View Single Post
Old 05-17-2017, 01:53 AM   #17
bluidkiti
Administrator

AA Thought for the Day

May 17

Dependence
The minute we put our work on a service plane, the alcoholic commences to rely upon our
assistance rather than upon God. He clamors for this or that, claiming he cannot master alcohol
until his material needs are cared for. Nonsense. Some of us have taken very hard knocks to learn this truth:
Job or no job—wife or no wife—we simply do not stop drinking so long as we place dependence
upon other people ahead of dependence on God.
- Alcoholics Anonymous, p 98

Thought to Ponder . . .
In AA we don't carry the alcoholic; we carry the message.

AA-related 'Alconym' . . .
F R O G = Fully Rely On God.

~*~A.A. Thoughts For The Day~*~

Fear
"This short word somehow touches
about every aspect of our lives.
It was an evil and corroding thread;
the fabric of our existence was shot through with it.
It set in motion trains of circumstances which
brought us misfortune we felt we didn't deserve.
But did not we, ourselves, set the ball rolling?
Sometimes we think fear
ought to be classed with stealing.
It seems to cause more trouble."
Alcoholics Anonymous, pp. 67-8.

Thought to Consider . . .
Anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows,
but only empties today of its strength.

*~*~*AACRONYMS*~*~*
F E A R = Forever Escaping And Retreating

*~*~*~*~*^Just For Today!^*~*~*~*~*

Literature
>From "The Three Legacies of Alcoholics Anonymous":
"My elation was disturbed by disquieting thoughts. Suppose our embryo book were someday to become the chief text
for our fellowship. Our principal written asset would then be owned by an outside publisher, a fine and conservative one
surely, but nevertheless an outsider.
"Soon afterward, one of the most terrific power-drivers I have ever met got into the act. This was my friend Henry P.,
one-time Standard Oil executive and the very first alcoholic ever to stay sober even a little while in the New York group.
¦'Why don't we put this proposed book on a business basis and form a stock company? Let's sell shares to our own
folks right here in New York.' . . .
"I went back to [Harper's Editor and A.A. friend] Gene Exman and frankly explained to him what was about to happen. To
my utter amazement, he agreed, quite contrary to his own interest, that a society like ours ought to control and publish
its own literature."
2001 AAWS, Inc.; Alcoholics Anonymous Comes of Age, pgs. 154-55

*~*~*~*~*^ Grapevine Quote ^*~*~*~*~*

"AA's greatest power is not in the program itself, but in the examples of the men [and women] who have followed it."
Walla Walla,Wash., February 1955
"Prisoner AA,"
AA Grapevine

~*~*~*~*^ Big Book & Twelve N' Twelve Quotes of the Day ^*~*~*~*~*

"Next we launched out on a course of vigorous action, the first step
of which is a personal housecleaning, which many of us had never
attempted. Though our decision was a vital and crucial step, it
could have little permanent effect unless at once followed by a
strenuous effort to face, and to be rid of, the things in ourselves
which had been blocking us. Our liquor was but a symptom. So we had
to get down to causes and conditions.
Therefore, we started upon a personal inventory. This was Step Four."
~Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, How It Works, pg. 63~

"The spiritual life is not a theory. We have to live it."
~Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, Into Action, pg. 83~

Most of us would declare that without a fearless admission of our defects to another human being we could not stay sober.
-Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, p. 57

Misc. AA Literature - Quote

Beyond Agnosticism
We of agnostic temperament found that as soon as we were able to lay aside prejudice and express even a willingness
to believe in a Power greater than ourselves, we commenced to get results, even though it was impossible for any of us
to fully define or comprehend that Power, which is God.
'Many people soberly assure me that man has no better place in the universe than that of another completing organism,
fighting its way through life only to perish in the end. Hearing this, I feel that I still prefer to cling to the so-called illusion of
religion, which in my own experience has meaningfully told me something very different.'
1. ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS, P. 46
2. LETTER, 1946

Prayer For The Day: Dear Lord, there are times in my life when I seem to be getting no where, when I am forced to mark time. Help me to learn the hard lesson of patience, and to put my trust in You. ... Help me to use these times wisely, to sort out my relationship with You, and to gain a new perspective, that I may set more realistic goals, which will be pleasing to You. Give me patience to await Your timing. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote