View Single Post
Old 02-16-2016, 11:25 AM   #17
bluidkiti
Administrator

February 17

Wisdom for Today
Not every day in recovery goes smoothly. In fact, I have had a few days that just seemed a little better than a train wreck. When days like this happen, I need to go back to the basics. Don't drink or use, and go to a meeting, say the Serenity Prayer, call my sponsor and anything else I have to do to make it from the beginning of the day till the end of the day. One of the first things I need to do is get out of my heart. My emotions tend to run wild on these kinds of days. It is dangerous for me to get so wrapped up in my emotions. They can add fuel to the fire and make life crazy. My thinking at these times usually isn't much better. That is why it is so important for me to be comfortable and ready to ask for help. To quote the Big Book, "Without help it is too much for us."
On days when everything is spinning out of control, I really need help to gain a healthy perspective on life. I need other people. It is so easy for me to make everything a catastrophe. My friends in the program are quick to remind me of the principles of the program. They help me see the "big picture." I am reminded that even my worst days clean and sober are better than addiction. I am reminded where my strength comes from. I am reminded of choosing God's will for me and asking for His power to help me through my current troubles. Sometimes my friends can even get me to laugh at myself. It is amazing what friends can do. It is days like this that remind me that, "It works if you work it." Am I willing to go to any length?
Meditations for the Heart
Making it through days like I just described have a profound effect on me. My faith in the program and in my Higher Power is ultimately strengthened. It helps me build character. It helps me see that I really am grateful to have the program and my friends in recovery to fall back on. It is times like these that have really cemented the bond that I have with my sponsor. It also shows me that I can get through the tough times. The principles of surrender, turning it over, checking myself out, admitting my mistakes and renewing my relationship with God all have helped me through the tough times. One of the promises of the program is, "We will intuitively know how to handle situations that used to baffle us." Getting through the hard times is proof that the promises do come true. Am I grateful for the things I learn in getting through the hard times?
Petitions to my Higher Power
God,
I am not sure why hard times occur, but I am sure that You will help me get through them. I am grateful for the tools that I receive through the program. Most of all, I am grateful for the sense of hope that You provide to me when I need it most. My days are not all bad anymore, and I am sure that You will give me many more good days. Thank You for keeping me clean and sober today!
Amen.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing: