one wants to be so greedy that s/he's labeled a thief. No one wants to be angry enough to kill, lustful enough to rape, gluttonous enough to become ill. No one wants to be agonized by envy or paralyzed by procrastination. Of course, few of us suffer these defects at such rock-bottom levels. Not that that's reason to congratulate ourselves; chances are, pure self-interest enabled us to escape such extremes. Not much spiritual effort is involved in avoiding excesses which will bring severe punishment.

When I face up to the less violent and less deadly aspects of the very same defects, where do I stand then?

Today I Pray
May I give myself no back-pats for not committing murder or rape, beating up a rival, robbing a sweets shop or stealing from a down-and-outer. In all humility, may I understand that these are only more violent manifestations of human flaws I harbor in myself. May God give me the perseverance to change these from inside, rather than just lessening the degree to which I act them out for the world to see.

Today I Will Remember
Change the inside first.

Food For Thought

A Living Program

The Twelve Steps are a program for living and they are also a living program. Taking them is not something we do once and for all, but something we repeat over and over in greater depth. They are our guidelines for each day.

Our program develops as our understanding matures. When we first join OA, physical abstinence from compulsive overeating may be all we can handle. As we learn from fellow members and are increasingly exposed to the power of the group, our program comes to include more emotional and spiritual elements. The possibilities for development are limitless.

One thing leads to another. The creative force that guides OA directs our individual efforts. When we are open to the challenges and willing to give up self-will, we make progress, which gratifies and astounds us. This program not only works as we work it; it also grows as we grow.

We thank You for Your creative spirit.

One Day At A Time

LOVE
"When you love you should not say,
"God is in my heart," but rather,
"I am in the heart of God."
Kahlil Gibran

What is love? And what does it mean to love myself? I’ve found from my experience that it is easier to describe what love is not. Through many failures -- and with my Higher Power’s help -- I have discovered that to love myself means choosing to not hurt myself by overeating. Self-love means choosing to no longer ignore my inner-child who sometimes screams to be heard and must have a tantrum to get my attention. Self-love means not isolating or allowing the hurtful, grieving, angry, fearful thoughts to possess my mind to the degree that the disease overtakes any sanity I may have. This list could go on -- focusing on the failures and the negative -- but my Higher Power has given me the desire, strength and power to feel, express and give love. Our Higher Power offers the freedom and joy of self-love to each of us who are willing to receive and practice it.

The more I am able to receive the love of others, the more I am able to love myself. And conversely, the more I love myself, the more I am able to receive love from others. As I work this Twelve Step program to the best of my ability each 24 hours, I am shown love through meetings, my sponsor, meditating, journaling, spending time with my Higher Power, and sharing my experience, strength and hope with another person. Some days, “the best of my ability” may be to just get out of bed and say the Third Step prayer. Other days, “the best of my ability” will seem like I'm working the program close to perfection. Regardless of my ability on any particular day, I’ve found that love can be gleaned from each day.

As the quote above states, "I am in the heart of God." I experience this when I am willing to surrender daily to the will of my Higher Power and to be completely and absolutely surrounded and protected by the heart of God.

One Day at a Time . . .
I will seek to see love in as many moments as possible by looking to my Higher Power and then reaching out to others.
~ Ohitika

AA 'Big Book' - Quote

It may seem incredible that these men are to become happy, respected, and useful once more. How can they rise out of such misery, bad repute and hopelessness? The practical answer is that since these things have happened among us, they can happen with you. Should you wish them above all else, and be willing to make use of our experience, we are sure they will come. - Pg. 153 - A Vision For You

Hour To Hour - Book - Quote

It is important to stay away from 'trigger' people and places. These old influences can 'trigger' an overwhelming desire to use: bars, pot smoking, using friends, drug parties, cocktail parties, dealers, angry relatives, liquor stores, concerts, etc. We each need to determine our personal 'triggers' and stay away from them.

Divine Intelligence helps me honestly identify and stay away from my 'triggers.'

The Three C's

I didn't cause it, I can't control it and I can't cure it. I didn't cause it, I can't control it and I can't cure it. I didn't cause it, I can't control it and I can't cure it. I need to repeat and repeat this to myself in order to deal with my powerful disease of codependency that actually makes me feel that I did cause this disease, I can control it and I can cure it. When I get into this trap I lose myself all over again. I get into fights that cannot be won, I alienate others, I give away my power and I wind up feeling terrible about myself. Today I will not try to do the impossible. I will remember that my only job is to get better myself.

- Tian Dayton PhD

Pocket Sponsor - Book - Quote

In light of your recovery, when dealing with family and friends, you may have to make some unpopular decisions and enforce them. Be open to moving toward the middle of issues that don't com-promise your principles and going to any length for those that do.

My recovery is Twelve Steps past any lengths.

"Walk Softly and Carry a Big Book" - Book

Some people are so successful in AA they turn out almost as good as they used to think they were when they were drinking.

Time for Joy - Book - Quote

Today I am open to be touched by love, by joy, by nature.

Today I put aside all the happiness that I seek so that I can be free to experience the joy of this very moment . . . right now.

Alkiespeak - Book - Quote

A definition of an alcoholic: A drunk with a conscience. - Keith D
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing: