View Single Post
Old 11-11-2015, 07:30 AM   #11
bluidkiti
Administrator

November 11

Wisdom for Today

The Bible tells the story of the "Prodigal Son." In real life I lived this same story. I took my life and wasted it on insane living. Everything of any value to me was being destroyed by my addiction. Drinking and drugging led me down a path to destruction. After I had lost my family and my self-respect and anything that resembled hope, I had nowhere to turn. Everything was gone. "When he came to his senses, he said, I will go to my father." This is what an addict or an alcoholic does in the Twelve Step program. I had lost all hope; there was nowhere else to turn. I had to turn to a Power outside of myself.

Sometimes I wonder what caused me to turn to my senses. Somehow in the middle of my insanity, I turned back and looked for an answer. It was not inside of me. Everything I had tried didn't work. It had to be outside of me. I came to believe that I was not the answer. Sanity and wisdom returned. In defeat I found victory. In surrender I found hope and a way out. Have I stopped looking to myself for a way out?

Meditations for the Heart

"Keep it simple, stupid," is a slogan that teaches us that when we complicate life and lose sight of simplicity, I can take my troubles and blow them way out of proportion. I have found that simplicity is a way to unburden myself of heavy loads. When I face my problems honestly and carry them to my Higher Power, I find that I am rewarded with answers or directions for making my problems better. Believe me, it is not always easy to do this; but this simple concept does work. When I try to be my own Higher Power and run the show my way, my problems invariably get worse. When I retreat into denial or pretend that my problems don't exist, eventually they get worse. But when I surrender them to God and ask for His help, things change for the better. They don't always change the way I would expect, but change happens, and the problems do get better. Do I see the simplicity of surrender?

Petitions to my Higher Power

God,
Sometimes I still wander off the path of recovery. I don't drink or use, but I loose sight of the steps and keeping it simple. Each time I do this, things get crazy for me again. I am so grateful that I can turn back to You, God, over and over again to be led back to the path of recovery. Help me keep things simple today.
Amen.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing: