View Single Post
Old 07-12-2017, 06:10 AM   #12
bluidkiti
Administrator

AA Thought for the Day

July 12, 2017

We Review
Returning home we find a place where we can be quiet for an hour, carefully reviewing what we have done.
We thank God from the bottom of our heart that we know Him better. Taking this book down from our shelf
we turn to the page which contains the twelve steps. Carefully reading the first five proposals we ask
if we have omitted anything, for we are building an arch through which we shall walk a free man at last.
- Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 75

Thought to Ponder
The Three "P's" -- Pause, Pray, Proceed.

AA-related 'Alconym'
G I F T S = Getting It From The Steps.

~*~A.A. Thoughts For The Day~*~

Belief
"Despite contrary indications,
I had little doubt that a mighty purpose and rhythm
underlay all.
How could there be so much of precise and immutable law,
and no intelligence?
I simply had to believe in a
Spirit of the Universe,
who knew neither time nor limitation."
- Bill W.
1976AAWS, Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 10

Thought to Consider . . .
Faith is not belief without proof;
it's trust without reservation.

*~*~*AACRONYMS*~*~*
A B C = Acceptance, Belief, Change

*~*~*~*~*^Just For Today!^*~*~*~*~*

Spirituality
>From "The Three Legacies of Alcoholics Anonymous":
"The liberals were the largest contingent and they had no objection to the use of the word "God" throughout the [Big]
book, but they were dead set against any other theological proposition. They would have nothing to do with doctrinal
issues. Spirituality, yes. But religion, no, positively no. Most of our members, they pointed out, believed in some sort of
deity. But when it came to theology we could not possibly agree among ourselves, so how could we write a book that
contained any such matter? There was no such thing as group opinion in these areas and there never could be.
Alcoholics who had tried the missions were forever complaining about this very thing. The alcoholic's unreasoning
rebellion against the specifically religious approach had severely handicapped the missions. The liberals said they did
not intend to be critical; they only wanted us to remember the hard facts. Those contentions could not be denied. It
was true that we could not agree on a religious basis for our fellowship and that the straight religious approach had
worked in relatively few cases."
2001 AAWS, Inc.; Alcoholics Anonymous Comes of Age, pg. 162-63

*~*~*~*~*^ Grapevine Quote ^*~*~*~*~*

"It seems to me that one of the major purposes of the last three Steps is to keep us from complacency, to keep us
growing so that we don't fall back into our old, sick ways and perhaps even into active alcoholism."
West Henrietta, New York, October 2007
"Step Ten: Up Close and Personal,"
Emotional Sobriety II

*~*~*~*~*^ Big Book & Twelve N' Twelve Quotes of the Day ^*~*~*~*~*

"We represent no particular faith or denomination. We are dealing only
with general principles common to most denominations."
~Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, Working With Others, Page 93~

"We found that as soon as we were able to lay aside prejudice and
express even a willingness to believe in a Power greater than
ourselves, we commenced to get results, even though it was impossible
for any of us to fully define or comprehend that Power, which is God."
~Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, We Agnostics, pg. 46~

"We grow by our willingness to face and rectify errors and convert them into assets."
-Alcoholics Anonymous p. 124 (The Family Afterward)

"Everywhere we saw failure and misery transformed by humility into priceless assets."
-Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions p. 75 (Step Seven)

Misc. AA Literature - Quote

Our first attempts at inventories are apt to prove very unrealistic. I used to be a champ at unrealistic self-appraisal. On certain occasion, I wanted to look at the part of my life which seemed good. Then I would greatly exaggerate whatever virtues I supposed I had attained. Next I would congratulate myself on the grand job I was doing in A.A.
Naturally this generated a terrible hankering for still more accomplishments, and still more approval. I was falling straight back into the pattern of my drinking days. Here were the same old goals power, fame, and applause. Besides, I had the best alibi known the spiritual objective made this utter nonsense seem perfectly right.

Prayer for the Day: Higher Power, thank You for taking my greatest liabilities and transforming them into my greatest assets.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote