View Single Post
Old 09-03-2016, 06:41 AM   #7
bluidkiti
Administrator

September 7

Wisdom for Today
Freedom is a concept that is too often difficult to grasp. I believe that too many addicts and alcoholics see freedom as meaning “no strings attached.” Certainly, when we were using, our view of freedom was distorted. We thought we were free to choose to use alcohol or drugs whenever we wanted. But this kind of freedom led to our bondage. Our disease imprisoned us. Addiction took control of our will. We were no longer able to make free choices. We had to use.

Freedom in recovery comes with a price. There is a string attached. Freedom in recovery requires responsibility. We may not be responsible for becoming addicted. Certainly none of us chose to be alcoholic or drug addicted, but we must choose to be responsible for our recovery. We are required to do “the next right thing” if we are to maintain our recovery program. We must be responsible and go to meetings, use our sponsors and work the steps. The freedom that recovery offers comes only with this string attached. Am I willing to be responsible for my recovery in order to find freedom?
Meditations for the Heart
Making the choice to be free is not something we can do all by ourselves. My will always wants to choose the wrong way to freedom. My will wants to find the easier, softer way. I believe that our will gets short-circuited in addiction. I believe addiction fries the circuits of the will. It is only by the grace of God that we are able to again choose the responsible path. Step Two talks of being restored to sanity. Do I recognize that my “Higher Power” is the only hope I have for being restored? Do I see that my circuitry needs to be rewired in order for me to make responsible choices that will lead me to freedom?
Petitions to my Higher Power
God,

Too many times I have tried to do it my way and failed. Help me to see that my only hope is through You. Help me to choose the responsible path to freedom in recovery. Help me to see that my way will not work and that I must rely on You to lead me to freedom.

Amen.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing: