View Single Post
Old 03-31-2016, 09:40 AM   #1
bluidkiti
Administrator

Default Wisdom For Today - April

April 1

Wisdom for Today
I did not choose to become an alcoholic or an addict. No one came to my school when I was growing up and said, "Who in here wants to be an alcoholic or an addict when they grow up?" I didn't raise my hand, and I didn't volunteer to have this affliction. No one chooses to become addicted. I started out just wanting to have a good time. Just like everyone else. I do not know what caused me to get this disease – genetics, my psychological make-up, social pressure or some combination of a lot of things. It does not matter. I have this disease.
I may not have chosen to become addicted to alcohol and drugs; but once I found out that I did have this problem, once my denial was broken, I became responsible for the choices I made regarding my recovery. I made the choice to continue going to meetings. I made the choice to work the steps. I made the choice to use my sponsor and the fellowship to help me along the way. Perhaps the only choice I did not make was God, as I understand Him. He chose me. Each day I have to make choices regarding my program. Each day I have to decide what I will value. Each day I have to make choices to do the next right thing. Each day I must walk the walk. For this I am responsible. Am I taking responsibility for my recovery?
Meditations for the Heart
"There is a time for every season under heaven." In fact, there is a proper time for everything. This is why the steps are numbered. This is why we must learn patience. I cannot hurry recovery. I must learn that I have to do things in a certain order. If I hurry things, I may do things at the wrong time leading to the wrong results. Timing is important, and this is why I had a sponsor to advise me when to do things in my recovery. This is why I listened to others at meetings to learn when to do things and in what order. If I tried to make amends before examining my character defects and my motives, I would have likely fallen on my face; or I would have hurt others further. I had to learn balance before I could risk stepping away from the chair holding me up. In the same way I had to learn balance in my recovery before I could even begin to trust my decisions. This is why I need to stop along the path and rest when it is needed. This is why I must ask for help and guidance when it is needed. Do I pause to consider timing along my journey?
Petitions to my Higher Power
God,
Taking responsibility is something I seldom did. Teach me responsibility in my recovery. Help me to listen for Your will for me, and provide me with the power I need to carry out Your desire. Help me to judge the timing of my behavior, and teach me to wait in patience when I need to. Let me seek out wisdom through others in the program who will show me the way.
Amen.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing:
Sponsored Links