View Single Post
Old 07-06-2016, 08:21 AM   #9
bluidkiti
Administrator

July 9

Wisdom for Today
In fulfilling our obligation to give back to the program, we also receive many benefits. Sharing my experience, strength and hope have really forced me to learn more and more about the program. As I share with others in the program, I am continually confronted with new questions – questions for which I do not immediately have answers. This in turn motivates me to find these answers, not just because I want to help others, but because it also helps me when I find these answers. Someday I may need these answers for myself. Frequently when asked a question, I need to go back to the AA Big Book or the Twelve and Twelve and reread sections to remind myself what the program teaches. It has had me go back to my sponsor to have long discussions on certain topics. It has increased my desire to learn more. It has increased my willingness to change the things I can.
When I don't have the answers and then discover them through researching program literature or talking with others, I find I am stronger. I go back to the person who originally asked me the question and share what I have learned and how I came to know what I have learned. They are always grateful, and we may talk at length about this information. New connections are formed, and my circle of recovery grows larger and stronger. I learn more from hearing others' viewpoints, frustrations and triumphs. It is these types of interactions that are really at the heart of the program – one alcoholic or addict sharing with another. I am helped and so is the other. I am glad that I don't know everything about the program. These types of interactions keep me growing. Am I willing to learn the answers I do not know?
Meditations for the Heart
For a long time, I did not understand why I needed to keep going to meetings and reading program materials. I thought that eventually I would know enough to get through life without having to continue my connections in the program. Fortunately, God in His wisdom knows that I will always need to keep learning and growing in my recovery. He sees to it that I face new and different situations in my life that keep bringing me back to the tables of the program. Even when I have a good understanding of the principles of the program, I am faced with new situations in my life that cause me to apply these principles in new and different ways. The word “powerless” for me has had to be applied to many different events and situations in my life. I have had to learn to use the steps, not just with my addiction, but also with life. Being able to share these experiences with others has been good for me because I in turn have my beliefs strengthened and my program broadened. Do I know I need to keep growing?
Petitions to my Higher Power
God,
Let me begin this day as an open book where You write the words. Let me read the words You inscribe and learn from them how to live my life. Let me always be open to new growth. Help me to expand my knowledge of the program and teach me to use what I have learned. Keep me open to sharing from my experience, so that others may benefit, and I in turn learn more.
Amen.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing: