View Single Post
Old 08-07-2016, 09:50 AM   #7
bluidkiti
Administrator

August 7

Step by Step

Today, look to the 12th Step and ask if we are effective carriers of the message. Before we can carry the message, Step 12 suggests we first have a spiritual awakening and, second, we practice the principles of all 12 Steps and Traditions in"all our affairs." If, on honest evaluation, we can truthfully attest to a spiritual awakening and to practicing the principles of the 12 Steps "in all our affairs," we might be an effective carrier of the message to someone who is both struggling to get and stay sober. But if we scoff at the idea of a spiritual awakening or apply some of the program's principles selectively, how can we be an effective 12th-Stepper? How do we carry a message we have not embraced? Because a way of keeping what we have been given in the program is to give it away, we seek wisdom from our higher power to be humbled to carry the message. And our common journey continues. Step by step. - Chris M.

~ EASY DOES IT ~ (A Book of Daily 12 Step Meditations) ~

FEARING THE UNKNOWN

The actual enemy is the unknown.

~ Thomas Mann ~

Before we entered the Program, fear of the unknown was a large part of our lives. After a time in recovery, we learn how to control that fear by controlling our tendency to return to old behavior or use of harmful substances.

We know that recovery based wholly on fear will not last. If we spend all our time being afraid of our addiction, we won't be able to enjoy the changes and discoveries of our new life. We function better on common sense. Our understanding of fear needs to be based in reality. We thrive on trust rather than worry, uncertainty and dread.

We are taught that we don't need to fear the unknown when we learn to turn it over to our Higher Power. The unknown becomes simply a chance to change for the better.

Much of my fear of the unknown springs from my lack of confidence in coping with unexpected experiences. I am learning to live without anticipating trouble, and to deal with it when it comes.

~ WISDOM TO KNOW ~ (More Daily Meditations For Men) ~

I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it.

~ Pablo Picasso ~

We fear trying something that we are not good at. We don’t want to do something that we don’t already have a handle on. If it isn’t our usual way, we doubt that it’s right for us. We are afraid of looking foolish, or we are suspicious of things that are unfamiliar.

But let us look at the most accomplished people we know. They didn’t achieve greatness by repeating what they already knew. They felt strong enough within themselves—they had the courage—to take risks. Failures were part of their learning and became the basis for greater accomplishment.

Some men get older without ever getting wiser or more grown up. They hold willfully onto what they already know. This lifestyle, living in the light of the Twelve Step program, challenges us to continually push into new territories of growth. We walk on paths where we cannot always see around the next turn. We don’t know how to recover before we get on the path of recovery.

Today is another day in which I will do thing? that push my learning forward.

~ A WOMAN’S SPIRIT ~ (More Meditations For Women) ~

I used to think, this is just the way I am. Now I know that I create myself anew—every day.

~ Jill Clark ~

Even when we wallowed in drags and self-pity, we were in charge of our choices. Try as we might to blame others for our failures, the buck stops here.

The necessity of taking responsibility for our entire life may be one of the hardest lessons we have to learn. We can start accepting responsibility by following the example of others in this circle of recovery. We can quit blaming parents, teachers, siblings, or neighbors for our problems and habitual defects of character.

We must finally accept that we always had choices on how to respond to every transgression against us. As youngsters we may not have felt empowered to stand up for ourselves, but we must take that step now, or be forever stuck in the patterns of the past.

Today is a clean slate. I will be me, whoever I decide "me” is. I will become a work of art today.

~ TODAY I WILL DO ONE THING ~ (Daily Readings for Awareness and Hope) ~

I have strength and patience

When I was at bottom with my dual disorder I could hardly get out of bed or stop crying. I could hardly eat or stop obsessing. I was desperate. I was afraid that I might never find relief. Finally I got evaluated by a psychiatrist who prescribed psychotherapy and a psychiatric medication. She warned me that it would take a couple of weeks for the medicine to become effective. It felt like forever.

But with the help of my higher power and my sponsor, I managed to hang on until the medication could take effect. And through the process, I learned something very important about myself: I have more strength and patience than I ever knew. I am strong enough to allow time to help me heal.

In my journal I will describe two ways I am strong or patient.

~ BODY, MIND, AND SPIRIT ~ (Inspiration and Support for Recovery) ~

That is the happiest conversation where there is no competition, no vanity, but a calm, quiet interchange of sentiments.

~ Samuel Johnson ~

When we say “We’re not communicating well,” often what we’re really saying is, “I’m communicating just fine; it’s the other person who isn’t communicating well!” We tend to expect other people, especially those closest to us, to know instinctively what we want to hear. But not everyone communicates the same way, and it’s easier to change ourselves than the other person.

When we talk to a loved one about our recovery, our new sober friends, and our new experiences, we may be disappointed because they don’t react the way we expected. We’re hurt and believe since we initiated the discussion, the other person has the communication problem.

But we can’t change another, we can’t force someone to say the words we long to hear. We can only change ourselves. We can start by letting go of expectations. Trust in our Higher Power can help us feel safe even when things don’t go as we’d planned. We can forgive others for not being as we’d hoped. And we can choose to share our joy in recovery with those who understand and will nurture us. Sharing our feelings for the simple pleasure of self-expression can bring us great joy. In doing this, we communicate our true selves.

Today let me share honestly and without expectations.

~ MORNING LIGHT ~ (Meditations to Begin Your Day) ~

God brings men into deep waters, not to drown them, but to cleanse them.

~ John Aughey ~

A woman who had great faith rented a boat with the intent of crossing a lake. “Be back within the hour,” the boat rental owner advised. “A storm is coming.” The woman smiled, “God will protect me.”

When she was partway across the lake, the storm rolled In and her boat capsized. Soon she saw the boat rental owner steering a boat toward her. “Get in,” he shouted, but the woman said, “God will save me.”

Sometime later, the woman heard a helicopter and saw a long cable extending down toward her. “Climb up,” the pilot shouted, but she refused. “God will take care of me.” It was not long before the woman was standing, dripping wet, before God. “Why did you let me drown?” she asked. “I have faith in you. I thought you would save me.” or “Who do you think sent the boat and the helicopter?” God asked.

Remember that your Higher Power can be a lifesaver, but only when you can grab hold and take action on your own. Reach out to God whenever you are in need, but also take responsibility for finding what you are looking for.

Today I have faith in a Higher Power and also in myself.

~ NIGHT LIGHT ~ (A Book Of Nighttime Meditations) ~

I been so busy thinking about Him I never truly notice nothing God make. Not a blade of corn (how it do that?) not the color purple (where it come from?). Not the little wildflowers. Nothing.

~ Alice Walker, The Color Purple ~

Each snowflake that falls from the sky has a different pattern. Every fall foliage season is a spectacular pallet of oranges, reds, and yellows. The height of the giant redwoods is astounding. The rainbow after a rainstorm, the camouflage of nature's insects and animals, and the majesty of the mountains are just a few of the natural wonders of the world.

How often do we notice these wonders? How often do we go out of our way to discover a new path, or vary our schedules to include a new hobby, task, or person in our lives?

Tonight we can slow down the pace and notice the things around us. If we can quietly think about these things for a few minutes, then we have meditated upon them and brought ourselves spiritually closer to them. We can begin to notice the creations of our Higher Power and appreciate their beauty.

Am I grateful for the creations of my Higher Power?

~ DAY BY DAY ~ (Daily Meditations for Recovering Addicts) ~

Getting past the differences

Although the language of the Twelve Step program may sound religious at times, its goals are entirely spiritual. Whether we hold atheistic, Christian, Jewish, Muslim, or other beliefs, we are welcome in the fellowship.

To take part, all we need to do is accept that we have addiction we cannot handle on our own and accept that a power greater than ourselves can help.

Can I take what I like from the program and leave the rest?

Higher Power, help me see what I share with others in the program and to let go of the differences.

Today I will decide what I like, and dislike, about the program by

God help me to stay clean and sober to day!

~ IF YOU WANT WHAT WE HAVE ~ (Sponsorship Meditations) ~

What is not recorded is not remembered.

~ BENAZIR BHUTTO ~

Newcomer

What if I don't think that I've harmed many people or that the harm was significant?

Sponsor

There's a program saying that when a train is wrecked, it's not just the engineer who gets hurt. We're not alone; none of us live in total isolation from others.

Perhaps we haven't stolen money, attacked anyone with our fists, demolished someone's character, or been sexually irresponsible. But if we've been angry impatient, and critical, those around us have suffered from our lack of under- standing and appreciation. Or have we been smothering and over responsible, enabling others to neglect their own responsibilities? It simply isn't possible for someone whose life has been affected by an addiction not to have caused some damage whether the damage has been mental, physical, or spiritual.

Taking this Step gently but thoroughly, neither overstating nor ignoring the impact we've had on others, can liberate us from the incorrect belief that we have no effect in the world.

Today, I'm open to the healing that begins withmaking a list of everyone whom I have harmed.

~ THE EYE OPENER ~

Service ends one of his verses in this fashion, “it’s the keeping on living that's hard.” Living has always been hard, not only for the alcoholic, but for humanity in general, since the beginning of recorded history, and was probably even worse before that.

We are surrounded on all sides by people who find living all too rugged for their puny strength. This is our opportunity. We find we can lighten their load of living and, curiously enough, we find that we lighten our own loads in so doing. Living then becomes less hard for us and assumes a sweetness that appears divine in its richness.

~ The 12 STEP PRAYER BOOK ~ (A Collection of Favorite 12 Step Prayers and Inspirational Readings) ~

Let the Worst Be Known

Lord, this I pray,
As long as I'm preoccupied with my own secret problems, not sharing them with anyone, I'm critical, insensitive, selfish, and full of self-pity.
Help me to share and honestly reveal my secret problems.
O God, show me the way out.
Show me the way to make the worst known, for then I will honestly release my secret problems to those close to me and surrender them to You.
This suffering will pass.
This suffering I will use in understanding and helping others.

~ AROUND THE YEAR WITH EMMET FOX ~ (A Book of Daily Readings) ~

FALSE ALLEGIANCE

THE SEVENTH COMMANDMENT

Thou shalt not commit adultery (Exodus 20:14).

Naturally, this commandment means what it says. The Christian standard of conduct with regard to personal purity will never be improved on. Not to commit adultery is fundamentally important because on it is founded the sanctity of the family. But, of course, there is a great deal more in it than that.

One of the most common Hebrew synonyms was adultery for idolatry. In the Old Testament these two words are almost always interchangeable. The worship of false gods was described as adultery. The fundamental idea behind this commandment is to have one God. As you read through the Old Testament, you will find that the idea of the adulterous woman who is unfaithful to her husband constantly means the human soul that is turning away to some other god.

~ A DEEP BREATH OF LIFE ~ (365 Daily Inspirations for Heart-Centered Living) ~

Divine Order Now

Now let the weeping cease;
let no one mourn again.
These things are in the hand of God.

~ Sophocles ~

We regret to announce that Flight 317 has been canceled due to mechanical trouble. Please stay in the waiting room until we have a further advisory." A wave of groans and protests rose from the mass of disgruntled passengers. The stress level grew higher when the agent announced that the airline had found a replacement plane, but it was smaller than the original one; passengers for the new flight would be selected by lottery. Passenger Eric Butterworth reminded himself that divine order was in force, and if he was to be on that plane, he would be. He recognized that anxious stressing or complaining would not help anyone, and placed the whole affair in the hands of God. Dr. Butterworth saw that nearly everyone in the room was upset except for one man who seemed relaxed, taking it all in stride. Eric took a seat next to the fellow and struck up a conversation. Soon, the results of the lottery were announced. Can you guess which names were called first? That's right—Dr. Butterworth and his newfound friend.

Jesus reminded us, "Take no thought for tomorrow." Tomorrow means anything in the future. He asked, "Can any among you add one cubit to your height or one day to your life through anxious worry?" Of course not. The serenity prayer reminds us to ask: God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

A Course in Miracles suggests that we affirm, "l place the future in the hands of God." Indeed we must, because the future is in the hands of God. We do not need to feverishly hustle to make sure everything will turn out right. We attract all that turns out right by being at peace.

Help me to not be distracted by appearances. Let me remember that You are in charge, love is present, and all is well.

Divine order is in force here, now, and always.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote