View Single Post
Old 06-02-2014, 06:17 AM   #2
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

AA 'Big Book' - Quote

Dr. Harry M. Tiebout, psychiatrist: 'As a psychiatrist, I have thought a great deal about the relationship of my specialty to A.A. and I have come to the conclusion that our particular function can very often lie in preparing the way for the patient to accept any sort of treatment or outside help. I now conceive the psychiatrist's job to be the task of breaking down the patient's inner resistance so that which is inside him will flower, as under the activity of the A.A. program.'

Pg. 569 - 4th. Ed. - Appendices III - The Medical View On A.A.

=====

Hour To Hour - Book - Quote

An understanding of the false 'benefits' of mind-affecting chemicals is required so we can begin anew. An understanding of the 'tricks' of the mind to get us to use is also needed. Then we can enter into the truth.

God, as I understand You, bring the light of truth to my eyes.

=====

Patience with Myself

Today, I will be patient with myself. When I do not do as well as I wish I would, I will not make that a reason to get down on myself. I will instead recognize that the fastest way to bring myself out of a painful funk is through understanding and being good to myself. I needn't get caught in my own cycle of shame, resentment and blame. If a child is upset, I comfort the child because I understand that is what will makes things better. I give myself the same comfort that I would extend to a hurt child knowing that it will help me have the strength to forgive and move on.

- Tian Dayton PhD

=====

Member Submitted Quotes

If it feels good, do it... If it doesn't, fix it... If you can't fix it, forget it... If you can't forget it, file it away for future reference... But, for God's sake ( and your own ) DON'T DO IT AGAIN! ( Gayle )

=====

Misc. AA Literature - Quote

Suppose A.A. falls under sharp public attack or heavy ridicule, having little or no justification in fact. Our best defense in these situations would be no defense whatever--namely, complete silence at the public level. If in good humor we let unreasonable critics alone, they are apt to subside the more quickly. If their attacks persist and it is plain that they are misinformed, it may be wise to communicate with them privately in a temperate and informative way.
If, however, a given criticism of A.A. is partly or wholly justified, it may be well to acknowledge this privately to the critics, together with our thanks.
But under no conditions should we exhibit anger or any punitive intent.
<<<>>>
What we must recognize is that we exult in some of our defects. Self-righteous anger can be very enjoyable. In a perverse way we can actually take satisfaction from the fact that many people annoy us; it brings a comfortable feeling of superiority.

=====

Pocket Sponsor - Book - Quote

What comes after ninety days? Ninety-one! 'Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.' ~Will Rogers

There are only two times I have to diligently work this program, the first 90 days and every day after that!

=====

From "Walk Softly and Carry a Big Book" - Book

Try to live life without adding to your 8th Step list.

=====

Practice opposites to find peace of mind - Soldier Billy. / STINGO - Stop Think Inhale Now Go On - Soldier Billy.

WASP - Wait Absorb Slowly Proceed - Soldier Billy.

Trust in Allah but tie your camel to the post - Soldier Billy.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

MajestyJo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MajestyJo For Sharing: