View Single Post
Old 08-05-2014, 10:37 AM   #37
bluidkiti
Administrator

August 4

Quote of the Week

"Our neighbor's window looks much cleaner if we first wash our own."

Now that it's hot again, I've begun sleeping with the windows open to let some of the cooler evening air in. My neighbor must have the same idea because her window is open as well, and the sound of her TV carries in the still summer air making it hard to go to sleep sometimes. Even though she's 82 years old and probably hard of hearing and is the perfect neighbor otherwise, I easily become indignant and start with the, "How dare she!" How soon I tend to forget...

For years while drinking and using, I carried on like a madman. I played my music as loud as I could stand, late into the night, and often partied with friends and family on the patio next to my neighbor's living room. I had no awareness nor concern for anyone but myself, and through it all my neighbor remained calm and respectful and never said a word. You'd think that now that I'm in recovery I'd have more empathy and understanding, but that's not always my first reaction.

What I've found is that I have little initial tolerance for behaviors I used to practice with abandon. As an ex-smoker, for example, I'm an anti smoker now and am irritated and resentful if someone smokes within 20 feet of me. Through it all, I have learned to continually ask for understanding and tolerance from my Higher Power, and I've learned that it's up to me to take the high road and set the example with my behavior. And I find that when I do everything works out for the best.

I find that my neighbor's window looks much cleaner when I wash my own first.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote