View Single Post
Old 10-21-2015, 08:42 AM   #2
bluidkiti
Administrator

October 2

Wisdom for Today

Birthdays, holidays and anniversaries always seemed to be a time when I would get carried away. I didn't mean to get out of control; I just wanted to have a good time. It was a special day, and I deserved it. Invariably I would drink and use too much, and the special day was ruined. Even if I didn't embarrass myself too badly, I would have problems remembering the next day. The things that I could recall weren't always pretty. You would think that my behavior would have been the opposite. You would think I would have been on good behavior because these were special days. Yet this just was not the case.

Even in early recovery, I found that special days and holidays were sometimes difficult. I would once again get caught up in the euphoria that drugs and alcohol would promise. It became important for me to plan how I would deal with these special days ahead of time. Spending time with family that supported my recovery and spending time with my friends around the tables became an important component in my plans. Now I have learned how to really celebrate these special times in recovery, and am I grateful! Do I plan to take care of my recovery on special days?

Meditations for the Heart

Today I celebrate new anniversaries -- Anniversaries of Recovery! There is something truly amazing about speaking up at a meeting and saying, "Yes, I have three months." It is more incredible to say one year, two years, ten years or more. I've been to some conventions and seen people celebrate 20, 30, 40, 50 or more years of being clean and sober. When you talk with these people and ask them how they did it, all of them tell you it is the program and a solid relationship with their Higher Power. What are you doing to make these special days happen in your life?

Petitions to my Higher Power

God,
Every day is special when it is lived clean and sober. Each day I receive is truly a gift from You. Let me treat this day as something special and enjoy the gift that it is. Help me daily recommit myself to the Twelve Steps and to a stronger relationship with You.

Amen.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing: