View Single Post
Old 05-11-2017, 03:56 AM   #11
bluidkiti
Administrator

AA Thought for the Day

May 11

Insanity
He had much knowledge about himself as an alcoholic. Yet all reasons for not drinking were easily
pushed aside in favor of the foolish idea that he could take whiskey if only he mixed it with milk!
Whatever the precise definition of the word may be, we call this plain insanity.
How can such a lack of proportion, of the ability to think straight, be called anything else?
- Alcoholics Anonymous, pp. 36 - 37

Thought to Ponder . . .
Don't believe everything you think.

AA-related 'Alconym' . . .
D E A D = Drinking Ends All Dreams.

~*~A.A. Thoughts For The Day~*~

Maturity
"Many oldsters who have put our AA 'booze cure'
to severe but successful tests
still find they often lack emotional sobriety.
To attain this,
we must develop a real maturity and balance
(which is to say humility)
in our relations with ourselves,
with our fellows,
and with God."
Bill W., Box 1980: The AA Grapevine, January 1958
As Bill Sees It, p. 244

Thought to Consider . . .
"We must find a spiritual basis of life -- or else."
Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 44

*~*~*AACRONYMS*~*~*
AA
Attitude Adjustment

*~*~*~*~*^Just For Today!^*~*~*~*~*

Inspiration
>From "This Spirit Touch":
"At some time, perhaps in a more moderate way, nearly everyone has experienced this spirit touch of God" the fleeting
feeling of insight, love, joy, and 'The world is right.' Once, I thought that only unusual circumstances made these
moments possible. Actually, I now think, they are forecasts of what one can have if one is willing to take the time and
make the effort. Peace, love, and joy can be sought through quiet thinking and honest prayer. The wholeness, the new
awareness, that is produced affects one's relationship with God and man to a degree greater than would seem possible
in ordinary life."
AAWS, Inc.; Came to Believe, 30th printing 2004, pg. 65

*~*~*~*~*^ Grapevine Quote ^*~*~*~*~*

"The AA program does not recognize walls. It is immune to the conditions which break down an individual relationship,
the difference in social levels, of intellect, of experience. AA takes no heed of this. It has one primary law, help your
fellow man and do it by example rather than by instruction."
Walla Walla,Wash., February 1955
"Prisoner AA,"
AA Grapevine

~*~*~*~*^ Big Book & Twelve N' Twelve Quotes of the Day ^*~*~*~*~*

"We do not like to pronounce any individual as alcoholic, but you can
quickly diagnose yourself, Step over to the nearest barroom and try
some controlled drinking. Try to drink and stop abruptly. Try it
more than once. It will not take long for you to decide, if you are
honest with yourself about it. It may be worth a bad case of jitters
if you get a full knowledge of your condition."
~Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, More About Alcoholism, pg. 31~

"Step Eleven suggests prayer and meditation. We shouldn't be shy
on this matter of prayer. Better men than we are using it constantly."
Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, Into Action, pg. 85

It is worth noting that people of very high spiritual development almost always insist on checking with friends or spiritual
advisers the guidance they feel they have received from God.
-Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions p. 60

Misc. AA Literature - Quote

Obstacles in Our Path
We live in a world riddled with envy. To a greater or lesser degree, everybody is infected with it. From this defect we
must surely get a warped yet definite satisfaction. Else why would we consume so much time wishing for what we have
not, rather than working for it, or angrily looking for attributes we shall never have, instead of adjusting to the fact, and
accepting it?
Each of us would like to live at peace with himself and with his fellows. We would like to be assured that the grace of
God can do for us what we cannot do for ourselves.
We have seen that character defects based upon shortsighted or unworthy desires are the obstacles that block our
path toward these objectives. We now clearly see that we have been making unreasonable demands upon ourselves,
upon others, and upon God.
TWELVE AND TWELVE
1. P. 67
2. P. 76

Prayer For The Day: Dear Lord, no matter how old I get I still feel young and naive. Grant me the wisdom to chose the right path. Guide me for I do not know the way.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote