bluidkiti
Administrator

AA Thought for the Day

September 15

Insanity
What sort of thinking dominates an alcoholic who repeats time after time
the desperate experiment of the first drink? Friends who have reasoned with
him after a spree which has brought him to the point of divorce or bankruptcy
are mystified when he walks directly into a saloon.
Why does he? Of what is he thinking?
- Alcoholics Anonmy, p. 35

Thought to Ponder
Alcohol—cunning, baffling, powerful!

AA-related 'Alconym'
I S M = Incredibly Short Memory.

*~A.A. Thoughts For The Day~*~

Fear
"We of AA now find ourselves in a world characterized
by destructive fears as never before in history.
But in it we nevertheless see great areas of faith
and tremendous aspirations toward justice and brotherhood.
Yet no prophet can presume to say whether the world outcome
will be blazing destruction or the beginning,
under God's intention,
of the brightest era yet known to mankind. . .
We AA's can say that we do not fear the world outcome,
whichever course it may take.
This is because we have been enabled to deeply
feel and say,
'We shall fear no evil - Thy will, not ours, be done.' "
Bill W., January 1962
c. 1988AAGrapevine, The Language of the Heart, p. 268

Thought to Consider . . .
Let us always love the best in others -
and never fear their worst

*~*~*AACRONYMS*~*~*
F A I T H = Fear Ain't In This House

*~*~*~*~*^Just For Today!^*~*~*~*~*

Bright Spot
Practical experience shows that nothing will so much insure immunity from drinking as intensive work with other alcoholics. It works when other activities fail. This is our twelfth suggestion: Carry this message to other alcoholics! You can help when no one else can. You can secure their confidence when others fail. Remember they are very ill.
Life will take on new meaning. To watch people recover, to see them help others, to watch loneliness vanish, to see a fellowship grow up about you, to have a host of friends - this is an experience you must not miss. We know you will not want to miss it. Frequent contact with newcomers and with each other is the bright spot of our lives.
2001, AAWS, Inc., Alcoholics Anonymous, page 89

*~*~*~*~*^ Grapevine Quote ^*~*~*~*~*

"The next time you feel hurt, outraged, bitter or resentful - the beginning of many a slip as attested to by AA speakers - try to remember quickly that you haven't been mortally harmed. In nearly all cases, it's just a pain in your feelings!"
Elmhurst, N.Y., March 1950
"Got a Pain in Your Feelings?"
Emotional Sobriety II

*~*~*~*~*^ Big Book & Twelve N' Twelve Quotes of the Day ^*~*~*~*~*

"A body badly burned by alcohol does not often recover overnight nor do twisted thinking and depression vanish in a twinkling. We are convinced that a spiritual mode of living is a most powerful health restorative."
~Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, The Family Afterward, Page 133~

Helping others is the foundation stone of your recovery. A kindly
act once in a while isnt enough. You have to act the Good
Samaritan
every day, if need be.
~Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, Working With Others, pg. 97~

Nothing counted but thoroughness and honesty.
-Alcoholics Anonymous p. 65

With a proper display of honesty and morality, we'd stand a better chance of getting what we really wanted.
-Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions p. 72

Misc. AA Literature - Quote

Some will object to many of the questions that should be answered in a moral inventory, because they think their own character defects have not been so glaring. To these, it can be suggested that a conscientious examination is likely to reveal the very defects the objectionable questions are concerned with.
Because our surface record hasn't looked too bad, we have frequently been abashed to find that this is so simply because we have buried these selfsame defects deep down in us under thick layers of self-justification. Those were the defects that finally ambushed us into alcoholism and misery.

Prayer for the Day: God, Help Me Live Today - God, more than anything else in the world, I just don't want to be sick anymore. God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change (people, places, and things), The courage to change the things I can (my attitudes), And the common sense to know the difference. God, help me please, stay clean and sober this day, even if it's in spite of myself. Help me Lord, stay sensitive to my own needs, and the things that are good for me, the needs of others and the things that are good for them. And if You please, Lord, free me enough of the bondage of self that I may be of some useful value as a human being, whether I understand or not, That I may carry my own keys, maintain my own integrity, and live this day at peace with You, at peace with myself, and at peace with the world I live in, just for today. God help me in this day, demonstrate that: It is good for me to love and be loved. It is good for me to understand and to be understood. It is good for me to give and to receive. It is good for me to comfort and to allow myself to be comforted. And it obviously far better for me to be useful as a human being, than it is for me to be selfish. God, help me please put one foot in front of the other, keep moving forward and do the best I can with what I have to work with today, Accepting the results of whatever that may or may not be.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing: