View Single Post
Old 04-10-2017, 07:02 AM   #10
bluidkiti
Administrator

AA Thought for the Day

April 10

Two Alternatives
We were in a position where life was becoming impossible, and if we had passed
into the region from which there is no return through human aid, we had but two alternatives:
One was to go on to the bitter end, blotting out the consciousness of our intolerable situation
as best we could; and the other, to accept spiritual help.
- Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 25

Thought to Ponder . . .
I have learned that I did not get here a day early or a drink short.

AA-related 'Alconym' . . .
H E L P = His Ever-Loving Presence.

~*~A.A. Thoughts For The Day~*~

Earnestness
"An alcoholic in his cups is an unlovely creature.
Our struggles with them are variously
strenuous, comic, and tragic.
One poor chap committed suicide in my home.
He could not, or would not, see our way of life.
There is, however, a vast amount of fun about it all.
I suppose some would be shocked at our
seeming worldliness and levity.
But just underneath there is
deadly earnestness.
Faith has to work twenty-four hours a day
in and through us,
or we perish."
Bill W., Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 92

Thought to Consider....
Laughter is the sound effect of recovery.

*~*~*AACRONYMS*~*~*
DEAD
Drinking Ends All Dreams

*~*~*~*~*^Just For Today!^*~*~*~*~*

>From "The Three Legacies of Alcoholics Anonymous":
"Three blocks away from the main office we have a good-sized loft space where all shipping and mailing is done. This
activity now runs into tons of material a month. Six busy lads spend full time at it. Last year they shipped about 40,000
books and hundreds of thousands of pamphlets, many of them newly designed and edited largely through the work of
Ralph, our consultant on pamphlet literature. They mailed about 30,000 letters and bulletins and did huge quantities of
mimeographing. [c. 1959]"
2001 AAWS, Inc.; Alcoholics Anonymous Comes of Age, pg. 207

*~*~*~*~*^ Grapevine Quote ^*~*~*~*~*

"Finally came April 1939. The book was done. Tales of recovery for its story section had been supplied by Dr. Bob and
his Akron brethren. Others were supplied by New Yorkers, New Jerseyites. One came in from Cleveland and another
from Maryland. Chapters had been read and discussed at meetings. I had thought myself the author of the text until I
discovered I was just the umpire of the differences of opinion. After endless voting on a title for the new work we had
decided to call it The Way Out. But inquiry by Fitz M., our Maryland alcoholic, at The Library of Congress disclosed the
fact that 12 books already bore that title. Surely we couldn't make our book the 13th. So we named it Alcoholics
Anonymous instead! Though we didn't know it, our movement then got its name -- a name which because of the
implication of humility and modesty has given us our treasured spiritual principle of anonymity."
AA Co-Founder, Bill W., July 1947
"Book Publication Proved Discouraging Venture"
The Language of the Heart

~*~*~*~*^ Big Book & Twelve N' Twelve Quotes of the Day ^*~*~*~*~*

"Thus was I convinced that God is concerned with us humans when we want
Him enough. At long last I saw, I felt, I believed. Scales of pride and
prejudice fell from my eyes. A new world came into view."
~Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, Bill's Story, pg. 12~

I was to sit quietly when in doubt, asking only for direction and strength to meet my problems as He would have me.
-Alcoholics Anonymous p. 13 (Bill’s Story)

Many of us also like the experience of an occasional retreat from the outside world where we can quiet down for an
undisturbed day or so of self-overhaul and meditation.
-Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions p. 89

Misc. AA Literature - Quote

The Forgotten Mountain
When I was a child, I acquired some of the traits that had a lot to do with my insatiable craving for alcohol. I was brought
up in a little town in Vermont, under the shadow of Mount Aeolus. An early recollection is that of looking up at this vast
and mysterious mountain, wondering what it meant and whether I could ever climb that high. But I was presently
distracted by my aunt who, as a fourth-birthday present, made me a plate of fudge. For the next thirty-five years I
pursued the fudge of life and quite forgot about the mountain.
When self-indulgence is less than ruinous, we have a milder word for it. We call it 'taking our comfort.' 1. A.A. COMES
OF AGE, PP. 52-53BR>2. TWELVE AND TWELVE, P. 67

Prayer For The Day: Dear Father, please protect me in my journey and light my way. Forgive me when I do wrong for I am trying.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote