View Single Post
Old 11-30-2013, 07:29 PM   #6
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

My favorite slogan is "Let it begin with me."

It reminds me that my recovery is about me and not about the other person. No matter what someone says or does, it is about me, my thoughts and my actions.

The slogan that has probably helped me the most and is "Hesitate and Meditate." Stop before I think and react.
has helped me to change my old habits and behaviours
With it goes the slogan "Listen to Learn, Learn to Listen." It was always about me and what I needed. I had to learn to stop and listen to others and to what they had to say. Sometimes the best way you can help someone is to just listen to them.

But for the Grace of God - I would not be here. My name in real life means God's Gracious Gift. I did not think it was so for many years. I used and abused myself and allowed others to do so. I had to come to realize that I was loved, that this second chance at life was given to me, it was up to me to give back to others, the special gift that I had been given.

A slogan that I have problems with is "Easy Does It...but do it!" I seem to always go gung-ho at anything I do (except dishes), and I put all my energy into it, and then after go, go, going, I crash and go boom.

Today I took the bus downtown and back. I didn't do a lot more than what I needed to do and didn't even check out the whole market, only went to where I needed to go. I was grateful that the elevator was working and I didn't have to take the ramp. Yet for all of that, I came home and just had to go and have a lay down. My son called and woke me up, tried to stay up but just couldn't. Today I did after having a reasonable night sleep. I went the other day with just a couple of hours sleep and yet I had the same results.

So it is easy does it, do what you need to do when you need to do it! Many times, I would go so easy, I wouldn't get it done! I have never been good at doing things a little at a time. I don't even like to put a book down after I start reading it.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

I was broke and needed fixin' and my God and I are still working on it!

You can learn two things at a meeting. How to work your program and how NOT to work your program! Just because someone is in the rooms of recovery doesn't mean have it all together. A long-timer can hurt just as much as a newcomer. This is a 'One Day At A Time' program.

There are many slogans, I always looked at them as mini-steps. There are many of them besides the original one from AA and many have been added to the list by alcoholics and addicts.

Live and let live.
But for the grace of God...
Keep It Simple
Let go and let God
One day at a time
First Things First
Think, Think, Think
Easy Does It...but do it!
Just For Today
Use it or lose it
Utilize NOT criticize
Each day is a new beginning