View Single Post
Old 09-18-2016, 08:49 AM   #24
bluidkiti
Administrator

September 24

Wisdom for Today

One of the times that I struggle most is when I am sick or have physical pain. When I don't feel well and am having a hard time just doing the basic tasks of the day, it is easy to fall into some big traps. The first trap is a desire for immediate relief. I want out of the place in which I am, even if it is only temporary. This is dangerous thinking for the alcoholic or addict. The other trap is the "poor me" syndrome. Feeling sorry for myself is equally dangerous. The final trap is isolation. I don't want to be around anyone when I am not feeling well. I tend to get short with my patience and short with my anger. I just want relief.

Fortunately, the program has taught me some valuable lessons. The first is delayed gratification. Some things just have to be worked for. This is true with physical recovery. I have to work harder at being responsible and harder at being patient. Illness is a temporary condition. It will pass. The same is true of pain. Having had to endure the struggles of physical rehabilitation, I know this firsthand. I also know I must get out of isolation and "tell on my disease." If I start to get into stinking thinking, I have to call someone and tell on myself. Friends in recovery are quick to get me back on track. Am I willing to use the tools that the program offers me when I am sick or in pain?

Meditations for the Heart

“Keep it simple” is the slogan that has real meaning for me when I am sick or in pain. I have to go back and rely on the basics. I cannot afford to run to the drug store looking for a quick cure. It would be too easy to pick up something that might put my recovery at risk. This is why I have talked these things though with my doctor ahead of time, so I know which medications are safe for me and which ones aren't. I have to rely on the help of others. My sponsor is a good one to cheer me up. He will remind me of what taking care of myself really means. Keep it simple! Don't be afraid to ask for help and guidance. Do I have a good plan in place should I become ill or injured?

Petitions to my Higher Power

God,

When I am not feeling well or in pain, help me to know I am not alone. Give me patience while my body heals. Help me to be responsible and to care for myself so that I can return to health. Keep me watchful for the traps that lie along the path, and help me avoid them.

Amen.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing: