View Single Post
Old 10-21-2015, 09:04 AM   #8
bluidkiti
Administrator

October 8

Wisdom for Today

All addicts and alcoholics in recovery will face times when cravings or urges to drink or use will come into our life. For most of us this tends to happen early on in our recovery attempts. This is when that “voice of addiction” screams the loudest. But, even if we make it through these times, we are not immune from having cravings or urges to use come back into our lives. There is little we can do to change our physical response to abstinence. Our brains simply tell us that we are hungry or thirsty. When we experience drug hunger or get thirsty for a drink, we must act wisely and use the tools we are given in the program. We have to tell on our disease; we need to reach out and call someone who understands and talk it through. It will pass. However, when we get caught up in magical thinking and euphoric recall, it is easy to set ourselves up to fail. When I think about drinking or using, that “voice of addiction” reminds me of the good times. The fun I used to have and the camaraderie of my drinking buddies is what I want to focus on. This is dangerous.

I must train myself to remember the hard times and the consequences of my use. Rather than romancing the high, I must focus on the harm. I have to train myself to do that which seems unnatural to me. It is much easier to think about the good times rather than the bad times. Yet, I have learned that this must be my first defense. I must stop my “stinking thinking” and take action to protect myself from the voice of addiction that whispers in my ear. I need to see that the program can offer me everything that addiction did. I can find friends and laughter at meetings. I can find relief and real answers to my problems. I can find everything I need around the tables and on the phone, talking with people who understand. Do I have a concrete plan in place to deal with cravings or urges?

Meditations for the Heart

I can start each day new. I no longer have to carry the past with me wherever I go. Each new breath I take is a gift from God. For this I must be grateful. I can choose to keep walking in shame, or I can accept the forgiveness that God offers. If God only gave forgiveness to “good” people, where is the need for it? I believe that my Higher Power gives me forgiveness when I ask for it. It is His grace that provides this gift. I also need to respect the gift that is offered through my genuine desire to change the things I can. Recovery does not demand perfection, only progress. I must look carefully at each of the choices I make and ask myself, “What does God want me to do?” I must choose wisely. I know I will never get it perfect, but I can improve each day and with each breath. Do I recognize that God can and will forgive me?

Petitions to my Higher Power

God,

Today I need to be reminded of Your will for me. With each breath I take and each choice I face today, remind me of Your presence. Give me the courage and wisdom to make healthy choices each step of the way. Help me to both ask for and accept Your forgiveness in my life.

Amen.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing: