View Single Post
Old 07-13-2016, 09:11 AM   #15
bluidkiti
Administrator

July 15

Wisdom for Today
In working with others, one of the best rewards that is gained is a real and true sense of usefulness. In my active addiction I really felt like I was a useless piece of junk. There was little that I did about which I felt good. Most of what I did left me feeling empty inside. But this has not been the case with sharing with others and helping them through by sharing my own experiences in recovery. I have found myself filled with the joy that comes from knowing that something I shared has genuinely helped another. When someone comes back to me and says that something I told them actually aided them in their recovery, I feel that I have done something to help another. Nothing I know of makes one feel more useful.
These opportunities to assist others in their recovery happen in many ways. Perhaps it is simply sharing my story at a meeting. Perhaps someone will approach me after a meeting and ask for help with some specific issue. Sometimes I find out I have helped others simply through my example. This in part is why it is important for me to live the program in all that I do. Regardless of how the opportunity to assist others happens in my life, I can rest assured that I never face this alone. My Higher Power walks with me in my interactions with all whom I meet. He will guide my words. So in truth, it is God who gives me this feeling of usefulness. Have I stopped feeling like a useless piece of junk?
Meditations for the Heart
One step at a time! This is how we walk with others on the path of recovery. Often times walking these steps through the fear, or pain or anger in early recovery can be arduous steps. It is easy to walk with someone only a short distance and then go back. It is far more of a challenge for us to walk with someone the entire distance. But think back to those who have provided you with support in your own journey, and you will see that those who walked with you each step of the way provided you with what you needed most. Think about how your Higher Power supports you. Does He not take each step with you? We must be ready to go the distance with others in need. We will know we have gone this distance when the individual offers their gratitude and moves onward in their journey with another to guide them in the next portion of their journey. Am I willing to go the whole distance?
Petitions to my Higher Power
God,
You have walked each and every step of this journey with me. Your encouragement and wisdom guided my steps. Now You have brought me to a place where I can feel of use to others. Give me the courage to walk with them the entire distance. Help me this day to remain open to Your will for me and others.
Amen.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing: