View Single Post
Old 11-21-2017, 06:34 AM   #47
bluidkiti
Administrator

November 20

Quote of the Week

“You’ll never have it all together. That’s like eating once and for all."

I’ve wasted a lot of time and energy waiting for everything to be just right. But it’s never turned out that way. I felt like if only I could get that perfect job and make a certain amount of money, then I’d finally stop worrying. I did get the job, and I made even more money, yet I still had financial insecurity. I hoped that when I met the right woman, then I’d be complete. Turned out that was a complete mess. Finally, I knew that if I could only control and enjoy my drinking, then everything would be okay. Instead, I ended up in A.A.

As I sat in meetings for the first few months, I was sure that if I could only get 90 days, then I’d be okay. Then, at the nine month mark, I hoped I’d feel a lot better at a year. Then I waited to complete my Steps – for the second time! My experience has been that lots of my life gets better, but there are always other areas that need work. And sometimes, areas that I thought were fixed need some attention again. As I struggled to accept this, my sponsor reminded me of today’s quote.

When I remember that I’ll never have it all together, I can finally let go of the illusion of control. What a relief I feel as I turn my will and my life, once again, over to a God of my understanding. As soon as I empty myself of MY demands for the way I think things should be, I am able to accept and appreciate the way things are. As I set to work on a current gratitude list, I’m able to reflect on everything I’ve already been given. And that’s when I realize:

By not having it all together, I can remain open to the unexpected gifts yet to come.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote